Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I feel like it should be super easy to make a pick up and play wrestling video game if they didn't have this simulation boner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Optimist with doubt posted:

I feel like it should be super easy to make a pick up and play wrestling video game if they didn't have this simulation boner.

WWE all Stars was p much this and it was not bad for a first effort. Then nothing ever came for a followup.

Today WWE Immortals is your best bet in those regards, but man it'd be something if they just let the Netherealm crew run wild with those assets. A shame they are wasting their time with that fake comic book stuff

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The refs moving around like bumbling loving retards when you make a cover almost makes me hate 2K17 all by itself

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Anyone have any TEW16 scenarios to recommend?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The refs moving around like bumbling loving retards when you make a cover almost makes me hate 2K17 all by itself
That's a feature for people who want to simulate indie shows

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's also little details I like. I won a match online as Trish because the other player was using Sasha, and if you escape the Bank Statement, it gets reversed into a cradle. Or the amount of new move animations that are there for basically one person (half of Gable and Nakamura's movesets).

Takuan
May 6, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Playing as JCP in The Golden Age mod is some of the most fun I've had playing TEW, and I didn't even watch wrestling during that era.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So uh in 2k17, what exactly is the difference between an extreme rules match and a no holds barred match?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats the difference irl?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats the difference irl?

In no holds barred they spend a lot of time outside the ring and somebody will grab the rope but the referee won't break the submission.
In extreme rules they will use a trash can or kendo stick, probably.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

So uh in 2k17, what exactly is the difference between an extreme rules match and a no holds barred match?
I think the only difference is that in Extreme Rules you get a selection of foreign objects from under the ring. Also I'm not sure if they still have this feature but the fans would hold out weapons for you to take / prompt special beat downs with. Like the only way to Jeff Jarrett someone was to get a guitar from the fans.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think the only difference is that in Extreme Rules you get a selection of foreign objects from under the ring. Also I'm not sure if they still have this feature but the fans would hold out weapons for you to take / prompt special beat downs with. Like the only way to Jeff Jarrett someone was to get a guitar from the fans.

Sadly, crowd participation has been gone for years now.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

triplexpac posted:

War of the Worlds is my favorite one so far. You can grab Austin as ECW, which is hella fun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, I got stuck in a quagmire of NXT in my first stab at Career, so second go around I'm using a CC Jay Lethal (the Lethal Injection is actually in the game, which I'm stunned by) and managed to skip right to the main roster, it seems like the only criteria is really 'beat Joe'.

Edit: Observation: It's inexcusable how badly Enzo's spiel comes off in-game considering the NAO, R-Truth and Carmella's all sound pretty much as they do/did IRL. (Granted, in 'mella's case, this is because she did hers to silence most of the time anyway, but Truth's is excellent sounding)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 24, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

OK, I got stuck in a quagmire of NXT in my first stab at Career, so second go around I'm using a CC Jay Lethal (the Lethal Injection is actually in the game, which I'm stunned by) and managed to skip right to the main roster, it seems like the only criteria is really 'beat Joe'.

Edit: Observation: It's inexcusable how badly Enzo's spiel comes off in-game considering the NAO, R-Truth and Carmella's all sound pretty much as they do/did IRL. (Granted, in 'mella's case, this is because she did hers to silence most of the time anyway, but Truth's is excellent sounding)

The Lethal Injection's been in the game for several years now (at least on the PS3). The Lethal Combination is sort of there. They have it doing the back breaker, except instead of going into a downward spiral, they have it going into a Russian Leg Sweep.

I was more disappointing in making a original CAW yesterday, only to find out that they don't have the name "Dick" as one of the call names.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

triplexpac posted:

The Ruthless Aggression 2004 mod is alright if you want to try turning TNA into a modern day WCW (had to convert it from TEW 2013 through the in-game thing). If you're a smaller promotion, it's very possible to get steamrolled though. I kind of like having new real world workers slowly debut in the game world from now until 2014/2015 and not the auto-generated ones.

