Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

So I just watched Godzilla 1984, and I liked it a lot. I see a lot of hate for the movie, and I'm wondering if most people are actually referring to Godzilla 1985, the American version?

I think that version should still be preserved because it's such a fantastic artifact of the Cold War era. The icing is having more Raymond Burr who is always fantastic.

But yeah, it was hated mainly because it added a whole American storyline and was extremely Anti-Russian. They basically hijacked a Godzilla film to put out a Cold War propaganda movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Those Media Blasters releases were amazing, glad I got hold of that three pack with Varan, The Mysterians and Matango before the rights ran out. Varan's a pretty lousy movie by the way, but it's worth watching just for the Ifukube score.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Criterion really needs to get on some Eclipse sets that do for Toho/Honda what #37 did for Shochiku.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Criterion really needs to get on some Eclipse sets that do for Toho/Honda what #37 did for Shochiku.

What they need to do is clean up and re-release Half Human, which is really good, at least the cut I've seen.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bimmi posted:

Godzilla vs. Dr. Pepper

Don't forget Snickers and Doritos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl_Z-Iwdgu4

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Finally saw this and loved every single bit of it, from the original music (LOVED that they took from King Kong vs. Godzilla which is my fave version) but sound effects and even his roar is just rips from the old movies.

I understand that there was some funny parts (the noodles, the American scientists and the guy screaming eureka for a small dose) but one guy in front of me just kept laughing at anything -- it really took me out of things. Like even during the serious stuff where theres death and destruction - this guy is just whooping it up. Also, for the love of god - deodorant -- please -- shower too. It was loving terrible. Smelly was a different guy too.

Before going in I wasn't 100% sold on the form and I am actually kinda happy he doesn't transform back into the classic look. It's loving horrifying.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 25, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Been catching up on the thread after seeing the film on the 24th. Excellent movie, I love how weird it was while still feeling like a traditional Godzilla film.
I didn't see this posted upthread, here's Shin's gross tail.

Choco1980 posted:

I dunno, the New Years Eve spot they did with only like a minute to midnight where they had Zilla stop the ball dropping and fling it at the times square gatherers, was pretty great debut timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIUAC03YMlA

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Holy poo poo, I didn't even know he had that. I thought the smaller creatures frozen after budding off of his tail like Rodin's Gates of Hell at the end of the movie was metal enough already.

Everything I find out about this Godzilla makes it more and more of my favorite.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The only thing that keeps Shin from being my favorite take on Godzilla is that I miss that little bit of relatability even his most villainous incarnations have had. In '54 there's a real sense of tragedy as he dies, in this one it's just "oh thank loving God."

Not even a criticism, really, it works perfectly for the story being told and was a much-needed spin on the character. I'm not sure they should try to follow it up in the same vein, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://youtu.be/a0uQnWAmf-k

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Since this seems to also act as a general-use Godzilla thread and it's in the same cinematic universe as the Legendary series, HERE'S KONG!

https://twitter.com/kongskullisland/status/796763662522273792

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really like that it looks closer to the original Kong. That's encouraging

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it really makes Jackson's being Just A Gorilla feel really weird in retrospect.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Can't wait to see it in action.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Can't watch the video right now, but he has really dead eyes in that pic.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Something about that image looks really off to me but I can't put my finger on it

EDIT: The face looks like it's a 3D image in front of a 2D background.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Since this seems to also act as a general-use Godzilla thread and it's in the same cinematic universe as the Legendary series, HERE'S KONG!

https://twitter.com/kongskullisland/status/796763662522273792

how do you know its in the same universe as godzilla, and does he get electrical powers in the inevitable confrontation again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Because they already announced Godzilla vs Kong for 2020, and both movies feature the government agency Monarch. They've been pretty explicit about them being related series.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ideally Mothra plays the part of Nick Fury in this cinematic universe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah are actually going to be in Godzilla 2 in 2019!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ideally Mothra plays the part of Nick Fury in this cinematic universe.

