Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GlitchThief posted:

I can hardly believe that's a real article.

My children are acting like children! :qq:

*Literally Plato complaining about kids these days*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

*Literally Plato complaining about kids these days*

Yeah that article was peak KIDS THESE DAYS but most of the comments were pretty good. There's a guy I know that takes any opportunity to complain about how Millennials are all entitled, when he was entering the work force everyone knew their place and worked hard to get ahead and didn't want everything handed to them. I really want to just tell him he's not old enough to have forgotten his generation grew up in what old people at the time called the Me Decade but it isn't worth it since saying that kids these days aren't lazy is somehow implying that other generations aren't special and insults them. A lot of people are way too young to have forgotten what it's like to be under 30.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 19, 2016

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Geokinesis posted:

Opinion piece in Marie Claire about masculinity. Why the modern man is having an identity crisis.

:psyduck: So Marie Claire is taking op-eds from Return of Kings now?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

Opinion piece in Marie Claire about masculinity. Why the modern man is having an identity crisis.

So very close to the idea that Patriarchy is bad for everyone, and yet, so far...

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

I'd love to get married, you know that. But just look at the size of my testicles, it would never work.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I yearn for the days that I see portrayed in a fictional TV show, am still on the fence about women having "agency", and can think of nothing but violent non-consensual rutting throughout the entire workday. So yeah, I guess this is a pretty tough time to be a dude. *sigh*

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

Trapped in bodies barely changed since caveman days, we’re living through the most absurd and unchartered time to be a man – and that’s not just a ‘man’ problem, it’s everyone’s problem.

Is this supposed to be a threat? It sounds like the kind of thing I'd find in some school shooter's manifesto.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GlitchThief posted:

Is this supposed to be a threat? It sounds like the kind of thing I'd find in some school shooter's manifesto.

I think he's just trying to say that everyone should care about his issues, not just men. Still dumb though.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Women are materially mistreated as a group in several ways, but on the other hand I can't tell my coworker she's got nice cans without getting HR on my case. So, we're really in the same boat here.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I figured some goons in academia would appreciate this one.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/05/the_great_critical_thinking_dodge.html
The Great Critical Thinking Dodge

quote:

On an open house day at a private school in the area I once heard a teacher describe the course she taught as "Math With Numbers". Huh? It would have been a couple of minutes of real fun getting her to explain how you could do math without numbers but I didn’t have the energy for it. Progressives, especially Progressive educators (which most are) are blatherskites. They specialize in terms like "ability status" (unwarranted pride in getting a good mark) or confusing labels like "Sociolinguistics" (hint: another term for the same thing is "communicative competence".) They bang on and on about a fourth grader’s “portfolio” and write a 75,000-word thesis for their doctorate on the spacing of monkey bars.

There’s nothing, I’ve often reflected, that you’re going to learn from the way these people think in any language you’re going to understand and so, I don’t chat them up.

But I’ve always allowed that there was hope in their preoccupation with "critical thinking". Because while developing a child’s “critical thinking” skills always seemed to be the excuse for some absurdity in education I had always taken the term to mean an intellectual proficiency which helps one sift through available evidence until arriving at the truth of some matter.

But then I read an article in the Guardian online by Bobby Scott a black U.S. Congressman titled: “America's Schools Are Still Segregated by Race and Class.That Has To End”.

Scott’s argument is the really old and really weird one many Conservatives are familiar with, i.e.; that the government should do something about the fact that in some mostly black districts and/or neighborhoods there weren’t enough white students to go around. Implying of course, that black students cannot excel in school work without enough Whites faces in the classroom.

Silly.

But instead of laughing and moving on I found myself reading and rereading the following paragraph:

Thanks in large part to federal intervention in the decades following Brown, students experienced indisputable academic and social benefits inherent to racially and socioeconomically diverse learning environments. A recent report by the Century Foundation affirms that learning in diverse environments improves critical thinking and problem solving. But as time marched on, deliberate government action and meaningful federal oversight fell by the wayside in many communities.

Because the second sentence contained the term I had never heard a politician use before -- critical thinking. More than just that he was using the term as a substitute for what he should have been saying if he had any argument at all, i.e. that math scores improved, reading comprehension took a tick up, or that students had a better grasp of history or a foreign language with whites in the classroom. Some concrete measure of improvement.

