Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Mort the Chicken

Mort the Chicken is a 3d platformer for the PS1 that is nothing like its contemporaries. It's not open-world, at least not open open (Mario 64, Rocket Robot on Wheels), it doesn't have mechanics that reinvent the genre's standards or create deep challenges, (Glover, Chameleon Twist 1/2), but... it does have presentation nailed down. The game feels more like a made-for-DVD surrealistic kids flick than an actual game, for better or worse. That's not to say the gameplay is abhorrent or joyless, but it's not something anyone would expect to see when they hear "3D platforming".

I'm going to be speeding through the game showing off elite, expert runs of each stage, by which I mean ignoring all the "for points" collectibles and only fulfilling the goals required to complete the game.

Videos

Maybe it's okay to be brave.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I hope you continue to do LPs of weird/weirdly good obscure games.

This game's presentation...certainly is something. Looking forward to actually watching this LP since I have no desire to play this game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Genocyber posted:

I hope you continue to do LPs of weird/weirdly good obscure games.

This game's presentation...certainly is something. Looking forward to actually watching this LP since I have no desire to play this game.

I feel like it would be difficult to recommend this game to anyone. Even the intended age group would probably get stuck on the second to last level. But that's why it's perfect for Let's Play.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
This is weird. But fascinatingly weird. Can't wait to see the rest!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GooCubelets

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Huh, apparently the creative direction and story for this game came from the creator of Ecco the Dolphin.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Man Dancer posted:

Huh, apparently the creative direction and story for this game came from the creator of Ecco the Dolphin.

You know, considering he also had a hand in Mr. Bones, I can see that

Zushio
May 8, 2008
What a strange little game. Also going right for the goal and ignorong collectibles and side stuff is know as following the critical path.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Carl is smart and always right and he has nothing to prove to anyone

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I get the feeling that this is like the Grow Home game Thornbrain is LPing right now in that someone was screwing around and they realized that it could be sold as a game for kids and so made it goofy on purpose.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We learn Mort's superhero origins in this video

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Space!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Wait, so Mort got his chicken super(?)powers by being strapped to a rocket sled going 500mph? Seems like he'd need to already be super to survive that.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I really wish this had been a TV series. I love the cutscenes.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

bbcisdabomb posted:

Wait, so Mort got his chicken super(?)powers by being strapped to a rocket sled going 500mph? Seems like he'd need to already be super to survive that.

Bravery is a superpower all on its own

Shoeless posted:

I really wish this had been a TV series. I love the cutscenes.

I wonder what format that would even take

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Bare in mind that Mort's backstory is presumably based on the story of John Stapp and other similar experiments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4tuvOer_GI

The fact that it gave Mort superpowers might as well be the plot from a Silver Age origin story comic.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Bare in mind that Mort's backstory is presumably based on the story of John Stapp and other similar experiments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4tuvOer_GI

The fact that it gave Mort superpowers might as well be the plot from a Silver Age origin story comic.

Mort the Chicken should've gotten a comic adaptation while we're at it

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I wonder what format that would even take

I'm not entirely sure. Probably something with Cubicles and the Cubes constantly scheming to get the chicks, and all the chickens never understand why any of this is happening or what's going on. I imagine the bits dealing with Mort and the kidnappings (chicknappings?) would be relatively short, and the main focus would be on the news channel, which would be used as a framing device for everything, excepting speeches by Cubicles to his loyal citizens.

Alternately, a skit-type show might do better. Edit: On further thinking, I think a sketch show like All That would work best.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 25, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite cutscene so far was
Chicken Little: "Where do the Nuggets Come from?"
Professor: :supaburn:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I can't remember which cutscene, but in one of them, it's possible to hear the jazzercise video playing faintly in Carl's office

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
What are the chicks saying when you pick them up? It sounds a bit like "Hi, Mort!," but I can't trust my ears.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Man Dancer posted:

What are the chicks saying when you pick them up? It sounds a bit like "Hi, Mort!," but I can't trust my ears.

I actually don't know either, I always assumed it was gibberish

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

This game is kinda eh, but those cutscenes are fantastic.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Esoteric Banana posted:

This game is kinda eh, but those cutscenes are fantastic.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd recommend it to anybody

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Man Dancer posted:

That's what I had been hearing too.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Final Curtain

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I guess Cubicles shouldn't have

counted his chickens before they hatched

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
They just don't make games like Mort the Chicken anymore. Maybe that's for the best. Thanks for showing this off!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MonstrousMouse posted:

They just don't make games like Mort the Chicken anymore. Maybe that's for the best. Thanks for showing this off!
Something like this one?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/359250/

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
This is the kind of weird, obscure game that would've done well back in the day when Blockbuster rentals were a thing.

Thanks for showing it off.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

This is the kind of weird, obscure game that would've done well back in the day when Blockbuster rentals were a thing.

Thanks for showing it off.

Ah, but you see... it's not an N64 game. And there is this unwritten rule that only Nintendo 64 games may be rented from a Blockbuster, ever.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, but you see... it's not an N64 game. And there is this unwritten rule that only Nintendo 64 games may be rented from a Blockbuster, ever.

I don't understand. I rented many a PS2 game from Blockbuster in my day.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Shoeless posted:

I don't understand. I rented many a PS2 game from Blockbuster in my day.

I'm making a joke about their N64 exclusives

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Blockbuster may have had N64 exclusives, as well as those printer kiosks for Pokémon Snap, but the N64 wasn't the only platform you could rent games for. I remember renting Ape Escape at Blockbuster years ago only because I got very close to finishing it before it had to be returned and I wanted to play it again ever since.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

No one said it was a very clever joke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

No one said it was a very clever joke!

Let's call in our expert, Carl Cockerel, to see if he can explain this mystery joke to us.

• Locked thread