Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I forget the minimum number recommended for unloaders but I think its easily 4 digits. You get your best value for the materials the more distinct cargoes come into the station. Robots, bad at moving one single thing, fantastic at sorting while moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If you're using separate trains/stations for each resource, I see no reason not to have trains sitting at the unload depot if there's no room to unload their stuff - if the unload chests are full then you're not using that resource enough to go back and get more.

On the pickup end, I've wired the supplying chests to the station and set the condition at "leave if full inventory OR ore < 100 in circuit". So it'll leave if it fills up or if it's emptied the chests waiting to be picked up.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
As a reminder you can copy and paste train schedules the same way you can copy/paste what assemblers produce.

So you can fairly easily have several types of trains with the same instructions (go to ore 1, go to ore 2, go to ore 3, only leave ore 3 if there is room to unload at next station, go to unload station, etc)

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Tenebrais posted:

If you're using separate trains/stations for each resource, I see no reason not to have trains sitting at the unload depot if there's no room to unload their stuff - if the unload chests are full then you're not using that resource enough to go back and get more.

On the pickup end, I've wired the supplying chests to the station and set the condition at "leave if full inventory OR ore < 100 in circuit". So it'll leave if it fills up or if it's emptied the chests waiting to be picked up.

I can't fit more than three trains at each station. It's enough for now, but probably not later on. A depot would fix the issue, but I'll need to read M_Gargantua's post a few more times to know how to set it up.

Good tip to condition to leave if the chest is empty.

Another question: I have a few trains going through three deposits (keeping with my "can't risk running out of ore" policy) before unloading at the station, but they usually are full by the second (the first is nearly depleted), is there a way to tell them to forget the rest of the route and go straight to the depot once they're full?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I usually use "wait until 5 secs inactivity OR until xx time passed" on my loading stations just so train traffic keeps moving

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Zetsubou-san posted:

I usually use "wait until 5 secs inactivity OR until xx time passed" on my loading stations just so train traffic keeps moving
OR until full, of course. Then a full train will just leave instantly

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Really dumb question about train stops: does the "wait until" parameter for a stop in a train route determine when the train advances to the stop, or when the train leaves that stop?

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Really dumb question about train stops: does the "wait until" parameter for a stop in a train route determine when the train advances to the stop, or when the train leaves that stop?

All of the conditions at train stops are instructions for the train to depart. Once a train pulls in, it is under control of the stop.
*Logic fuckery could throw this out the window, but I'm no factorio systems engineer.
E: Now I'm wondering about having a yard with a bunch of trains in storage, and circuit lines between the yard and outposts where trains are dispatched based on need. I run power with my rail lines anyway, so it wouldn't be too much trouble to add in a circuit network.

Royal W fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 23, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
No, the stop doesn't do anything. The most it can do is pass a circuit value to the train.

The conditions on a train order determine when the train leaves. Think of it as "until." Go to stop "until" the condition is satisfied.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
So I got my Train call system to work. Is there any way without mods to give if/then commands to a train? eg:If Iron reports full, go to iron/If copper reports full, go to copper. Do trains have to go to stops in the order in the list without skipping?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Royal W posted:

So I got my Train call system to work. Is there any way without mods to give if/then commands to a train? eg:If Iron reports full, go to iron/If copper reports full, go to copper. Do trains have to go to stops in the order in the list without skipping?
I think they can skip the stop if you deactivate the stop, which you can trigger on the circuit network.

I only read about that though.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

I think they can skip the stop if you deactivate the stop, which you can trigger on the circuit network.

I only read about that though.

The only option I get when wiring up a train stop is "send to train"

Exewu
Jun 21, 2009
<br>

Exewu posted:

I ran that uncluttermod bud it didn't help much. Now I've just disabled autosaving and go take a break if I need to save/load, it takes close to 6 minutes now.

I take it back. I ran the game again with the unclutter mod and it took ages to load. After rebooting factorio however it is back to 5 second saves/loads!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
6minutes to save ? wtf how much have you explored?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FISHMANPET posted:

No, the stop doesn't do anything. The most it can do is pass a circuit value to the train.

The conditions on a train order determine when the train leaves. Think of it as "until." Go to stop "until" the condition is satisfied.

Cool, thanks. Every time previously I've just used the default stop parameters but I'm trying to be a little more advanced with my factory overall this go around.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Reactors update 1.4.4 - now when you send a shutdown command to a reactor, it keeps shutting down until power drops to zero, even if you remove the shutdown signal. While doing this it will emit a "shutting down" status signal.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

There's no way yet to disable or customize the train alert/warning messages, is there? I am really tired of the 2- and 10-minute-between-stations warnings especially when there aren't any actual problems (in my opinion!) with having six trains waiting to unload.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That's a mod that does that, those aren't in the base game. Do you have The Fat Controller installed? I know that mod has something like that, and it's customizeable I believe.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Fat Controller lets me disable the alerts, thank you! The remote view and pause/play functions are also quite handy.

Exewu
Jun 21, 2009
<br>

Wandering Orange posted:

Fat Controller lets me disable the alerts, thank you! The remote view and pause/play functions are also quite handy.

