Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

What is Eternal

Eternal is a digital collectible card game, by Direwolf Digital (they also made Elder Scrolls Legends) designed by a team that includes former Magic pro players, with the most notable ones being Luis Scott-Vargas and Patrick Chapin . If you've played either Magic or Hearthstone, you should have an idea on how it plays from the get-go. You make a deck of at least 75 cards, and do battle against another deck of also 75 cards.
The game works more like Magic than Hearthstone, most notably in that you need to play your resource mechanic (here called Power), rather than gaining one automatically, in a system that is similar to Hex's threshold mechanic, called Influence: When you play a Sigil (basic land, for Magic players) your Power goes up by one, and your Influence in that faction also goes up, but playing cards doesn't detract from your influence, only your power. So, with one Primal influence, you can play as many Primal cards (that only require one Primal influence) that your Power allows, avoiding the old Magic problem of having multiple cards requiring colour, but only one of that colour.

The game also features a mode called Forge that's similar to Hearthstone's Arena, only vs. the AI, and Magic-like drafting, complete with an algorithm for signals, vs. other players.

If you're coming from Magic, there's a fuller text primer here
And there's also one for folks who come from Hearthstone here
I'm a Magic player so I can't speak for Hearthstone, but the Magic primer won me over by pretty much summarizing my thoughts on Eternal:

Peter “Babam” Golightly posted:

It’s the game we all wanted Hearthstone to be, and the experience we all wanted Magic Online to become.

Is there a demonstration?

My first contact with the game was through this video, by the aforementioned Luis Scott-Vargas. It is quite old by now (the game looks much better, for one), but Luis explains it much better than my short brief up top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0MdD_tt-o

This guy seems to have done a video of the game's constructed PvE mode, called Gauntlet, and he shows off more stuff than the shorter intro video does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJhpEFTa4LA

And, the game also has tutorials, including a 4-match series with each faction's starter deck, that upgrades as you win each of those matches.

Recently, puzzles were added to the game, which are short 1-turn of 2-turn plays with a stated goal, and you have to solve them to win. Very helpful in learning about intricacies of the game, and it teaches a lot of lines that might not be immediately obvious to see.

Can I play?

You sure can. Even better, you can get some extra stuff by following a goon's referral code, from the spreadsheet below.

To get started, here is a good tutorial. The game is on Steam, and nothing about making an account is painful in any way, from what I recall.

What about the meta?
There are sites popping up, with NumotGaming having a decent number of articles for the game, as well as a card database, and RNG Eternal being a site dedicated to the game, with tier lists, draft advice, etc. It's not exactly as wide as Magic, but there's a solid foundation to get into it. Tournament results can be found here
There's also Eternal Warcry for deck searching, with options for sorting by format and all that.

Google doc of goon names: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LYF-FJIK6FMFG65CGTG3LOOiVCK9IvFM7i-Aq6LXMb4/edit?usp=sharing

New Stuff
Since the OP was written, the game has fully launched, and it's had an expansion too. Omens Of The Past featured the five two-faction pairs, and gave them mechanical identities and cards to play with their themes, and with your first win of each day (either in Ranked or in Casual mode), you get a free pack of it, as well as the usual chests for wins. The theme deck quests from the first set still exist, and you get one of them every few days, along with a free deck, until you have them all.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I actually signed up for a reddit account just to ask for a beta key. This really does look like what I hoped hearthstone would be. Having LSV working on it just makes it a dream come true though. Super hyped.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elblanco posted:

I actually signed up for a reddit account just to ask for a beta key. This really does look like what I hoped hearthstone would be. Having LSV working on it just makes it a dream come true though. Super hyped.

Let me know if/when you get one. There's no trading or anything, but Serperoth+0787 needs more folks on his friends list.

And yeah LSV was how I got into it, from the video on the OP. He's permanently online in the Discord as well, which is amusing to see.

