Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blazing Ownager posted:

How's this show doing in the ratings by the way? Is it likely to stick around? It's appeal is much more narrow than Game of Thrones to a wide audience, I think, despite it being really loving good so I don't know how HBO feels about it.. that and I think you definitely get more from the show if you're really into AI/Cyberpunk/MMOs/Sandbox Games, I'm not sure how someone not into those things would feel.

GOT took a long while to really go mainstream, the first two seasons were more consumed by nerds and book-readers than the general population, and it gained steam as it went.

HBO has held onto terrible shows because they were critically acclaimed and cancelled very popular shows because they weren't. The ratings of Westworld don't matter. All that matters is whether the critics like it, which is the opposite of most normal TV shows. No clue if this is good or bad for westworld, but I would figure its probably a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The critics liked True Blood? And hated Deadwood?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Rome had very good critics but was cancelled anyway.

gently caress HBO.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm already on record for three timeliness and y'all need to get on my level.

Anard under the stairs

Bnard when the revalries unlocked the past

William learning what the new storylines hath wrought.

Sign me up for this newsletter, you moon-madman.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarLocke posted:

Doesn't look like anything to me.

Doesn't look like anything to me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
These have me in tears

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THIS

what no dickbutt?

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal
Arnold is the Bagger 288

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

GOT took a long while to really go mainstream, the first two seasons were more consumed by nerds and book-readers than the general population, and it gained steam as it went.

HBO has held onto terrible shows because they were critically acclaimed and cancelled very popular shows because they weren't. The ratings of Westworld don't matter. All that matters is whether the critics like it, which is the opposite of most normal TV shows. No clue if this is good or bad for westworld, but I would figure its probably a good thing.

They changed the head of programming this year so I wouldn't assume anything for most new shows getting anything more than 2 seasons if they think they can do better. This is a pretty big blockbuster of a show, though, so I'd be surprised at anything less than 3 seasons, giving them enough time to come up with something to replace it, eventually.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Finally saw the episode, and the most prominent thought I have is that I am very glad they gave Anthony Hopkins some scenery to chew on.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't get why the corporate lady was so intimidated by Ford's speech to her. He's "God" in a fantasy world that requires the constant efforts of hundreds of people to keep from imploding on itself, and even his job is mostly concerned with fine-tuning everything so that it doesn't collapse. It's still all a fantasy world built around people escaping reality with fuckbots, and he just sounds like the king of the bot-fuckers when he talks about how he's in control.

If the subtext was "I could kill you with these fuckbots sweeping the floor and pouring wine and cover it up," yeah that's plenty scary, but not on the level she seemed to be reacting to. It's still just a conversation about money and entertainment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

tadashi posted:

They changed the head of programming this year so I wouldn't assume anything for most new shows getting anything more than 2 seasons if they think they can do better. This is a pretty big blockbuster of a show, though, so I'd be surprised at anything less than 3 seasons, giving them enough time to come up with something to replace it, eventually.

Do they have any other expensive "oh poo poo!" shows lined up at all? I can't think of another prestige piece that's currently running. It's mostly comedy and Vice and John Oliver (these are the things I watch on HBO anyway).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

I don't get why the corporate lady was so intimidated by Ford's speech to her. He's "God" in a fantasy world that requires the constant efforts of hundreds of people to keep from imploding on itself, and even his job is mostly concerned with fine-tuning everything so that it doesn't collapse. It's still all a fantasy world built around people escaping reality with fuckbots, and he just sounds like the king of the bot-fuckers when he talks about how he's in control.

If the subtext was "I could kill you with these fuckbots sweeping the floor and pouring wine and cover it up," yeah that's plenty scary, but not on the level she seemed to be reacting to. It's still just a conversation about money and entertainment.

I think the subtext was "It's my world and I'll do whatever I please" accentuated by the giant ground chewing machine digging up everything in its path.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

tadashi posted:

I think the subtext was "It's my world and I'll do whatever I please" accentuated by the giant ground chewing machine digging up everything in its path.

And I think the implication was that the BAGGER 288 was about to demolish the villa that was the place of her cherished childhood memory.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

It was more "look, there's been lots of people before you and some liked it and others didn't. In the end I'm still here, and they aren't." the subtext being: because I got rid of them. (Not that he killed them, but that he got leverage over them)

He then very overtly points out that he knows she's sleeping with Bernard. Who is married, and she might be too. There's your leverage.

He's very strongly intimidating her with blackmail, and even going beyond that with the 'god' stuff. Its very intimidating, even if he wouldn't kill her; which he could easily do if he truly were pushed to extremes.

He basically said "I'm going to do what I want to, you can't stop me, if you don't like it, quit." that's pretty drat intimidating. He's massively confident that he'll have his way, come hell or high water. He's gone rogue and doesn't care if anybody knows it. Delos will have to bring in an army and physically remove him from the park if they don't want him to do what he's going to do.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THIS

Would have been better with dickbutt.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

He then very overtly points out that he knows she's sleeping with Bernard. Who is married, and she might be too. There's your leverage.

