Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Well, nobody else was updating this thread, so I might as well. Most information shamelessly stolen from last year's OP. This thread is for discussing North American minor leagues (AHL, ECHL), Junior leagues (WHL, OHL, QMJHL, USHL), as well as European leagues (KHL, SHL, etc.) and the NWHL. This thread does not cover NCAA Hockey. If you wanna talk about that, the NCAA thread is here.

National Women's Hockey League

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFwEggLD91IcxpZvGqltJvw

The NWHL is the first professional women’s hockey league in North America to pay its players. The inaugural season began October 11, 2015 with the Founding Four: Boston Pride, Buffalo Beauts, Connecticut Whale and New York Riveters. The Boston Pride became the first team in NWHL history to raise the Isobel Cup on March 12, 2016.

American Hockey League

http://www.theahl.com
The American Hockey League (AHL) is the top-flight minor league in the US and Canada. Over 80% of the players currently in the NHL played in this league at one point. Sufficed to say, this is the league to watch if you want to see your team's future players.

On top of being the top development league for the NHL, the AHL is often where proposed rule changes are tested to see how they work in practice.

Rule changes for the 2016-17 Season tl:dr -- nothing important
• Rule 46 (“Fighting”)/Rule 23 (“Game Misconducts”) Players who enter into a fight prior to, at, or immediately following the drop of the puck for a faceoff will be assessed an automatic game misconduct in addition to other penalties assessed.
• During the regular season, any player who incurs his 10th fighting major shall be suspended automatically for one (1) game. For each subsequent fighting major up to 13, the player shall also be suspended automatically for one (1) game.
• During the regular season, any player who incurs his 14th fighting major shall be suspended automatically for two (2) games. For each subsequent fighting major, the player shall also be suspended automatically for two (2) games.
• In any instance where the opposing player was assessed an instigator penalty, the fighting major shall not count towards the player’s total for this rule.
• Rule 82 (“Icing”) In addition to not being permitted to make player substitutions, the offending team on an icing violation also may not use its team time-out.
• Rule 1.10 (“Ice Cleaning”) The ice cleaning procedures used during promotional timeouts will also be used prior to overtime during the regular season, replacing the “dry scrape.”

Relocations
- Lake Erie Monsters (CBJ) moved onto land and are now the Cleveland Monsters
- Portland Pirates (FLA) relocated to Springfield, MA and are now the Springfield Thunderbirds
- Springfield Falcons (ARZ) relocated to Tucson, AZ and are now the Tucson Roadrunners

Affiliation Changes
None this year. Expect changes next year.

Division Alignment

(The thread title refers to the fact that the five teams in California only play 68 games this year, eight fewer than the rest of the league. The standings in the Pacific will be determined by points percentage as opposed to straight up points as a result. If you're thinking that's stupid/bullshit, that's because it is.)

ECHL

http://www.echl.com/

If the AHL is AAA Hockey, the ECHL would be AA. Few players who wind up in the ECHL have much chance of ever making the NHL, and those that do usually are backups and 4th liners. The ECHL used to stand for East Coast Hockey League until 2003, when it absorbed the remaining teams from the West Coast Hockey League. Prior to the 2014-15 season, it also absorbed the remaining Central Hockey League teams. As a result, the ECHL spans from Alaska to South Florida. The ECHL, however, is known for having the greatest logo in professional hockey.

Canadian Hockey League

The main prospect development league in North America, the CHL is composed of three leagues. Each league holds its own NHL-style playoffs with the winners of each league along with the host city playing in the prestigious Memorial Cup tournament. The CHL is considered a "major junior" league and is sometimes referred to this way.

Players in the CHL are aged 16-20 (with an occasional 15 year old permitted in the OHL via "exceptional player status"). 20 year olds are considered "overage" and limited to 3 per team while teams may not play more than 4 15 or 16 year olds. Age for CHL purposes is based on the calendar year so for the 2013-2014 season, a 20 year old is any player born in 1993. This contrasts with the NHL where draft eligibility is determined by age on September 15.

Each CHL league has an annual draft of bantam-aged players within their regions and the leagues hold a combined import draft for players from outside North America who may wish to play in the CHL. Teams are limited to 2 import players.

