Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
They just assumed it's going to be followed up with Ankle Godzilla and Heel Godzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Shin 神 can also mean god or spirit, as in the Japanese religious Shinto.

It's definitely no accident that it's written phonetically, but I don't think it's meant to a jokey pun so much as being purposely ambiguous.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shin means new and it's a reboot.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think it's meant to a jokey pun so much as being purposely ambiguous.

Haha I'm just dicking around. It's anno and it's great

Waffleman_ posted:

Shin means new and it's a reboot.

thanks

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BattleTech posted:

You're kidding yourself if you think G98 is even close to being the worst one when this exists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uICJrR7HRE

Others have already brought up the reasons why Revenge is not the worst- it's even hard to rate it as a Godzilla film all things considered, but not in the same respects as G'98- but it does stand to be repeated.

Revenge is nowhere near the worst.

The worst is either Megalon, which is only redeemed through just how campy it is and the car salesman that is Jet Jaguar, or Space Godzilla.

Space Godzilla has an interesting idea of the evil twin, and has a penguin robot that is the out of loving nowhere revival of one of the golden age Toho films that never got lumped in with the others, but is otherwise a total write off. Made all the worse is the fact that it was the 40th anniversary movie.

The effects were cheap, the Godzilla suit was literally falling apart and torn to shreds, and the fight scene that lasts a good third of the movie is boring and slow as poo poo. A complete wash of a movie.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I saw Godzilla vs Megalon in theaters when I was a little boy. Jet Jaguar rocks. I wanted an uncle who could build a robot like that, drat it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He mother never really love him
He crimefighting covers up a basic insecurity

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Burkion posted:

Others have already brought up the reasons why Revenge is not the worst- it's even hard to rate it as a Godzilla film all things considered, but not in the same respects as G'98- but it does stand to be repeated.

The worst is either Megalon, which is only redeemed through just how campy it is and the car salesman that is Jet Jaguar, or Space Godzilla.

Space Godzilla has an interesting idea of the evil twin, and has a penguin robot that is the out of loving nowhere revival of one of the golden age Toho films that never got lumped in with the others, but is otherwise a total write off. Made all the worse is the fact that it was the 40th anniversary movie.

The effects were cheap, the Godzilla suit was literally falling apart and torn to shreds, and the fight scene that lasts a good third of the movie is boring and slow as poo poo. A complete wash of a movie.

Hey,at least we got Destroyah outta it. I mean,I personally thought it was a pretty good way to end the legacy. Until those dumb Americans hosed it up and they had to keep making films. But at least we got Final Wars outta that mess.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Burkion posted:

I agree with everything here. However, OG Megalon got a chance to fight Godzilla in the first NES game...Actually it's funny, the first three monsters are all ones that NEVER fought Goji--Megalon, Gezora, and Varan. I'll still defend that game to my death however.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Choco1980 posted:

I agree with everything here. However, OG Megalon got a chance to fight Godzilla in the first NES game...Actually it's funny, the first three monsters are all ones that NEVER fought Goji--Megalon, Gezora, and Varan. I'll still defend that game to my death however.

I think you're mixing up Moguera and Megalon, yo. Megalon was the Atlantis beetle, Moguera was the robot penguin.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Man, Megalon hit me at the worst possible time, just as I was transitioning from monster-loving kiddo to pussy-obsessed rock & roll fuckup. Could not BELIEVE the bullshit I was seeing. Completely killed my interest in the character for years afterwards, and Godzilla vs. Dr. Pepper managed to kill it again just as it was starting to return.

Watching it now, it's not quite as bad as all that, but lord knows it ain't good.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
'Megalon' is at the very least a lot of goofy fun. I agree with the vitriol aimed towards 'Spacegodzilla'; it's too long, and its final battle is tedious as all hell, what with the monster mostly just standing across from each other and firing beams, and occasionally bumping into each other.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Squidtentacle posted:

I think you're mixing up Moguera and Megalon, yo. Megalon was the Atlantis beetle, Moguera was the robot penguin.

Oh goddamn it. Yes that was a typo.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
My own take: The 1954 original remains the best movie out of the bunch, though Final Wars has the highest entertainment value of them all in an 'insane polar opposite' kind of way.

Why won't you release this new movie in Europe Toho

THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Taking your kid to see a Godzilla movie in theaters is the best. :)

Never thought I'd get to take my daughter to a first run Japanese Godzilla in a US theater.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

gfanikf posted:

Taking your kid to see a Godzilla movie in theaters is the best. :)

Never thought I'd get to take my daughter to a first run Japanese Godzilla in a US theater.

THIS. I didn't realize the significance of this until my brain went "oh hey this is the first time I've seen a Japanese Godzilla film on the big screen" then realized it was my daughter's also.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saw this today. Holy loving poo poo this movie was so good. So so good. There were some really inspiring shots and the buildup towards the atomic breath was insane. First it's this smog/gas that then turns to flame that envelops the city and then it concentrates into a bean holy loving wow!

