Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Viscous Soda posted:

Wait...is this real? I thought the "Hairy Roberts" drink was a Goon creation to mock the drink mixing mini-game bullshit?

I mean, we're deep in a sorta Poe's law of video game creation now, where parody and Crobberts actual development are indistinguishable, so I dunno.

The Hairy Roberts is indeed a Goon creation to mock the drink mixing minigame and Sandi's alleged hate of pubes.

That post and image are the drink mixing minigame concept that is being mocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tokamak posted:

desperation is setting in

Good news for this guy is that those version numbers literally mean nothing to Chris Roberts.

There's been stuff he's said "would be in" several numbers ago that aren't in today. Vaulting and stuff or whatever?

They can just say "oh look, 2.6 guys!" And it includes nothing new. Can do exactly the same for 3.0.

The only people moving the goal posts is CIG. The only people letting them get away with it are the backers.

Sorry you're getting scammed I guess. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

2DCAT posted:

please tell me that this is in whatever it is that they're calling 'the game' these days.

It's one of the 700 game mechanics that are promised and have huge written concepts about.

This was part of the passenger liner they sold a long time ago.

It also had in-game movies where the rarity of the movies you could find would affect passenger happiness.

It also had passenger illnesses.

It also featured server blades that could short out and would need to be replaced.

The drink mixing game was for mixing drinks to give to various passengers asking for those drinks.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but it doesn't matter. This is the kind of poo poo Roberts promises people and they seriously think this is all possible, and it will work in a seamless MMO environment where your passenger liner could pass another passenger liner and you can all look at each other doing all these things through the windows of the ships, while on the other side is a space war.

People genuinely believe this kind of stuff is possible to happen, in a game that can't make a demo video, within a year.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Viscous Soda posted:

Wait...is this real? I thought the "Hairy Roberts" drink was a Goon creation to mock the drink mixing mini-game bullshit?

I mean, we're deep in a sorta Poe's law of video game creation now, where parody and Crobberts actual development are indistinguishable, so I dunno.

This stuff is so crazy it parodies itself.

Most of what people talk about is actual crap promised by Roberts, sometimes with huge multi-page documentation about how they will work.

This is why Star Citizen will never come out, barring it being chopped into 1/1000 of what all has been actually promised.

The really funny part is even with these hilarious promises, Chris Roberts doesn't focus on them. Instead he just comes up with a totally new idea nobody knows about and everybody builds that.

Like if he built a demo that was his passenger liner with all the poo poo he promised it would have in it. That would be progress people could see!

Instead you get Tuscan Raiders out of nowhere, the Dune sand worm, and a desert planet that has nothing to do with space in the space game. Even their demo is zero progress towards these goals.

Chris Roberts doesn't care about his crazy promises, and nobody cares. The game makes no forward progress anywhere and nobody cares.

This is literally the very core of why most people feel this is a huge scam. It's impossible, CIG knows it's impossible, but keeps going anyway, down totally different tracks every other day.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You mean multi-page documents by citizens right? Because I'm pretty sure the only multi-page documents CIG has are Croberts' insane gamergate rant and the IRON CLAD tos.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Marching Powder posted:

drat. I was told that if I stopped making fun of people and making them feel insecure in a mean way, and just stated my argument with compassion for their feelings and used the shift key, I might get better results.

turns out, the insecure retards that don't like being made to feel worthless in their safe space don't like to be made to feel worthless no matter how you phrase it or whether or not you use the shift key. let that be a lesson to whichever one of you stupid assholes keep going on about using capitals at the start of every sentence somehow making what you've got to say more worthwhile, you're a liar and possibly the stupidest retard of them all

nice beltdown

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Viscous Soda posted:

I was actually unsure after you said that, incoming transmission: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14804-Design-Civilian-Passenger-Transport

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Titanic posted:

Also: I'd never play a game like what this guy thinks would attract a woman.
There are tons of them http://lparchive.org/Girl-Games/

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Dunno what you guys are on about crazy promises? I for one am looking forward to playing pool in the rec room of my Polaris while the ship pitches and rolls through space.

Furthermore, I will be relaxing in my jacuzzi on board whatever stupid jpeg was supposed to have one. Maybe someone will turn off gravity while I'm chillaxin' and StarEngine™ will simulate the water droplets floating around the ship and floating into electronics which will short out and I'll need to repair them in the electronics mini-game lol

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Conspiratiorist posted:

The Hairy Roberts is indeed a Goon creation to mock the drink mixing minigame and Sandi's alleged hate of pubes.