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013
This game is tons of fun, drafting is great. I'm really looking forward to a wider release though, where hopefully we'll see more promo cards like yeti scouting party that mix up the meta

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've been playing for quite a while, got to masters in several seasons. Alas, I don't have as much time as I used to, but I still try to get in a draft or two per week.

E: There's also still space for deck innovation; I've been tinkering with a BUg reanimatorish deck for months and it's finally started doing well for me.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
You guys got any extra beta keys? I just noticed that I missed the last wave of keys by 3 days, ugh.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I'd be keen for a key too. Might have to check it out on reddit.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Reddit thread seems like the most centralized source, but obviously folks are more than welcome to share here. I'm on the Discord, so if I hear anything I'll let you know, but the rule there is "don't beg for keys" so I don't think I can spam too much :v:

Elyv posted:

I've been playing for quite a while, got to masters in several seasons. Alas, I don't have as much time as I used to, but I still try to get in a draft or two per week.

E: There's also still space for deck innovation; I've been tinkering with a BUg reanimatorish deck for months and it's finally started doing well for me.

Dang, that's cool. I did a draft today and just managed a 3-3 (with one DC in the first match), but I made it to Silver at least.
Deck innovation isn't dead at all, from the looks of it, patches change the meta, and currently there seem to be 4 Tier 1 decks, with another few pretty close in Tier 2.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've just discovered this game and watched some gameplay from it. It looks really good.
Less bullshit RPG than Hearthstone but much more streamlined and impenetrable than MTG.

I'm looking forward to actually playing it sometimes this decade hopefully. Apparently I just missed the invite wave.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I've just discovered this game and watched some gameplay from it. It looks really good.
Less bullshit RPG than Hearthstone but much more streamlined and impenetrable than MTG.

I'm looking forward to actually playing it sometimes this decade hopefully. Apparently I just missed the invite wave.

This is pretty much a good summary, there isn't too much randomness in the game, and even the stuff that affect "blind" cards still work on the top unit/weapon of your deck (Warcry) or something. Or are, like Crown of Possibilities, pure upside.

As to invites, I'm seeing people start recently-ish (I think I saw someone in a stream chat today even) so I don't think invites are RIDICULOUSLY scarce. And I figure that the Reddit thread would be good, although I don't know if I'd make a Reddit account just for that.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
It's been a few months since I last booted Eternal up but Sandstorm Titan is basically KTK standard-era Siege Rhino.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Looks cool. Hopefully the economics aren't too unreasonable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Serperoth posted:

This is pretty much a good summary, there isn't too much randomness in the game, and even the stuff that affect "blind" cards still work on the top unit/weapon of your deck (Warcry) or something. Or are, like Crown of Possibilities, pure upside.

Yeah, also unlike Hearthstone core mechanics of Eternal seems to not favor aggro as much. Because of the whole MTG blocking thing.
I approve of that.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DrManiac posted:

Looks cool. Hopefully the economics aren't too unreasonable.

They're pretty reasonable. A tier 1 deck can be had for ~15000 shiftstone (probably less since you'll have a bunch of the commons from the starters), which isn't too bad, and you can always farm the Gauntlet for gold/cards. Any chests you get from Gauntlet or quests and whatnot have a ~10% chance of upgrading to the next higher 'tier', so even a scrubbed Gauntlet run can give you a surprising boost.
For reference, chest tiers are as follows: Bronze (common card + ~50 gold), Silver (uncommon card + ~200 gold), Gold (one booster + ~500 gold), Crystal/Diamond (one premium/foil card + ~2000 gold). I've seen a chest go up from bronze to diamond myself so that's a nice little 2k gold boost.
There's some math for when you break even in Draft and stuff, I think it was two wins if you also count the four boosters you open?

And at any rate, no card in the game is more than 3200 shiftstone, and you'll be getting a lot of duplicates after you fill out some commons/uncommons, even if you don't destroy stuff you have but don't want/need. And those are the Legendaries, which aren't seeing huge amounts of play (with the notable exception of Sandstorm Titan, as ThePeavstenator, along with the 'rarer' Ijin, Siraf, and Deepforged Plate at a glance). Rares are important, but they're 800 shiftstone each, much more affordable.

