Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

gonna imprism that octopus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I hate how they say Celes like "celestial" instead of Celes like "Celesbian". That said, her voice is pretty spot on, so good for them. It seems modern dubs are actually good now.

EDIT: I could have used a better example, true, but if you don't pronounce it "Celez" you're a plebian.

EDIT: Cid should always be voiced as/by an old man though, what the hell. I don't care if they're actually young, Cid should ALWAYS have an old man voice, even if he's a robot.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 25, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiedus
Celez

:colbert:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I really need to stop watching those boss fight vids, they're spoiling everything. That said, Cloud's VA needs to cheer up. Like come on man, you did good in Crisis Core, you can show more emotion than "stoic, disinterested soldier man". It's almost like you had bad voice direction or something!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gologle posted:

Hey wait a minute, all the FF characters are only summons, aren't they? You can only use monsters in your party, right?
Gilgamesh is a gentleman in body and spirit.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Say-leez

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Strangely I also find this acceptable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, review embargo is up if you want to go look for WoFF reviews.

My general feeling on it is that it's a solid game that suffers from some noticeable budget issues. It's clearly a B-team game and it shows, but it's also a B-team game that has a lot of pretty interesting things going on. It's not very hard as most FF games aren't but the Stacking system offers you a lot of flexibility and customization when it comes to combat options and there are some genuine good boss fights which encourage you to come up with a good stack. The plot is 90% goofiness and then veers off into *insane* melodrama for the last 10% in a way I suspect will be pretty divisive. There's a lot of content, including some post-game content that only unlocks once you've beaten the final boss once, but everything about about the 90% mark of the game involves a lot of noticeable budget-crunching so I'm not sure how big it'll appeal to people.

It's basically a solid B game in every sense of the word. It looks like a good chunk of the reviews I see already were more positive about it then I ended up being so YMMV. I'll try to answer any questions people have about it now that I can actually do so.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 25, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Considering the game starts with two wake up sequences, I'm not surprised it's a little melodramatic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gologle posted:

I hate how they say Celes like "celestial" instead of Celes like "Celesbian". That said, her voice is pretty spot on, so good for them. It seems modern dubs are actually good now.

I checked out the Faris boss fight because I am horribly biased, and the casting there is pretty solid too.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

"Tee-dah", if you want to be moon language purist.

also, Sell-is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Here. This, more than anything, will let you know if you like WoFF or not:

Is this great or terrible? Let your heart decide.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The real Squall would never have such fresh moves.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Here. This, more than anything, will let you know if you like WoFF or not:

Is this great or terrible? Let your heart decide.

What if I think it's both? :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

What if I think it's both? :ohdear:

Pick a side, Sakurazuka, there's no room for fence sitters in the World of Final Fantasy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

The real Squall would never have such fresh moves.

He is canonically good at dancing.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
From everything I have seen with WoFF, I already am hoping they make a sequel. I just want Final Fantasy characters interacting with each other forever. Also if the sequel was more of a Record Keeper thing as well in that you build a party of FF characters instead of just summoning them that also would be cool too.

ImpAtom posted:

It's basically a solid B game in every sense of the word. It looks like a good chunk of the reviews I see already were more positive about it then I ended up being so YMMV. I'll try to answer any questions people have about it now that I can actually do so.

Do you think the whole B game feeling could be coming from it being made for the Vita and presumably ported/upgraded for the PS4?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black Mage Knight posted:

Do you think the whole B game feeling could be coming from it being made for the Vita and presumably ported/upgraded for the PS4?

I think it comes from obviously having a very small budget.There are a few places it's obvious they wanted to do more and just couldn't. They do a lot with what they have and they genuinely try to avoid leaving things feeling too unsatisfying but there are a few things where it's clear they just did not have the time and budget to make it work. (The game's implementation of "airship" is laughable for example.)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

He feels more like the option characters of older games. I think I could appreciate Amarant more if he had more time but by the time you get him, the game is almost over. This gives me no desire to slot him into the party as I've already spent dozens of hours with the other characters and their play style.

Huh thinking about it he totally feels like an optional character that they just decided should be mandatory at some point during development. That makes his arc a lot easier to understand.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ImpAtom posted:

I think it comes from obviously having a very small budget.There are a few places it's obvious they wanted to do more and just couldn't. They do a lot with what they have and they genuinely try to avoid leaving things feeling too unsatisfying but there are a few things where it's clear they just did not have the time and budget to make it work. (The game's implementation of "airship" is laughable for example.)

I don't think WoFF had a very small budget. You don't get that many voice actors in multiple languages for a tiny budget, for one thing.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Speaking of WoFF VA's, I thought I recognized Edgar's voice from somewhere and it turns out he also was the voice of L in Xenoblade X. The funnier thing is that he also is Noctis in FF15.

We are well in the realms of FF characters sharing VA's now. Faris' VA for example also does Y'shtola.

