Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Episode was great, but it really lacked a knockout song like "Sexy getting ready song" or "Feeling kinda naughty".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

I always like it when Rebecca actually sings a bit for real. How hard is it for a professional singer like Bloom to make their voice ever so slightly of tune? (In case you're wondering, that is actually intentional.)

Only a little, intonation/tuning in singing is affected a lot by the shape of your mouth. You can be in tune to yourself but use terrible vowel shapes and the sound will come out out of tune to your audience. And since part of training to be a pro singer is careful work on properly shaping vowels for optimal tone and intonation, loving it up is pretty simple. After all you're using the same muscles you would be using to create pleasant tones, just purposely putting them in a slightly different spot.

You'll notice that when she sings "badly" the basic qualities of her voice are all still there - her basic tone quality, her sound production. Her breathing, posture, tension (or really lack thereof), diction in her bad singing are all identical to her good singing. That's the stuff that's hard to change after being trained correctly. But actual lovely singing with poor breath support and articulation wouldn't be a very good effect on TV anyhow. You'd be going, "what?" and leaning into the TV trying to figure out wtf she's trying to say/sing.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

EmmyOk posted:

I feel like White Josh and Chief are a journey people should discover naturally :shobon:

Oh! I was wondering why Gettin' Bi wasn't listed as one of Darryl's songs! That song is unapologetically my favourite from all of last season. IT'S SO CATCHY.

I love the rollercoaster ride of Crazy Ex Girlfriend. Wild, surreal humour one moment, and then super dark "why doesn't anyone love me?" depression the next.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Great if not too memorable season premiere. I think my favorite part is how Paula's subplot sneakily took over Rebecca's main a-plot. Paula's a character I've always been kind of ambivalent about, given how she seems to be this terrible enabler for the main reason of the thrill she gets over getting to live vicariously through Rebecca. Finally realizing that and working to better herself makes me like her much more as a character.

Also holy poo poo how loving adorable can W.Josh and Chief be

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I also found myself liking Paula a lot more than I left her last season. Solid return for the show.

The two songs seemed to be pretty short, though, and it looks like they have less money to put into the show this year, which makes me sad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Knockknees posted:

So it wasn't a very exciting episode but I guess that's what you have to do when you are resetting the stage for a new central conflict of the season and setting everyone up for new arcs and stuff.
Yeah, pretty low-key and underwhelming. Certainly a stark difference to the first episode of season one, which pretty much instantly sold me on the show.

Hawkgirl posted:

her gaslighting Josh really skeeved me out.
Also manipulating Paula.

AnimeJune posted:

I was wondering why Gettin' Bi wasn't listed as one of Darryl's songs! That song is unapologetically my favourite from all of last season.
Same.

hope and vaseline posted:

Paula's a character I've always been kind of ambivalent about, given how she seems to be this terrible enabler for the main reason of the thrill she gets over getting to live vicariously through Rebecca.
She started out pretty likeable, but as the first season goes on you see more and more of how terrible she is.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Everyone in the show is a total douche, apart from Audra. That's the beauty of it.

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!
I am very much glad this show is back! This was a pretty good start to the season and interested to see where things are going for Paula and Greg. On initial viewing I thought the new songs were funny but only just okay.... however as the weekend went on I just kept finding myself constantly singing "We should definitely not have sex right now.". This show will probably get me fired at work eventually

Also: I felt compelled to make this even though I am terrible at GIF making.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Didn't read anything in the thread because I don't want to get spoiled, but...

Is season 2 going to be available anywhere to stream? I didn't see it on Hulu or Netflix. Netflix only has season 1, and Hulu doesn't even carry it anymore. I hope that isn't a bad sign. :(

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
You can stream it from CWs app, but there are plenty of commercials still

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the new deals CW signed are that they feature their episodes on their site but nowhere else and then Netflix will get the entire season a week after the finale.

Although I also remember reading that Hulu free service was going to replaced by Yahoo but I don't know what the gently caress Yahoo streaming is and I can't be bothered to check when I can just watch on CW's app that now chromecasts.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The show scored a .2 for its premiere. How good or bad is this for The CW on a Friday? I imagine it's (barely) sustainable. Not that the CW is particularly cancel happy, but if this show finds itself cancelled, I really think a streaming service would be a more appropriate home for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
It really does feel more like a Netflix or a Hulu show to me. Sort of in the vein of Kimmy Schmidt or Mindy Project.