Which got me thinking -- critically. Just what was "critical thinking"?

So I decided to do some research and found I had been flummoxed as Hercule Poirot would say, “by the simple cunning of vacant minds.” Critical thinking has nothing whatsoever to do with intellectual proficiency. Instead it’s the left’s means by which they shut out and shout down a procedure which should be both taught and encouraged in the young: the scientific method.

To recap: the scientific method is the process by which knowledge advances. One develops a hypothesis and then endeavors to prove it by carefully constructing an experiment which may be replicated by others, carries it out and tests the result. (I’m simplifying here.) For example, I posit that a pot of water when put over a flame will warm up. And so I put water in a pot, put it over the flame, and measure the change, if any, in temperature. Temperature goes up and voila -- if others get the same result my hypothesis is proved (again I’m simplifying).

But critical thinking asks something different of you. It asks if you want the temperature of the water in the pot to go up.

Think I’m kidding? Google it.

No explanation I could find focused on finding the truth and all agree the purpose of critical thinking is rather, for you to decide what to believe or do. One explanation, maybe the clearest, suggests that critical thinking is composed of five elements:

1. Suspending judgment to check the validity of a proposition or action

2. Taking into consideration multiple perspectives

3. Examining implications and consequences of a belief or action

4. Using reason and evidence to resolve disagreements

5. Re-evaluating a point of view in light of new information

Nothing about experiments or objective tests, just conflict resolution, taking other’s opinions into account and of course “examining [the] implications and consequences of a belief or action.

Let’s try a real world example. Since Lyndon B. Johnson’s War On Poverty began in the 1960s we have roughly spent an amount equal the national debt (20 trillion) on eliminating poverty and have not done so, indeed by some measures it’s gotten worse.

The scientific method would shut the thing down because the experiment has failed.

On the other hand, the application of critical thinking would provoke this reaction to the problem:

Don’t do anything rash. (suspend judgement) Other people have other opinions about whether or not it has failed. (Take into consideration multiple perspectives) Think about what happens to the people now getting checks and shouldn’t they have a voice in whether or not to shut the system down? (Examining implications and consequences of a belief or action) Isn’t it reasonable to assume that if you give people money that they must not be poor any longer. (Using reason and evidence to resolve disagreements) Maybe there’s some different way in which we can give this money away? (Re-evaluating a point of view in light of new information)

And so you’ll never shut down the system, as the scientific method tells you you should. Because no human being will ever clearly and conclusively resolve issues like these.

So there you have the answer to both the question of what critical thinking really is and why it’s so dear to the left-wing liberal heart. Because if that is the way people are taught to think they’ll never develop any understanding that left-wing policies are both moral and economic disasters.

Final point. The scientific method is the engine of Western progress these last three hundred years or so. If Western thought had been organized around the lines defined by the critical thinking now being taught our children, we’d still have horses pulling plows and would have to go to sleep when the sun went down, we’d still be dying of diseases long since conquered, and we certainly never would have landed on the moon.

And your children, my friends, belong on the moon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

quote:

"On an open house day at a private school in the area I once heard a teacher describe the course she taught as "Math With Numbers". Huh? It would have been a couple of minutes of real fun getting her to explain how you could do math without numbers but I didn’t have the energy for it."
Or alternatively a very short one starting with the word "Algebra".

quote:

"Scott’s argument is the really old and really weird one many Conservatives are familiar with, i.e.; that the government should do something about the fact that in some mostly black districts and/or neighborhoods there weren’t enough white students to go around. Implying of course, that black students cannot excel in school work without enough Whites faces in the classroom."
Or possibly that schools are a microcosm of society at large because housing remains heavily segregated which one might regard as a Bad Thing, especially when race continues to correspond strongly with poverty and poverty with academic performance.

quote:

"So I decided to do some research and found I had been flummoxed as Hercule Poirot would say, “by the simple cunning of vacant minds.” Critical thinking has nothing whatsoever to do with intellectual proficiency. Instead it’s the left’s means by which they shut out and shout down a procedure which should be both taught and encouraged in the young: the scientific method."
Science: Neither critical nor involving thought.