Or he's not and the truth is even worse, like she's acting like a member of the MMS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/washington/11royalty.html

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm trying to understand all the motivations involved in that conversation. Ford clearly wants to do his new storyline now, and it sounds like the board might actually want to delay that indefinitely. So might they be waiting for him to die so they can move the park in a different direction? Won't work if he's a secret killer robot.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Caufman posted:

I'm trying to understand all the motivations involved in that conversation. Ford clearly wants to do his new storyline now, and it sounds like the board might actually want to delay that indefinitely. So might they be waiting for him to die so they can move the park in a different direction? Won't work if he's a secret killer robot.

We know the corporation has alternate plans for what the park is doing. I would guess it doesn't have anything to do with entertainment but the only conversation relating to it was the one in the opening episode between Theresa and the narrative guy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

This is coupled with the fact that he's obviously a brilliant and intimidating man who has outlasted several people in her role and who has already somehow gone over her head in having the board's representative visit before she was aware. The terrifying robots are just set dressing to remind her that she has very little control or institutional knowledge compared to him. Also, he clearly knows personal details about her than she'd like.

It was basically "Reminder: I am not a doddering old sentimentalist, and I still have considerable influence in this, the place that I created from scratch. Stay out of my way."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

The critics liked True Blood? And hated Deadwood?

Deadwood and Rome had relatively high production costs (compared to shows set in the present day where sets and costumes are more straighforward) and happened before anyone realized how much money there really was in long-term DVD sales and streaming subscriptions.

If HBO thinks that a show will keep enough viewers paying their bill every month to cover the production costs then it will probably keep the show on. Critical acclaim probably feeds into that equation at least a little bit. I bet that decision process looks lot different now than it did when Deadwood and Rome were on. Note that ratings are for advertisers; HBO only cares about subscribers.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 24, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Got a really weird timefuckery vibe from this episode. Ed Harris and the hosts in his story line seems to talk about Wyatt like it's a very old thing that has been around for a long time, while we the viewers are lead to believe that Ford started working on this plotline just recently, even after Ed Harris had already come to the park to look for the maze.

But there is no way how a time plot twist would make any sense with everything we know right now.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Zaphod42 posted:

My read was that Bernard and his wife divorced after the death of their son, but I may have missed a detail implying they were still together. It's not so much leverage as it is "this big secret you think you have is known to me and I couldn't be more bored with it. Compared to me, you and your board are small and insignificant, now watch as my will demolishes your childhood memory - which, again, I created with my own hands and mind and majesty"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Got a really weird timefuckery vibe from this episode. Ed Harris and the hosts in his story line seems to talk about Wyatt like it's a very old thing that has been around for a long time, while we the viewers are lead to believe that Ford started working on this plotline just recently, even after Ed Harris had already come to the park to look for the maze.

But there is no way how a time plot twist would make any sense with everything we know right now.

Also, the hosts would talk about Wyatt like it's an old thing because their memories of him are fake. The maze might have nothing to do with the Wyatt storyline. Ed Harris might be chasing a false connection, like Elsie thinking that the design is Orion.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 24, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think episode 10's title is a giant spoiler as to how the minds of the hosts work.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Riso posted:

Rome had very good critics but was cancelled anyway.

gently caress HBO.

I kind of forgive HBO for this, to be entirely honest. THey have repeatedly said it was a huge mistake and that they wish they had not done it, and immediately jumped on doing Game of Thrones to fill the gap they made. Honestly it kind of worked out because we might have gotten 2, 3 more seasons of Rome but lost GoT entirely as a show had it gone differently.

If you want to say gently caress (network), please pick AMC. AMC are unbelievable shitheels and the only reason stuff like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Better Call Saul, etc. aren't poo poo is they're co-owned by other studios.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The lady didn't have the tattoo in the pilot. She has apparently just been reset with the Wyatt narrative within the last two episodes. She wouldn't know the difference.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm already on record for three timeliness and y'all need to get on my level.

In all seriousness there is one timeline issue that is interesting:

- The hooker (God I'm blanking on her name) started drawing the hazmat suits and putting them in the floor
- There were like a dozen said drawings in that floorboard, and several clever edits indicated a passage of time
- This is where the problem happens: Mr. Noob Whitehat and his l337 Blackhat friend are still in the park.

So unless they took a month long vacation there at $40,000 a day (which I still think might be more like $4,000 a day in future money to make much sense, it's still a shitload when you figure in all the merchandising and stuff they're probably doing, plus the side research) something is a little fishy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lycus posted:

Also, the hosts would talk about Wyatt like it's an old thing because their memories of him are fake. The maze might have nothing to do with the Wyatt storyline. Ed Harris might be chasing a false connection, like Elsie thinking that the design is Orion.