I'm slowly biding my time, buying out promotions and stealing important WWE talent where I can. I had to throw everything at Christian that Dixie would let me get away with. 21.3k per month, a large signing bonus, 10% bonus per event, 5 year contract, no non-compete contract, and nothing lower than Upper Midcarder status. He now helps anchor my main angles and matches and gives me more options to pull B and B+ shows each week.

I'm able to turn a profit and am running a regional development farm to stack my roster once I'm in position to switch to national size.

But that being said, every time I need a PPA expire so the worker leaves my roster, Dixie jumps in and renews them for like 2 years. It's really annoying.

Lazer fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 27, 2016

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

Lazer posted:

The Ruthless Aggression 2004 mod is alright if you want to try turning TNA into a modern day WCW (had to convert it from TEW 2013 through the in-game thing). If you're a smaller promotion, it's very possible to get steamrolled though. I kind of like having new real world workers slowly debut in the game world from now until 2014/2015 and not the auto-generated ones.

I'm slowly biding my time, buying out promotions and stealing important WWE talent where I can. I had to throw everything at Christian that Dixie would let me get away with. 21.3k per month, a large signing bonus, 10% bonus per event, 5 year contract, no non-compete contract, and nothing lower than Upper Midcarder status. He now helps anchor my main angles and matches and gives me more options to pull B and B+ shows each week.

I'm able to turn a profit and am running a regional development farm to stack my roster once I'm in position to switch to national size.

But that being said, every time I need a PPA expire so the worker leaves my roster, Dixie jumps in and renews them for like 2 years. It's really annoying.

So Dixie is an idiot.

Mod is working as intended.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Anybody else getting new and weird glitches in 2K17 since the patch? When i go to download a show on community creations, it asks me to pick a save spot on the my list of downloaded wrestlers.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
As you're on the phone with the wrestler to wrap up the last loose ends of their contract, Dixie can be heard faintly shouting "GIVE HIM WHATEVER HE WANTS"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If I disliked the grapple system in WWE2K14, will I like the newest game any more? Or is it just a case of "new year, new paint job" like a lot of sports and wrestling games?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

What irked you about 2k14's grappling?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

What irked you about 2k14's grappling?

I just really disliked how much of a challenge it was to stay on offence. Everything felt like it was too laboured in terms of following up on offence, also. I prefer the old Yukes approach or Fire Pro, I guess.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If I disliked the grapple system in WWE2K14, will I like the newest game any more? Or is it just a case of "new year, new paint job" like a lot of sports and wrestling games?

Did 2K14 still have the complicated system where there were multiple grappling positions you had to initiate? I think there was a grapple button, and you hit one of the face buttons to pick which position you started out in, and then hit another button or direction to do a move. Plus you had light or heavy grapples from some of those positions.

I can't remember what year that system changed, but it's simplified from that.

You have a grapple button that you can:
tap to grab a front facelock where you get a set of moves or target a limb
tap plus a direction with the left stick to do a quick move
long press plus a direction with the left stick to do a strong grapple

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Bidness posted:

Did 2K14 still have the complicated system where there were multiple grappling positions you had to initiate? I think there was a grapple button, and you hit one of the face buttons to pick which position you started out in, and then hit another button or direction to do a move. Plus you had light or heavy grapples from some of those positions.

That sounds correct. I remember finding it really hard to get through a match and win. The challenge where you had to beat Macho Man at WM with Ricky Steamboat seemed drat near impossible, and I'm usually pretty good at wrestling games.