That post and image are the drink mixing minigame concept that is being mocked.

Its real, I can sorta make it out in the official pic, and check this out http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/06/27/star-citizen-shows-its-ambition-once-more-with-the-genesis-starliner/

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Any time a friend recommends a game you don't want to play just say, "why dont we just wait for Star Citizen?" and see how they react.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nnoooOOOOO DON'T GIVE ME FLASHBACKS TO THOSE HORRIBLE GAMES

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Let's not forget the deeper metagame Croberts has devised for the mixmaster - flying to far flung galaxies to purchase obscure craft ales and artisan space vodkas from Alien neckbeards gains you bonus points ..

"Go the extra mile and purchase your liquors at an obscure moon off the beaten path – which might take a bit longer, and cost a bit more – and you’ll find that it’s a bit easier to maintain a sterling reputation given how ecstatic your passengers will be at the high quality drinks you’re serving in flight."

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Hey guys, I'm gonna take my Polaris out for a spin tonight so I'm looking for some crew members. Looking to fill the following roster...

1 x Co-pilot
1 x Comms Officer
1 x Remote Turret Officer
1 x Deputy Captain/Pilot depending on which role I don't want to do at the time
5 x Turret Gunners
1 x Torpedo Room Operative
1 x Small Fighter Pilot

Will have space to take along a bunch of passengers in people want to come along to hang out in the recreation room and grab something to eat or sleep or whatever.

Not sure what I'm planning yet, probably just travel about for a few hours sight-seeing. Sign up now!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I know all about the slides for the (obviously thought up during that same day) roadmap for the upcoming alpha builds as far as their "big" tasks go, but since development is open, do they keep a detailed roadmap anywhere where they list every single thing they have promised and their actual broken down tasks to reach a release build, crossing out those that they have reached/ implemented in past builds, while dumping the rest for future planned builds?

I guess I am asking if there is a detailed trac roadmap or something similar for this mismanaged project. Examples:
http://trac.wildfiregames.com/roadmap (see the tickets page for each milestone)
or
https://bugs.mtasa.com/roadmap_page.php

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

AbstractNapper posted:

I know all about the slides for the (obviously thought up during that same day) roadmap for the upcoming alpha builds as far as their "big" tasks go, but since development is open, do they keep a detailed roadmap anywhere where they list every single thing they have promised and their actual broken down tasks to reach a release build, crossing out those that they have reached/ implemented in past builds, while dumping the rest for future planned builds?

I guess I am asking if there is a detailed trac roadmap or something similar for this mismanaged project. Examples:
or

No.

e. To expand on this. You would think so wouldn't you? What with the 'open development' and all. But, No. They won't provide a roadmap, they won't set any deadlines and any feature which is promised is subject to be changed, delayed or cancelled at any time... Oh, and they might not even tell you if they do!

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 22, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AbstractNapper posted:

or

Haha, I don't think they even have a roadmap internally (since everything depends on Crobert's whims) and even if they had it they sure as hell won't release anything that has any sort of actual detail, because the ingrates who fund the whole thing may then become entitled and demand they get what they were promised.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Didn't one of the devs say something to the effect of "how could you have a roadmap for a project like this?" Unironically.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Wrecked Angle posted:

Hey guys, I'm gonna take my Polaris out for a spin tonight so I'm looking for some crew members. Looking to fill the following roster...

1 x Co-pilot
1 x Comms Officer
5 x Turret Gunners
1 x Small Fighter Pilot

Will have space to take along a bunch of passengers in people want to come along to hang out in the recreation room and grab something to eat or sleep or whatever.

Not sure what I'm planning yet, probably just travel about for a few hours sight-seeing. Sign up now!

Can I be a torpedo

ether
May 20, 2001

AbstractNapper posted:

or

"Roadmaps distract developers, that's why we don't have one" a choice quote by Ben Lesnick, master of ships?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Marching Powder posted:

drat. I was told that if I stopped making fun of people and making them feel insecure in a mean way, and just stated my argument with compassion for their feelings and used the shift key, I might get better results.

turns out, the insecure retards that don't like being made to feel worthless in their safe space don't like to be made to feel worthless no matter how you phrase it or whether or not you use the shift key. let that be a lesson to whichever one of you stupid assholes keep going on about using capitals at the start of every sentence somehow making what you've got to say more worthwhile, you're a liar and possibly the stupidest retard of them all

MP, I don't think you're a bad poster or anything, but you're not posting with a point really. It doesn't really matter if the lurkers enjoy reading offtopic chat or not cause if they don't they will go read a different thread. By the same turn, this is the Star CItizen thread in the Star Citizen subforum almost no one cares about outside of it and if it's just gonna be animal pictures, food talk, occasional reddit quotes, and anti-CIG shitposts then just let it be.

