Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Why is everyone calling the chef guy Steve? Is there some reference I'm missing?

alcharagia said it as a Lonely Island joke, I think, and people have latched onto it because latching on to jokes is just what LP does. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And probably as a "I hate this character so much I'm not even going to bother learning his name"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Steve is the loving worst.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Hm. FPzero,great job on the LP so far, first of all, and I hope your wrist does better, but I wanted to ask: do you know about the extra scenes that happen if you have certain gifts (specifically, Gifts 61, 104-106, 111, and 113) in your inventory when you talk to certain characters at certain times. There are six of them throughout the first three chapters, and they aren't [/i]necessary[/i] and don't spoil anything, but they are cute* and build the characters a little during the slower moments. I ask because there's one that happens when you talk to Kazuichi at the beginning there; in specific, if you talk to him with Gift 104, the replica sword, which actually might assist with opening coconuts, you actually do take him up on his offer. Just asking!

*OK, OK, four of them are cute, the other two... well, "cute" is not the word for them...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I am aware of them, yes. I touch on it next update, but my plan is to view them during the main playthrough if I have the items at the time. For the ones I miss, I'll show them off as bonus content towards the end.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Once again, I'll quote Monobear, emphasis mine:

: Ahem, any method is fine. Popular ones like bludgeoning, stabbing, strangling, and poisoning... To shooting, beating, running over, burning, bombing, slashing, drowning, electrocution, crushing, cursing... Please, choose whichever killing method you prefer. No time limit, so you can kill as you please... It's an All-You-Can-Murder Buffet... A theme park of murder...

Whatever that countdown is for, it is not a bomb, and probably not anything which would limit their time either. No idea what that could be, though.

Yeah that's basically it.

You can read oren's translation of that scene here, although of course spoilers if you go too much farther past that point.

Why is everyone calling the chef guy Steve? Is there some reference I'm missing?

Maybe the countdown is the time until the next island is unlocked?

Also it's neat to see some characters getting filled out a bit. Sonia is self-aware enough to know she's a figurehead, but also seems to be rather intelligent with her talk about the flow of societies. The yakuza isn't just some foul-mouthed kid, there's signs he's resigned himself to his fate. Maybe that's why he's so mad all the time? Also :3: at Gundham getting all embarrassed when a nice girl praises his hamsters.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Aweosme! Thank you!

Serefin99 You also need to finish your entry! :)

Well poo poo. Thanks for giving me a heads up, even if I am just now seeing it.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

serefin99 posted:

No problem! Wanted to make sure everyone gets their deadpool entries in before the fun begins!

Also Thesaya I still need you to put down if you think Monokuma will live or die.

And ya better put in the right one, I couldn't bear to see you choose poorly!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

resurgam40 posted:

Hm. FPzero,great job on the LP so far, first of all, and I hope your wrist does better, but I wanted to ask: do you know about the extra scenes that happen if you have certain gifts (specifically, Gifts 61, 104-106, 111, and 113) in your inventory when you talk to certain characters at certain times. There are six of them throughout the first three chapters, and they aren't [/i]necessary[/i] and don't spoil anything, but they are cute* and build the characters a little during the slower moments. I ask because there's one that happens when you talk to Kazuichi at the beginning there; in specific, if you talk to him with Gift 104, the replica sword, which actually might assist with opening coconuts, you actually do take him up on his offer. Just asking!

*OK, OK, four of them are cute, the other two... well, "cute" is not the word for them...

Huh, I never knew that any of the gifts did anything outside of the free time events. That's interesting.

Are there any others? Also, I don't think the numbers are much of a spoiler. :v:

Malah
May 18, 2015

I think my bets have solidified on the poll, at this point I'm pretty much just second-guessing myself.

It is interesting that Usami (Monomi?) isn't in the betting pool, because she's the one character I can't really make sense of. Nagito's also a bit of a gray area (appropriately?) because he's just super bland so far, aside from being one of the all-around helpful characters. Not going to lie, I had to flip a coin to make an actual "decision" there. Regardless, fingers crossed for some multi-kills or the kill rate otherwise departing from the first's.

