Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah, my guess would be rejiggered character designs/world design/general style, something more along the lines of the Fujisaki manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I suspect mostly it'll be shorter.
Which is unfortunate, in my opinion, because there's really very little in the OVA which I'd be happy to see omitted. Maybe ten episodes which could be trimmed down?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Condense the entire show into twelve episodes. LoGH: the Cliffnotes edition. :unsmigghh:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

There are literally only 2 filler episodes I can think of, and it's probably my favourite one. When Julian's just sat there watching history documentaries while on the way to Phezzan, and actually showing Reinhard's (I think it was Kessler?) fleet getting rid of planetary supplies though that's less filler.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

and actually showing Reinhard's (I think it was Kessler?) fleet getting rid of planetary supplies though that's less filler

Haha! That's actually a pair of back-to-back episodes, and they're the only ones I skip when I'm re-watching the show.
I think the "Julian watching documentaries" episodes are actually pretty non-filler, because they're one of the only times you get the deep historical context for the setting outside of the OVAs.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

StrixNebulosa posted:

Condense the entire show into twelve episodes. LoGH: the Cliffnotes edition. :unsmigghh:

On the flip side, make it a played for straight documentary like the one Julian saw.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

LoGH: Drunk History.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

halokiller posted:

On the flip side, make it a played for straight documentary like the one Julian saw.

This is kind of what the OVA is. Narratively, it treats the material flatly and without suspense. It's framed as if it's like a didactic historical reenactment of a past age. It's not exactly a documentary. I'm struggling to think of the name of it but there's a famous live-action series about WWI I watched in high school that took a pretty similar approach.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I've never thought about it, but I would love for an OVA series of in-universe documentaries on various topics. That or a series of pictures on the war fronts like MS Era. It could mostly be stills and off-screen commentary or talking heads and I would still eat it up. There are a lot of incredible high points in the series, but I found the faux-documentary episodes to be very engrossing and rank up there with those memorable moments.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

There are literally only 2 filler episodes I can think of, and it's probably my favourite one. When Julian's just sat there watching history documentaries while on the way to Phezzan, and actually showing Reinhard's (I think it was Kessler?) fleet getting rid of planetary supplies though that's less filler.

The historical doc eps aren't filler. They're summaries of the Prologue chapter of volume one, except they stuck it halfway through the series rather than as a 15 page textdump before the story even starts.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Superstring posted:

LoGH: Drunk History.

I'd watch the gently caress outta that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Patter Song posted:

The historical doc eps aren't filler. They're summaries of the Prologue chapter of volume one, except they stuck it halfway through the series rather than as a 15 page textdump before the story even starts.

They're totally unnecessary at that point and are therefore filler (but interesting filler).

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Patter Song posted:

Wow that was a slick move.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

They're totally unnecessary at that point and are therefore filler (but interesting filler).

Unnecessary does not equal filler, and scenes / episodes that are not strictly related to the main plot are not "totally unnecessary".

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DamnGlitch posted:

Unnecessary does not equal filler, and scenes / episodes that are not strictly related to the main plot are not "totally unnecessary".

Yes, I'd always been working under the impression that "Filler" meant "content in an adaptation that wasn't in the original source material."

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If something contributes to worldbuilding in a meaningful way it's not filler. If nothing else, even if you only take it as an infodump, it contributes to Julian's character growth since it shows he's starting to think about history and politics more.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
The biggest difference will be that Reinhard and Kircheis are more sparkly and fabulous, especially in flashback scenes.

Seriously, just wait and see what they end up doing with this:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

The biggest difference will be that Reinhard and Kircheis are more sparkly and fabulous, especially in flashback scenes.

Seriously, just wait and see what they end up doing with this:

Just get Hirohiko Araki to direct it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

To me filler has always been "unnecessary guff that doesn't advance the plot", which those episodes certainly were.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

To me filler has always been "unnecessary guff that doesn't advance the plot", which those episodes certainly were.

nah

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
This is the last reference I expected to ever see in a translated Chinese novel:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
thats cause everyone loves yang wenli, and the author has a deep soft spot for the ideals of democracy and human rights

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I wrote this up over in cspam
gonna read vol2 soonish too

Ostentatious posted:

what is your favorite anime character and if they could vote who would they vote for

Yang Wen-Li

Yang is a space navy officer in his late twenties, who famously saved a bunch of civilians from being slaughtered during a battle and is absurdly skilled at being a space admiral. He is know to be lackadaisical, and not very serious. In a way he is the voice of the anime, easily the most complicated character in the show and the most human. His views on politics are explored in depth in the 100+ episodes of Legend of Galactic Heroes.

