Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was supposed to be going out tonight so I got drunk ahead of time but now the night out is off so I'm just going to watch The Genius.

They got totally iced in that deathmatch by Dongmin. It felt like it was really a deathmatch between Dongmin and the other do because Yeonseung did literally nothing. Jinho had the best strategy for the game prior to this but he didn't realise the other two had seen him explain it so his moves were super easy to read.

Here is my initial hopes and dreams for the elimated so far

Junghyun - Please god more classic bumbling to wins
Yohwan - I am genuinely sick to my stomach again now that the chance of him beating Jinho is possible again. I like the guy a lot but his reaching the finals was frustrating

Neither of these happened and I am fine with the fact that they left early. If Yeonseong leaves next then I'll be glad.

Pretty much everything else I wrote is the same, on to episode 3

e: Jinho crying as Yohwan left saying he needs to change :saddowns: You are the greatest Jinho I belive in you

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

EmmyOk posted:

I was supposed to be going out tonight so I got drunk ahead of time but now the night out is off so I'm just going to watch The Genius.

They got totally iced in that deathmatch by Dongmin. It felt like it was really a deathmatch between Dongmin and the other do because Yeonseung did literally nothing. Jinho had the best strategy for the game prior to this but he didn't realise the other two had seen him explain it so his moves were super easy to read.

Yohwan - I am genuinely sick to my stomach again now that the chance of him beating Jinho is possible again. I like the guy a lot but his reaching the finals was frustrating

Neither of these happened and I am fine with the fact that they left early. If Yeonseong leaves next then I'll be glad.

e: Jinho crying as Yohwan left saying he needs to change :saddowns: You are the greatest Jinho I belive in you

Yeonseung nodded when Dongmin told him to. That's not literally nothing. It's close to.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Exercu posted:

Yeonseung nodded when Dongmin told him to. That's not literally nothing. It's close to.

Lmao true. Like don't get me wrong I'm not blaming the guy he was right to take a back seat when his partner was so good at the game, I was just disappointed Dongmin battered Jinho. Narrator made me hoepful Jinho would rise from this though like last time

Max
Nov 30, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

Oh my god you're going to watch the greatest episode.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Holy poo poo will my wish come true :swoon:

e: they even teases Jinho/Yoonsun

but then after Jinho said he would have to show he was The Genius

Yoonsun "some people say you're not as bright anymore"

Dongmin "you're in a rut"

these goddamn motherfuckers

e: I initially downloaded episode 4 so the start let me know Dongmin turns something around? And also is not eliminated this ep but the Jinho declaration was still baller

ee: apparently it may have been ep 8 I saw based on my firefox history. Literally just saw two dudes walk in and mention last weeks main match was seed poker and I was like nope it wasn't. So no real spoilers!

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 23, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I cannot believe that hiding under a table may be the finest intellectual move ever in this series.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

I cannot believe that hiding under a table may be the finest intellectual move ever in this series.

i love how when he was caught, sangmin just got up and was like "ok so i have all the data ya"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It was glorious

Lmao at the betrayal and I see another prediction came true! "If we're doing this I'll come last and choose Kyunghoon" Dongmin :swoon:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm on the edge of my seat watching you watch this episode.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I understand that you're cross Kyunghoon told everyone he betrayed them to save you, Sangmin. I figure you'll probably still win because you're Sangmin but c'mon man it's 100% your fault that ten million betrayals has finally blown up in your face just a little.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also Sangmin lecturing Kyunghoon for being a lovely accomplice is proof that I was right to call him dumb Sunggyu at the star. Also clearly Sunggyu didn't return so as to nerf Sangmin.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Artelier posted:

i love how when he was caught, sangmin just got up and was like "ok so i have all the data ya"

I absolutely loved that moment when I first watched that episode, but thinking back on it, it feels like it might have been staged. Either way, that was hilarious though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

EmmyOk posted:

Rather than make a post everytime something happens in this week's episode I'm just going to keep track of my reactions and post them all at once

Now and in the future, :justpost:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm pretty surprised that Dongmin was convinced to betray his team and save Sangmin. I mean it's a logically sound move to make garnets and a strong ally considering the set up of the Grand Final but still a bit of a blow.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bitches what did I say about Jun motherfucking Seok being a dark horse. I was interested in him after his two reappearances in previous seasons and loved him telling th 10 man alliance to get hosed in episode 1.

pokeyman posted:

Now and in the future, :justpost:

:shobon: thanks

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Triple post incoming!

Okay before I watch this deathmatch I am pulling for Kyunghoon. I kind of feel bad for him but mainly even though I love Sangmin like any normal human person I think him being blasted out early after his endless bertrayals finally catch up to him is a suitable end.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Artelier posted:

Honestly I think that moment is when Dongmin realized just how dangerous the S1 returnees really were.