Malah fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 23, 2016

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Malah posted:

I think my bets have solidified on the poll, at this point I'm pretty much just second-guessing myself.

It is interesting that Usami (Monomi?) isn't in the betting pool, because she's the one character I can't really make sense of. Nagito's also a bit of a gray area (appropriately?) because he's just super bland so far, aside from being one of the all-around helpful characters. Not going to lie, I had to flip a coin to make an actual "decision" there. Regardless, fingers crossed for some multi-kills or the kill rate otherwise departing from the first's.

I think the main reason Monomi wasn't in the betting pool is because when the poll was put up she was "dead", and including her would have been a bit of a spoiler.

And hey, flipping a coin is appropriate for Nagito - he's the ultimate lucky student, just like Naegi was. He was at Hope's Peak in the first place because he won a lottery.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah the only reason Monomi wasn't in the poll was exactly that: She was "dead" at the time of its creation, so i didn't want to call out her "reveal" even if was pretty obvious. I could add her but I don't want to have to make everyone go back and edit her in. I may or may not count the Monokuma column when the time comes since the students are the real people we want to know about. It's still fun to speculate.

edit:

serefin99 posted:

I don't know if you changed it yet but the box for Byakuya is still not filled in. Make sure you're pressing Enter after putting in the prediction to make sure it's saved to the spreadsheet. My guess is that you might originally have put in your prediction and closed the tab before committing it to the sheet, which wouldn't have saved it.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 23, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Byakuya's got this. He has grown not only in body, but in soul as well.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Well drat, it didn't save it apparently. In a way it was good though because I got frustrated about trying to figure out who everybody was and just put down everyone but Hiyoko as dead. This gave me a chance to make a slightly more realistic prediction since I've figured out who and how more people are now.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

FPzero posted:

I don't know if you changed it yet but the box for Byakuya is still not filled in. Make sure you're pressing Enter after putting in the prediction to make sure it's saved to the spreadsheet. My guess is that you might originally have put in your prediction and closed the tab before committing it to the sheet, which wouldn't have saved it.

Frikkin' A... Thanks for the heads up, as well as for telling me how to make sure it gets saved. I swear if it still doesn't work after this...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

serefin99 posted:

Frikkin' A... Thanks for the heads up, as well as for telling me how to make sure it gets saved. I swear if it still doesn't work after this...

You're all good now!

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 'bomb' counted down to literally nothing and it was just there to put additional pressure on everyone. Though I guess it'd make for a crappy story. :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Welcome to Free Time. We have two Free Times allotted to us right now, but before we can do them we need some Presents to give as gifts. And in order to get Presents, we need Monocoins. The only way to find those we know of is to locate those Hidden Monokumas, so let's get searching.

: There are five Hidden Monokumas in each Chapter. They aren't all available at the same time, and some can be missed. Additionally, they disappear between Chapters, so if we miss any of the five in Chapter 1, we can't get them any more without replaying chapters.
: We've already found one in our cabin. The second is located at the Airport.

: This one can be found riding around on the luggage conveyors.

: Each Hidden Monokuma gives us 10 more Monocoins.

: The third one is at the Market.

: Hiding behind the aisles is number three.

: That's all we can find for now, which leaves us with 30 coins in total. Much better than the 15 you could find at the start of the previous game. Let's buy some presents!
: In Danganronpa 2, there are two locations to obtain presents. The first is this Vending Machine.

: One option to obtaining presents is to buy them from here. It doesn't offer all of the presents, but it offers a decent selection of various generally well-received items.

: At the bottom of the list are some very expensive gifts. Each one of them can unlock a special bonus scene at some point during the game, like how unlocking the bathhouse scene in the first game was contingent on having a specific present. Now, I'm not planning to buy any of these because they also drop randomly from the other presents machine. Also, we've already missed one scene. I have no idea how you're expected to have the item for it by now. My plan is to show off any bonus scenes I miss at some point during the game or as part of an Extra Content segment at the end of the LP.