Also I found the CPU was a little too good at reversals

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 28, 2016

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Hmmm maybe I should try playing TEW with an Owner in place again. I usually play as the owner, dealing with the AI was too annoying

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

triplexpac posted:

Hmmm maybe I should try playing TEW with an Owner in place again. I usually play as the owner, dealing with the AI was too annoying

Yeah, I'd always just lose my mind when my owner would immediately have their first goals be 'don't hire anyone young or old or interesting at all or YOU'RE FIRED'

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Apparently there's a new patch out for 2k17 (4 gigs, pretty heavy). I looked up the notes, here's the pertinent stuff:

quote:

GAMEPLAY

• The alternate submission mini-game has been tuned to last longer. Limb Damage is now weighted more heavily in the mini-game. The penalty for incorrect button presses has also been removed
• Adjusted Alternate Submission AI for Hard and Legend Difficulty so that COM Superstars behave more human-like. COM Superstars now have a higher chance of a delayed response time to button input changes and also input the wrong button press with greater frequency
• Major Reversals no longer grant a buff to the reversing Superstar. The Major Reversal buff only minorly impacted in buffing Submission Offense and prevented players from receiving a more substantial buff by taunting after performing the Major Reversal. By removing the Major Reversal buff, players can now taunt after a Major Reversal and still get the benefits of a taunt buff

MyCAREER
• The user now receives a greater share of scheduled tag team matches while in the tag team division, making it easier to attain ally points
• Users are now less likely to encounter multiple consecutive weeks without a match scheduled for the MyCareer Superstar
• T-Shirt sales now start on Week 1 of May, after the tutorial has been completed
• Fixed an issue where the MyCareer Superstar didn’t appear on the T-Shirt Sales screen if the attire in Options was set to ENTRANCE ATTIRE
• MyCareer-specific Superstars (e.g. Barron Blade, Jayden Jet, etc.) and MyCareer Invasion Superstars now have unique personality traits
• When already in a rivalry, the user can no longer schedule a call out promo against a different, non-rival Superstar
• The crowd is no longer unnaturally quiet in the opening cutscene

WWE UNIVERSE
• Addressed an issue in which additional match cards were added to a show card after editing a match card to be a title match
• Users are now able to manually switch control of tag partners in Universe matches
• Addressed a stability issue that could occur after deleting the Raw show without replacing it and proceeding to Tonight’s Show
• Addressed an issue where a Custom Superstar could win a championship after a self-promotion promo
• The “Weeks Held” statistic now tracks properly regardless of the champion holding the title
• Fixed an issue in which rivalries featuring a custom tag team didn’t remain active after creation
• Proceeding to the Highlight Reel no longer blocks the user from selecting “Next Match”
• Changes made by reassigning a championship to another Superstar will now save after exiting WWE Universe without the need to play or simulate a Universe match first
• Fixed an issue with saving changes made to a PPV Match Theme
• The third manager in a match with three managers is now playable

There's more stuff but it's all little things

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Is there a solid Attitude Era/Monday Night Wars mod for TEW16? I think that'd be fun to play.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Yeah, I'd always just lose my mind when my owner would immediately have their first goals be 'don't hire anyone young or old or interesting at all or YOU'RE FIRED'

I think it adds a different challenge to game. I kinda go about it making my user the lowest reputation booker and working up my rep.

It's actually kept me from just grabbing any worker I can. It's mostly the older guys who have the popularity, so I have to pick and choose who's worth pissing off the boss for the long run advantage.

But yeah, bad rolls can happen. I remember having a hiring cutoff at age 32/33 in a game before. That made things a bit too difficult.

Plus, it seems to put you more in an underdog position. I've had to let potential bidding wars go because the owner didn't want me spending way more than necessary. So I'd have to get creative with other perks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Bidness posted:

Right, so the real tragedy behind the 2K14 grappling system is that it is almost impossible to use it on a human player without being reversed, and it's very difficult on a CPU if you don't turn their reversal % down. This is because there are multiple points at which you can reverse any of the basic grapples, and the timing on the reversal is ludicrously obvious, as there is basically one canned animation that goes off on a grapple initiation, and your opponent can't attempt the move before or long after that animation happens.

As a consequence, matches with humans play like kickboxing fights, because only strikes are reliably going to get through without a reversal, and even those get turned around a lot. After you've beaten the poo poo out of each other, you get stunned more often, and a stunned opponent can be hit by one of your five "my opponent is stunned" moves, giving them only one chance to reverse instead of like three or so.

This and many other minor gameplay issues add up to what I would generously call a C game that is really only saved by robust CAW options.