Sandstorm Titan is a bitch though, but it's not a "play Time or get out" situation.

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, also unlike Hearthstone core mechanics of Eternal seems to not favor aggro as much. Because of the whole MTG blocking thing.
I approve of that.

Aggro is very much a thing from what I'm seeing, since it can also go tall with stuff like Warcry, and one of the current top decks is a Stonescar (Fire/Shadow) piece, running Frontier Jito to give your 1-drops Charge (haste), but the meta seems pretty healthy from what I'm hearing/reading. But from the 11 Tier 1-2 decks at https://rngeternal.com/tier_list/ less than half are aggro, and even then it's varying degrees, and not just "If I haven't won by Turn 6, I'm dead". There's also some combo in the format, but I don't know how good/reliable it is. Definitely can be a thing if you're not aiming straight for the top, I think.

But as to randomness, it's about as much as in Magic, I would say. Yeah you might not draw a power card (land) for a few turns, or your 4-ofs might disappear, that kind of thing. And with the mulligan mechanic, you're guaranteed 2-5 power cards in your redrawn hand so you'll rarely get screwed like that. The game's basic "Search your deck for a sigil (basic land)" card is factionless and only costs 1, so that's cheap fixing, and I THINK you get 4 copies of one of the two kinds of dual with the two-colour quest decks, for more goodness.
For the record, there's two kinds of two-influence power cards. One comes down depleted (still gives influence) unless you have a unit out, the comes down depleted unless you have a sigil in hand. You get the sigil ones for free, and the others are uncommon at worst, so again you'll probably have some lying around by the time you get into the meta, and they're cheap to buy even if you don't.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Serperoth posted:

They're pretty reasonable. A tier 1 deck can be had for ~15000 shiftstone (probably less since you'll have a bunch of the commons from the starters), which isn't too bad, and you can always farm the Gauntlet for gold/cards. Any chests you get from Gauntlet or quests and whatnot have a ~10% chance of upgrading to the next higher 'tier', so even a scrubbed Gauntlet run can give you a surprising boost.
For reference, chest tiers are as follows: Bronze (common card + ~50 gold), Silver (uncommon card + ~200 gold), Gold (one booster + ~500 gold), Crystal/Diamond (one premium/foil card + ~2000 gold). I've seen a chest go up from bronze to diamond myself so that's a nice little 2k gold boost.
There's some math for when you break even in Draft and stuff, I think it was two wins if you also count the four boosters you open?

And at any rate, no card in the game is more than 3200 shiftstone, and you'll be getting a lot of duplicates after you fill out some commons/uncommons, even if you don't destroy stuff you have but don't want/need. And those are the Legendaries, which aren't seeing huge amounts of play (with the notable exception of Sandstorm Titan, as ThePeavstenator, along with the 'rarer' Ijin, Siraf, and Deepforged Plate at a glance). Rares are important, but they're 800 shiftstone each, much more affordable.

Sandstorm Titan is a bitch though, but it's not a "play Time or get out" situation.

How do the currencies work?

Orv
May 4, 2011
As the psycho idiot that watches the Pro Tour on Twitch I am very interested in this here card games.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elblanco posted:

How do the currencies work?

So, rewards for wins in ranked, finishing a draft or a quest, etc, are chests. There are 4 tiers of chests:

Bronze chests get you ~60 gold and a random common
Silver chests get you ~250 gold and a random uncommon
Gold chests get you ~500 gold and a booster
Platinum chests get you ~2.1k gold, a booster, and a random foil.

Boosters have 200 shiftstone, 8 commons, 3 uncommons, and one rare or legendary, 1 of which may be foil, inside.