The mod of this forum doesn't care what we talk about, most of the regular readers who frequently post enjoy it, and it's only like you and a couple other dudes who vocally want us to stop. Not to be rude, but even if every single lurker got together and posted at us to stop it wouldn't matter dicks because the people actually keeping the thread moving want to engage in this sort of off-topic junk. If you think this thread isn't on point enough the actual solution is to make your own on point thread and police that; talking at people who enjoy chatposting isn't going to make this a no-cruft thread

tl;dr just let it be man

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm pretty much just here for Kayak pics at this point

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Charles Get-Out posted:

MP, I don't think you're a bad poster or anything, but you're not posting with a point really. It doesn't really matter if the lurkers enjoy reading offtopic chat or not cause if they don't they will go read a different thread. By the same turn, this is the Star CItizen thread in the Star Citizen subforum almost no one cares about outside of it and if it's just gonna be animal pictures, food talk, occasional reddit quotes, and anti-CIG shitposts then just let it be.

The mod of this forum doesn't care what we talk about, most of the regular readers who frequently post enjoy it, and it's only like you and a couple other dudes who vocally want us to stop. Not to be rude, but even if every single lurker got together and posted at us to stop it wouldn't matter dicks because the people actually keeping the thread moving want to engage in this sort of off-topic junk. If you think this thread isn't on point enough the actual solution is to make your own on point thread and police that; talking at people who enjoy chatposting isn't going to make this a no-cruft thread

tl;dr just let it be man

Seconded. MP, I understand why you don't like the off-topic chat but you can't rely on us to change just because the 'silent majority' wills it. Anyone can claim the support of hundreds upon thousands of theoretical participants, but it's meaningless if they remain strictly theoretical. At this point, you're the most annoying poster in this thread. If you don't like the thread, make your own. If you don't want to do that, why not just ignore all the low-quality posters? At least then you wouldn't have to read their posts. You might argue that this is only a partial solution, but it's a solution for a problem you are forcing upon yourself. You might argue the solution only affects you, but to that I merely point to my above statement concerning theoretical participants.

It also occurs to me that you may argue that the random off-topic posting is driving off participants. In that case, I again ask that you consider that making your own thread is the solution.

Furthermore,

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Just let him make his own thread and see how many people post there.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

Just let him make his own thread and see how many people post there.

Nobody would even have to post there except him. He could just play curator. Come into this thread, comb through the shitposts, and quote the posts he approved of in that new thread. It'd basically be an archive of all the informative, on-topic things mentioned in this thread. Frankly, he'd be doing us all a service. Think how much easier it'd be to introduce new people to the shitshow with that kind of resource at our disposal?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Pilz posted:

Nobody would even have to post there except him. He could just play curator. Come into this thread, comb through the shitposts, and quote the posts he approved of in that new thread. It'd basically be an archive of all the informative, on-topic things mentioned in this thread. Frankly, he'd be doing us all a service. Think how much easier it'd be to introduce new people to the shitshow with that kind of resource at our disposal?

Isn't that what Derek does with his blogs?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Can I be a torpedo

I'll take a position in the space toilet so nobody else can go.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

Isn't that what Derek does with his blogs?

The common Marching Powder desires brevity above all else.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

I'll take a position in the space toilet so nobody else can go.

If you flush, you'll be the torpedo.