The final battle was also incredibly well done. The train bombs were pretty neat but when they start dropping on him I was like yeah this is loving amazing.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Just got out of a showing - having gone in knowing nothing about the movie - and drat this is a really good film.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Does anyone know of any plans/rumors for blu-ray releases for all the Godzilla films that haven't had one yet? My understanding is that the following still need to be released on blu-ray:

Godzilla Raids Again
King Kong vs Godzilla (the current Universal BD is the American version)
Mothra vs Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Godzilla vs Monster Zero
Son of Godzilla
All Monsters Attack
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
We're most likely never getting a domestically released BluRay copy of the original Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla in the U.S. All those films are available on Japanese BluRay by the way, though of course you gotta import them and have a Region 2 player.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's just as well, considering that the surviving prints/transfers of the American version are in much better condition than the Japanese ones. For one of the most successful Japanese films of all time, King Kong vs. Godzilla is also notoriously one of the most poorly preserved.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, I read up about that. They spliced up their master print and then tried to splice it together again. By the way, you can get a pretty good looking bootleg DVD copy if you know where to look. The Japanese version is much better than the American edit, what with the Akira Ifubuke score and less scenes with boring-rear end newsman spouting exposition.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dylazodelan posted:

We're most likely never getting a domestically released BluRay copy of the original Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla in the U.S. All those films are available on Japanese BluRay by the way, though of course you gotta import them and have a Region 2 player.

Do the Japanese discs have English subtitles? I'm guessing they don't.

EDIT: Nope, they don't. :(

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 23, 2016

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Spatulater bro! posted:

EDIT: Nope, they don't. :(

Yeah, and it seems like the US DVDs are also oop making some of them like $40.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Toho were not great at film preservation. Even the Criterions of Godzilla and Seven Samurai are a little lacking compared to some other films of the same vintage.

The Japanese cut of King Kong vs Godzilla would be good to have, but I think that's the last big "unseen in the US!" Godzilla thing out there. Though it would also be nice if someone cleared up the rights to Godzilla 1985- it's strictly worse than the Japanese cut but worth having for historical value (and they do give Raymond Burr a nice final monologue.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Real talk

Godzilla 1985 is almost redeemed by that final monologue. It's a loving good piece of acting.

(For those interested in my opinion, Return of Godzilla is likely one of the best made Godzilla films of all, with the only competition being the original and Shin. At least of the Japanese ones. I adore that movie so much, it just falls short of the original by dent of being a sequel.)

Also, on a similar vein- regardless of what one thinks of King of the Monsters, and I genuinely enjoy and cherish it as its own unique thing that should get the due respect it deserves... Even if you hate the movie and think it a bastardization of a superior film, which you would be wrong about, it has one line of dialogue in it that is unarguably superior to that of the original scene.

"You have your fears, which may become reality. And you have Godzilla- Which IS reality."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Though it would also be nice if someone cleared up the rights to Godzilla 1985- it's strictly worse than the Japanese cut but worth having for historical value (and they do give Raymond Burr a nice final monologue.)

I thought it was a special feature on the new bluray release? Did you miss that? https://www.amazon.com/Return-Godzilla-Blu-ray-Hashimoto-Koji/dp/B01FZ8I7R4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477191882&sr=8-1&keywords=Godzilla+1984

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That isn't Godzilla 1985. That is the Toho dub, without any of the additions that was made.

I am unclear if the dub is the same and they cut around it, but I suspect they are different.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Burkion posted:

That isn't Godzilla 1985. That is the Toho dub, without any of the additions that was made.

I am unclear if the dub is the same and they cut around it, but I suspect they are different.

Ohh, I just assumed it was the Raymond Burr cut the same way Criterion put in King of the Monsters as a bonus on their Gojira release.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ohh, I just assumed it was the Raymond Burr cut the same way Criterion put in King of the Monsters as a bonus on their Gojira release.

I had hoped that as well, but that version of the movie is in a quagmire that might never clear. It's objectively worse, without any of the benefits or quality that you can give King of the Monsters, but it is still an interesting thing to have and I do love the final speech.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
From what I've read, G' 1985 was supposed to be this "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" sort of film, in which the dubbing would be intentionally cheesy and the dialogue rewritten to make the film a comedy. Raymond Burr apparently signed on to do the film on the stipulation that it be (somewhat) respected.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I dragged two friends along to see '85 and spent the rest of the night apologizing. Not good times.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I just watched Godzilla 1984, and I liked it a lot. I see a lot of hate for the movie, and I'm wondering if most people are actually referring to Godzilla 1985, the American version?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Honestly, I find both versions to be a little too slow for my tastes, but the effects are killer for the time.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is the individual DVD release of Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster out of print? It's included in this set, but the individual disc is nearly $40. All the others included in that set are closer to $7 individually.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy crap, I bought that set a couple years ago for half as much.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I still have that set, but just swapped out Classic Media's print of Gojira from my Criterion one. Now it is the best set.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wish Classic Media could redo those in blu ray, they were great DVDs. I have Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Mothra vs. Godzilla, and the Rodan/War of the Gargantuas two-pack.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I wish Media Blasters would re-acquire/re-release that series of Toho deep cuts that they did a few years back. They had Matango, Space Amoeba, Dogora, Atragon, Latitude Zero, The Mysterians, and Varan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
How does Dogora hold up, anyway? Only saw it once or twice as a pup and never really knew what to make of it.