Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Elementary is a CBS crime drama and a modern retelling of the stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. Set in New York City, the show chronicles the cases of Holmes and his partner Joan Watson in their work both privately and with the NYPD.

Starring

Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock Holmes

In Elementary's retelling of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Sherlock is a recovering drug addict, sent to New York City by his wealthy father to help him recover. The recovery has gone well for him so far, but he suffered a relapse at the end of season 3 which he deeply regrets.

Lucy Liu as Joan Watson

A former surgeon, Joan Watson left medicine after losing a patient and became a "sober companion" to recovering drug addicts. Her time with Sherlock has shown that she has a knack for detective work, and she has since set up her own agency to take on her own cases in addition to her work with the NYPD.

Jon Michael Hill as Detective Marcus Bell

A detective with the NYPD with the rare distinction of Sherlock's respect. While he gets along well with Watson, he and Sherlock have never quite had what one could call a friendly relationship. That said, both he and Sherlock have great trust and respect for each other, and they have worked together on numerous cases.

Aidan Quinn as Captain Thomas Gregson

The captain of the NYPD's 11th precinct, Gregson is the one who first brought Sherlock on to help with homicide cases. Like with Bell, he and Sherlock are not friends, but Gregson sees Sherlock's potential and is the first to defend him when other officers mock or distrust Sherlock's investigative style.

John Noble as Morland Holmes

Morland is Sherlock's father, an obscenely wealthy business consultant whom Sherlock detests. He returned to New York City in Season 4 after Sherlock's relapse and was the focus of much of the season's story. At the end of the season, Morland became the head of Moriarty's vast criminal empire with the aim of dismantling it from within.

Other Characters

Natalie Dormer as Irene Adler/Jamie Moriarty

The love of Sherlock's life and the head of a criminal empire that spans the globe, Moriarty has been imprisoned since the end of season 1. Though her influence is still felt, she rarely appears on the show anymore because Natalie Dormer is too busy with Game of Thrones due to her incarceration.

Ophelia Lovibond as Kitty Winter

An apprentice that Sherlock took on in season 3 while he and Watson were apart, Kitty showed a similar aptitude for detective work. However, in the course of her work with Sherlock, she found the man who had raped her years ago and killed him, then fled so that both she and Sherlock could not be connected to the murder. She has not been seen since.

Ato Essandoh as Alfredo Llamosa

Sherlock's former sponsor in Narcotics Anonymous, Alfredo was formerly a car thief, but now uses his talents to test alarm systems for car companies. Though they are awkward with each other, in season 4 Sherlock "fired" Alfredo as his sponsor so that they could be friends outside of their relationship in NA.

Rhys Ifans as Mycroft Holmes

mycroft is gross go away mycroft
(thanks Pick)

Betty Gilpin as Fiona Helbron

A gifted computer programmer on the autistic spectrum, Sherlock and Fiona met as part of a case and she eventually helped solve it. They have since begun a stumbling but incredibly endearing romantic relationship.

And last but not least...
Clyde as Clyde

Season 5 Episode 1 - Folie a Deux
When a serial bomber becomes active again after being dormant for six years, Watson seeks help from Shinwell Johnson (Nelsan Ellis), a former patient whose life she saved when she was a surgeon. Also, Holmes senses Watson is unhappy and questions whether she is still fulfilled by her detective career.

Elementary premieres tonight at 10pm on CBS!

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Natalie Dormer ain't busy on Game of Thrones no mo'. :getin:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Boy CBS it's sure cool to see that your practice of delaying Sunday night TV every week is still going strong

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Premiere was good. I hope that Joan keeps helping that former drug dealer throughout the season.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Decent episode, although that CGI explosion was bad even by tv standards.

I'm dreaming of an episode that has both Natalie Dormer and John Noble in it this season.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
It does seem odd to me that they didn't set up some kind of overarching plot for the season in this episode. But maybe we'll see something next time.