WHL (Western Hockey League)
The WHL includes 22 teams in four Canadian provinces and two American states. The WHL holds the CHL rights to players from the four western provinces, all three territories, the American Pacific Northwest and other designated states west of the Mississippi River. The winner of the WHL playoffs is awarded the Ed Chynoweth Cup.

Official website: http://www.whl.ca/

OHL (Ontario Hockey League)
The OHL is composed of 20 teams, located in the Canadian province of Ontario and the American states of Michigan and Pennsylvania. The winner of the OHL playoffs is awarded the J. Ross Robertson Cup.

Official website: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/

QMJHL (Ligue de hockey junior majeur du Québec)
Also called "the Q", the QMJHL is the only CHL league with no American teams (although there used to be one in Maine). The QMJHL has 18 teams, based in Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. The league has CHL rights to players from these provinces as well as Newfoundland and New England. The winner of the QMJHL playoffs is awarded the President's Cup. The league is known for high scores and a style of hockey which prioritises offense. Pity the goalies.

Official website: http://theqmjhl.ca/

Kontinental Hockey League

Russia is pretty into hockey. They've had aspirations to create a pan-Europe league to rival the NHL, but for now they have the KHL. Originating from the Russian Superleague, the league has expanded beyond Russia with teams in Belarus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Latvia, Kazakhstan, Slovakia, Ukraine and Finland. Prominent ex-NHLers include Alexander Radulov (CKSA Moscow) and Ilya Kovalchuk (SKA Saint Petersburg). Some Russian prospects take their time moving over to North America from the KHL.

Changes for 2016-17: There's a team in China now. HC Kunlun Red Star. Maybe other stuff too, I dunno. Russia is far away

Official website: http://en.khl.ru/

FAQ
Sounds cool! How can I watch?
The best way is in person. Minor hockey is cheap and you can probably get decent seats for $10-$15. Check your local team's Twitter or Facebook for additional promotions (e.g. my local WHL team has a limited number of seats on sale on Mondays for $5).

But if you don't live near a team, or want to keep up with their away games, the best way to keep up for free is radio. Yes, that's still a thing. Most if not all of these teams have all their games broadcast by a local radio station, and radio is almost universally available to stream (legally!) for free online with no restrictions on location. Sure, this means you can't see the games to judge your team's precious prospects with your own eyes, but radio commentating is very thorough and hearing the players' names to know who has been involved in the play gives a pretty good idea of who has played well. Hockey Webcasts is a fairly comprehensive source to stream radio for almost every North American team from the NHL, AHL, ECHL, WHL, OHL, and QMJHL. If your team is missing, check the official league page or team website.

The AHL, WHL, OHL and QMJHL all have sites like NHL Gamecenter Live where you can watch the games online. However, they are expensive and the quality tends to be pretty bad, with the video often just being a low-res feed of whatever goes up on the jumbotron. On occasion, games are televised locally in which case you might be able to find them on your favourite illegal streaming site. All KHL games are streamed through onhockey.ru, but they happen in the middle of the (North American) night and are in Russian, so that may or may not be your thing.

Why can't my team's hot prospect play in the AHL if he doesn't make the NHL team?
You can blame the NHL/CHL Agreement, a.k.a. why I didn't get to see Seth Jones play in Milwaukee.

Somewhere around 60% of all NHL players played in the CHL, making it the main pool from which the NHL drafts its players. To prevent NHL teams from taking their best players and immediately sending them to one of their minor league affiliates, the NHL and CHL made an agreement. If a player was drafted from a CHL team, they have to either be 20 years old by Dec. 31 (i.e. overage) or have played four years in the CHL in order to play in the AHL. Otherwise, the player must be sent back to the CHL team that has their rights. Note that this only applies to players drafted from the CHL, not players drafted from European leagues or the NCAA, even if they go on to play in the CHL after the draft.

If anything is wrong, blame Infidel Castro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Reserved, I guess

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Hoping the NWHL is willing to expand their powerbase into the midwest a bit, I need a team I can get behind

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
khl is also expanding to london soon. next year?

e: radulov is also free from his khl exile

fits fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 18, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Toledo Walleye are cool and good, and you should come see them.