Gold can be used to enter drafts, buy boosters, or do forges. In general I recommend saving for drafts; as long as you go 2-3 or better, it's better than just buying boosters. It's harder for me to compare to forge so since I'm lazy I don't bother.

The other currency is shiftstone. Shiftstone is acquired by opening boosters or disenchanting cards a la hearthstone. It's used to construct new cards for your constructed deck. There's a convenient "Destroy Extras" button that auto-disenchants everything that you have more than 4 of, and you can disenchant other things manually.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 25, 2016

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013
Forge was pretty bad value, but I think the rewards got a little better in the last patch. Chests also have like a 10% chance of upgrading to the next level whenever they're opened. There's also daily quests that usually give out 2 silver or a gold chest that are pretty easy to complete.

There's not a ton of rng in the game outside of card drawing, maybe 7 or 8 cards? Nothing near hearthstone levels.

Also, sandstorm titan is a great card, but it's no siege rhino.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This game is cool, I just hope the first few expansions have more interesting cards in them.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

fadam posted:

This game is cool, I just hope the first few expansions have more interesting cards in them.

Set 2 is already in the works, and word around goes that it will be out along with the open beta.

Elyv posted:

So, rewards for wins in ranked, finishing a draft or a quest, etc, are chests. There are 4 tiers of chests:

Bronze chests get you ~60 gold and a random common
Silver chests get you ~250 gold and a random uncommon
Gold chests get you ~500 gold and a booster
Platinum chests get you ~2.1k gold, a booster, and a random foil.

Boosters have 200 shiftstone, 8 commons, 3 uncommons, and one rare or legendary, 1 of which may be foil, inside.

Gold can be used to enter drafts, buy boosters, or do forges. In general I recommend saving for drafts; as long as you go 2-3 or better, it's better than just buying boosters. It's harder for me to compare to forge so since I'm lazy I don't bother.

The other currency is shiftstone. Shiftstone is acquired by opening boosters or disenchanting cards a la hearthstone. It's used to construct new cards for your constructed deck. There's a convenient "Destroy Extras" button that auto-disenchants everything that you have more than 4 of, and you can disenchant other things manually.

This is pretty spot on, including the "boosters give Shiftstone" bit. So at 1000 gold per booster, and 200 shiftstone per booster, even the legendaries are no more than 16 boosters away, which is pretty much nothing when you can easily farm Forge or break even in drafts (don't be afraid to use the pick order list on rngeternal, the set review on NumotGaming got me to a 7-1).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I've been playing since yesterday and I'm digging. Anywhere you can find a list or something of must have uncommon sand rates?

Also what's the golden ratio for resources to actual cards?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DrManiac posted:

I've been playing since yesterday and I'm digging. Anywhere you can find a list or something of must have uncommon sand rates?

Also what's the golden ratio for resources to actual cards?

I've posted a couple of links to tier lists and the like, and I don't think there's a huge list of key rares and uncommons. Uncommons especially are very easy to come by (I have 98% of them, I think), and even rares you'll be getting most of just by getting golden chests or drafting (I have 72% of them, for reference).
There are a few must-have ones, especially the dual power cards (Seats and Banners), but half of those are common anyway, and five of the ten seats are in the starter decks.

Not sure what you mean by golden ratio and resources. If you mean cost-effectiveness, Gauntlet is free and if you win you get three silver chests (uncommon card + ~200 gold, discounting the chance to upgrade). In Draft you get four boosters to start with (but don't keep ALL the cards from them, just your picks), and at two wins your rewards include a gold chest (booster + ~500 gold), so that's five boosters, plus the rest of the rewards.

All cards of a rarity break down for the same shiftstone amount, and also cost the same amount of shiftstone to make, for the record.

And what's your IGN? I'm Serperoth+0787

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Very sad I missed the beta wave by two days. Game looks exactly what I am looking for.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

Very sad I missed the beta wave by two days. Game looks exactly what I am looking for.

