Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Deviant posted:

Hey, someone on FB linked me the free alpha and I had to witness the shitshow for my self.

By the way, it turns out the patcher in no way throttles itself and renders the rest of your connection unable to even load a web page.

It's a real problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

Hey, someone on FB linked me the free alpha and I had to witness the shitshow for my self.

By the way, it turns out the patcher in no way throttles itself and renders the rest of your connection unable to even load a web page.

It does more than that, actually.
It opens a few thousand connections on a few thousand ports, and has apparently managed to gently caress up someone's office network once.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

orcinus posted:

It does more than that, actually.
It opens a few thousand connections on a few thousand ports, and has apparently managed to gently caress up someone's office network once.

A quick netstat doesn't reveal anything TOO unusual, not that I'd really know what to look for. Definitely not seeing thousands of connections.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

A quick netstat doesn't reveal anything TOO unusual, not that I'd really know what to look for. Definitely not seeing thousands of connections.

They've probably brought it under control since, then.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Let's just take a look at the most recent patch notes while we wai-

Welp.

This is what happened when I clicked "Support".

Star Citizen: Something has gone wrong.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

orcinus posted:

They've probably brought it under control since, then.

So, we're calling this the "improved" version? Honest Lol.

Deviant posted:

Let's just take a look at the most recent patch notes while we wai-

Welp.

This is what happened when I clicked "Support".

no kidding, friend.

I'm glad the game's out yet, people would be pissed if they paid for this.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

OB_Juan just postulated a question:

quote:

"Are we even going to be able to play this game at the same time? Or is the netcode just going to poo poo into its own mouth? I mean, Elite has problems, but GOD drat."

And honestly, I don't know.

He postulated this when he came in to bitch that the patcher is hammering our internet so hard Chrome won't load webpages.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

OB_Juan posted:

So, we're calling this the "improved" version? Honest Lol.

I'm glad the game's out yet, people would be pissed if they paid for this.

A lot of them tend to be really happy and thrilled about the game's current state. It's the best thing they've ever played and they get more enjoyment out of it than every other game they've ever played combined.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Deviant posted:

OB_Juan just postulated a question:

And honestly, I don't know.

He postulated this when he came in to bitch that the patcher is hammering our internet so hard Chrome won't load webpages.

Yeah their downloader pretty much just opens as many ports as it possibly can... it's been black listed by a good many providers because of their 'virus' style downloader

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

Star Citizen: Something has gone wrong.

Star Citizen: Please check back in a little while

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Or is that Czech?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Star Citizen: 24GB for two planets you can't land on.

"Space is big, okay?"

:siren:UPDATE:

Tune in tomorrow to this space to watch me and OB_Juan try to figure out this finger-quotes-game and flog it for all the entertainment it's worth.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 24, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deviant posted:

vs

these are the same people that are writing the netcode STARCODE 1.0 for the game so that it can support more than 24 people online at once ~*dreams*~

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

XK posted:

A lot of them tend to be really happy and thrilled about the game's current state. It's the best thing they've ever played and they get more enjoyment out of it than every other game they've ever played combined.

:catstare: The Stimpire is real.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Deviant posted:

This is a known issue, therefore it's not a problem

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
How am I meant to champion the cause of our Lord and Savior Christ Roberts in the comments section of an article/youtube when I can't load a webpage because I'm updating the BDSSE.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?
Just spent a few hours playing star marine. Absolutely beautiful, especially the forest map and the gritty blood and mud of the trenches. Oddly enough though there was this occasional blowing of a trench whistle followed by the battle cries of a hundred angry men charging towards the next objective. Oh and the guns where guns, no laser pew pew and there were blimps. All I can guess is that it must have been set on the planet Bex where no advanced technologies are allowed. Yeah that must be it. Didn't see any zero g, except when getting rag dolled by an exploding artillery shell from a big ship. But it was a ship ship, not a space ship. It was kinda weird. Anyway lots of fun and up to 64 players per map. I highly recommend if you like shooters.

Or I maybe I clicked the wrong launcher and was playing a released game by one of those evil publishers....

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Is this marching powder?