: There is now a new palm tree on the beach. It's actually the second location to get presents.

: This is the Monomono Yachine. No, that's not a misspelling on my part. No clue what it means. It's basically the same machine from the first game.

: Adding coins up in the top corner will allow you to roll the dice and get a present. The more coins that you add, the less chance you have to get a repeat item. I generally prefer to just put in one coin at a time and get a large quantity of presents as opposed to trying to get them all.

: That's all there is to it, really.

: Though occasionally you'll get a Lucky roll which gives you a free gift.

: So begins our Present collection. This game is pretty nice in that any new presents you find are called out with NEW icons and pink bars on the side. It helps if you are going for all-presents completion. Anyway, that concludes my explanation of how to get presents. Now it's time to do Free Times.

: If you're somehow unfamiliar with Free Times, they are essentially one-on-one relationship-building events with the other students. As I've mentioned before, each event will give you one Hope Fragment, and finishing all of one student's events will give you a special skill. It's in your interest to do all of the Free Times the game offers instead of skipping them.
: There will be times when some students are not available for Free Time. Unlike the first game, this game won't allow you to start events with characters who are unavailable or not in the mood. This means that if you can find a character, you can do an event, end of story.
: The thread had an informal vote that I should handle all of the Free Time Event selection and choose characters as I see fit instead of leaving it up to a thread vote. I'll be doing that throughout the LP, but my plan is to also gauge thread reactions and try to see who a majority of posters are interested in getting to know better. Since the majority of skills are no longer tied to Free Times, I don't actually have any long-term plans for who I want to visit with.

: That said, I'm pretty sure most people are probably curious what's up with Nagito and Byakuya. Byakuya is an obvious choice considering, well, he survived the previous game, so what the heck is he even doing here? Nagito is also a curious figure, reminding a number of people of Makoto in more ways than one. So let's meet with them both. We'll start with Nagito.

: Byakuya is very reliable. As expected of the Ultimate Affluent Progeny.
: With everyone working together under such a splendid leader, we'll be able to overcome any difficulty!

What should I do? Should I ask Nagito if he wants to hang out?

> Invite Nagito to hang out

: Then let's do what we can, just as our leader ordered us to do.

I spent time with Nagito today looking for clues. Nagito and I grew a little closer today.

> Definitely!

: Here's where our presents are useful. Every present we own can have one of five invisible ratings with each individual character. The ratings, as I've chosen to name them, are as follows: Terrible, Bad, Neutral, Good and Amazing. If you give a Terrible or Bad gift, I think the Free Time opportunity is lost entirely (I've never tried giving presents like these to people because I admit to using a gift-giving guide). If you give a Neutral gift, nothing happens right away and you're given the option to give a second gift. Both Good and Amazing presents will start the Free Time immediately but with different positive reactions. Amazing presents in particular are usually related to the character and their personalities in some way but otherwise don't give added benefit over Good presents.

Earring of Crushed Evil: An earring created by the legendary home tutor. Crafted from silver and gold into the shape of a wing. The gold is said to increase luck, while the silver is said to accumulate luck.

: Hajime...um...I don't know how to say this, but...
: This is the first time I've ever received a gift that made me this happy... Thank you.
: This game does not have a reaction from Hajime as feedback for how well-received the present was like the first game did with Makoto. It's too bad, that reaction was a good way for me to separate the reaction dialogue from the Free Time itself. Instead, I'll go ahead and mention whether the present was Good or Amazing, since I don't intend to give Terrible or Bad present and I shouldn't have to resort to using Neutral ones at any point.
: This present has a Good rating for Nagito.

: Hajime...are you feeling sick?
: Huh? No, not at all.
: I see...then it's okay. I thought you looked pale or something. I thought something was worrying you... Ah, but it'd be weird if you weren't worrying in a situation like this.

Nagito is laughing in a carefree way. But seeing him laugh like that was enough to distract me from my worries.

: Wh-What? Is something wrong?
: No...how should I put it...? I was just thinking about all the ways you've been helping me so far. Th-Thank you...