Also totally gonna get out to a Monsters game sometime this year :toot:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

DJExile posted:

As always, let me know when. I'll get you tickets.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I posted this in the old thread here it is again case someone is interested

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The arena the ECHL Cyclones and AHL Mighty Ducks played at the past few decades closed in Cincinnati a few months back and they are auctioning off basically anything attached to the walls of the place going back the past few decades. Browsing through stuff it looks like they have a bunch of various team banners that they had hanging from the ceilings for various hockey eras, so if you ever wanted to get a 72"x70" Hamilton Bulldogs flag now is your chance

https://www.ebth.com/sales/17743-the-cincinnati-gardens-museum/categories?page=1

The Gardens was a smelly old pit of an arena and absolutely ruled. I lived like two miles from the place and went to like a dozen Cyclones games a year as a kid. I recognize like 2/3rds of the stuff on that site from various places in the arena and am having quite a nostalgia trip over it.

I looked through more of it and it looks like AHL banners from a few years ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That NWA show had to own :stare:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

DJExile posted:

The Toledo Walleye are cool and good, and you should come see them.

I was thinking if going to the Flyers/Wings game at the Joe this year, but Toledo's on the road that weekend.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

I was thinking if going to the Flyers/Wings game at the Joe this year, but Toledo's on the road that weekend.

Ooh I didn't realize that was a weekend game this year. I may try to get up to that.

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I looked through more of it and it looks like AHL banners from a few years ago.

I'm tempted to place a bid on the Aeros and Rampage banners, but shipping to Texas is ~$50 and I have no idea what I'd actually do with them.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It looks like xrxs.net doesn't do junior games anymore — anyone got the latest on how to stream AHL/CHL games?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

As far as AHL goes, there's the legit and overpriced AHL Live.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Milwaukee is moving back to the MECCA US Cellular UW Milwaukee Panther Arena this year after putting down about $3 million on renovations. They're having an open skate tomorrow, plus they're showing the Ads/Wolves game. I'll be sure to post some pics of the place.

Hockles posted:

As far as AHL goes, there's the legit and overpriced AHL Live.

A full package of AHL Live costs more than my half-season ticket plan.

Fair warning: most teams just use a jumbotron feed and video quality is really inconsistent.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 18, 2016

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Infidel Castro posted:

A full package of AHL Live costs more than my half-season ticket plan.

Fair warning: most teams just use a jumbotron feed and video quality is really inconsistent.

Honestly, if the team you follow doesn't do HD and/or has a good jumbotron feed, don't even bother. Cleveland is by far the best production value, and it's still not as good as NHL.TV. I use the AHL Live feed to confirm goals/assists/etc for my position and it is like 60% quality of NHL.TV

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah, I don't expect to be able to watch more than a handful of games, so the full plans are beyond my means. I mostly just want to be able to watch the Fronts on a Sunday afternoon.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I know you can buy individual games on AHL Live. Dunno about the CHL though.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
i just use the radio fees to listen to games :shrug: ahl live is garbage

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Season Tickets are here, baby!

The new arena's lookin' nice too.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that this year the AHL instituted a new rule saying players will be suspended if they get into too many fights. After player accrues ten fighting penalties this season, they'll be subject to a one game suspension for each fight thereafter (so the 11th one would be the first suspension).

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Infidel Castro posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that this year the AHL instituted a new rule saying players will be suspended if they get into too many fights. After player accrues ten fighting penalties this season, they'll be subject to a one game suspension for each fight thereafter (so the 11th one would be the first suspension).

It's in the OP. :colbert:

I did update the AHL stuff, since that is what I'm familar with.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
http://lakingsinsider.com/2016/10/22/jonah-imoo-to-be-backed-up-by-father-dusty/

quote:

As goalie Jonah Imoo is making his first pro start it will be his father Dusty, the Reign’s goalie coach, who will serve as his backup.

“This could set some kind of hockey history,” Reign coach Mike Stothers said following morning skate ahead of tonight’s 6 p.m. game against visiting San Jose. “The son will be backed up by his dad. We’ll have two Imoos on the roster, both on PTOs. … I guess it’s good to have your goalie coach that close, right? He’s on the bench.”

The reason the Reign are in this predicament is their starting Jack Campbell will be going to Los Angeles to serve as the Kings’ backup after a morning skate injury sustained by Jeff Zatkoff ahead of their game against Vancouver. The Reign’s expected No. 1 going into the season before Campbell was Peter Budaj, and he’s with the Kings due to an injury to Jonathan Quick. Just last weekend the Reign had to bring on Jonah Imoo to back up in San Diego after Budaj was recalled. And so the cycle goes and here we are in the rarest of circumstances.