"Oh poo poo they really aren't loving around are they."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Triple post incoming!

Okay before I watch this deathmatch I am pulling for Kyunghoon. I kind of feel bad for him but mainly even though I love Sangmin like any normal human person I think him being blasted out early after his endless bertrayals finally catch up to him is a suitable end.

Deathmatch reaction?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

bumdi's Society Game e1 sub is out
http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/152186981508/society-game-subbed

Two full hours so I probably am not going to be watching the whole thing right now

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
First ep of Society game is up: http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/152186981508/society-game-subbed

Can someone watch and give a trip report because I saw luck-based and physical challenges in the preview and am not hyped by that.

e:fb

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm determined to hate this show for the crime of depriving us of The Genius. We'll see

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Argue posted:

First ep of Society game is up: http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/152186981508/society-game-subbed

Can someone watch and give a trip report because I saw luck-based and physical challenges in the preview and am not hyped by that.

e:fb

I just watched it and it was actually pretty compelling. I didn't really see anything luck based as such? Also MJ owns and I'm on her team for now.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuqB3ghFW3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skHzPC5S-aA

BTS' both with big spoilers

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Easily the most epic game of ring toss I've ever seen. 10/10 would listen to Suicide Squad soundtrack again.

Zythrst posted:

Also MJ owns and I'm on her team for now.

The narrative that they were building up that she was going to clown everyone in the physical game was great, shame it didn't happen. So agreed, MJ is great.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

GuavaMoment posted:

Easily the most epic game of ring toss I've ever seen. 10/10 would listen to Suicide Squad soundtrack again.

The narrative that they were building up that she was going to clown everyone in the physical game was great, shame it didn't happen. So agreed, MJ is great.

It was very satisfying to see her get that one guy though. I really enjoyed this, definitely a mashup of The Genius and Survivor. I think the overall design isn't quite as sharp as Genius, but the large number of people and the balance of inter-team/intra-team conflict definitely makes it compelling. Anyone who likes the Genius should at least keep with it up through the main game.

I don't know if the editing is making for much more clear-cut villains in this, or if because it's drawn from 'everyday people' some of them are just assholes. I'm in though. Will discussion live in this thread like Crime Scene's or should it get it's own?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Personally, I like just having the discussion of all the bumdi subbed shows in here. They all overlap quite a bit in terms of content (plus it's not like they're all airing at the same time). Although maybe a thread rename/new first post would be apt.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why did they pixellate that dude's armpits? :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

Legit the biggest mystery of the episode.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

They might have weird laws about body exposure.

I know here in Malaysia media publications get into trouble if elbows are seen in pictures.

Not joking.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sign me the gently caress up for Team MJ

It was so great when she clowned that dude

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Rarity posted:

i was guessing maybe a weird tattoo since they censor those a lot, but that assumption fell through when MJ's tattoo bandage fell off.

i like the narrative going on with the dictator camp, already got your benevolent dictator after revolution going on, though that won't last when they lose. i felt like mj should have been used more, but ah well. also kinda annoyed at who got eliminated as i thought they showed promise

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Deathmatch reaction?

I am actually really happy with how it turned out! Sangmin's betrayals finally seemed to catch up with him and it was poetic that he was taken down by his own mad dog. I know he says he chose incorrectly by going with Kyunghoon but really I don't think that's true. If you look at the first and second season he always picked someone he thought would be dumb or listen to him. In the first season it just turned out that Sunggyu was also amazing and their partnership was incredibly potent. In the second season he had Grandpa and Jiwon and before that the whole broadcaster alliance. If the kings are going to fall then I'm glad the first one to go wasn't Jinho at least. I think Dongmin will survive the longest out of the remaining champions and I'll actually post an updated player list with my current thoughts.

Jinho - Jinho is definitely struggling to stand out but for most people this season that's the case. Considering the competition is so high level that's not really a knock on him but it is a shame. I think his biggest flaw is that he has been so iconic for so long he's been figured out. The Yutnori game is a prime example because his opponents read all his moves because he had previously explained how he chose moves. Maybe when the pack clears out a bit we'll get a God Jinho moment but I'm worried honestly. Regardless of this season imo he is still the best The Genius player we have ever seen.

Dongmin - His plays tyle is definitely one that can't really be figured out because it relies on people working with him. Apart from episode three he doesn't betray people and fights hard for his team as well as being sharp as a whip. Could easily see him going to the final again though he does have his occasisional "I'm ruined moments". Stuff like his monorail meltdown or even less severe would be a death sentence in this season.

