Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Outrail posted:

Uh, how does he do anything with one loving finger?
They were all amputated at the second joint from the top except for his right thumb, so he still has usable stubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

GTO posted:

Wow, 5000m isn't even that high, relatively speaking. You can drive that high in parts of the Andes and Himalayas.

Altitude hits harder if you're exhausted/dehydrated/etc.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Altitude sickness can affect you if you gain elevation too quickly too, I've had it at 9400' because I drove from 3200' to 8000' in about an hour and a half then hiked up at too fast a pace.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
There's so many environmental and physiological variables at play in altitude sickness that there's no way to definitively predict it who will get it at what altitude. It's very much a "watch for it and take steps to mitigate and treat it if it comes up" kinda thing. It sounds like they made all the sensible choices in reaction to her symptoms, and it just didn't work out. RIP cool-as-hell-sounding Parks Canada lady :(

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/11/sports-illustrated-mount-everest-climb-vr/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The idea of this is really neat, and I hope they don't screw it all up with voiceovers and floating text and production values, trying to make it into a movie rather than just stringing together the raw footage.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
was it everest or a different mountain that a google exec instagrammed drinking coffee talking about how safe the mountain was then died the next day?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Jose posted:

was it everest or a different mountain that a google exec instagrammed drinking coffee talking about how safe the mountain was then died the next day?

everest.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Everything is packed. I'm flying to Kathmandu tomorrow. If everything works according to plan, I'm in Lukla on friday, Namche Basar on saturday and Base Camp on november 2nd.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dead on November 3rd.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

Dead on November 3rd.

Or earlier.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

elwood posted:

Or earlier.

Make sure you update this thread when you die so we can make the appropriate photoshops and so on.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Paramemetic posted:

Make sure you update this thread when you die so we can make the appropriate photoshops and so on.

I will instruct my social media team immediately.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

elwood posted:

Everything is packed. I'm flying to Kathmandu tomorrow. If everything works according to plan, I'm in Lukla on friday, Namche Basar on saturday and Base Camp on november 2nd.

http://youtu.be/gvKs2VLmVnY

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

elwood posted:

Good luck! I'm on the Annapurna Circuit at the moment and it's pretty drat amazing. Especially since most teahouses have WiFi.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aapadr4PEY8

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

An excerpt from a new book about mountaineering by Gabriel Filippi. It's pretty sobering, though this part's blackly comedic.

quote:

Frank had been sitting there for just over a year. He’d climbed to the top without oxygen, but he’d been so focused on that goal, he’d refused help from everyone else on the mountain, even as it became clear to those around him that he wasn’t going to make it. When he sat down to catch his breath at the base of the wall, he slipped into a coma and died. His death was a result of high-altitude cerebral edema. But it was entirely self-imposed. He’d succumbed to the one danger that scared me the most, the one you can’t see: the danger from within.

Frank’s face was masked by a twenty-centimetre layer of fresh snow. A year earlier, just before his death, he’d told me how he planned to stand on the summit with a banner above his head, asking his girlfriend to marry him. Now I’d been asked by that same girlfriend to remove his corpse from the well-worn path to the summit. She didn’t like the fact that people stopped to look at him on their way up the mountain.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Update: I'm in Namche Right now. Still alive

elwood fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 22, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dead man posting

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Basecamp hike only, iirc

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Shangri-Law School posted:

An excerpt from a new book about mountaineering by Gabriel Filippi. It's pretty sobering, though this part's blackly comedic.

Stories like this always break me up a bit because I get that feeling, that never-give-up drive, but the mountain just does not give a poo poo how spunky or determined or willful or confident you are. If it's time to turn around, it's time to turn around right now.

Summit fever kills.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

elwood posted:

Update: I'm in Namche Right now. Still alive

Sweet. How's the temperature?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
About 10-12 C in the sun and a bit above freezing at night.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

elwood posted:

About 10-12 C in the sun and a bit above freezing at night.

Sounds like perfect weather for hiking if the huts aren't too cold at night.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

simplefish posted:

Basecamp hike only, iirc

We know. People have died of altitude sickness on that trek too though. It's still high up.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That is loving awesome, elwood

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'm prepared to be patient:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-23/junko-tabei-first-woman-to-climb-mount-everest-dies-aged-77/7957662

quote:

Junko Tabei: First woman to climb Mount Everest dies aged 77 Updated about 3 hours ago

The Japanese climber had been diagnosed with cancer and died at a hospital outside of Tokyo. Tabei reached the summit of the world's highest mountain in 1975, at the age of 35. In 1992, she also became the first woman to complete the Seven Summits, reaching the highest peaks of the seven continents. Tabei climbed her first mountain in 1939, when she was led by her elementary school teacher to the summit of Mt Nasu, her official website states. She later established the Ladies Climbing Club: Japan, with the slogan "Let's go on an overseas expedition by ourselves". "Back in 1970s Japan, it was still widely considered that men were the ones to work outside and women would stay at home," Tabei told the Japan Times in 2012. "Even women who had jobs — they were asked just to serve tea."

When she left on her Everest expedition, as part of a 15-member, all-women team, "we were told we should be raising children instead", she told the newspaper. "There was never a question in my mind that I wanted to climb that mountain, no matter what other people said." She had continued climbing later in life, and her website said she went abroad "seven to eight times a year to climb the highest mountain of each country". As of 2008, Tabei had climbed the highest peaks of 56 countries, it stated. Tabei was married with two children. She completed a degree in English and American Literature at Showa Women's University in 1962, and a master's degree in comparative social culture, focusing on garbage problems in the Himalayas, at Kyusha University in 2000. She campaigned for sustainable mountaineering and was chairperson of the Himalayan Adventure Trust of Japan, which is dedicated to the protection of mountain environments.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

That is loving awesome, elwood

Yeah, those are some fantastic photos.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Namche Day 2

Everest is right above the ax (and my finger in the bottom left, drat).

elwood fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 23, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if you fall off the edge of town?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Cojawfee posted:

That's something I would do.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

How many hours did it take to climb from here:

to here:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
honestly you could probably do that in an hour...

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Cojawfee posted:

Obviously you warp around to the other side of town. Jfc, play a loving video game once in a while...
:agesilaus:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

Obviously you warp around to the other side of town. Jfc, play a loving video game once in a while...
:agesilaus:

what if you fall into the skybox

and just keep falling into forever

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

How many hours did it take to climb from here:

to here:

15 minutes

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Namche to Thame

elwood fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 24, 2016

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
How high is EBC again? I'll be going over Thorung La pass in a few days in the Annapurna region and that's 5416 metres. Any requests on corpse position if I succumb to HACE or HAPE?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphex- posted:

How high is EBC again? I'll be going over Thorung La pass in a few days in the Annapurna region and that's 5416 metres. Any requests on corpse position if I succumb to HACE or HAPE?

Pants around your ankles, hand on your genitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Arivia posted:

Pants around your ankles, hand on your genitals.

thumb in the rear end in a top hat