Christ, future warships fighting with poop fired at .2 C. Why did my mind go there.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Charles Get-Out posted:

tl;dr just let it be man

holy poo poo a contrary position not consisting of memes of any sort. this deserves a response

cig are the ones that keep this thread moving, not the pedants on con-chat, keyboard chat etc.

moderators are here to make sure no forum rules are broken, the community dictates standard of posting. i'm just suggesting the bar can be higher than literally not existent, and suggest the lowest possible setting of at least staying on topic. the earnest defensiveness in response to that suggestion is amusing to me

does it not bother you in any way to suggest that i not post in the way that amuses me while defending the rights of others to chat about literally nothing because they have nothing of value to say?

lastly, the 'make your own thread' poo poo is so bafflingly stupid because i'm arguing against anything other than the stupidity of cig having any business in this forum because literally nobody gives a poo poo

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Marching Powder posted:

holy poo poo a contrary position not consisting of memes of any sort. this deserves a response

cig are the ones that keep this thread moving, not the pedants on con-chat, keyboard chat etc.

moderators are here to make sure no forum rules are broken, the community dictates standard of posting. i'm just suggesting the bar can be higher than literally not existent, and suggest the lowest possible setting of at least staying on topic. the earnest defensiveness in response to that suggestion is amusing to me

does it not bother you in any way to suggest that i not post in the way that amuses me while defending the rights of others to chat about literally nothing because they have nothing of value to say?

lastly, the 'make your own thread' poo poo is so bafflingly stupid because i'm arguing against anything other than the stupidity of cig having any business in this forum because literally nobody gives a poo poo

Capitalization Rules

Capitalization is the writing of a word with its first letter in uppercase and the remaining letters in lowercase. Experienced writers are stingy with capitals. It is best not to use them if there is any doubt.

Rule 1. Capitalize the first word of a document and the first word after a period.

Rule 2. Capitalize proper nouns—and adjectives derived from proper nouns.

Examples:
the Golden Gate Bridge
the Grand Canyon
a Russian song
a Shakespearean sonnet
a Freudian slip

With the passage of time, some words originally derived from proper nouns have taken on a life, and authority, of their own and no longer require capitalization.

Examples:
herculean (from the ancient-Greek hero Hercules)
quixotic (from the hero of the classic novel Don Quixote)
draconian (from ancient-Athenian lawgiver Draco)

The main function of capitals is to focus attention on particular elements within any group of people, places, or things. We can speak of a lake in the middle of the country, or we can be more specific and say Lake Michigan, which distinguishes it from every other lake on earth.

Capitalization Reference List

Brand names
Companies
Days of the week and months of the year
Governmental matters
Congress (but congressional), the U.S. Constitution (but constitutional), the Electoral College, Department of Agriculture. Note: Many authorities do not capitalize federal or state unless it is part of the official title: State Water Resources Control Board, but state water board; Federal Communications Commission, but federal regulations.
Historical episodes and eras
the Inquisition, the American Revolutionary War, the Great Depression
Holidays
Institutions
Oxford College, the Juilliard School of Music
Manmade structures
the Empire State Building, the Eiffel Tower, the Titanic
Manmade territories
Berlin, Montana, Cook County
Natural and manmade landmarks
Mount Everest, the Hoover Dam
Nicknames and epithets
Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson; Babe Ruth, the Sultan of Swat
Organizations
American Center for Law and Justice, Norwegian Ministry of the Environment
Planets
Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, but policies vary on capitalizing earth, and it is usually not capitalized unless it is being discussed specifically as a planet: We learned that Earth travels through space at 66,700 miles per hour.
Races, nationalities, and tribes
Eskimo, Navajo, East Indian, Caucasian, African American (Note: white and black in reference to race are lowercase)
Religions and names of deities
Note: Capitalize the Bible (but biblical). Do not capitalize heaven, hell, the devil, satanic.
Special occasions
the Olympic Games, the Cannes Film Festival
Streets and roads

Lowercase Reference List

Here is a list of categories not capitalized unless an item contains a proper noun or proper adjective (or, sometimes, a trademark). In such cases, only the proper noun or adjective is capitalized.

Animals
antelope, black bear, Bengal tiger, yellow-bellied sapsucker, German shepherd
Elements
Always lowercase, even when the name is derived from a proper noun: einsteinium, nobelium, californium
Foods
Lowercase except for brand names, proper nouns and adjectives, or custom-named recipes: Tabasco sauce, Russian dressing, pepper crusted bluefin tuna, Mandy's Bluefin Surprise
Heavenly bodies besides planets
Never capitalize the moon or the sun.
Medical conditions
Epstein-Barr syndrome, tuberculosis, Parkinson's disease
Minerals
Plants, vegetables, and fruits
poinsettia, Douglas fir, Jerusalem artichoke, organic celery, Golden Delicious apples
Seasons and seasonal data
spring, summertime, the winter solstice, the autumnal equinox, daylight saving time

Rule 3. A thorny aspect of capitalization: where does it stop? When does the Iraq war become the Iraq War? Why is the legendary Hope Diamond not the Hope diamond? Everyone writes New York City, so why does the Associated Press Stylebook recommend New York state? There aren't always easy formulas or logical explanations. Research with reference books and search engines is the best strategy.