Beta waves don't seem too infrequent, and if you have a Reddit account already, you can go over and get yourself sorted with a key soon.

Other than that, I think they sometimes give out stuff on Facebook/Twitter, but it's more of a hunch than a certainty at this point.

And there's also the Discord server here: https://discord.gg/hfsdCkD
I've been hanging around and it's a nice enough bunch.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any good decks for farming the gauntlet? that seems like the best place to go if you're too poor for draft because it's free and the rewards are pretty decent if you can finish it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How does this compare to Hex?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DrManiac posted:

Any good decks for farming the gauntlet? that seems like the best place to go if you're too poor for draft because it's free and the rewards are pretty decent if you can finish it.

I was just looking at an article on the topic the other day, on NumotGaming: http://www.numotgaming.com/seeking-power-budget-gauntlet-decks/

I made the Echoes deck myself (I had one Crown, and crafted two more, so now I'm running 3 Crowns and 1 Evolution), and while I've not got a 100% winrate, it definitely lets you go deep, especially if the draws are on your side.

And you're right, Gauntlet is a good place to get draft money, and to experience the joy that is chest upgrades. It's gotten me to the point where I have enough shiftstone to complete two top tier decks, and I've barely noticed :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

https://www.twitch.tv/serperoth

I'm live and about to do a draft or two. :D

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man the lord of the spire boss is brutal. The gimmick is everybody starts with 5 of all the influences but his deck is filled with ultra efficient champions that have super good abilities if you have the right thresholds (he does). I lost to him every time and don't see a way to beat him even with a aggro deck because he just snowballs way too fast.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DrManiac posted:

Man the lord of the spire boss is brutal. The gimmick is everybody starts with 5 of all the influences but his deck is filled with ultra efficient champions that have super good abilities if you have the right thresholds (he does). I lost to him every time and don't see a way to beat him even with a aggro deck because he just snowballs way too fast.

Oh wow that sounds rough, I don't remember coming across from him. The Champions aren't too impressive in a vacuum but if you can reliably get their stuff (like he can) they can be a beating.

New month, new season, by the way. I was up to Silver III in Ranked, so now with the full Jito deck I think I can make stuff happen if I have the time. Rakano Warcry is even better, apparently.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
FInally just got my beta invite, so everyone else, keep an eye on your inbox, they are sending them out.

Downloading now, will be in as Hypnofist+9603

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maaaan, I really wanted in but I got nothing. :(

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elblanco posted:

FInally just got my beta invite, so everyone else, keep an eye on your inbox, they are sending them out.

Downloading now, will be in as Hypnofist+9603

You might get an invite for a friend soon, so keep an eye out for that too.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Nothing yet. Hopefully I get one, I'm pretty excited to play this game but I also feel like I'm going to forget about it in a week if I don't get in.

edit: Nevermind, got one, hooray!

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 4, 2016

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It's lame how the rewards diminish as you level up in the forge/gauntlet. Before master I got a gold chest with a pack for every perfect run, now it's all silver chests.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I played the first tutorial match and this seems pretty polished. Maybe the animations aren't as 'flashy' as Hearthstone but I'll take substance over style any day.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

First come first serve on my extra key

2cebe04c-cfe7-4da0-b9af-4db719aa413d

The Aquabot
Sep 25, 2004

DrManiac posted:

First come first serve on my extra key

2cebe04c-cfe7-4da0-b9af-4db719aa413d

Nabbed this, thanks heaps!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

I played the first tutorial match and this seems pretty polished. Maybe the animations aren't as 'flashy' as Hearthstone but I'll take substance over style any day.

Yeah the game is much lighter on the animations from what I've seen. There's a few cards that do have an animation, and for the rest it's just 'normal' stuff (Warcry's little thing, Echo spawning a new card, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I will say that the last game in the campaign is a huge pain in the rear end. I ended up having to google a deck list to get through it. It was a fire/time token deck. It seriously took me 10 tries to finish it. I'm so glad I don't have to do it again.