Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Class seems like the kind of show I'll catch when it inevitably goes to Netflix and always be a season behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, like... it sort of works because Frobisher learned to be a Bogart-like detective by osmosis but boy howdy is it annoying.

Whether you like the Holy Terror is entirely whether the child voice is creepy (it was for me) or silly (as it is for some people), and that's okay. It's a matter of taste and neither viewpoint is wrong, and like all Big Finish, the reason it works so well for some is that it took a huge risk.

I'm a little of both columns. Holy Terror is the audio where I jumped fully on-board the Big Finish fan train*, but I still think the child's voice is a tad goofy.

*also when I jumped on board the Colin Baker-is-awesome train. Catching Terror of the Vervoids on PBS as a kid in the early 90s didn't leave me with the best first impression.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Made a Class thread. Let's hope it doesn't suck!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Made a Class thread. Let's hope it doesn't suck!

I'm afraid your thread does suck!!!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
A 13th series of Jago and Litefoot got announced today.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

A 13th series of Jago and Litefoot got announced today.

Doesn't this look like a bunch of chaps you'd like to have a pint with every Thursday night?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My favorite quote from the J&L behind the scenes:

Baxter: I do love all these talented young actors they find us to work with.
Benjamin: They'd be hard pressed to find anyone older.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

My favorite quote from the J&L behind the scenes:

Baxter: I do love all these talented young actors they find us to work with.
Benjamin: They'd be hard pressed to find anyone older.

I'm starting to believe that these plays aren't scripted. The pair just shows up to the booth, there's a prompt written on the wall and a small box of props, and they just go at it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Interesting Who-related bit from Class: I think they've done an electric guitar version of Twelve's leitmotif.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Interesting Who-related bit from Class: I think they've done an electric guitar version of Twelve's leitmotif.

Played by Capaldi, I presume? :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Probably by Murray or whoever's scoring Class, honestly, but it played during the Doctor's first scene where he confronts the villain of the premiere: Your high school D&D DM's shadow king boss for his campaign.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Astroman posted:

Played by Capaldi, I presume? :allears:

Where's my official goddamned release of Clara's theme on guitar drat it!?!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, related:
There's a moment where the Doctor sees the memorial wall at Coal Hill... he fixates on Clara's name as he talks about Time never forgetting a face...

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, related:
There's a moment where the Doctor sees the memorial wall at Coal Hill... he fixates on Clara's name as he talks about Time never forgetting a face...

Also Danny Pink was right above her and Susan Foreman was the column to the left near the top.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm of two minds after watching the first episode. The writing is very strong, and the acting is perfectly passable, if not extraordinary. It slots very easily into a Buffy-type sci-fi/horror/comedy model.

Unfortunately, Doctor Who is a show that punches way about its weight in terms of direction and production. It looks amazing. It has some of the most effective effects and CGI for its budget. And Class, even by the standards of the genre, looks cheap and amateurish. Bad CGI is easy to forgive, but its camera angles range from flat to actively confusing.

The shots with Capaldi are a great demonstration of this. On Doctor Who, he looks like he's in a movie. On Class, he looks like he's in... a low-budget TV show. I really hope they pick it up with the production after the first episode, because it really is a great idea merely executed poorly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Emerson Cod posted:

Also Danny Pink was right above her and Susan Foreman was the column to the left near the top.

I hope Ian constantly scowls at the latter name being on the wall because he knows it is wrong but he can't tell anybody.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Minor quibble; Torchwood Archive is clearly divided into two episodes....but there's no chapter break in the file :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Emerson Cod posted:

I hope Judith Winters is on there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Production values are probably difficult since the BBC 3 budget got slashed with the move to online.
Having watched the second episode, I think they've settled into characterisation a bit better. Miss Quill was actually pretty entertaining with the mix of justified paranoia, sexual frustration and regular frustration. I think they might be going for a double-switch with her and Charlie, where he's more gung-ho and callous about killing their enemies over time and she gets more like the Doctor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

I hope Judith Winters is on there.

And Mr Bronson.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Finished up Torchwood Archive, I rate it as merely competent.

It felt like it was written after the fact to retroactively tie together all the Committee stuff, not a logical endpoint to all the Committee references seeded throughout the first two full series' of stories. The acting was uniformly good, and it was a treat to hear pretty much every major character pop back up for a bit (although Owen is still conspicuous in his absence)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

be sure to watch the new Black Mirror season if you want to see the Zygon 2-parter done the right way (specifically the episode "Men Against Fire" )

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first episode of Class wasn't like, terrible or anything but when alien teacher pulls the gun out they used the stock "GUN CLACK" sound when all she did was hold it in her hand so that annoyed me.

Also Ninth theme got my attention.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm watching Broadchurch to get a feeling for what this Chibnall guy is about.

1) This show is good so far, 6 episodes into the first series.

2) Where I can see it running into trouble will be with longer-story continuity, which in my ideal world won't be a problem with Doctor Who.

