Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I need some context here. It's a water cycle/weather diagram but mixing of species... something about airborne pathogens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Organic compounds in Titan's atmosphere.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Outrail posted:

I need some context here. It's a water cycle/weather diagram but mixing of species... something about airborne pathogens?
'Species' can refer to any different varieties of (something). Between that and the bit about 'tracers,' I want to say it has to do with fallout, radioactive elements in the air.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Somebody get a screenshot of the poll results Rachel Maddow just showed, loving awful

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

CharlieWhiskey posted:

This is a great diagram of how my exgirlfriend acheived orgasm.

just kidding, she always faked it

Sorry about your lack of residual circulation

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

apparently "it's about regional development in health, education, HDI and GNI."

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

quite stretched out posted:

apparently "it's about regional development in health, education, HDI and GNI."

Alright, so it's hard to represent four types of data in one graph, and granted, this is a very creative way of doing it, but it's so unscientific that there's no point in making it. Where does the trunk end and the branches begin? Do the branches count as the trunk or the leaves? Why use such a tiny color spectrum? Leaves turn red too, I can see color pretty well but I can barely tell the difference between any of the continents/years.

And disregarding all that, we can't see any goddamn numbers. This isn't a pie chart where ratios are inferred. gently caress this poo poo. Do it well or don't do it at all.

edit: if there was a starker contrast between points it would be more excusable

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's perfectly obfuscating, the only thing you can tell is that the weird index trees have all grown in the last 25 years & Europe had a head start in the trunk area, which is so obvious it's idiotic to even mention.

There's no way to compare anything. You'd think it was on purpose, really.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why are Europe and Central Asia grouped?

Those are very different places. :psyduck:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Platystemon posted:

Well British Empire, India & so forth, totally the same,

I somehow missed that holy what in the name

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Platystemon posted:

Probably to include Russia with Europe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

Commonwealth of Independent States, i.e. grouping Western Europe with the former Soviet block.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Powered Descent posted:

Pretty tame by Fox News standards, but I'm amused that the evangelicals add up to 109%.

Their votes count for 9% more.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Idaho: Slightly Better Than DC and Nevada

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

States well known for no one ever wanting to move there: New York :confused:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

NYC does the whole 'chew you up and spit you out' thing pretty effectively.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

pik_d posted:

States well known for no one ever wanting to move there: New York :confused:

Well sure. Nobody wants to live there. There's too many people.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Those two sides of the graph have an overlapping population though so of course the numbers are relationally inverse. The population born in the state is a static number. The current population is both people born in state and people moving to the state.

As natural born people emigrate, the percentage of people that moved to the state goes up, even if no new people are moving there.

The graph makes it seem like natural born Nevadans are fleeing a state overrun by state immigration, but the immigration percentage could just be inflated by people fleeing the heat or politics or any other reason to leave Nevada.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also it doesn't take into account immigrants from outside the US.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ignite Memories posted:

New York State generally has a problem of educating people relatively well and then not having jobs for them to work in post graduation, leading them to leave to Texas, California, etc. Just ask most State legislators.

The solution, of course, is to reduce the quality of education so it all evens out. :v:

Of course, there's also this:

Pakled posted:

Also it doesn't take into account immigrants from outside the US.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

You are not wrong. I plan to move back to Ohio at the end of the year lest I end up living under one of many of the Hudson's lovely bridges :smith:

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
there was no other info around this chart

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Selklubber posted:

there was no other info around this chart

:eyepop:

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I'm prepared to feel dumb about this, but shouldn't that state graph have each state add up to 100% anyway? Any resident of any state either was or was not born there and yet no state is a rounding error from it.

Basically I really don't know how 86% of a population was born elsewhere but also half of that same population was born in Nevada and still there. I could see foreign immigration making up a difference if 100% wasn't reached but this poll accounts for 133% of Nevada's population somehow.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
The first column is a percentage of people currently living in the state. The second column is a percentage of people originally born in the state.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sighence posted:

I'm prepared to feel dumb about this, but shouldn't that state graph have each state add up to 100% anyway? Any resident of any state either was or was not born there and yet no state is a rounding error from it.

Basically I really don't know how 86% of a population was born elsewhere but also half of that same population was born in Nevada and still there. I could see foreign immigration making up a difference if 100% wasn't reached but this poll accounts for 133% of Nevada's population somehow.
The state is made up of 100 parts. 86 parts were born elsewhere.

14 parts were born in state. However, those 14 parts were part of a generation that totalled 29 parts. 15 parts moved away. If they were still there, the state would be made up of 115 parts and the percentage of out-of-staters would decrease.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

That makes way more sense, thanks. The wording on the right half in regards to the wording of the left half should have been a clue. Still an awful way of displaying that info. If only there was a thread for those

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I was just looking for a nicely labelled image of the Mandelbrot set

What the

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ahhh, good old mental illness.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Ahhh, good old mental illness.

Nope. MBA.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
To be fair, I've always considered that stuff the hallmark of a disturbed mind.

Let's hold an idea shower to get a helicopter view and square this circle so we can shift the paradigms without cascading nonrelevant information into our blue sky thought space and see if we can't make the new quo wash its own face.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

To be fair, I've always considered that stuff the hallmark of a disturbed mind.

Let's hold an idea shower to get a helicopter view and square this circle so we can shift the paradigms without cascading nonrelevant information into our blue sky thought space and see if we can't make the new quo wash its own face.

See? Sounds like a mid-to-upper management proposal!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Finally, I have a place to show off this 10 year old screenshot!

If you ever work for a giant corporation, you'll occasionally have to do these nonsensical online training things. It's always filled with graphs like these.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
$bn/Fraud

If the x axis was labeled 'Cases of fraud' or was something like 2001 to 2015 it'd make sense.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The more fraud, the more billions of dollars (are lost?). It makes perfect sense in its own retarded way.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like the extra touch that it's not just a straight line. That's how you know it's real data.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
It's hard to freehand with a mouse in MS paint.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners even a legitimate organization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phlegmish posted:

Is the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners even a legitimate organization

Send me $500 to get your certification and you, too, will be able to answer this question.