In the case of brand names, companies are of little help, because they capitalize any word that applies to their merchandise. Domino's Pizza or Domino's pizza? Is it Ivory Soap or Ivory soap, a Hilton Hotel or a Hilton hotel? Most writers don't capitalize common nouns that simply describe the products (pizza, soap, hotel), but it's not always easy to determine where a brand name ends. There is Time magazine but also the New York Times Magazine. No one would argue with Coca-Cola or Pepsi Cola, but a case could be made for Royal Crown cola.

If a trademark starts with a lowercase word or letter (e.g., eBay, iPhone), many authorities advise capitalizing it to begin a sentence.

Example: EBay opened strong in trading today.

Rule 4. Capitalize titles when they are used before names, unless the title is followed by a comma. Do not capitalize the title if it is used after a name or instead of a name.

Examples:
The president will address Congress.
Chairman of the Board William Bly will preside at the conference.
The chairman of the board, William Bly, will preside.
The senators from Iowa and Ohio are expected to attend.
Also expected to attend are Senators Buzz James and Eddie Twain.
The governors, lieutenant governors, and attorneys general called for a special task force.
Governor Fortinbrass, Lieutenant Governor Poppins, and Attorney General Dalloway will attend.

NOTE

Out of respect, some writers and publishers choose to capitalize the highest ranks in government, royalty, religion, etc.

Examples:
The President arrived.
The Queen spoke.
The Pope decreed.

Many American writers believe this to be a wrongheaded policy in a country where, theoretically, all humans are perceived as equal.

Rule 5. Titles are not the same as occupations. Do not capitalize occupations before full names.

Examples:
director Steven Spielberg
owner Helen Smith
coach Biff Sykes

Sometimes the line between title and occupation gets blurred. One example is general manager: is it a title or an occupation? Opinions differ. Same with professor: the Associated Press Stylebook considers professor a job description rather than a title, and recommends using lowercase even before the full name: professor Robert Ames.

However, titles replacing someone's first name are generally capitalized.

Example: Here comes Professor Ames.

Rule 6a. Capitalize a formal title when it is used as a direct address. The more formal the title, the more likely it is to be capitalized.

Examples:
Will you take my temperature, Doctor?
We're sorry to report, Captain, that we're headed for choppy waters.
That's what you say, mister.
Good afternoon, sweetheart.

Rule 6b. Capitalize relatives' family names (kinship names) when they immediately precede a personal name, or when they are used alone in place of a personal name.

Examples:
I found out that Mom is here.
You look good, Grandpa.
Andy and Opie loved Aunt Bee's apple pies.

However, these monikers are not capitalized when they are used with possessive nouns or pronouns, or when they follow the personal name, or when they do not refer to a specific person.

Examples:
My mom is here.
Joe's grandpa looks well.
The James brothers were notorious robbers.
There's not one mother I know who would allow that.

Rule 6c. Capitalize nicknames in all cases.

Examples:
Meet my brothers, Junior and Scooter.
I just met two guys named Junior and Scooter.

Rule 7. Capitalize specific geographical regions. Do not capitalize points of the compass.

Examples:
We had three relatives visit from the West.
Go west three blocks and then turn left.
We left Florida and drove north.
We live in the Southeast.
We live in the southeast section of town.
Most of the West Coast is rainy this time of year. (referring to the United States)
The west coast of Scotland is rainy this time of year.

Some areas have come to be capitalized for their fame or notoriety:

Examples:
I'm from New York's Upper West Side.
I'm from the South Side of Chicago.
You live in Northern California; he lives in Southern California.

Rule 8. In general, do not capitalize the word the before proper nouns.

Examples:
We visited the Grand Canyon.
They're fans of the Grateful Dead.

In special cases, if the word the is an inseparable part of something's official title, it may be capitalized.

Example: We visited The Hague.

Rule 9. It is not necessary to capitalize city, town, county, etc., if it comes before the proper name.

Examples:
the city of New York
New York City
the county of Marin
Marin County

Rule 10a. Always capitalize the first word in a complete quotation, even midsentence.

Example: Lamarr said, "The case is far from over, and we will win."

Rule 10b. Do not capitalize quoted material that continues a sentence.