: No...I haven't done anything to receive your thanks. But...for someone like me to be useful to you, and to even receive your words of gratitude...makes me happy.
: You're being too hard on yourself.
: I mean...my talent is just having good luck. It's not like it comes from hard work, and it's not like I can use it to do anything amazing. Regardless of how lucky I am, or if that luck even exists, I'm just too unimpressive to truly matter. Haha, unlike you guys.

Why do you sound so happy about that?

: It's possible that my talent might be more meaningless than yours, you know? I mean...I can't even remember what it is.

: That's not true! I'm sure you have an amazing talent! I mean...if you didn't, you wouldn't have been accepted into Hope's Peak Academy.

Somehow...when I see the way Nagito doesn't doubt me at all, I start to believe he's right. He really does help me in so many ways...

: I know. If you'd like, let me help you remember. Let's see...a talent that suits Hajime...

: What about the Ultimate Serenity?
: Which part of me did you look at to come up with a title like that...? Is that even a useful ability?
: Hmm, I'm pretty sure the ability to bring serenity to others just by being there is really amazing... Let's see...
: What about the Ultimate Clumsy Student?
: Well, considering that I suddenly forgot what my talent was, that might be fairly accurate...

: Then...what about the Ultimate Scatterbrain?
: Don't go that far... I don't want an Ultimate talent like that...
: Hey, don't take it seriously. It was just a little joke! Hmmm, then...
: How about the Ultimate Spiky Hair?
: That's not an ability at all!
: I know, right? Hahaha!

: But it's going to be fine... I'm positive you have a talent that's brimming with hope.

Jeez...he's totally messing with me... But thanks to him, my feelings are lighter than they ever were. Could it be...? Was that his goal all along? If so...maybe he's a good person after all.

Well, I guess it's too early to say. I need to get to know him better from now on. I hope we get to understand each other better, even if it's just a little bit at a time...

: After each event, we're rewarded with one Hope Fragment and Hajime returns to his cabin.

It's still bright out, and I've still got some time left... I don't feel like doing nothing, so maybe I should go somewhere.

: Next, we're going to meet with Byakuya. Our map shows where everyone is. Looks like Byakuya is poolside.

: Why did the organization behind this matter kidnap us...? I'd like to think about it...but there just aren't enough clues.

What should I do? Should I invite Byakuya to hang out?

> Invite Byakuya to hang out

: Very well, I was just starting to get hungry from overthinking.
: Let's eat something light... Follow me.

I spent time with Byakuya today watching him eat an obscene amount of food. Looks like Byakuya let me get a little closer to him...

> Definitely!

Cod Roe Baguette: This thin load of bread is stuffed to the brim with butter and crushed cod roe. A perfect fusion of French and Japanese cuisine.

: You have quite a rare item there... Even a noble such as myself has never touched something like this... Interesting. I'll be keeping this.
: This present has a Good rating.

: ...Hey, Hajime. Let me ask you one thing.
: Huh? Me? I don't really mind, but...
: There's something I've been wondering for a while, and I'd like to purge that question from my mind...

: So let me ask you! What is your body fat percentage!?
: ...Huh? Well...I don't really know the exact number. I've never had it checked before...
: Never had it checked before...?
: Are you saying you have no intention of understanding the ratio of fat stored within you...!?
: I swear... This is why I dislike commoners.

For some reason...Byakuya's mood seems abnormal... I'm starting to think I've actually done something wrong...

: However, just by looking at you, I'd say that you're a nine...no, maybe an eight...
: Regardless, it's probably around one digit.
: Be grateful this is a tropical island. If you were somewhere less hospitable, you'd freeze to death.
: I-I see...
: Anyway, you still can't remember what your talent is...?
: Y-Yeah...not yet...
: I see... However, there is no need for you to be depressed about it.
: Huh?

: ...What's with that face?
: Nothing, I just thought I was going to get yelled at again...
: Hmph, how foolish. Do you really think I'd get mad about something like that? A person like me has a responsibility to watch over you weaklings.
: Besides...as long as I'm here, it doesn't matter what your talent is.
: As long as Byakuya Togami is in charge, you will all know peace.
: I-I see...