quote:

"1. Suspending judgment to check the validity of a proposition or action
2. Taking into consideration multiple perspectives
3. Examining implications and consequences of a belief or action
4. Using reason and evidence to resolve disagreements
5. Re-evaluating a point of view in light of new information

Nothing about experiments or objective tests, just conflict resolution, taking other’s opinions into account and of course “examining [the] implications and consequences of a belief or action."
So, you would presumably not characterise the rudimentary scientific method as:

1. Reserving judgement and developing a hypothesis.
2. Collecting as much data as you can to test the hypothesis.
3. Determining what material effects you would expect to see if your hypothesis was true.
4. Using the evidence you collected and your brain to determine whether or not the data you collected correlates with your expected pattern.
5. Deciding whether or not your hypothesis is correct as a result of the information you now possess.

quote:

Let’s try a real world example. Since Lyndon B. Johnson’s War On Poverty began in the 1960s we have roughly spent an amount equal the national debt (20 trillion) on eliminating poverty and have not done so, indeed by some measures it’s gotten worse.

The scientific method would shut the thing down because the experiment has failed.

On the other hand, the application of critical thinking would provoke this reaction to the problem:

Don’t do anything rash. (suspend judgement) Other people have other opinions about whether or not it has failed. (Take into consideration multiple perspectives) Think about what happens to the people now getting checks and shouldn’t they have a voice in whether or not to shut the system down? (Examining implications and consequences of a belief or action) Isn’t it reasonable to assume that if you give people money that they must not be poor any longer. (Using reason and evidence to resolve disagreements) Maybe there’s some different way in which we can give this money away? (Re-evaluating a point of view in light of new information)

And so you’ll never shut down the system, as the scientific method tells you you should. Because no human being will ever clearly and conclusively resolve issues like these.
OK so that's a no you definitely wouldn't characterise the scientific method that way, you would characterise it as shouting "NO YOUR HYPOTHESIS IS WRONG STOP ARGUING" as loudly as you can.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this isn't ALL terrible, but overall it's pretty bad

quote:

Put Tubman on bill, but don't berate Jackson
By Harold Jackson

I could be related to Andrew Jackson; that is if any of his relatives owned slaves in Alabama who might have been among my ancestors. But that’s not why I feel the need to defend “Old Hickory” in the wake of an onslaught of derisive commentary offered by proponents of a proposal to put a woman’s image on a higher denomination of U.S. currency.

Before going any further, let me assure you that I agree that a woman should be so honored. My personal preference would be abolitionist Harriet Tubman. However, I take exception to attacks on Jackson by those who believe his image on the $20 bill is the most dispensable. One proposal is to replace Alexander Hamilton’s image on the $10 bill. But some critics say that denomination is too low, and that Hamilton, the nation’s first treasurer, should be on its money.

Many of these bigger-bill seekers also suggest that Jackson never should have been on the $20 bill in the first place. Some note that Jackson wasn’t a proponent of paper money. Others point out that, as president, Jackson authorized the forced removal of Native Americans from their homelands. But Jackson was hardly alone in believing gold and silver should be our young country’s legal tender; some people still believe that today. Nor was Jackson the only president guilty of mistreatment of Native Americans; but if that should disqualify a person from having his image on currency, what about the slaveholders on our money?

The point is every person whose face is on a denomination of U.S. currency had faults that could be used to denigrate him. George Washington owned slaves while he was president. Benjamin Franklin’s affairs as ambassador to France weren’t limited to the political variety. Thomas Jefferson committed adultery with a slave. Hamilton was a hothead who got himself killed in a duel with Vice President Aaron Burr. Abraham Lincoln didn’t want to free the slaves when he was elected president. Ulysses Grant’s disinterest in the South after the Civil War opened the door to lynching and other racial intimidation.

A good case could be made for a woman to replace any of these men on their respective bills. But that doesn’t mean they never deserved to be on our money. Each was chosen for good reason. So was Jackson. What he did to preserve the Union 30 years prior to Lincoln’s presidency should never be forgotten, but the vastness of the Civil War has unfortunately relegated it to a footnote.