Example: Lamarr said that the case was "far from over" and that "we will win."

Rule 11. For emphasis, writers sometimes capitalize a midsentence independent clause or question.

Examples:
One of her cardinal rules was, Never betray a friend.
It made me wonder, What is mankind's destiny?

Rule 12. Capitalize the names of specific course titles, but not general academic subjects.

Examples:
I must take history and Algebra 101.
He has a double major in European economics and philosophy.

Rule 13. Capitalize art movements.

Example: I like Surrealism, but I never understood Abstract Expressionism.

Rule 14. Do not capitalize the first item in a list that follows a colon.

Example: Bring the following: paper, a pencil, and a snack.

For more on capitalization after a colon, go to "Colons," Rules 1, 3, and 4.

Rule 15. Do not capitalize "the national anthem."

Rule 16a. Composition titles: which words should be capitalized in titles of books, plays, films, songs, poems, essays, chapters, etc.? This is a vexing matter, and policies vary. The usual advice is to capitalize only the "important" words. But this isn't really very helpful. Aren't all words in a title important?

The following rules for capitalizing composition titles are virtually universal.

Capitalize the title's first and last word.
Capitalize all adjectives, adverbs, and nouns.
Capitalize all pronouns (including it).
Capitalize all verbs, including the verb to be in all forms (is, are, was, has been, etc.).
Capitalize no, not, and the interjection O (e.g., How Long Must I Wait, O Lord?).
Do not capitalize an article (a, an, the) unless it is first or last in the title.
Do not capitalize a coordinating conjunction (and, or, nor, but, for, yet, so) unless it is first or last in the title.
Do not capitalize the word to, with or without an infinitive, unless it is first or last in the title.

Otherwise, styles, methods, and opinions vary; for instance, certain short conjunctions (e.g., as, if, how, that) are capped by some, lowercased by others.

A major bone of contention is prepositions. The Associated Press Stylebook recommends capitalizing all prepositions of more than three letters (e.g., with, about, across). Other authorities advise lowercase until a preposition reaches five or more letters. Still others say not to capitalize any preposition, even big words like regarding or underneath.

Hyphenated words in a title also present problems. There are no set rules, except to always capitalize the first element, even if it would not otherwise be capitalized, such as to in My To-go Order (some would write My To-Go Order). Some writers, editors, and publishers choose not to capitalize words following hyphens unless they are proper nouns or proper adjectives (Ex-Marine but Ex-husband). Others capitalize any word that would otherwise be capped in titles (Prize-Winning, Up-to-Date).

Rule 16b. Many books have subtitles. When including these, put a colon after the work's title and follow the same rules of composition capitalization for the subtitle.

Example: The King's English: A Guide to Modern Usage
Note that A is capitalized because it is the first word of the subtitle.

Note that A is capitalized because it is the first word of the subtitle.

Suppose you are reviewing a book whose title on the cover is in capital letters: THE STUFF OF THOUGHT. Beneath, in smaller capital letters, is the subtitle, LANGUAGE AS A WINDOW INTO HUMAN NATURE. All sides would agree that the main title should be written, The Stuff of Thought. But depending on which capitalization policy you choose, the subtitle might be any of the following:

Language As a Window Into Human Nature
Language as a Window Into Human Nature
Language As a Window into Human Nature
Language as a Window into Human Nature

Any title of more than two words can be a challenge. How would you capitalize a title such as not yet rich? Since the first and last word in any title are always capitalized, the only question is whether to cap yet. In this case, yet is an adverb, and adverbs are always capped. So make it Not Yet Rich.

Now suppose the title is rich yet miserable. This time yet is one of the seven coordinating conjunctions (the others are and, or, nor, but, for, and so). Since coordinating conjunctions are not capitalized in titles, the right answer is Rich yet Miserable.

Here are two correctly capitalized titles: Going up the Road and Going Up in a Balloon. In the first title, up is a preposition, and short prepositions are not capitalized. In the second title, Up is an adverb and should be capped.

Along the same lines, compare the following three sentences: I Got It off the Internet, Please Put It Off for Today, and I Hit the Off Switch. In the first example, the preposition off is lowercase. But the word must be capped in the second example because put off, meaning "to postpone," is a two-word phrasal verb (a verb of two or more words). One-word verbs, helping verbs, and phrasal verbs are always capitalized. Off is also capped in the third sentence because the word functions as an adjective in that title, and adjectives are always capitalized.