His personality is so overwhelming...

: The Togami Corporation is famous worldwide, but it will grow even more rapidly under my command... You should feel lucky that someone as talented as me is here.
: Just believe in me. If you do, everything will turn out fine.

I-I don't really understand, but...he's extremely confident. So this is Byakuya Togami, the Ultimate Affluent Progeny...

: Just make sure you don't get in my way. A commoner should know their place and stay put...
: However...if there is anything troubling you, I don't mind if you rely on me. *leaves*

After saying that, Byakuya gallantly strolled away. He was being pretty condescending, but he doesn't seem like a bad guy... I feel like...I got to know a little bit about Byakuya.

*Ding dong dong ding*

: Eh!? That bell just now... Could it be...!?

: Ahem! Hope's Peak Academy's School Trip Executive Committee has an announcement to make... Hello everyone! The fun time you've all been waiting for is about to begin! I wonder what festivities await you? ...Oops, don't wanna ruin the surprise! It was a little "meh" at first, but anyway, please gather at Jabberwock Park!

: Did he just tell us...to go to the park? It's the middle of the night... What's he up to?

I suddenly had a bad feeling about all of this, and goosebumps sprung up all over my body.

: If we're not allowed to defy Monokuma...then there's no way I can ignore this, right? Which means...there's nothing I can do except listen to him. drat it! What is it now!?

FPzero fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 25, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Alright, I'll be closing the Dead Pools in about 24 hours time. If you haven't made your predictions yet and you want to participate, now's the time to get those predictions in!

Here is the link to the No-Spoilers Betting Pool.

Here is the link to the Spoilers Betting Pool.

Happy predicting!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FPzero posted:

: The Togamit Corporation is famous worldwide, but it will grow even more rapidly under my command... You should feel lucky that someone as talented as me is here.
Typo.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Seeing Fat Byakuya talks about body fat, I thought he was going to say something more like...

Do you even bulk brah?!?

Malah
May 18, 2015

FPzero posted:

Alright, I'll be closing the Dead Pools in about 24 hours time. If you haven't made your predictions yet and you want to participate, now's the time to get those predictions in!

Here is the link to the No-Spoilers Betting Pool.

Here is the link to the Spoilers Betting Pool.

Happy predicting!
[SECOND GUESSING INTENSIFIES]

It's like a continuous loop of "am I underestimating how crazy this is going to get, or is that what the game wants me to think?"

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Malah posted:

[SECOND GUESSING INTENSIFIES]

It's like a continuous loop of "am I underestimating how crazy this is going to get, or is that what the game wants me to think?"

Danganronpa 2 is playing 9-dimensional mind chess with our brains, I keep asking myself "Will these characters survive or is it just me wanting them to survive?"

Like you said does the game want me to think this way? Is the game assuming we played the first game and know who lived and how, and is planning on turning that expectation on us?!?

I'm still pulling for Sonia to live since damnit I want to believe!!!

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I would like everyone to live (except for Steve). Too bad that's not gonna happen...

right?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Who is this Ben? The secret 17th student? Mastermind?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Who is this Ben? The secret 17th student? Mastermind?

I never even noticed that. I wonder if it will be that way in all future Byakuya Free Times.

Yeah, DR2 is not as well edited as the first game was. I've been silently fixing misspellings and the like during updates if they appear. I'm not sure what could've caused the increase in english text errors over the previous game. Maybe it was the fact the first game's Vita released came out in early 2014 and the second game something like 6 or 7 months later.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

FPzero posted:

I never even noticed that. I wonder if it will be that way in all future Byakuya Free Times.

Yeah, DR2 is not as well edited as the first game was. I've been silently fixing misspellings and the like during updates if they appear. I'm not sure what could've caused the increase in english text errors over the previous game. Maybe it was the fact the first game's Vita released came out in early 2014 and the second game something like 6 or 7 months later.