Blind Pineapple posted:

that CGI explosion was bad even by tv standards.
Jesus Christ, yes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kind of a lame episode, where their starters are usually stronger. Eh it was fine.

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted
I was convinced that Fielder's son would turn out to be his accomplice, and that he would be the kid who spoke with the victim at the bombing in the cold open. I was pretty surprised when that turned out to be misdirection! Good job, Elementary writers.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It does seem odd to me that they didn't set up some kind of overarching plot for the season in this episode. But maybe we'll see something next time.

Jesus Christ, yes.

They kinda did though, with Joan's convict friend - between the gun at the end and the phone call after their first meeting he's clearly up to no good.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Recently started watching this on Pick's recommendation. Also because I have a big gay crush on Lucy Liu.

See you guys in a few months/years after I catch up!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm glad to have it back on tv, but what's the point of starting a season only to insert a week-long break?

In related news, I saw John Noble at a con over the summer. I turned a corner, ran into him unexpectedly, and started babbling in a rather incoherent manner. He gave me a hug. :3:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

I'm glad to have it back on tv, but what's the point of starting a season only to insert a week-long break?

It's just the unavoidable reality of election years. It's not like they can feasibly wait until all the way after the election without throwing their whole schedule off so a bunch of shows just have weird breaks for this month.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

They kinda did though, with Joan's convict friend - between the gun at the end and the phone call after their first meeting he's clearly up to no good.
I got the opposite impression from that last scene, actually. The talk Sherlock gave about helping people before it made me think that Shinwell had been planning to commit suicide because of how lovely his life had gotten, and Watson showing up interrupted him and made him reconsider.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I don't think he was planning to commit suicide, but he probably isn't doing some bad poo poo either. Former drug dealer on parole probably just had a gun because that's how every drug dealer is written.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm not convinced he was going to do some bad stuff either. He might have just had that gun "just in case". That phone call wasn't enough to be suspicious either because he later said that he phoned someone about the bombings.

It's not to say he wasn't considering committing crimes to improve his station, but I'm just not sure that he's definitely into some illegal stuff. It could go either way, though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

The Lord Bude posted:

I agree that they did setup things, but disagree with what it was. The phone call was just setup for Shinwell going to the Brownstone to inform Sherlock and Joan about Cray.

The obvious plothooks are more with regard to Joan's career stuff and whether or not she'll remain a detective.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I got the opposite impression from that last scene, actually. The talk Sherlock gave about helping people before it made me think that Shinwell had been planning to commit suicide because of how lovely his life had gotten, and Watson showing up interrupted him and made him reconsider.

People who are about to commit suicide don't normally check the door.

He's just in a bad place. If you feel the need to be strapped while opening the door, things aren't going too well for you. Watson was congratulating herself earlier in the episode for "fixing" him. She hasn't fixed him by a long shot.

It's almost as if she might learn a lesson about how being a surgeon isn't necessarily more about saving people than the job she does with Holmes.

Strictly conjecture of course.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Yeah I thought the gun at the end was clearly just him being paranoid from years of being in drug trafficking. He did get shot 5 times after all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's a minor and completely irrelevant thing but the one thing that stood out to me in this episode was whatever the hell Joan was wearing at the beginning. I often notice that she's really well-dressed, but at the start of this episode she just looked weird, like she'd thrown some random clothes together.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Former drug dealer on parole probably just had a gun because that's how every drug dealer is written.
This specific drug dealer had already been established as having gone to prison for his involvement in a gun fight though.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Elementary is a show generally in favor of the themes of people turning their lives around, not being judged for their pasts, not being judged for being in a group society tends to judge (as unsubtly telegraphed in this episode, that group this storyline is "people who've been imprisoned and can't get out from having that hanging over them"), and so on - not 100%, especially in single-episode characters, but it's fairly predictable. It trends at least mostly towards being a hopeful show, what with starring a recovering addict and all, despite the occasional stumble.