Although the seven coordinating conjunctions are not capitalized, you may have noticed there are many more than seven conjunctions in English. Most of these are called subordinating conjunctions, because they join a subordinate clause to a main clause. Familiar examples include as, although, before, since, until, when.

There are three approaches to capping subordinating conjunctions: capitalize them all, lowercase them all, or capitalize them if they are words of four letters or more. Take your pick.

Capitalizing composition titles is fraught with gray areas. Pick a policy and be consistent.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You know, say what you want about the food derails, the box derail, the "lets laugh at bens crippling weight and deflection problems powrr hour" and whatever else this thread talks about, but the shittiest derail of them all is Marching Powder whining for 6 straight pages.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

I think the sticking point here is that it doesn't seem like you're enjoying yourself. If you are, good for you I guess?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Wrecked Angle posted:

1 x Co-pilot
1 x Comms Officer
5 x Turret Gunners
1 x Small Fighter Pilot

Can I be a stollaway hiding in a Big Benny vending machine? (is the mini-game for that finish yet or should I just load up Tiger Wood's Golf and play that while I'm hidden?)

Is Marching Powered coming along as the ships sheriff?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You know, say what you want about the food derails, the box derail, the "lets laugh at bens crippling weight and deflection problems powrr hour" and whatever else this thread talks about, but the shittiest derail of them all is Marching Powder whining for 6 straight pages.

nah, the ben fat, box 'jokes', getting the mentally ill guy to post for 24 hours straight without getting any funnier, and engaging lazrin for ~300 posts and then pleading with mods to probate him because he's irritating you are all way worse. you think they aren't because i'm making fun of you and people like you and that makes you uncomfortable and self conscious. i saw you post several dozen words at takaroshe recently, receive retarded meme answers, then write another few dozen at him for a similar response. why didn't you find that derail unfunny jobbo? is it because it was you doing the laughing at the retarded person?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pilz posted:

Seconded. MP, I understand why you don't like the off-topic chat but you can't rely on us to change just because the 'silent majority' wills it. Anyone can claim the support of hundreds upon thousands of theoretical participants, but it's meaningless if they remain strictly theoretical. At this point, you're the most annoying poster in this thread. If you don't like the thread, make your own. If you don't want to do that, why not just ignore all the low-quality posters? At least then you wouldn't have to read their posts. You might argue that this is only a partial solution, but it's a solution for a problem you are forcing upon yourself. You might argue the solution only affects you, but to that I merely point to my above statement concerning theoretical participants.

It also occurs to me that you may argue that the random off-topic posting is driving off participants. In that case, I again ask that you consider that making your own thread is the solution.

Furthermore,

Thirded, no wait, marching powder is the worst poster in this thread by far. At least Lazrin comes to the thread to shill, MP is just here to... well, I don't really know but he sucks at it.

But I do agree about MP making his own thread, and then being probated if that thread doesn't have the right amount of quality posting, as determined by a secret group of goons with good taste that may or may not include MoMA.

Marching Powder posted:

And I'm just suggesting that, since you don't like the thread and contribute nothing to it (I post links to the reddt idiocy) maybe you could make your own thread where the bar is higher?

Marching Powder posted:

nah, the ben fat, box 'jokes', getting the mentally ill guy to post for 24 hours straight without getting any funnier, and engaging lazrin for ~300 posts and then pleading with mods to probate him because he's irritating you are all way worse. you think they aren't because i'm making fun of you and people like you and that makes you uncomfortable and self conscious. i saw you post several dozen words at takaroshe recently, receive retarded meme answers, then write another few dozen at him for a similar response. why didn't you find that derail unfunny jobbo? is it because it was you doing the laughing at the retarded person?

Because that was not a derail? You seem completely unable to grasp what this thread is about.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 22, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

trucutru posted:

Because that was not a derail? You seem completely unable to grasp what this thread is about.

hahaha i was making a parallel about making idiots feeling all worried and self-conscious being fun. citizens would have found jobbo's words 'terrible' and 'worse than lazrin' but jobbo was just having fun making fun of someone somehow more stupid than him.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
lol

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
this thread truly has everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

scrubs season six posted:

It's 100% real and CIG created, it just isn't in the game yet. Maybe soon!

Star Citizen is like homeopathy at this point. The more it is diluted, the better the citizens believe it to be.

gently caress, maybe we are all playing Star Citizen right now. :raise:

• Locked thread