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GraveAncientGar.webm

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The guy in the beige pants?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

these are the same people that are writing the netcode STARCODE 1.0 for the game so that it can support more than 24 people online at once ~*dreams*~

They are working on more important issues right now, like 4K crotches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YpVKwiqt_o

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

orcinus posted:

The guy in the beige pants?

The guy in the blue top :ohdear:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

cixorez posted:

Since soon it's that time of the year again...

Vanillekipferl recipe - http://imgur.com/gallery/r0sQU

I'd wager it's the best thing we ever came up with cookie-wise - if done propperly
Since the recipie is ok and the pics give you a good clue but the execution is somewhat lacking...

-> Some sidenotes (or how I learned it from Granny - she's 96 now and still makes several plates full every christmas)

--
Always use walnuts and/or hazelnuts instead of almonds - trust me on that one, it's sort of a texture thing and tastes better too

You could buy a dried Vanilla fruit and put it into a jar of powdered sugar some weeks before starting this but vanilla sugar is fine too

After prepping the batter put it into a cold room/fridge over night - not just an hour or so!

There are numerous benefits if you do it like this, the least one being the batter doesn't break that easily when handled later on
The only downside: you have to spend 10mins 1day prior to baking

Next day take it out and let it warm up half an hour before you start working with it
Batter should look like this and still feel slightly cool to the touch but not freezing cold and can be formed into crescents easily without breaking

Also don't start from little lumps - form a string and cut it like this instead

Then put them in the oven and watch it like a hawk
The part about getting/tasting burnt fast isn't an exaggeration - 10-12min tops depending on thickness - it's really the only thing that can go wrong very fast

--
¡¡¡¡¡¡ Now don't you dare eating them after you just baked 'em !!!!!!
--

Can't stress that point enough... (hence the dozen exclamation marks so everyone knows it's insane to do so)
Gran used to hide them away somewhere unfindable in the house when I was a kid - other cookies simply didn't compare so no worries there

Maybe 1 as a contrast to the endproduct if you really have to taste them fresh off the plate (like I simply had to the first time too)
Still - your tummy might not agree with the fresh product anyway and they most likely will taste like warm sawdust (you have been warned like I was...)

Let them cool down then put them into a tin box (where they can breath a bit so no super airtight containers)

for at least a week or two until they become soft and crumbly
--

At which point you may invite some friends over or bring some to work and let the battle for Vanillekipferl commence...

Quoting so I know where to find this.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

/
:buddy:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Full Carpet Burn

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

what the poo poo

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

OB_Juan posted:

Saw the Fall 2016 free week dealie-o, thought I'd see if it's as bad as people had said.

Time to first problem - -??mins. Mistyped password when trying to log in, launcher would not login with subsequent, correct, attempts (it claimed some kind of session sync error). Had to close and restart launcher to log in.

Started patcher. 24gb download. Well, at least I'll get to walk around in space, I guess.

Patcher stops downloading ~ 4gb remaining. No reason given, no issue with connection. Restart patcher, patching completes.

How am I doing vs other people who've "played" so far?

Slightly ahead of the curve TBH.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kakarot posted:

what the poo poo

this is what rock and roll does to people!!!!!

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

this is what rock and roll does to people!!!!!

Citizens preparing for MVP

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

OB_Juan posted:

It's a real problem.

No, the fact that the patcher grabs every available port and refuses to let go is a "feature", not a problem. If it were a problem, they might have fixed it )

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

drat leavers

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

cixorez posted:

Since soon it's that time of the year again...

Vanillekipferl recipe - http://imgur.com/gallery/r0sQU

I'd wager it's the best thing we ever came up with cookie-wise - if done propperly
Since the recipie is ok and the pics give you a good clue but the execution is somewhat lacking...

-> Some sidenotes (or how I learned it from Granny - she's 96 now and still makes several plates full every christmas)

--
Always use walnuts and/or hazelnuts instead of almonds - trust me on that one, it's sort of a texture thing and tastes better too

You could buy a dried Vanilla fruit and put it into a jar of powdered sugar some weeks before starting this but vanilla sugar is fine too

After prepping the batter put it into a cold room/fridge over night - not just an hour or so!

