Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

yeah st is just like smash in randomness factor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

So I played about 10m of Blade Arcus; why does it belong in the airdasher thread? It's Anime as gently caress but it's otherwise a pretty chill footsies fighter.

Because of the aesthetic and the fact that most of the known players that play these games are associated with the anime/airdasher scene. As far as the gameplay goes, both Blade Arcus and Koihime Enbu have much more in common with SF/KOF/SamSho than they do Guilty Gear.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Super Smash Fighters Turbo

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, how does one play fighting games in VR?

I mean, the next DOA will be on VR for sure and I gotta be ready.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Gxhgedl0o

Eye tracking in fighting games is actually pretty cool

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

You use your whole body to get better moves.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmAwAefKZ8o

Eyes on the ball!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dragon enthusiast posted:

heres my hot take

randomness isn't inherently bad in competitive games

it's bad

The bad is occasionally outweighed in games where you don't want your players thinking too far ahead and/or you don't want to put too much emphasis on the skill of "anticipating your opponent's move." Like tabletop RPGs, for example, if your players had the ability to sit down and mathematically solve every combat encounter as soon as they looked at the setup turns would bog down forever and it would overwhelm any other skill you might have wanted to test.

In a real-time 1v1 competitive game where your opponent already has a ton of unpredictable options based on their own habits and conscious decisions, though? Completely useless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

so what about manipulable randomness, like platinum's gimmick in blazblue

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Faust item randomness is objectively good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I like Teddy better. :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I thought Faust and Zappa were non-random and based on the clock?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

idk about faust but zappa is was only like two summons

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Faust items are completely random and zappa summons are only non-random if the last digit of the round timer is a 0, 1, or 2

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

If Slayer hits you with DoT at 66.6 seconds you should instantly die. Also they should add decimals to the timer just for this purpose.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Did you know? Zappa will occasionally spawn a random summon whenever he leaves hitstun. This includes blue bursts. So if you get dog, you can mash D and the dog will eat the opponent's burst punish :thumbsup:

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

My favorite tiny detail about hnk is each round has 77 seconds

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
zappa getting stuff in hitstun was dumb imo, but it was fine because you could risk a summon quickly or wait. the guarantee on the timer was pretty cool because it basically gave him a 7 second cooldown on summon choice without being super weird or complex.

faust item randomness is fine because you can see the item on the way up and you have time to react to it so it just changes how both players play, also items aren't so powerful that they change the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

If Slayer hits you with DoT at 66.6 seconds you should instantly die. Also they should add decimals to the timer just for this purpose.

What if Sol hits his IK at 42.0 seconds

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
poker style randomness is good (your decisions are determined by the randomness) while sirlin style randomness is generally bad

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

wet your whistlers mother posted:

What if Sol hits his IK at 42.0 seconds

What if, man... :weed:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bad metaphors posted:

My favorite tiny detail about hnk is each round has 77 seconds

Actually they last about 5 to 10

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xand_Man posted:

So I played about 10m of Blade Arcus; why does it belong in the airdasher thread? It's Anime as gently caress but it's otherwise a pretty chill footsies fighter.

I've not actually played Blade Arcus and just assumed it was an Anime Fighting Game by dint of being anime as gently caress. Whoops. :shobon:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Next week's Punch the Ballot poll.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Koihime Enbu OST is good. It's a little too good for this poverty fighter at such a price, but I got it for cheap anyway and I got my Steam fighters collection to fill up. It sure does fit the fast pace of the game.

The game's meant to be pretty simple with some combos, mostly short. Counter hits are pretty big since characters have special crumple supers they can followup with and most things are simple. However, what I like about this game is that unlike most other games, the input buffer isn't too lenient/long and the game actually expects you to do full motions for most things like special and super. Kinda like Akatsuki or other poverty fighters at the time. Strangely, the game has a separate button for grabs, but it works. I think in past versions of the game people complained about dash fireballs coming out as dps, so they probably tightened the inputs.

But I like the OST more than the game, except the one ninja character with a command jump shurikens and a command grab. The brawler is cool too since she's got target combos, though you can't cancel into anything if you commit to the last hit.

I think I might have couple games with the anime folks at the scene or drop the game and come back for the OST every now and then since it's not on youtube.

Blade Arcus probably has more to offer with its fighting engine and looks prettier, but I'll probably get it in the next Christmas sale. People seem to still be playing both game in arcades.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zappa randomness is great because otherwise we wouldn't have the Mitsurugi Dog Counter.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Saoshyant posted:

8ing (Marvel 3, Tatsunoko, Bloody Roar, old Naruto FG) released a VR fighting game a couple months ago called Steel Combat and the way that game works is the arena is basically a big ring that loops around and you watch from the center or something.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
How would you do VR with a 3D fighter? Would you be able to see at different angles but with the same perspective? I hope they don't make people walk around a stage to follow the two characters. That would be quite the cardio following Nina from one corner of the stage to another.