3) I'm ready for more episodes of Doctor Who.

e. after making this post I started to imagine Doctor Who with long montages of people being sad and now I'm a bit more cautious than 3 bullet points ago.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 24, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Broadchurch is fantastic, really top notch tv.

Some people didn't like season 2, but I enjoyed it.

Never bothered with the US version though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't bother with the US version, despite Tennant it is decidedly not good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhyno posted:

Has there ever been a US adaptation of a UK series that didn't suck?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shameless.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BSam posted:

Shameless.

Oh right, aside from a certain tv movie :cripes:.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I mean the Paul Abbot tv show Shameless.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Office?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Does Veep count?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I never ventured into season 2 of Broadchurch because season 1 had such a definitive arc and ending that it felt like "Why on Earth would they ever make more of this? What story would they even tell?" Season 1 was really incredible, though.

His record with Doctor Who is kind of middling and the less said about his Torchwood episodes, the better, though. I have my fingers crossed that Chibnall Doctor Who will be good, but I think it depends on who he takes scripts from for the monster-of-the-week stuff and how heavy-handed he is with "arcs."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One that have been popular, off the top of my head, include House of Cards*, Sanford and Son, Kitchen Nightmares and American Idol.

*I know it's a book series

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think season 2 might have been salvagable if the court scenes hadn't been so awful, also if they'd decided if they wanted the season to be about either the old case coming back to haunt Hardy or the trial dividing the town and reopening all the wounds from season 1. Season 1 was so good too :(

I'm still disappointed the scene where Miller is accused of having an affair with Hardy didn't end with Miller just bursting into uncontrollable laughter at the idea.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

*I know it's a book series

To be fair, didn't the author write each book in the trilogy largely as sequels to the tv adaptations made inbetween them being published? I think I recall that in the original books Urquhart is actually doomed/defeated each time but come the sequel he wrote it as if it had ended the way the TV show's version had?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, didn't the author write each book in the trilogy largely as sequels to the tv adaptations made inbetween them being published? I think I recall that in the original books Urquhart is actually doomed/defeated each time but come the sequel he wrote it as if it had ended the way the TV show's version had?

Yeah, the first book ends with Urquhart killing himself after Mattie confronts him with the tape that reveals his crimes, then Dobbs ignored it and wrote To Play the King as a sequel to the TV story (I don't think he ever even went back to rewrite the ending of the House of Cards novel). That novel ends with the Prince Charles stand-in announcing he will abdicate (as he does in the TV series) but also declaring his intention to seek election as a private citizen, with the intention of standing against Urquhart in his own seat, the implication being that Urquhart will lose.

As far as Transatlantic adaptations go, I didn't think the movie version of State of Play was terrible. Not as good as the BBC serial but not terrible.

Paul Abbott always used to talk about how he had a sequel to State of Play in the works, but it's been 13 years now so it's never happening. :(

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 24, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Final Cut has a different ending too. FU's death happens in both versions, but how and why differ dramatically.

The US version of Queer as Folk was apparently pretty successful too.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, the first book ends with Urquhart killing himself after Mattie confronts him with the tape that reveals his crimes, then Dobbs ignored it and wrote To Play the King as a sequel to the TV story (I don't think he ever even went back to rewrite the ending of the House of Cards novel). That novel ends with the Prince Charles stand-in announcing he will abdicate (as he does in the TV series) but also declaring his intention to seek election as a private citizen, with the intention of standing against Urquhart in his own seat, the implication being that Urquhart will lose.

As far as Transatlantic adaptations go, I didn't think the movie version of State of Play was terrible. Not as good as the BBC serial but not terrible.

Paul Abbott always used to talk about how he had a sequel to State of Play in the works, but it's been 13 years now so it's never happening. :(

Nah, Dobbs did do a revised edition of House of Cards that changes the ending to match the TV show among other things. Which I know because I once bought the novel thinking it'd be nice to see if it's really as different as contemporary reviews said and only realised half way through that I'd got the wrong one

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

Gracepoint deserved a second season more than Broadchurch :colbert:

Despite, y'know, it being an overall inferior product, they ended with an actual idea for what more would look like as opposed to Broadchurch which felt unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

I think season 2 might have been salvagable if the court scenes hadn't been so awful, also if they'd decided if they wanted the season to be about either the old case coming back to haunt Hardy or the trial dividing the town and reopening all the wounds from season 1. Season 1 was so good too :(

I'm still disappointed the scene where Miller is accused of having an affair with Hardy didn't end with Miller just bursting into uncontrollable laughter at the idea.

:catbert: I know it's an older show, but I posted like 5 posts above that I am literally watching it right now and in season 1. I went in entirely fresh.

Anyway, I'm still cautiously optimistic. I would be interested to see Doctor Who flavoured with some of psychological realism that I'm seeing in Broadchurch instead of the comic-book romance that Moffat brought. The thread's foremost complaints of the last series (hybrid aside) have almost entirely been questions of character motive, in both the major and in the minor characters. I'm not going to rewatch Cyberwoman, but I don't remember a poor handling of character decisions being among of its many many flaws.

• Locked thread