One of the recent updates added that in the base game. There's a train icon above the map where you can see all your trains and change their orders. You can also click on each stop to see all the trains that have that stop in their route. (that might be the 14 beta though)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
TFC remove view is better than the built in one though, it lets you mouseover entities rather than just looking with your eyes.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
0.14.15, are we close to stable yet hmm?

FactorioBot posted:

Changes
  • Improved the browse-mods GUI by downloading mods while browsing the mods list.
  • Improved the delete-mod functionality in the installed-mods GUI.
  • Achievements unlocked locally without using steam get unlocked on steam once the game is started in steam mode.
  • Storage tanks connected to the circuit network will output floored fluid values instead of rounding them.

Bugfixes

Scripting
  • Added LuaSurface.set_chunk_generated_status().
  • Added defines.chunk_generated_status.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Does that mean biters won't attack poles, rails, or belts again?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Nullkigan posted:

Does that mean biters won't attack poles, rails, or belts again?

Report thread talks about rails so probably, yeah.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

Report thread talks about rails so probably, yeah.

Best bug fix ever. It's immensely annoying when you're using RSO.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
0.14.16 quickly follows to fix IP bugs apparently.

HanziQ posted:

Bugfixes
  • Fixed crash related to technology migration. (https://forums.factorio.com/35161)
  • Fixed item sub groups wouldn't be used in the recipe GUI when item groups were disabled. (https://forums.factorio.com/35140)
  • Public and LAN game visibility are now separate settings (in GUI and in server-settings.json), and they can be toggled runtime with the /config command. See data/server-settings.example.json for a way to specify the visibility, as the old one will not work anymore.
  • Fixed has password/mods filters not working.
  • Fixed problems with determining external IP address for MP games. (https://forums.factorio.com/35192)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Double posting but worth it. This just showed up in the Reactors mod thread

My rough count says that's something like 3GW? Should be enough for him, perhaps.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ratzap posted:

My rough count says that's something like 3GW? Should be enough for him, perhaps.

I like it! But, only 3GW you say? Challenge accepted!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

If one reactor can only power two engines, how is he powering thirty engines with ten reactors?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

seravid posted:

If one reactor can only power two engines, how is he powering thirty engines with ten reactors?

2 steam turbines and 2 standard steam engines will work. He's using 2 and 1? Do pay attention Bond ;)

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Better calibrate your monitor, Q, 'cause those engines are all the same shade of blue. Three turbines per reactor, that's 36MW.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

seravid posted:

Better calibrate your monitor, Q, 'cause those engines are all the same shade of blue. Three turbines per reactor, that's 36MW.

drat my old eyes. I saved the picture and zoomed in with an image tool. It looks like he's got them in staggered rows of plant + 1 tower feeding 3 turbines as you say but the 3rd one cannot be running full power. I imagine he's using a 3rd turbine to save the space of using 2 normal engines. Still 10 double blocks of 150MW making around 3GW though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe it has something to do with those extra pumps? He's using 50% more than usual (90 pumps for 10 reactors).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

seravid posted:

Maybe it has something to do with those extra pumps? He's using 50% more than usual (90 pumps for 10 reactors).
That shouldn't matter as the restriction is thermal. If he pumps more through at less than 100 degrees he'll get crappy output. If he only pumps out when it's 100 degrees, the 3rd turbine will not have enough water to run 12MW.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Anyone find a good hosting service for headless servers? Linode is choking once I get late game with a few thousand robots. The headless server only seems to run on 1 core (expected), but linode I think only uses 2.5ghz cpus.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

kordansk posted:

Anyone find a good hosting service for headless servers? Linode is choking once I get late game with a few thousand robots. The headless server only seems to run on 1 core (expected), but linode I think only uses 2.5ghz cpus.

Running a jjclark/factorio container on a Joyent "High CPU 2" instance reports
code:
   0.026 System info: [CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v3 @ 2.60GHz, 48 cores, RAM: 2048MB]
The GHz might go farther because it is a container instead of a VM, but I don't have a big save to compare with.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The Pingperfect server I'm using says this in the log

code:
0.021 System info: [CPU:       Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz, 8 cores, RAM: 32740MB]

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Does anyone have a good Factorio calculator that's current and allows productivity and/or speed modules?

I'm trying to figure out how many Heavy > Light and Light > Petroleum plants I need if I have 50 refineries, and if all of them (refineries and the chemical plants) have 2 Productivity 3 modules in them. I can do the math by hand, but I'd just rather not.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

Does anyone have a good Factorio calculator that's current and allows productivity and/or speed modules?

I'm trying to figure out how many Heavy > Light and Light > Petroleum plants I need if I have 50 refineries, and if all of them (refineries and the chemical plants) have 2 Productivity 3 modules in them. I can do the math by hand, but I'd just rather not.

Have you tried this: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Helfima/helmod

The english is almost understandable now and I think it does what you want (if I remember it correctly, don't have it in a current save).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

FISHMANPET posted:

Its not the craziest thing to spreadsheet if you want to specify the modules yourself. 50 advanced oil processing refineries : 10 chem plants heavy oil cracking : 70 chem plants light oil cracking.

Or maybe I completely hosed it up and it is the craziest thing to spreadsheet. Either or.