There are numerous benefits if you do it like this, the least one being the batter doesn't break that easily when handled later on
The only downside: you have to spend 10mins 1day prior to baking

Next day take it out and let it warm up half an hour before you start working with it
Batter should look like this and still feel slightly cool to the touch but not freezing cold and can be formed into crescents easily without breaking

Also don't start from little lumps - form a string and cut it like this instead

Then put them in the oven and watch it like a hawk
The part about getting/tasting burnt fast isn't an exaggeration - 10-12min tops depending on thickness - it's really the only thing that can go wrong very fast

--
¡¡¡¡¡¡ Now don't you dare eating them after you just baked 'em !!!!!!
--

Can't stress that point enough... (hence the dozen exclamation marks so everyone knows it's insane to do so)
Gran used to hide them away somewhere unfindable in the house when I was a kid - other cookies simply didn't compare so no worries there

Maybe 1 as a contrast to the endproduct if you really have to taste them fresh off the plate (like I simply had to the first time too)
Still - your tummy might not agree with the fresh product anyway and they most likely will taste like warm sawdust (you have been warned like I was...)

Let them cool down then put them into a tin box (where they can breath a bit so no super airtight containers)

for at least a week or two until they become soft and crumbly
--

At which point you may invite some friends over or bring some to work and let the battle for Vanillekipferl commence...

they look like dusted turds though

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

comatose posted:

How am I meant to champion the cause of our Lord and Savior Christ Roberts in the comments section of an article/youtube when I can't load a webpage because I'm updating the BDSSE.

You should have a dedicated internet connection for that :colbert:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

God, Cymelion hedges his posts enough to make a maze.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Someone got a quote on the leavers from CIG in the recent months?

ELE?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

looking for the mental gymnastics gif.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Vega One
VegaOne
Posted: October 23

A proffessor of applied mathematics and statistics has just posted this on the RSI site

Edited: October 23 by VegaOne
i was just wondering if anybody has a rough estimation how much the production of the game (salaries of the employees , rent, Equipment etc) have been spent already.
So far we are at 129millions and its still going

so its around 350 of employees at the time now.....if we consider each employe is getting around 7k a month that would make 3 millions / year...for the rent they have 5 studios? 3 in US 2 in Europe..lets say each location costs 25'000 a month its 1,5 millions / year for all studios.

so its salaries ( 3m) + Rent (1,5m) + infrastructure / equipment, power bills, food, (3m)....so i get a total of 7,5million dollars a year right now...we have 4 years production time... with a total different situation in the beginning..20 employes, 1 studio...

1st year rough est. 1,5m
2nd year rough est 3,5m
3rd year rough est 5m
4th year riugh est 7,5m

so its 17,5millions in total..

so that would mean only 7,5 % of total funding money is spent to the project...
s that even possible? im just wondering if we are even able to run out of funding money in general...

or is my speculation totaly wrong...?

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

EightAce posted:

Vega One
VegaOne

A proffessor of applied mathematics and statistics has just posted this on the RSI site

i was just wondering if anybody has a rough estimation how much the production of the game (salaries of the employees , rent, Equipment etc) have been spent already.

so its around 350 of employees at the time now.....if we consider each employe is getting around 7k a month that would make 3 millions / year...for the rent they have 5 studios? 3 in US 2 in Europe..lets say each location costs 25'000 a month its 1,5 millions / year for all studios.

so its salaries ( 3m) + Rent (1,5m) + infrastructure / equipment, power bills, food, (3m)....so i get a total of 7,5million dollars a year right now...we have 4 years production time... with a total different situation in the beginning..20 employes, 1 studio...

1st year rough est. 1,5m
2nd year rough est 3,5m
3rd year rough est 5m
4th year riugh est 7,5m

s that even possible? im just wondering if we are even able to run out of funding money in general...

That's 2.5m a month of wages spudley. Standard citizen.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

How many Koruna is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

EightAce posted:

Vega One
VegaOne

1st year rough est. 1,5m
2nd year rough est 3,5m
3rd year rough est 5m
4th year riugh est 7,5m

Even the basic math from the idiot is wrong? 7k per month x 12 months = 84,000. Multiply by 350 employees gets you 29.4mil per year, or a little over 2.4mil per month.

I guess I'm just smarter than a proffessor. :smug:

• Locked thread