I had no idea it was so prevalent. I don't even remember seeing any when I first played through it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I didn't remember seeing as much when I played either but when you spend a considerable amount of time working closely with the script it all becomes a lot more noticeable. That said it's not everywhere, but I've probably fixed three or four minor typos so far (not including that image), where i can only remember fixing three or four throughout the whole of DR1.

The ones I remember the most from this game aren't typos but instances where for whatever reason an accidental line break has been included, which adds a third line to the text box when it really only supports two. That third line ends up right on the bottom edge of the screen and might even clip partially off it. I think there was only one or two of those instances over the whole game but it was kind of jarring to encounter when I played the first time. A mistake like that feels like such a novice one to make; the kind that are much more noticeable than a typo and should've been fixed in editing passes or playtesting.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
:siren: THE DEADPOOL HAS NOW BEEN CLOSED. COMMENCING GAME:siren:

Welcome! Welcome! Now before we begin these lets play festivities, I figured I'd announced the results of the viewers little "deadpool" they have going on. With that, I hereby begin "The Hopes Peak Academy Class Trip Pre-Superlatives!"

Most Likely To Die: This prestigious award goes tooooooooooooooooooooo....

Steve!

Uhh

What?

Who is this "Steve"

Whoops, sorry I forgot that's his fan nickname for the folks at home. I meant to say, Hopes Peak 2016 Most Likely to Die Candidate is Teruteru Hanamura!!!!!

Wah... Waaaaah...

: WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! WHHHYYYY

Puhuhu sorry, but not sorry buddy, seems like almost noone at home voted that'd you'd survive!

Ah-hahahahahaha! Ya want some free advice Steve? No one likes a weird creepy pervert! Anyways, that's the awards!!! Oh and Hajime wins most likely to live. Sorry chumps but being the point of view character has perks in these kinds of games!

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 26, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

As Jimmy has said, both Dead Pools are now closed. I'm sure we'll look at them throughout the LP as events unfold. For now, please sit back and continue enjoying the game.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Basically the translation was rushed to get it out faster, though I forget exactly why.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

fractalairduct posted:

Basically the translation was rushed to get it out faster, though I forget exactly why.

Maybe they didn't want another fan translation to make theirs look bad again? XD

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's because nobody could wait to get the true glory of this game's best character on the screen.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

fractalairduct posted:

The game that we got was based on the Vita release in Japan, which contained both games. They separated the two for the NA release because they didn't want to put in the effort of translating two games if people wouldn't buy them. However, pre-order sales alone of the first game convinced them to start working on the second game. I don't know why they rushed the second game's translation, but it might have something to do with that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
At first I was second guessing myself, but then it turned out the character I'm pretty sure is going to die was marked that way, so I didn't have to change it.

This time, it wasn't actually Steve (Steve you're totally going to die. Make your last dinner count.)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Last time we were called to Jabberwock Park by Monokuma.

: Peko's standing outside the park.

: Peko... You came too, huh?
: I have no choice... After all, the e-Handbook clearly states that defying Monokuma is not permitted.
: It'd be foolish to resist if it's just going to make things worse. I hope everyone else feels the same way...

That worries me a little...

: At any rate, we must go to the park. *leaves*

...I guess I have no choice, huh?

: Before going in, I decided to quickly tend to our pet. I wanted to remove the Despair Meter before its next growth. The way to do that is to give your pet any present.

: Presents reset the Despair Meter and start raising the Hope Meter. Since any present works, using cheap items from the Vending Machine like Water and Ramune is the easiest and most cost-efficient method.

: Let's get in there.

Everyone was already at Jabberwock Park when I arrived.

: Once again, you're late... Did you lose your nerve?

I'd like to deny that, but...he's not exactly wrong, either.

: ...Anyway, it seems everyone is here.

: Ugh, what is it this time...? So friggin' annoying...
: Then you shouldn't have come.
: Well...I mean...I don't know what'll happen to me if I *don't* come...
: Heh, since none of us know what'll happen, maybe you should be the one to test that out.