If what I am describing sounds horrible, the cute part is that it was the best Smackdown game in like 10 years at that point. People like the basic concept behind WWE All-Stars as an alternative, but the game has about three inches of depth--there's really no CAW system to speak of and not a whole lot of characters.

2K15-2k16 change the gameplay dynamic by limiting the amount of reversals you make in a given time frame and adding a more significant stamina mechanic, but the games play like your characters are wrestling in quicksand, the submission system is super-convoluted, and the CAW options are terrible.

I'm kinda left between a rock and a hard place if I want to play wrestling games, because I can't stand the FirePro presentation and other than that, no other wrestling game is as good as even a bad WWE game.

quote:

The challenge where you had to beat Macho Man at WM with Ricky Steamboat seemed drat near impossible, and I'm usually pretty good at wrestling games.

I tried doing this match, and Macho Man would just get into a move sequence that was simply impossible to reverse. Luckily you can just unlock all the content without playing when you get the DLC.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't the Savage/Steamboat thing because you have to kick out of the elbow drop as one objective? So the AI will reverse everything until it has a finisher and can do it.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Apparently there's a new patch out for 2k17 (4 gigs, pretty heavy). I looked up the notes, here's the pertinent stuff:

There's more stuff but it's all little things

The patch completely messed up all my CAWS, custom textures are either messed up or missing during matches. Good job, Yukes!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

2K15-2k16 change the gameplay dynamic by limiting the amount of reversals you make in a given time frame and adding a more significant stamina mechanic, but the games play like your characters are wrestling in quicksand, the submission system is super-convoluted, and the CAW options are terrible.
Fwiw, CAW options are a lot better with 2k17, the only thing really missing from the creation suite as a whole is story creation. They added a new mechanic with reversals such that for a number of move types used against you, you can use 2 reversal bars instead of 1 to debuff your opponent. Any moves used against them (including signatures and finishers) will automatically succeed for about 30 seconds. It makes the ring escape ability much more valuable, since it can be used against you.

Game pace is still pretty slow, though

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't the Savage/Steamboat thing because you have to kick out of the elbow drop as one objective? So the AI will reverse everything until it has a finisher and can do it.

I think it was one of the optional goals, I'm not sure though

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I know I've chimed in here a bunch telling people 'Just play Firepro or vpw2' every year, but it's really unfortunate that this happens to be the case this year. It really needs to be rebuilt from scratch.

At least Showdown 64 is great and whoever hasn't tried it should.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Lazer posted:

I think it adds a different challenge to game. I kinda go about it making my user the lowest reputation booker and working up my rep.

It's actually kept me from just grabbing any worker I can. It's mostly the older guys who have the popularity, so I have to pick and choose who's worth pissing off the boss for the long run advantage.

But yeah, bad rolls can happen. I remember having a hiring cutoff at age 32/33 in a game before. That made things a bit too difficult.

Plus, it seems to put you more in an underdog position. I've had to let potential bidding wars go because the owner didn't want me spending way more than necessary. So I'd have to get creative with other perks.

Yeah it can be good, I just get frustrated when it's like 'don't sign anyone over age 33 but also don't sign anyone with a psychology below c-' and that leaves me with like 10 people I can hire in the game world

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So I download Supercard again and the same day, a cute boy asks me "Is that Supercard?" on the subway. Now that's results!!

Is there any goon community left for it? I see there's some sort of Season 3 upcoming, that seems like it might kick up interest again

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Jenny Angel posted:

So I download Supercard again and the same day, a cute boy asks me "Is that Supercard?" on the subway. Now that's results!!

Is there any goon community left for it? I see there's some sort of Season 3 upcoming, that seems like it might kick up interest again

Not sure about a community, but I'm still playing. Just got saddled with a group as its leader, so...that's a thing.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.
EDIT: Not sure why it took me back to the "new reply" page, but...double post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm still running the LLJK group. I opened it up to the public after goons stopped playing and have been trying to kick inactives but it's kinda meh. I did hit the top tier though thanks to MitB matches.