In 1832, Vice President John C. Calhoun argued vehemently in support of a law passed by his home state, South Carolina (yes, South Carolina again), which said it had a constitutional right to “nullify” any congressional act it didn’t like. The law included a provision for South Carolina to secede from the Union if it didn’t get its way. Jackson, who as a general won the Battle of New Orleans to culminate the War of 1812, fought the secessionists with brilliant rhetoric. In summation, he noted that while America was an amalgamation of many states, it was one people with one government.

Knowing the limitations of a good argument, Jackson then got Congress to pass the Force Act, which gave the president authority to employ state militia and federal troops to crush any rebellion. South Carolina subsequently backed down and repealed its nullification law. That battle was over tariffs, but Jackson predicted that the looming fight over slavery would be the true test of the Union’s strength.

Jackson overcame childhood poverty; at age 13, he fought in the Revolutionary War; and in the second British war, he became a military hero. A better president than most, Jackson was a populist credited with opening the White House to common folk, and, with Jefferson, is considered one of the founders of the Democratic Party. If Jackson loses his place on the $20 bill, so be it; but let no one say he never deserved to be on it.

Harold Jackson is editorial page editor for The Inquirer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean you could try knocking all the slavers off the currency and replace them all with better people. That'd be cool.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Homework Explainer posted:

quote:

A good case could be made for a woman to replace any of these men on their respective bills. But that doesn’t mean they never deserved to be on our money. Each was chosen for good reason. So was Jackson. 

The best part about this part here is the Treasury Department literally has no idea why Jackson replaced Grover Cleveland (which by the way, something good to throw in their faces is that Jackson himself was a replacement figure on the $20), but there's a good chance it was retributive from them because he loathed the idea of paper money and a national bank so much. Nothing at all to do with his "legacy".

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I like how the article didn't even mention his greatest achievement (at least in modern eyes) of expanding the electorate.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Here have some raging authoritarianism from MN's single worst legislator.

http://www.startribune.com/readers-...auer/382160361/

quote:

Lately, some advocacy groups have been asking what we can do to “reduce the use of force by police.” Well …

1) Don’t be a thug and lead a life of crime so that you come into frequent contact with police.

2) Don’t rob people, don’t use or sell drugs, and don’t beat up your significant other.

3) Don’t hang out on the street after 2 a.m. Go home.

4) Don’t make furtive movements or keep your hands in your pockets if told to take them out.

5) Don’t flap your jaws when the police arrive. Don’t disobey the requests of the police at the time. If you think you are wrongfully treated, make the complaint later.

6) Don’t use the excuse of a lack of a job or education for why you assault, rob or kill.

I was born and raised on a farm, dirt-poor, with eight other kids. My grandpa served time in Stillwater State Prison. My dad only made it through eighth grade, and none of us nine kids has ever received a college degree. We didn’t use that as an excuse to turn to crime.

Here endeth the lesson. No charge.

State Rep. Tony Cornish, R-Vernon Center

The writer is chair of the Minnesota House Public Safety and Crime Prevention Committee.

I guess this guy wants to criminalize working the night shift.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

The writer is chair of the Minnesota House Public Safety and Crime Prevention Committee.

:stare: yikes

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

MaxxBot posted:

Here have some raging authoritarianism from MN's single worst legislator.

http://www.startribune.com/readers-...auer/382160361/

I guess this guy wants to criminalize working the night shift.

Curfews are now enforced by death penalty in Minnesota. I'm not sure if I find that more or less horrifying than the fact that he smugly refuses to acknowledge the link between fewer opportunities/lack of education, and turning to crime.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Well I wrote a response letter to the paper, decent chance they'll publish it since no one else seems to ever write them.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

You're telling me, this chucklefuck has made it his sole purpose in life to single-handed block any sort of criminal justice reform in MN. At least the dude is old and hopefully won't be around for a long time, but that's being too optimistic.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Say what you will about Minnesota, but it's not Wisconsin.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

No flag pin.

Hmmmm.