: Hey! You may talk like you're tough, wiseguy, but you wouldn't be here unless you were scared, too!
: What...!?
: I guess even a big bad yakuza like you must've been scared of that monster, huh?

: What the gently caress did you just say!?
: S-Stop it, you two. Fighting among friends isn't good!
: What? Did you just say, "friend"?
: I'm not your friend, dumbass! When did I ever become friends with you bastards?
: ...Eh?
: Hmph, let me be perfectly clear...

: ...I can do it, y'know.
: ...Huh?
: Y-You... What did you just say...?
: Oh? You didn't hear me? Then I'll repeat myself just once for you. I said...I can do it.

Do it...? What are you saying? Don't tell me... Are you being serious right now?

: No one had any particularly interesting side comments this time so let's just progress the story.

: Hey, Fuyuhiko...why don't you calm down for a bit?
: Don't talk to me like we're friends or something!
: I live in a completely different world than you bastards... Kill or be killed... That's the kind of world I live in.
: Heh, the current rules make more sense to me than that "Play nice and get along" crap.

: If you don't stop it right now...I'm going to get seriously angry!
: Don't treat me like a kid, bitch!
: Just stop already... This kind of fighting will not get us anywhere.
: Shut the hell up! There's no way I'm dealing with this Kumbaya crap!
: If any of you guys wanna die, step forward... I'll fuckin' kill you right now...
: Sounds fun... Gimme your best shot...!
: Wh-What's gonna happen if you're this easily provoked!?

: Enough!
: ...Huh?
: Fuyuhiko...I understand what you're saying.
: I do not intend to dismiss your feelings. There was a time when I also thought the same way as you...
: ...Are you treating me like a kid, too!?

Music fades out.

: But what would reckless killing accomplish? If you fail to get away with it, you know you'll be executed... Or perhaps...that's what you really want? If so...
: You'd only be killing yourself to run away from this predicament. That's what a child would do.
: Wh-What did you say...!?

: Listen! So long as we're here, I will not let any of you die! I will not let any of you become a victim! And that goes for you too, Fuyuhiko. I won't let you die!
: Wh-What the hell...? Everything you're saying...it's just empty promises!
: It's true my words would ring hollow if anyone else spoke them...
: But I am Byakuya Togami, and I am destined to bring these promises to fruition.

: Yowza! He's sooooo cool!
: Mmhmhm, I agree!
: Heh...I don't care what you say. I'm just gonna do whatever I feel like...
: Do what you will. However, remember what I said earlier.
: "I will not let any of you become a victim." That is the duty I have appointed to myself.
: Tch...! ...

I-It seems like Byakuya resolved it...for now. But...even if he's the Ultimate Yakuza, there's no way Fuyuhiko really meant what he said earlier...right?

: Um...
: Uwaaah!?
: It looked like you guys were arguing...so I wasn't sure when to actually show up... It looks like I showed up at an awkward time!
: ...

: Why...are you dressed like that?
: Oh, didn't I mention it in my recent broadcast? It's my costume for the fun time!
: Oh, don't tell me you're going to...
: That's right! Since we're on a tropical island, I'm here to do my two-man comedy routine!
: Wh-Why does it matter that we're on a tropical island?
: But can you do a two-man comedy routine all by yourself?
: Of course not. That's why I brought my partner.

: Ha-wa-wa! What is this!?
: Hmm, that figures...
: Now then, without further ado, I'm pleased to present "Monokuma's Side-Splitting Live Two-Man Comedy Show"!
: Huh? I didn't hear anything about this! Are you telling me I have to improvise!?
: ...I'm speechless.

: (You can press Triangle at any point during this whole scene to add some canned laughter.)