EDIT: Okay so it turns out that Snow becoming bros with Gilgamesh is all I ever wanted from a FF game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLngEeAMbLY

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 25, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

I don't think WoFF had a very small budget. You don't get that many voice actors in multiple languages for a tiny budget, for one thing.

Sure you can. There are games with way, way, way lower budgets than WoFF that have voice acting in multiple languages. Like half of Compile Heart's stuff.

Voice acting in games at the moment doesn't cost anywhere as much as it should and even low-budget titles are able to afford a fairly robust cast (even if said robust cast tends to be the same 10 people across games.) There are plenty of low-budget JRPGs with fairly diverse voice acting casts. (I'm also playing Exist Archive at the moment which pretty clearly skimps on almost everything that isn't voice acting.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 25, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably how they got the voices for WoFF so cheap, that's guys in for something else? Hey can you just do five lines for this other game we have while you're here....

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Serafie the giant weeb, loving it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ImpAtom posted:

Sure you can. There are games with way, way, way lower budgets than WoFF that have voice acting in multiple languages. Like half of Compile Heart's stuff.

Voice acting in games at the moment doesn't cost anywhere as much as it should and even low-budget titles are able to afford a fairly robust cast (even if said robust cast tends to be the same 10 people across games.) There are plenty of low-budget JRPGs with fairly diverse voice acting casts. (I'm also playing Exist Archive at the moment which pretty clearly skimps on almost everything that isn't voice acting.)

It's a fully voiced game with over 40 hours of content featuring more than a dozen high-end voice actors in each of two languages. It's not cheap to do that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If Idea Factory can afford to dub all their cheap-rear end Compile Heart games anyone can.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

It's a fully voiced game with over 40 hours of content featuring more than a dozen high-end voice actors in each of two languages. It's not cheap to do that.

Okay? And I'm saying that you're exaggerating both the quality of the voice actors (the bulk of whom are the Generic Anime Voice Actors in both languages) and the actual amount of lines those characters have. I'd say around 70% of the games lines from from Lann, Reynn or Tama.

Again, there are a bunch of low-budget JRPGs on the market which have Japanese and English voice acting available, and there are certainly low-to-mid-tier JRPGs which have a lot more voice acting that WoFF does. Voice acting is not like *cheap* but the idea that a game having a lot of voice actors means it has a large budget is easily disproven in a bunch of ways.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 25, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I named Celes Celes, which I pronounced Celes

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

corn in the bible posted:

I named Celes Celes, which I pronounced Celes

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
About 90 minutes in and WoFF is quite fun. I really dig the general goofiness and light-hearted feel of the game, though being a JRPG I totally understand if the ending turns into melodrama. Looking forward to catching more pokemon mirages tomorrow!

ImpAtom, you can probably answer this: what kind of benefit is there in catching multiples of the same mirage? I know I'm really early on so this may become more apparent later, but is it just a matter of stats or...?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoren posted:

ImpAtom, you can probably answer this: what kind of benefit is there in catching multiples of the same mirage? I know I'm really early on so this may become more apparent later, but is it just a matter of stats or...?

Having multiple of the same mirages is important for a few reasons:

A) Obviously you can equip the same Mirage in multiple slots. (So Lann and Reynn can share the same mirage)
B) When you max a Mirage Board out you're forced to pick a single bonus for that Mirage from a list, which is a permanent choice. A second of that mirage can be given a different bonus. (However this bonus isn't shared between Mirage Boards which is a bit easier.)
C) Most mirages have multiple evolution paths and if you have more than one you can use those different evolutions or pallet-swaps at the same time.

That said I never overly bothered with it. I kept two of Magitek Armor leveled up because I liked it a lot but otherwise never felt a big need to double up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 25, 2016

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Does the Vita version run like rear end? I'm torn between spending sixty or forty bucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Machine posted:

Does the Vita version run like rear end? I'm torn between spending sixty or forty bucks.

People seem to say it's really not a great port. The PS4 version had really long load times so I can't imagine how bad it is on the Vita. On the other hand $20 is $20.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Well gently caress. At least I can get that Amazon Prime discount...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Getting an SSHD for my PS4 way back at launch once again proves to be a worthy purchase. My load times in WoFF never go more than 3 seconds and going more than 1 is rare.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

If Idea Factory can afford to dub all their cheap-rear end Compile Heart games anyone can.

Which is amazing considering their niche (anime nerds) shout to high heavens about how much the English VAs sucks and they prefer to Japanese voices. I guess they had to spend money on something since they reuse assets across all their games.

E: I'm talking about Neptunia specifically but I'm sure it applies to all their stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's another probably fairly equal group who will refuse to buy anything that doesn't have a dub, so they can't really lose out as long as they give people both options.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually trying think of which companies don't bother with dubs at all and it's not many, K-T very rarely bother dubbing their Musou/strategy titles but will for other things they publish, Sega never bother with Yakuza after the first one, Nintendo didn't with TMS...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Something kind of surprising in WoFF is that every character line is dubbed, even just regular towns people. They're not poorly done either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

one of my buddies still pronounces it see-leez