That was actually my first guess. When MiB was like "hey, this is something I haven't seen before!" and it ended up being a violent root'n'toot adventure, just up his alley, I was thinking "oh man, they're loving with the MiB. That girl said "the maze isn't for you" and then sent him on a wild goose chase. That's hilarious" Especially since he met up with other guest PCs who are not looking for the maze and probably don't even know it exists.

But now it seems that there was something to that after all, since the girl did have a backstory involving Wyatt. But then if Wyatt is something Ford is doing recently, downloading those story memories, does that mean Ford is building the maze? MiB seemed pretty convinced Arnold had built it (and the fact he even knows about Arnold is a pretty mind blowing revelation) but if Ford is just now adding things to the world related to the maze, how could that be?

That's the big question right now, as far as I'm concerned. What was Arnold's endgame exactly, and what the heck is Ford up to now? He makes it sound like Arnold was mistaken and yet he behaves as though he's carrying out Arnold's wishes.

Jack Gladney posted:

The lady didn't have the tattoo in the pilot. She has apparently just been reset with the Wyatt narrative within the last two episodes. She wouldn't know the difference.

Pretty sure she did have the tattoo because some goon was even posting theories that her character was based on The Boss from MGS as some kind of video game reference. Most of the Tattoo is on her back, and she wears some head wrapping, so it could have been easy to miss in the pilot.

But the backstory explanation was just recently created. If you'd asked her about her tattoo before, she would have told you to gently caress off or that she just liked snakes or something, since Wyatt is apparently new.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

The lady didn't have the tattoo in the pilot.
She does.

It's hard to spot because the lighting's a little bit washed out, but you can see it on her face when she's shooting up the town near the end.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

She totally has, you can clearly see it during the paint it black scene(which takes place before Ford even starts working on his new narrative).

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ok just caught up with the thread...WHoops!

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 24, 2016

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

She totally has, you can clearly see it during the paint it black scene(which takes place before Ford even starts working on his new narrative).

This is unclear, didn't previous dialogue from Ford indicate he had been working on the new narrative for some time? Meaning some of the pieces could have largely been in place, it was just a matter of uploading more of the story lines and doing some final world remodeling.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Teek posted:

This is unclear, didn't previous dialogue from Ford indicate he had been working on the new narrative for some time? Meaning some of the pieces could have largely been in place, it was just a matter of uploading more of the story lines and doing some final world remodeling.

I think they mentioned in the pilot that Ford hasn't been involved with the narratives for a very long time now and doesn't really give a poo poo. Him starting to involve himself more is kinda one of the main plot points of the show.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

But the backstory explanation was just recently created. If you'd asked her about her tattoo before, she would have told you to gently caress off or that she just liked snakes or something, since Wyatt is apparently new.

Is he? Isn't it possible that he's an old character that's being given more backstory in the same fashion as Teddy?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I thought it was interesting how 2 episodes ago, the show revealed that the host bodies don't die like human bodies do. The bald & bearded host who self-destructed himself with a rock did so after having his neck sawed into 4-5 inches. So how does a host die? Are they programmed to shut off if they are wounded in a critical area?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Also, for evidence against the William=MiB theory:

When Dolores is asleep with William and Logan out in the wild, she has a dream in which Bernard sits with her and does some analysis. How could she dream of an event that hasn't happened yet? That Bernard is clearly present day Bernard, because we have seen him talking to the current, older Ford in many scenes.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
What if it's a flashforward

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can I just add I love the fact the fact they picked dance music for the heist this time, since it totally said a lot without saying a thing, pointing out how this violent exciting gunfight was so planned and choreographed, it became a dance, not a battle. Well played with that bit of subtle editing. Several cool subtle editing tricks this episode; like when the hooker has the flashback, then you return the "present" a few seconds before it happened, and immediately I figured out that a day had passed before the obvious reveal; it's great.

Gynecolojustice posted:

I thought it was interesting how 2 episodes ago, the show revealed that the host bodies don't die like human bodies do. The bald & bearded host who self-destructed himself with a rock did so after having his neck sawed into 4-5 inches. So how does a host die? Are they programmed to shut off if they are wounded in a critical area?

One thing I like about this show (and hated about BSG "Toasters") is that the intro perfectly explains why they die, bleed, and gib like people. They aren't metal underneath, at all; they're simulated biology that's been 3D printed from synthetic materials. In other words I suspect they have all the organs of a human; for all we know their brains might even be simulations of human brains, rather than traditional hard disks, if we know how to read/write/access that in this future; the vibe I'm getting is that the synthetics are literally an artificial brain that a computer can access and program, as while it functions, it's otherwise blank.

Maybe there's a chip in there somewhere instead, but overall, I think most of their biology is an actual replica of humanity, not just an appearance of it. That said it might be made of tougher stuff, and less reliant on our failings, or maybe even "improved" upon explaining the durability.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gynecolojustice posted:

Seems that way. We saw a malfunctioning host walking around with bullet holes in his chest in episode 1.

Maeve doesn't seem to shut down properly when she's shot either.

• Locked thread