“It is amazing a goalie situation has come up again this early in the season,” Stothers said. “Jonah is going to get his first American Hockey League start. He’s worked hard for the opportunity. It certainly hasn’t come easy to him. It’s not because his dad’s the goalie coach of our team. He’s legitimately put in the time and deserves an opportunity. He’ll go in. It’s a little bit unexpected. We weren’t counting on this happening but maybe it’s better for him. He doesn’t have that much time to think about it. Just go in and play. We’ll see how it goes.”

apparently dusty imoo was the starting goalie for japan at the nagano olympics for what thats worth

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

OP forgot the CWHL :colbert:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The last time I saw the Florida Everblades, it was 2007 and they'd lost in Game 7 to the Dayton Bombers in the American Conference finals.

Tonight, I'm seeing them in Orlando, with $20 club level seats in a much different building. I hope for the same outcome.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fits posted:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2016/10/22/jonah-imoo-to-be-backed-up-by-father-dusty/

apparently dusty imoo was the starting goalie for japan at the nagano olympics for what thats worth

Was that the competition where Forsberg had 14 pts against Japan or a different one

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Schlesische posted:

a) It's basically a cut and paste of lady years OP I made

b) I have yet to see one person post anything about the CWHL in these threads aside from this one.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Yeah!

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Schlesische posted:

Should put them in when they pay their players. Or at least cover their equipment costs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Walleye win home opener in OT :toot:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Milwaukee finally loses a game (gently caress the shootout), 3-2 to Rockford. Would have been nice if Nashville hadn't called up half the team, but it was for a good cause (gently caress the Pens).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Why is it (and Hockles, you might know the answer being in AHL game ops) the AHL and ECHL always/usually have an announcement at the end of a PK that the "(Team name) are at full strength"? Is it for situational awareness for the less-experienced players? I've only seen it in the NHL when an in-arena clock malfunctions for some reason.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Why is it (and Hockles, you might know the answer being in AHL game ops) the AHL and ECHL always/usually have an announcement at the end of a PK that the "(Team name) are at full strength"? Is it for situational awareness for the less-experienced players? I've only seen it in the NHL when an in-arena clock malfunctions for some reason.

It happens in college too. I think it's cool.

Plus a lot of places have chants to go with it. "[visiting team] back at full strength" is often met with "THAT'S DEBATABLE" from the crowd, which I love.

E: I'm guessing it's just a hold over from older days. I wanna say I remember hearing it at some Red Wings games I went to as a kid back in the 80s.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 25, 2016

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

After being at an NHL game again after working for the AHL, I definitely noticed less announcements at the NHL game than at the AHL games.

I don't know why there are more announcements. But, the announcements are explicitly laid out in a handout given to off-ice officials (such as myself).

I prefer more announcements, to be honest.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I suspect there's room for more announcements in the AHL, since in the NHL the in-arena experience is already risking sensory overload.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Binghamton is still insisting that there will still be an team next season. Either Albany or the Las Vegas expansion. Here's hoping they come up with a localized name.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah Walleye games have announcements at basically every whistle, largely sponsorship reads and the like.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DJExile posted:

Plus a lot of places have chants to go with it. "[visiting team] back at full strength" is often met with "THAT'S DEBATABLE" from the crowd, which I love.

Allen's is "and they still suck!". One of my favorite things, other than the drum line. :v:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

DJExile posted:

E: I'm guessing it's just a hold over from older days. I wanna say I remember hearing it at some Red Wings games I went to as a kid back in the 80s.

They stopped doing this announcements in Milwaukee last year. No clue why.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Binghamton is still insisting that there will still be an team next season. Either Albany or the Las Vegas expansion. Here's hoping they come up with a localized name.

The front office staff at the WBS Pens were telling me they are pretty sure it's Albany.

I would expect Vegas to go to Albany or Portland, at least for a season or two, until they can build themselves something closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Going to the Stars game tomorrow, it will be ... interesting. Think they have like 7 or so of their forwards playing up in Dallas filling in for injuries. Can't get an actual count from the AHL, just seeing the injuries on the Dallas roster and name checking some of the players I recognize.

• Locked thread