And then the explicit versions of the songs could be in the show.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just watched the premier with the bestie and it was a pretty solid if misery inducing opener. I'm glad the show is super upfront about Rebecca being a totally garbage person this season. Gaslighting Josh at the start was super scummy but it's fine because the show is blatantly painting her as being truly awful. Really glad that Rebecca and Josh have decided to pair up and ruin each others' lives so that everyone else can mature and grow without them. I kind of wouldn't mind seeing Valencia and Greg hit it off and help each other develop as people. First song was the better of the two because it parodied the short film style of pop songs that are popular now. Second one was fine but Vincent Rodriguez still can't sing. Anyway speaking of Josh (I think someone else brought him up, not me) this episode is a perfect example of why he completely loving sucks. He swung wildly between being a bro who just wanted to bone B E X and a literal 12 year old child. "tee hee I did a farty in my pants"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Knockknees posted:

It really does feel more like a Netflix or a Hulu show to me. Sort of in the vein of Kimmy Schmidt or Mindy Project.

And then the explicit versions of the songs could be in the show.

The explicit versions are unfailingly worse than the broadcast editions though.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Nichael posted:

The show scored a .2 for its premiere. How good or bad is this for The CW on a Friday? I imagine it's (barely) sustainable. Not that the CW is particularly cancel happy, but if this show finds itself cancelled, I really think a streaming service would be a more appropriate home for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

I'd be surprised if they cancelled it. Any show they put on Friday will do roughly as badly, and also won't have won a Golden Globe.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

The explicit versions are unfailingly worse than the broadcast editions though.

i can't remember for any other songs but every clean version of a line in JAP Battle is worse than the explicit version.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

CASTING NEWS: Patti LuPone Joke.

If I had to guess the role, I think Audra's mother has been cast.

(Note: that guess is made on absolutely zero basis except the fact that I'd like to see that character again.)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 26, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

i give good parent explicit is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than broadcast.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

The best joke is from the clean version though. (Not disagreeing with you, I just love "To be clear, you parents want to have sex with me" way more than the equivalent)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

100%

Senerio posted:

The best joke is from the clean version though. (Not disagreeing with you, I just love "To be clear, you parents want to have sex with me" way more than the equivalent)

0%

Also I thought Audra was Rebecca's mother when reading the thread until I remembered who she was and lol at the person who called her well-adjusted.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Senerio posted:

It's true the delivery is hilarious

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
One day I will manage to not spoil myself on the musical numbers. This is not the day. I love that genre. Even though she just stands in the background, Heather has a cool outfit.

EDIT: I love this song! I must have watched it a dozen times by now!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 28, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
AV Club has a nice interview with the show's lead choreographer.

You know we really love our donuts here.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't handle this song

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is wonderful.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You know us dudes, we love to talk about our penises

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Let's share a Costco card!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That abrupt ending

That hector line

I'm dying I'm DEAD

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
People are being open and honest and this is sweet.

Edit: well not entirely open and honest but it's a step

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh geez

oh boy

Maxwell Lord posted:

People are being open and honest and this is sweet.

"honest"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh geez

oh boy

"honest"

Me and my big mouth.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Smug Darryl in the background

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Now THAT was honest

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Good episode.

There's ONE rule, Hector.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this season is good but it hasn't had a killer song ye-*ping pong girl happens*-gently caress YEAH

i don't really wanna do the rebecca/josh/greg triangle AGAIN but let's see how it goes

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Watching now. Oh god, stomach is dropping about Paula asking Rebecca the very important favour. Its all gonna go wrong isn't it...

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Oh god it is 😥

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I love those subtle musical cues. When Rebecca made dinner she was humming "I give good parents" for a second. And when Paula rejected Darryl's letter of recommendation, a few notes of "I have friends." started playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ha yes, those were great. as well as the much less subtle "after everything you've done for her-" "-that she didn't ask for!"

• Locked thread