*writes something in clipboard*

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Does Minnesota not have any laws against fashion crimes?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

If someone wrote a movie about criminal justice reform in Minnesota and this guy was the antagonist, critics would lambaste the film for making him look like a cartoon character.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's always "funny" when people pull the "just do exactly what they say and complain later" bullshit. Regardless of the obvious issue that often doing exactly what you are told results in beatings or death anyway, in a country where police can murder children in broad daylight and get away with it, are people concerned with police abuse supposed to think that complaining isn't going to result in nothing but more police abuse?

I mean I know that that shitbird isn't actually giving advice to people and really dog-whistling to police supporters and racists in general to signal that he "gets it" and is totally down with state oppression of undesirables but it's still irritating in that specific way as well.

Ratoslov posted:

If someone wrote a movie about criminal justice reform in Minnesota and this guy was the antagonist, critics would lambaste the film for making him look like a cartoon character.

Yeah he looks exactly like the stereotypical military/spy general from a movie that you KNOW is going to actually have been bad all along and then it turns out yeah he was evil the entire time.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 9, 2016

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

quote:

A far better writer than I (Charles Dickens) once claimed, through a certain Mr Bumble, that the law was an rear end and recently I am inclined to agree.

I am not sure when the public’s respect for law and order started to wane but I am tempted to blame the demise on the humble sandal.

Growing up, I didn’t dare mess with my father, the local bobby or my headmaster, but a male teacher wearing a sandal, that was a very different kettle of fish with lentils.

My first experience of this strappy footed phenomenon occurred when I was about eight or nine and from that moment on, my temple of respect/fear, that had been painstakingly built up over the years, began to crumble. His dress and his “right on” attitude towards “the kids,” gave us the green light to abuse his good nature and exploit his worthy intentions; amidst the torrent of flying missiles and projectiles that awaited him every lesson, we knew that he cared more about our right to express ourselves, than he did about his own safety.

The same is true in today’s society, the sandal is the calling card of the do-gooder, people who mean well, but ultimately ruin everything with their good intentions.

Before the “happy clappy” brigade came along, freed our minds and reminded us about our various human rights and what benefits we were entitled to, respect for the law of the land was almost absolute.

The odd “bad un” would rob a train or steal a painting or two, but the majority stayed on the straight and narrow and if you didn’t, you knew the consequences.

Fast forward thirty years and many of the men in sandals are now politicians, with wide smiles and fake promises. Others have started organisations with strange acronyms, and regularly appear on our TV screens, to preach their message of tolerance and equality for all.
Which is a fine mantra to promote unless of course you are a criminal.

You can call me old fashioned if you like, but in my mind, as soon as you step over the line you have chosen to give up your rights and there should be no tolerance.

Unfortunately, the “sandalistas” have infiltrated society to such an extent that you would have to steal every car in your street, rob the whole of Queensgate and repeatedly beat the top “rozzer” in Cambridgeshire, with Timmy Mallet’s hammer, just to get a bit of “bird.”
Even then you would be out in six months and free to start the cycle all over again.

People are not worried about the consequences of their actions because in their mind they are not worth worrying about.

Why else does half of Cambridgeshire think it’s acceptable to drive about on the county’s roads, whilst chatting on their mobile phones? With police cutbacks you have more chance of seeing Lord Lucan riding Shergar, than you have of seeing a police car on the A14.
We have people attacking traffic wardens and breaking their legs, all because of a parking ticket; that warden will have to live with that for the rest of his life, his attacker will be free to attack somebody else in just nine months.

The lorry driver, who killed police officer, Sharon Garrett, whilst he was checking his phone, will be out in three years; her family have been handed a life sentence.

Danny Warby from King’s Lynn, had a list of driving convictions as long as your arm and if the law had been stronger, he would have been taken off the road and two children might still have a mummy.

It seems to me that we need far fewer rights and a lot more consequences, the pendulum has swung way too far. The sandal has a lot to answer for.

Also look at this awful loving picture of the guy that accompanies his stuff:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Children are best seen and heard while screaming in agony while being beaten with canes.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Geokinesis posted:

I liek how the guy saw a poster for a Dreamworks kids' movie and thought "That's the expression I'll pull for my byline that'll get me taken seriously as a journalist."

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

TomViolence posted:

I liek how the guy saw a poster for a Dreamworks kids' movie and thought "That's the expression I'll pull for my byline that'll get me taken seriously as a journalist."