I don't mind it being the default perspective, but allowing you to turn your head to see the surroundings and let you lean close to get a better view of the two characters. Sure would help in something like Tekken for things like mixups maybe. And I would've loved to see a VF game with a VR headset.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Steel Combat footage - it has a near/far system (kinda like Pokken?) so it's designed to let you look away from your character... or maybe that's just the most straightforward way to handle VR perspective? I dunno, it's an Oculus game that I touched for maybe three minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0frjzqhsuE

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Don't forget that Tekken 7 will be PSVR compatible

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
SEGA should make a VR fighting game.

They could call it "Virtual Fighter".

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

SEGA should make a VR fighting game.

They could call it "Virtual Fighter".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ZOfisY5rQ

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zangief main Stupendous is streaming with a similar mod(?) on his Twitch channel right now.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Don't forget that Tekken 7 will be PSVR compatible

Have they detailed what that's gonna be. Because Summer Lesson w/ Akuma would be pretty dope.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AkumaGouki-kun... I...

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

There has been some confusion as to how the Defense aspect of Smash works, so today I think I will post a bit about that, to help someone who might find themselves watching a tournament better understand what's going on in a match.

As everyone knows the shield in Smash is direction-agnostic, there's no high/low and there's no front/back way around it, when you hold Shield a bubble pops up and you're protected from all sides. To balance this, a shield is both a resource and a commitment, leaving you vulnerable to grabs or shield damage if someone conditions you to shield at the wrong moment. Shields aren't indefinite, they have health which is visually indicated by the size of the shield sphere around you, slowly shrinking the longer you hold shield for. When a shield is hit it takes damage and gets even smaller, and if a shield reaches its minimum threshold it pops, putting a character in a Stun state familiar to any Street Fighter player. Some moves do more or less shield damage than others- Little Mac has a two-hit combo that can break shields guaranteed, for example. When the shield gets smaller it doesn't cover the whole character, and "shield pokes" can happen, where an attack hits a shielding character in a part of their hurtbox that isn't protected and causes them to take damage as normal. Attacking a shield also causes shieldstun, which forces the character to stay locked in their shield for a set amount of time- moves with the Electric property cause 150% shieldstun and hitstun duration, making stronger electric attacks fairly safe (magic attacks often have the electric property to them, as well as Ness and Lucas's PSI attacks).

Activating the shield is a commitment, as mentioned above. When you tap the Shield button you're locked into shielding for a minimum 11 frames, and when you let go of shield you have 7 frames of recovery where you're vulnerable before you can act. The first 3 frames of a shield are called a "powershield" and they work like a Just Defense feature in other fighters, where if you tap shield just as an attack hits you suffer no shieldstun and no shield-drop recovery frames, so you can powershield an attack and counter immediately. The 7 frames of shield drop recovery are important because they limit what a character's out-of-shield options are against an attacker, since holding shield and pressing attack will give you a Grab, not a normal, which is itself a pretty good OoS option. Since shields are jump-cancelable you can replace your character's shield-drop recovery frames with your character's pre-jump jumpsquat frames, which can vary between 4 and 7 frames depending on who you play- and add those to the startup frames of your aerials to determine what is the best punish against a shielded attack. You also can't change direction while you're locked in your shield or when you jump from the ground, so a crossup by an attacker can make them safer from any front-facing attacks for a minimum of seven frames.

There are times when a shield cannot be activated. The initial startup of a character's dash can be jump-cancelled but you cannot shield during these frames, meaning if you dash in from too close you can't immediately stop an attack. If you press shield too early when jumping in you'll airdodge into the ground and incur what is known as "landing lag", or recovery frames for hitting the ground while a move is still active. You can buffer holding the shield button inside another move, however, so if you land on the ground in a neutral state while holding shield you will begin shielding on the first possible frame. This makes jump-ins risky, since committing to any action in the air too close to the ground will make you vulnerable when you land, and if your jump-in aerial hits a shield in the wrong window you're open to a big punish. Some move have Autocancel frames, meaning if you land during these specific windows of a move's animation you will cancel immediately to neutral, so timing your attacks can avoid landing lag- this is relevant to shield pressure but is a bigger topic for another day.