Hyunmin - At first I was going to say he didn't stand out much this season but that's not true and he's probably the best player bar one this season. He's super smart and his biggest advantage over Jinho is that he seems to react far more quickly when something does go wrong.

Kyungran - Kyungran is still perfect and I'm glad to see her be a lioness as always. Much like season one her gameplay doesn't stand out but she always positions herself in the most beneficial group. I expect her to last till the later parts of the season.

Sangmin - I guess it wasn't his legacy of betrayals that caught up to him but rather a betrayal that blew up in his face. I suspect people will blame Kyunghoon for his elimination but they'd be wrong. If your playstyle is based around double and triple-crossing then when getting rumbled is the risk you take. It is more surprising that he went so long without ever being caught on the hop before. Still he's a true phenom and though Jinho is the best player Sangmin is surely the most successful with his nine main match win streak. I guess Dongmin couldn't remain pure when Sangmin came calling but even Sangmin couldn't survive the "Dongmin Protection Curse". Then again I'm still expecting the finale to stop suddenly and rewind revealing Sangmin never lost. Super interested to see how episode four and on take shape without Sangmin forming alliances.

Junghyun/Yohwan - I'm not surprised they couldn't repeat their season two performances so I am glad they went early. I like both of them a lot and I don't think they played badly at all.

Yoonsun -What is Korean for marry me? She exemplified what I said earlier that when you are being frozen out that is your time to shine. Arguably the only player to have a The Genius moment so far this season imo. In the Horror Race when she made it look like she was helping Yoohyun but was helping the other team and herself was top stuff, super impressive. Really liked her and Kyungran duking it out while Sangmin made everyone hide. Also her and Jinho are cute together :colbert: Really hoping she does well because she seems to have a lot of The Genius qualities that don't get a chance to come out.

Yoohyun - I think he's great and liked that he spotted Sangmin's card swap. At the end of the day though I don't think he's amazing enough to beat the top level. I super like him though but I don't think he has ever shown the spark of greatness. Wouldn't mind being proven wrong!

Jungmoon -Still same as above really but I don't like her as much, she's very much a wallflower.

Titty God - I actually like Kyunghoon a lot and though he's kind of dumb I don't think his wild mood swings are made up. He reminds me of myself when I was younger swinging wildly between "what if I beat you myself, sunbae" and "why will no one talk to meeeeee :saddowns:". I thought he acquitted himself very well in betting RPS including realising that Kyungran cares very deeply for Sangmin (which is insanely cute obviously). For me he feels like a super talented player who is going through The Genius puberty.

Yongseong - Still pretty meh on him to be honest. I don't feel like there's anything special about him. He didn't stand out to me in the third season or this one. There are people like Yoohyun and Jungmoon you could say the same about but Mentality King just doesn't click for me. I hope he is gone soon not because I hate him or anything but he's the only person left I don't really care what they're doing in a game.

Jongseok - Okay guys I loving said he could be a dark horse as soon as he walked in because he had showed himself to be sharp in the first season's finale during Hyap! Gul! He also realised that he was going to get boned in the Firing Game in the second season if he didn't change rooms. Because I clicked the wrong episode last night I know he survives up until [spoiler]episode 8. I saw him and Dongmin walk in first then realised it wasn't episode 3[/spoiler. Despite that you can ask Max because I have been hype on him ages. I think he's a decent bet for winner of the season and that will have so much poetry if he is.

Also who is the person in all Bumpy's avatars?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Society Game is a bit of a mix of The Genius and Survivor, and though I prefer the former to the later the mix of the two still seems promising enough.

NeuroticLich posted:

Personally, I like just having the discussion of all the bumdi subbed shows in here. They all overlap quite a bit in terms of content (plus it's not like they're all airing at the same time).

Agreed.

Anyway some thoughts on Society Game ep1

When they explained the rules of the long term endgame of your final team of 3 vs the opposing village's team of 3 (in one physical, one mental, one dexterity contest) I wondered if it was worth the Dictatorship village picking their final 3 early on as recipients of the Keys of Rebellion and feeding them the majority of the prize money. e.g. If you're strong at mental games, pick a strong dex and a strong physical player and give each of them one key then split the prize money between the 3 of you and it doesn't matter if other villagers don't like it so long as you keep both key holders happy (there just seemed like good overlap between needing 3 people for endgame and having leadership power split between 3 people). Your key holders wouldn't have much reason to betray you (because a fairer split of the money would result in them getting a smaller share) and since your fortunes would be tied together so closely it would be difficult for them to rebel without immediately getting punished for it themselves (if you had a team of 3 locking other players out of the game then if that team of 3 collapses I think the other players would hold a grudge against all of them not just the ringleader.)