: Helloooooooooooooo, I'm Monokuma!
: Um... I'm Monomi...
: And together we are The Monokumas!
: Now, I know it's sudden, but I guess I should show you guys my amazing mind-reading abilities!
: Eh? You can read minds!?
: As practice, I'll guess your favorite food. Hmmm... Your favorite food is...
: You can do it! It's obvious what rabbits like!
: Ca...
: That's right.
: ...davers!
: I'd never eat a dead body!
: Now then... Monomi's up next! C'mon, do a short skit or something!
: Wh-What!? There's no way I can do that!
: No worries, it's all good. I know a technique to summon the God of Comedy. Sooooo...which do you think is better? Taking blood while you're still alive, or after you're already dead?
: Why would you ask such a cruel question!?
: If I'm gonna summon The Comedeity, then I'll need a lot of blood.
: So a god of comedy wants blood...
: Hngh! Pretty please!?
: No matter how charmingly you ask, there's no way I'll let you take my blood!
: You're always so quick to make a scary face, Monomi. You guys better be careful, too. Ya know, since Monomi's actually a bad guy. She's as bad as the first villain the hero fights in a teen manga!
: They're always the underdog!
: Believe me, it's a fact that Monomi's a villain. I'll let you all in on a little secret of hers...

Music cuts out.

: Monomi...went out of her way to erase your memories!
: Say what!?

: ...Wait, huh?

: You guys don't even remember how you got to this island, am I right? Well, that's because Monomi stole your memories!
: Wh-What are you saying all of a sudden!?
: But wait, there's more! She didn't just steal your boring memories, like how you guys got to this island. She completely took away your memories of the years you spent at Hope's Peak Academy! What a shocker!
: ...Ha-wa-wa!
: Phew... I feel great that I've shared that with you. Seriously, memory loss plots are so old hat nowadays... Only a total hack would wait until the end of the story to reveal a cliched twist like that!
: P-Please stop!
: Puhuhu... Wasn't that a huge surprise? In truth, you guys aren't freshmen students at all. You guys just thought you were because you've lost all of your school memories! Quick, someone get a plagiarist because I feel like I've heard this story before!
: S-Seriously, this is bad in so many ways!

: I'm through dealing with you!
: GYAAAAAAH! His backhand is far too powerful!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I had to cut this update in two parts because it would've been too long as one. Let's just call it...prolonging the experience and leave it at that.

On a side note, I want to extend a thank you to Jimmy4400nav not only for thinking up and assisting with the Survivors Dead Pool but also for gifting me a copy of Danganronpa 2 on Steam! He approached me with it and we decided that with my PSTV and capture card both giving me some cause for concern lately, having the game on PC was a good insurance policy for the LP. I'm planning to continue using my PSTV for the LP since I have an established workflow as well as completed save files on it but I might dive into the PC version on my own time, run a couple tests and see if it's worth my time to switch versions for any reason. Thanks again, Jimmy!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Whoa, bear, spoilers!

Monokuma sure is getting the plot twists out of the way early. They'd have been a bit predictable since many of the people playing DR2 would have already beaten DR1.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

FPzero posted:

On a side note, I want to extend a thank you to Jimmy4400nav not only for thinking up and assisting with the Survivors Dead Pool but also for gifting me a copy of Danganronpa 2 on Steam! He approached me with it and we decided that with my PSTV and capture card both giving me some cause for concern lately, having the game on PC was a good insurance policy for the LP. I'm planning to continue using my PSTV for the LP since I have an established workflow as well as completed save files on it but I might dive into the PC version on my own time, run a couple tests and see if it's worth my time to switch versions for any reason. Thanks again, Jimmy!

Happy to help, your LPs rock FPzero!

quote:

Phew... I feel great that I've shared that with you. Seriously, memory loss plots are so old hat nowadays... Only a total hack would wait until the end of the story to reveal a cliched twist like that! Puhuhu... Wasn't that a huge surprise? In truth, you guys aren't freshmen students at all. You guys just thought you were because you've lost all of your school memories! Quick, someone get a plagiarist because I feel like I've heard this story before!

Also wow, they're not pulling any punches out of the gate here. Like Qrr said if you'd played the first game it'd have been kinda obvious. I wonder how the group knowing all this ahead of time will affect the dynamic and the motivations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I don't know why, but somehow watching 'kuma go after 'mi is really disturbing. It's like a domestic violence dispute or something.

• Locked thread