A few notes: Job Trunicht is the corrupt leader of Yang's country, Julian is Yang's adoptive son, Reinhard is the other main character of the show and is basically the perfect benevolent competent dictator. The show is fundamentally about exploring the nature of politics, contrasting a supremely competent dictator leading an empire with a corrupt, flawed and disorganized democratic nation. Yang fights for the corrupt democratic nation.

Some quotes from Yang:
“I believe that being ruled by the worst democracy is preferable to being ruled by the best autocracy. That’s why I’m fighting Prince Reinhard von Lohengramm on behalf of Job Trunicht. I think it’s a good principle.”

"The right to violate the rights of the people belong to the people. In other words, when the people gave power to Rudolf von Goldenbaum, or to an incomparably smaller man like Job Trunicht, the responsibility belongs to the people. It belongs to on one else. Thats the important point. The sin of dictatorship is that the people can push off the failures of government onto one man."

“If we don’t plant seeds just because they’ll wither someday, there’s no chance that the grass will grow. Also, we can’t go without eating meals just because we’ll eventually get hungry anyway…Once the roots of republican democracy get pulled out, it’ll be more difficult for them to grow again. Even if it might take several centuries, I want to lighten the burden of the next generation somewhat.”

“The gist of democracy lies in the coexistence of diverse political values.”

"On the other hand, democracy is a roundabout thing. And people who are disenchanted with such roundabout-ness will always say: “Let’s give power to a great politician and have him spearhead revolutionary changes.” I wonder if the masses have always wanted an autocrat. And they might just be getting the ideal autocratic ruler right now. Compared to that brilliant golden idol, democracy is nothing but a faded bronze idol. No, no! Julian, we’re soldiers. And republican democratic structure is often born from the muzzle of guns. But the military, despite engendering democracy, should never boast of its accomplishment. And it’s not an unfair thing! Because the gist of democracy lies in control by the people, who have the power. Democracy institutionalizes the control of the power-holders by law and structure. And the military needs this control the most. They fight for the political structure that fundamentally denies them. The military of a democracy must accept that contradictory structure. The only things the military can demand from its government are a retirement pension and paid leave; that’s about it. In other words, the rights of the workers–they cannot demand for more than that."

“For Kaiser Reinhard, there’s the shortest path to peace and unification, and for us, there’s the long road that leads towards righteous democracy. When both paths cross in the war of bloodshed, if something called God actually exists, I wonder which side He will affirm.”

“People follow people, but not necessarily ideals or institutions. Then I wonder if Julian, in the end, is fighting for me. But that’s not the way it should be. His reason for fighting shouldn’t be loyalty to one individual, but rather to the ideal and institution of democracy.”

“The nation that neglects social inequality, mischievously increases military budgets, and then uses its power internally to suppress the citizens on the pretext of invasion by an external enemy is on the road to extinction.”

I think he would vote Clinton.

Wikkheiser posted:

now do reinhard von lohengramm.

Reinhard von Lohengramm

Reinhard, is the other main character on Legend of Galactic Heroes. He is the only son of a minor impoverished noble who's sister was purchased to be the Emperor's concubine. His major motivations are to save his sister from the Emperor; to this end he starts climbing the rungs becoming a naval officer. He is absolutely insanely competent at everything he does, uncorruptable, basically a mathematical example of "The Perfect Most Excellent Dictator You Could Imagine". He isn't sadistic, evil or anything like that. He doesn't really care about people's suffering, but nor does he go out of his way to cause it. And if he could minimize it through his own efforts he does.

The interactions between Reinhard and Yang and their governments are the show. And, a note, he isn't "The Villain".

"Is democracy such a great thing? Didn’t the Galactic Republic give birth to Rudolf and his Galactic Empire? Wasn’t the one who delivered your beloved nation into my hands your own ruler, chosen by the free will of the people of the Alliance? Democratic rule is a body chosen by its citizens in free will which subsumes the power and spirit of self."

“So long as an organization relies solely on the genius of one individual, such an organization will remain immature.”