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

I don't care what anyone says most of that is not English. Brits have the worst lingo holy poo poo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Jason"I honestly think Alec Baldwin's character in Glengarry Glen Ross is supposed to be a role model" Pargin weighs in on the Trump phenomena and pretends his take is unique http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I don't care what anyone says most of that is not English. Brits have the worst lingo holy poo poo.

It's old people lingo. Nobody in Britain who isn't exclusively employed writing opinion columns for local newspapers and mumbling about foreigners talks like that.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I always thought that the point of being a parent was hoping to make life better/easier for your children? When did it become "RAAAAAAR YOUNG PEOPLE NEED TO WALK 45 MILES TO GO TO SCHOOL TO LEARN HOW TO BE A REAL HUMAN BEING RAAARGLE WHY ISN'T EVERYONE AS MISERABLE AS I WAS!?"

It reminds me of that comic of a father forcing his kid to like NES games, 80's movies and other stupid pop culture bullshit in a desperate attempt to relive his childhood.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Jason"I honestly think Alec Baldwin's character in Glengarry Glen Ross is supposed to be a role model" Pargin weighs in on the Trump phenomena and pretends his take is unique http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/

Did you actually read the whole thing?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

Did you actually read the whole thing?

Yeah there are about four books that came out in the last month that make the same argument but better and without the weird tone where it's like he's a new-jersey truck driver who thinks he caught you looking at his girlfriend.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/politics/this-sort-of-complaint-is-pernicious-1-7640612

quote:

Is political correctness and liberal orthodoxy infecting every aspect of government and society, at the expense of common sense? Just asking.

As someone who supported the new role of Police and Crime Commissioner several years ago, it is dispiriting to see the recent events reported in the PT concerning the current PCC.

This week, a collection of faceless bureaucrats (The PCC “Complaints Panel”) took it upon themselves to try to humiliate the elected Conservative Police Crime Commissioner Jason Ablewhite, over Facebook comments he made about travellers on his personal – yes personal - Facebook page no less than seven years ago. Well, I say faceless – one of the Complaints Committee members was Cllr Ed Murphy, defeated Labour candidate for PCC in 2012. Mr Ablewhite has been “ordered” to apologise (again) and “engage with members of the traveller community.”

And on what basis? The complainants – probably publicly funded Leftist layabout grievance merchants – hide under the cloak of anonymity whilst Mr Ablewhite is forced to prostrate himself before the great and the good, whose “investigation” has used up valuable time and money better deployed supporting our local police in tackling crime and criminals.

The complaint – such as it was - was already dismissed as too frivolous for the attentions of the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

The Panel would have been wise to have followed suit and handed out some firm and private advice but no, they had to exercise their share of “power” over a man with a strong mandate – having been elected by 82,000 local people earlier this year – because they could. The remarks were made long before he assumed office and admittedly were a bit silly and ill judged (banter is the generic term) and I wouldn’t have put them on my Facebook page but isn’t this a huge overreaction?

Apologies are important when we’ve made mistakes of course. But they shouldn’t be exclusive to public officials.

I wonder when we’ll see an apology from the minority of travellers who every summer disrupt the lives of local businesses and local residents in Peterborough? For violence, fly tipping, coercion, squatting, theft and criminal damage? Will we see an apology for council inaction and the delays in police response times in addressing these matters? I think we know the answer.

These kind of complaints are pernicious and insidious in that they attempt to destroy free speech and an honest exchange of views by delegitimising the sincere and justified complaints of the settled community, notwithstanding the foolish nature of this particular exchange. What they do is breed resentment and anger and a feeling of “one rule for them and another for us” which is bad for community relations.

I for one won’t accept such censorship and politically correct publicly funded nonsense. Were I Jason Ablewhite, I’d engage robustly with the Panel and tell them what they can do with their apology

I'm glad that whoever wrote this tripe is just some opinion writer and not in any position of pow-

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

british MP is not a meaningful position of power. see Brexit for example

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Geokinesis posted:

The one person I think of whenever I think chronic sandal wearer is Jesus. Who advocated for a bunch of the stuff he opposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't know that Jack Nicholson was an MP.

• Locked thread