However then the actual games came along and they require your whole village to participate, so pissing off your other villagers might make them deliberately tank games out of spite (and even without that if they have no prize money and are just elimination fodder then they have no reason to apply any effort to games). I still think the idea is worth considering, just you can't do it too early or too transparently. It definitely seems like you should give keys of rebellion to your closest allies (the people you want to go to endgame with) rather than using them to try to win over important people of unknown loyalty (buy these people with money, not with keys) - just in this episode we saw someone try to win an important ally with a key of rebellion then have it backfire on them almost immediately (I originally wondered if it was a deliberate ploy to get the guy to start a rebellion for no reason whilst making sure he didn't have enough support so then the leader had a good scapegoat going forward, but the rebel seemed to immediately get enough votes so the idea didn't work out for the original Dictator leader any way I look at it). I also found it really weird when people asked for keys of rebellion whilst saying they didn't want to use them - keys have exactly one purpose of starting the rebellion so someone asking for one is automatically suspicious as hell for me. And it's interesting that the person who starts the rebellion automatically becomes next leader, so it's hard for people to instigate change without getting forced into the limelight themselves. I do wonder if you could have consolidation rebellions though e.g. P1 is leader, P2 and P3 are key holders, P1 and P2 are close allies, P3 was formerly a close ally but now has drifted apart and he may attempt a rebellion sometime soon, P2 starts a rebellion to deal with this threat then gives Keys of Rebellion to P1 and P4... so effectively the main change is cutting P3 out of a position of power.

I would've preferred more focus on the games and less focus on people getting accustomed to their new homes, but then I'm a tremendous sperg so people just being people always confuses and enrages me. I did find it funny though that in both camps it seemed like the fastest way to popularity and leadership was to give people food. And just in general the conditions seem pretty harsh.

I liked the design of the main game as it seemed like there were a lot of different ways you could approach it, but it seemed like the results of the individual games were very swingy. You could come up with an excellent overall strategy and still lose if you lost matches you needed to win (even whilst trying to stack those matchups as much in your favour as possible). Meta strategy dictated how quickly/safely you could win and how many chances you'd have, but no amount of strategy could force particular matchups to go your way so good plans could implode pretty easily.

I thought the questions for the mental games seemed pretty easy. Especially since if I'm understanding the rules correctly you can quickly learn the rule from the envelope clue, grab the totem the moment question appears then you have 30 seconds to work out the right answer and your opponent is locked out unless you make a mistake. And it's not like you really needed the clues for all the questions (which ultimately lead to a guy watching it shouting out the correct answer, that the opposing team's player then repeated :doh:). And "How many times does the letter 'O' appear in this word" just doesn't seem impressive compared to some of the questions Dongmin solved in Genius S4.

I found it funny that the Democracy village decided on voting players out by privately mentioning them to the leader, because I'm not really seeing what keeps the leader honest here. Maybe people would get suspicious if you eliminated a highly valued player when someone else was a much more obvious elimination candidate, but in closer scenarios it seems like the Democracy leader can make the decision they want then pretend that's how the votes turned out. e.g. Your ally has 4 elimination votes, a neutral player has 3 elimination votes, a player you clash with has 3 elimination votes (including your own) so you decide to eliminate the player you dislike and it would be hard for people to uncover what the votes actually were (especially since the whole point of privately voting is to avoid creating grudges, so publicizing your vote after privately casting it undermines the point of that privacy). And maybe even if you were totally honest about the votes people might assume you manipulated things if it ends with a result that's beneficial to you. And since there's a daily vote for leader even if most of the democracy village would be honest they still might end up with the occasional leader who overrules the majority opinion. (Thus far it seems like the leaders of both camps want to avoid pissing people off more than anything, but presumably people will get more ruthless as the show gets closer to the end).

The blacklist idea is also interesting, because it's a "This guy is useful now, but I might need to get rid of him later" mechanic for the winning team, but not like people have taken advantage of it yet.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The twitter av is Hani.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That was pretty good. Editing and music were excellent as always which makes even the most mundane moments exciting. But why no Wonder Woman tune on MJ's entrance ?????

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm still kinda baffled by how carelessly the keys are being handed around, they are by far the easiest way to secure the final 3.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

MJ is crazy cool.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
unrelated to society game: https://www.facebook.com/tvnsnl/videos/1184772201617324/

edit: bumdi sub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D27lhzISPc

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
MJ is the best so far. Definitely helps that she's the only one whose name I can remember for the first few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I definitely wanted MJ to be the person that team green sent up to protect their king and then win it for maximum dramatic triumph.