Expecting that guy to be a genuine bad person after watching this episode is about as likely to be right as watching an episode of NCIS and thinking the Navy suspect will actually be guilty (unless there are multiple suspects in the Navy, in which case some can be bad people while at least one obligatory noble and patriotic member of the military can still be exonerated).

If this were Criminal Minds or Law and Order he'd almost certainly be doomed, but Elementary usually goes the other way.

More importantly, where's Clyde at. :3:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 5, 2016

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Serious lack of Clyde in this episode.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Premiere was good. I hope that Joan keeps helping that former drug dealer throughout the season.

One can hope, but IMDB only lists one credit for Nelsan Ellis on the show and they're usually at least a few ahead with the information. Nice to see him getting work, though, he's a good actor.

The case in this episode was pretty crap, but I think Elementary has reached the point where the case is less important than the character interactions. That's the point where IMO it's time to wrap up your procedural show before it turns into Bones, but I still enjoyed watching it.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Agreed. Although I feel they've given really subtle hints about Watson meaning something to him, I hope they never actually romantically pair Watson and Holmes together. That would make this show more in the vein of Castle and Bones.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Season 5 Episode 2: Worth Several Cities

Holmes is abducted by the leader of a local street gang, who wants him to find the person who's behind a hit on his men; Watson considers whether to grant a personal favor for Shinwell.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 16, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

We figured out Watson's price :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pretty cool historical callback I thought, though again the mystery aspect was a little weak so I think this might be a good season to end on. Any word on if Dormer's schedule is more open these days?

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Is this season worth watching? I have two episodes on the DVR and barely any interest in watching them. All I miss is Clyde. 🐢

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
First is meh, really enjoyed the second though!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sherlock does care about Gregson :3:

violetdragon posted:

Is this season worth watching? I have two episodes on the DVR and barely any interest in watching them. All I miss is Clyde. 🐢

It's good so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Episode 2 is among my favorites in recent memory

Tonight's was pretty cool too

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I thought tonight's episode was great. Lots of funny dialogue with Sherlock and either Joan or Gregson playing the straight man, plus the heart-warming finish (though given the circumstances that could go south by the end of the season). The scenes where he was trying to convince Gregson to pop the question and when he was ridiculing the obviously fake kidnapping story were some of the funniest scenes in the last couple of seasons.

Also Kim Director's boobs nearly cracked the case in Inside Man too. People trying to commit high-stakes robberies should really quit using her as an accomplice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Happy 100 episodes! I haven't seen the recent one but I will tonight. Excited!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
was Clyde demanding too much lettuce this season and they whacked him - what's the deal.

he's gotten huge though.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 1, 2016

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Pretty generic episode last night. Loved the deadpan summary of the Kitty saga, though.

I hope there's more to the Shinwell story than "mysterious black man tries to lead him back to a life of crime" which feels beneath this show.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Blind Pineapple posted:

I hope there's more to the Shinwell story than "mysterious black man tries to lead him back to a life of crime" which feels beneath this show.

Nelsan Ellis (the actor playing Shinwell) is always sweating profusely from his scalp.

Maybe that's just a thing for him: I remember in True Blood they almost found a reason to put a hat or wrap of some sort on his head.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blind Pineapple posted:

Pretty generic episode last night. Loved the deadpan summary of the Kitty saga, though.

I was really hoping he would take up Watson's offer.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
From the preview, it seems we are getting an adaptation of The Speckled Band next time. As one of the first Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes I saw, I have a certain fondness for that story.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I was really hoping he would take up Watson's offer.

I really wasn't. We've had that story once. I do want them to do something interesting with Shinwell, though.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Nooooo Sherlock why are you breaking up with Fiona :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Nooooo Sherlock why are you breaking up with Fiona :smith:

My guess is that the writers just couldn't think of anything interesting to do with her.

• Locked thread