"For those who have come to power, wealth and glory not by their own strength and effort, but simply through inheritance, what right do they have to complain? The very existence of such blood-lineage dynasties is disgusting. Power is the property of one generation. It shouldn't be transferred, it should be seized."

"There is great satisfaction in fighting for the sake of gaining power, but it’s joyless to fight for the sake of maintaining it."

"Genes determine everything? What nonsense. Hereditary physical qualities have no effect on people? That's for individuals. Heredity concerns family background, not personal abilities. Those who blindly believe in such a theory are normally guys who are happy with their present conditions. They're the real weaklings. Those who are proud of their ancestors are fellows who've done nothing to be proud of themselves. These are the people I despise most. I look down on them."

"I cannot lose to anyone. People admire and stay loyal to me because I'm undefeated. I'm not supported because of my bloodline."

"You cannot deny the efficiency of government by a strong leadership simply because tyrants do exist."

"Democratic rule is a body chosen by its citizens in free will... which subsumes the power and spirit of self."

"There is only one Reinhard von Lohengramm, and there is only one man whose name will be remembered for killing me. Who wants to be that man?!"

"Indeed, a small act of opposition is unable to solve any problem. The society needs a complete revolution. Such unreasonable occurances must be entirely corrected. And we must not wait for others to correct them. We must carry out the revolution with our own hands."

Reinhard wouldn't bother to vote, he would seize power for himself. But the person he is most akin to is an idealized version of Donald Trump.

Also note, Reinhard is much less 'wordy' than Yang. Yang is always talking to his friends, his superiors, his leaders and his followers; Yang has to convince. Reinhard commands.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Pretty sure the idealized version of Trump would be Rubinsky.

I do agree that Reinhard would seize power for himself, but that would probably involve him voting for himself. His whole rise in the show involved him using and abusing the existing power structure of his nation; in today's America, that would be the government. Well, probably a glorious military career first, an early promotion to flag rank, an equally early retirement, and then moving into politics.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
We're gonna do a group viewing of the first ep of LOGH in like 30-60 minutes or something at http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
please join us! we're the cspam crew and we're okay

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
reinhard would smash in trumps pudgy face with a mailed fist

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i mean, one of reinhard's psychological hangups is the fact that people could accumulate enough power to purchase human lives as property, as what happened to his sister

and donald trump is a child rapist

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Phobophilia posted:

i mean, one of reinhard's psychological hangups is the fact that people could accumulate enough power to purchase human lives as property, as what happened to his sister

and donald trump is a child rapist

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah trump bad
tho anime good

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
trump is like, a villian straight outta anime

absurd hair
absurdly evil, plus sexualy evil
absurdly rich, buildings with his name of it, helicopters planes etc

trump supporters

im seriously hoping for a trump anime at some point

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
looks like the LOGH viewing is at the top of the hour

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I agree with the idea that Trump is most directly comparable to Rubinsky.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Idealized trump. Rubinsky just liked to get down not force a down get.

I agree the reinhard>trump analog does not fit at all. The only thing they share is perhaps a faith in autocracy, but trump is a little weasel and is more truint than reinhard

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a bit of a stretch to imagine Reinhard voting at all, but impossible to imagine him voting for someone he holds in contempt. Unless he's trying to destabilize America in order to seize control of it for himself, of course!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

DamnGlitch posted:

Idealized trump. Rubinsky just liked to get down not force a down get.

I agree the reinhard>trump analog does not fit at all. The only thing they share is perhaps a faith in autocracy, but trump is a little weasel and is more truint than reinhard

And Trunicht was a slimy politician who knew how to play a game. It'd be a disservice to compare him to Trump, even an idealized Trump. Trump is more like Braunschweig and Littenheim. Overinflated ego and baseless overconfidence.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Argas posted:

Braunschweig

yes! a good comparison

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Rewatching this and man, it's kind of annoying how (BIG SPOILER!) much the narrator obviously leads into Yang's death. I mean cmon! Should have been more subtle with it! Wonder if the books were the same in that regard.

Also I don't know how much time actually passes between the two moments, but it tickles me seeing Reinhardt with short hair and then in what seems like only 2 months grow a lot longer suddenly.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Baloogan posted:

I wrote this up over in cspam

Very nice. What about Lebello?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arbite posted:

Very nice. What about Lebello?

He's the GOP except he never turned into a corn cob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The tone is meant to be like a history show. So it assumes people already know the really big events.