Monarchs are butterflies, not moths.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope they don't blow their load on Ghidorah too soon- dude is a big enough threat that he could be what brings Kong and Godzilla together

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I really want Hedorah to come back in another Godzilla movie. Maybe Shin Godzilla 2

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah are actually going to be in Godzilla 2 in 2019!

yes!!!! my girl mothra coming at you

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
My understanding was it's not a definite that Mothra et. al. show up in Godzilla 2, but that Legendary simply got the permission to use those characters. And gently caress them for not getting Gigan, because Gigan deserves better movies than he got.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zilla for Godzilla 3.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dylazodelan posted:

My understanding was it's not a definite that Mothra et. al. show up in Godzilla 2, but that Legendary simply got the permission to use those characters. And gently caress them for not getting Gigan, because Gigan deserves better movies than he got.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
The intergalactic space rooster loving rules.

Megalon and Gigan's friendship is really fun. Also, that Ghidorah probably doesn't like him, but gently caress, he just can't stand by and watch Big G whoop his rear end. Gigan's like his well meaning loser cousin.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dylazodelan posted:

no mothra no sale

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I like to imagine that Gigan and Megalon are BFFs and hang out all the time. They bond over their lack of hands and their shared love of smashing things.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like to imagine that Gigan and Megalon are BFFs and hang out all the time. They bond over their lack of hands and their shared love of smashing things.

Desperately trying to play Wii together without launching a controller through Ghidorah's flatscreen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The success of Power Rangers, Pacific Rim 2, and the newly announced Voltron 2 will determine if we get Jet Jaguar in Godzilla 3.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Glamorama26 posted:

The intergalactic space rooster loving rules.

Megalon and Gigan's friendship is really fun. Also, that Ghidorah probably doesn't like him, but gently caress, he just can't stand by and watch Big G whoop his rear end. Gigan's like his well meaning loser cousin.

Now I'm imagining them as polack dock workers in Baltimore.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

Because they already announced Godzilla vs Kong for 2020, and both movies feature the government agency Monarch. They've been pretty explicit about them being related series.

There was also a poster they put out that showed some poo poo if you put a black light on it. In particular, some prose about a monster from Sumerian mythology called Humbaba. Check out his Wiki, could be one crazy movie monster.

http://moviepilot.com/p/new-kong-skull-island-poster-is-hiding-some-godzilla-sized-secrets/4121811

In other news, I feel so stupid for missing something. Obviously Shin Godzilla took lots of cues from the Fukushima disaster. But I was watching an episode about it on Engineering Disasters today and totally forgot that one of the ways they cooled the reactors was to pump water in using super long-armed concrete pumps. Same exact ones used to pump the coagulant into SG. Derp.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

There was also a poster they put out that showed some poo poo if you put a black light on it. In particular, some prose about a monster from Sumerian mythology called Humbaba. Check out his Wiki, could be one crazy movie monster.

http://moviepilot.com/p/new-kong-skull-island-poster-is-hiding-some-godzilla-sized-secrets/4121811

i dunno. Reading the text I think the description alludes to Godzilla: "His mouth is fire; his roar the floodwater; his breath is death. Enlil made him guardian of the Cedar Forest, To frighten off the mortal who would venture there. BUT WHO WOULD VENTURE THERE?"

I think the text is to point to Godzilla as a nature spirit / guardian as Humbaba was, rather than literally saying a Humbaba character is going to be walking around.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Now I'm imagining them as polack dock workers in Baltimore.

I always saw Gigan as a skittish Woody Allen type. Megalon is like his friend he's known since grade school who turned into said dock worker.

But they're still buds. Not everyday buds, but they still got each other's back. Hence why Gigan runs into help and nearly gets killed by Jet Jaguar.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

The success of Power Rangers, Pacific Rim 2, and the newly announced Voltron 2 will determine if we get Jet Jaguar in Godzilla 3.

The only acceptable use of Jet Jaguar is if they recreate his introduction on Godzilla: Rulers of Earth.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Dylazodelan posted:

because Gigan deserves better movies than he got.

Incorrect, Gigan got the movies he deserved because he's a bitch. He almost got beat by the earth's military in the showa movies and then in Final Wars he got beaten not once but twice by a butterfly. He's the only monster in that movie to get a rematch and he loses twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only acceptable use of Jet Jaguar is if they recreate his introduction on Godzilla: Rulers of Earth.

He has to be played by Joel Hodgson.