Shields aren't the only defensive option you have. There is a feature called "intangibility" which means a hurtbox on a character can't be interacted with by any hitbox, some characters have intangibility on some of their limbs during some of their attacks (this is especially true of heavyweights like Bowser, whose long arms can't be grabbed or hit mid-attack). Spotdodging, airdodging, forward and back rolls grant a character brief intangibility at the cost of a small amount of startup and a bit of recovery frames. If you read a grab and spotdodge the grab will whiff and you'll be in position to counterattack, or you can roll forward through an attack or airdodge out of a gap in a combo. Conversely, a spotdodge will not outlast the active frames on a multi-hit attack, a roll can be punished since only the first half of its total frames are intangible and an airdodge can be baited and read to land a kill off of. Rolls and dodges are very powerful tools but they can be exploited if you use them carelessly.

That's the basics of how defense works in Smash 4. Have a nice week, everyone.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

why

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Reiley posted:

There has been some confusion as to how the Defense aspect of Smash works, so today I think I will post a bit about that, to help someone who might find themselves watching a tournament better understand what's going on in a match.

As everyone knows the shield in Smash is direction-agnostic, there's no high/low and there's no front/back way around it, when you hold Shield a bubble pops up and you're protected from all sides. To balance this, a shield is both a resource and a commitment, leaving you vulnerable to grabs or shield damage if someone conditions you to shield at the wrong moment. Shields aren't indefinite, they have health which is visually indicated by the size of the shield sphere around you, slowly shrinking the longer you hold shield for. When a shield is hit it takes damage and gets even smaller, and if a shield reaches its minimum threshold it pops, putting a character in a Stun state familiar to any Street Fighter player. Some moves do more or less shield damage than others- Little Mac has a two-hit combo that can break shields guaranteed, for example. When the shield gets smaller it doesn't cover the whole character, and "shield pokes" can happen, where an attack hits a shielding character in a part of their hurtbox that isn't protected and causes them to take damage as normal. Attacking a shield also causes shieldstun, which forces the character to stay locked in their shield for a set amount of time- moves with the Electric property cause 150% shieldstun and hitstun duration, making stronger electric attacks fairly safe (magic attacks often have the electric property to them, as well as Ness and Lucas's PSI attacks).

Activating the shield is a commitment, as mentioned above. When you tap the Shield button you're locked into shielding for a minimum 11 frames, and when you let go of shield you have 7 frames of recovery where you're vulnerable before you can act. The first 3 frames of a shield are called a "powershield" and they work like a Just Defense feature in other fighters, where if you tap shield just as an attack hits you suffer no shieldstun and no shield-drop recovery frames, so you can powershield an attack and counter immediately. The 7 frames of shield drop recovery are important because they limit what a character's out-of-shield options are against an attacker, since holding shield and pressing attack will give you a Grab, not a normal, which is itself a pretty good OoS option. Since shields are jump-cancelable you can replace your character's shield-drop recovery frames with your character's pre-jump jumpsquat frames, which can vary between 4 and 7 frames depending on who you play- and add those to the startup frames of your aerials to determine what is the best punish against a shielded attack. You also can't change direction while you're locked in your shield or when you jump from the ground, so a crossup by an attacker can make them safer from any front-facing attacks for a minimum of seven frames.

There are times when a shield cannot be activated. The initial startup of a character's dash can be jump-cancelled but you cannot shield during these frames, meaning if you dash in from too close you can't immediately stop an attack. If you press shield too early when jumping in you'll airdodge into the ground and incur what is known as "landing lag", or recovery frames for hitting the ground while a move is still active. You can buffer holding the shield button inside another move, however, so if you land on the ground in a neutral state while holding shield you will begin shielding on the first possible frame. This makes jump-ins risky, since committing to any action in the air too close to the ground will make you vulnerable when you land, and if your jump-in aerial hits a shield in the wrong window you're open to a big punish. Some move have Autocancel frames, meaning if you land during these specific windows of a move's animation you will cancel immediately to neutral, so timing your attacks can avoid landing lag- this is relevant to shield pressure but is a bigger topic for another day.

Shields aren't the only defensive option you have. There is a feature called "intangibility" which means a hurtbox on a character can't be interacted with by any hitbox, some characters have intangibility on some of their limbs during some of their attacks (this is especially true of heavyweights like Bowser, whose long arms can't be grabbed or hit mid-attack). Spotdodging, airdodging, forward and back rolls grant a character brief intangibility at the cost of a small amount of startup and a bit of recovery frames. If you read a grab and spotdodge the grab will whiff and you'll be in position to counterattack, or you can roll forward through an attack or airdodge out of a gap in a combo. Conversely, a spotdodge will not outlast the active frames on a multi-hit attack, a roll can be punished since only the first half of its total frames are intangible and an airdodge can be baited and read to land a kill off of. Rolls and dodges are very powerful tools but they can be exploited if you use them carelessly.

please don't ever stop.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reiley posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gouki-kun...