Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

HATECUBE posted:

I just need to say

I reinstalled re6 to give it another shot. got to the gun shop in Leon campaign and just gave up on the roof.

I don't need this. I don't need 8 zombies running around like idiots throwing qte events at me every 30sec. I don't need another bullet sponge miniboss to flail around and take all my health.

none of this belongs in my survival horror franchise. no thanks

uninstalled

What? This was like the best part of the game. It's not difficult in the slightest once you know where the baddies are going to spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Mogomra posted:

What? This was like the best part of the game. It's not difficult in the slightest once you know where the baddies are going to spawn.

Gotta agree. out of all the bits in RE6 that had the least of my complaints and actually felt like a horror game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is only horror if you fight zombies that come at you single file in a hallway

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Different strokes for different folks

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

HATECUBE posted:

I just need to say

I reinstalled re6 to give it another shot. got to the gun shop in Leon campaign and just gave up on the roof.

I don't need this. I don't need 8 zombies running around like idiots throwing qte events at me every 30sec. I don't need another bullet sponge miniboss to flail around and take all my health.

none of this belongs in my survival horror franchise. no thanks

uninstalled
Please tell us all that this is a sarcastic post. If not, then I know it's incredibly bad form to just say "git gud" in response to this sort of thing but really there's not much else to say. Playing solo? Which difficulty? The "Whopper" zombie is probably the only remotely tricky bit, and even that's not so bad compared to some of the other stuff in the rest of the game!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is only horror if you fight zombies that come at you single file in a hallway
They've been doing it wrong ever since RE2! Those bastards can't get anything right! MUH SURVIVAL HORRER.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
really though, there is no shame in being very bad at games and preferring a less stressful experience. if a video game frustrates you, who needs that hassle? it isn't like overcoming such a challenge constitutes an actual achievement. lower the difficulty setting or find a different game you actually enjoy instead.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It could just be that he doesn't enjoy the game enough to become better at it. Not everyone is going to like RE6.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
As someone who kinda liked RE6 I'm baffled at how many apologists it has, since it's kinda not great and the decision to split its narrative up to offer a different Resident Evil to different Resident Evil fans served to just kinda make everything feel really watered-down and half-assed, and I'm not sure it even worked as intended? Like my favorite Resident Evil is the REmake, and in 6 I was left with the impression that Leon's campaign was the "classic RE style~" option, so you'd think I'd gravitate toward that, but the only campaign I found myself truly enjoying was Chris and Piers

Also Chris is the best character for REmake because he's cool and good, Jill is for baby losers who hate fun

Also also Revelations 2 is really fun? So far anyway, me and my girlfriend are trucking through it in split-screen and it's a riot - in a lot of ways I feel like Rev2 is arguably designed to match experienced RE players with their SOs or younger siblings or whatever, because I honestly cannot imagine being Moira myself, I'd get bored and try to crowbar my way through a crowd of bad guys instead of dutifully shining that light... but she eats that poo poo up and seems to enjoy having fewer "shoot the mans" responsibilities, since she's normally not into console shooting games at all

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

It could just be that he doesn't enjoy the game enough to become better at it. Not everyone is going to like RE6.

i wasn't being sarcastic. i was speaking from experience because i am very bad at video games.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Policenaut posted:

Two new World of Resident Evil 7 videos are out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLDWt4ihlbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrsFgTtoGjU

So I guess the Family are like Shibito except they're American hillbilly swamp people instead of Japanese hillbilly village people? Kinda weird.

They're doing a terrible job at showing how this game actually plays. Vids like this would've been fine early on, to show us "Hey, you can craft things!" or "This is what fighting enemies looks like", but we're months after the announcement and the pacing of the game is still kind of a mystery. They showed us one trailer that was a couple minutes long, but it didn't have any combat in it and you were hiding from one person, so unless the entire game is like that, I still can't tell you if it looks any good or not.

I want to like this game, but they just aren't doing a very good job convincing me it isn't just gonna be aping off other series.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

As someone who kinda liked RE6 I'm baffled at how many apologists it has, since it's kinda not great and the decision to split its narrative up to offer a different Resident Evil to different Resident Evil fans served to just kinda make everything feel really watered-down and half-assed, and I'm not sure it even worked as intended? Like my favorite Resident Evil is the REmake, and in 6 I was left with the impression that Leon's campaign was the "classic RE style~" option, so you'd think I'd gravitate toward that, but the only campaign I found myself truly enjoying was Chris and Piers

I liked Leon's campaign the most out of the 3 when I wasn't stuck in endless catacombs, caves, and rundown labs - chaotic zombie gunfight in the two cities was actually kind of fun. I thought Chris/Piers and Jake/Sherry were fine when it was mostly fighting but I could have definitely done without the driving segments and the quasi-stealth escape sequence that Jake/Sherry have to go through. And I feel like I have to say this every time I'm saying that I had fun playing RE6 but I was most definitely playing in co-op and no I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I was playing it alone.

guts and bolts posted:

Also also Revelations 2 is really fun? So far anyway, me and my girlfriend are trucking through it in split-screen and it's a riot - in a lot of ways I feel like Rev2 is arguably designed to match experienced RE players with their SOs or younger siblings or whatever, because I honestly cannot imagine being Moira myself, I'd get bored and try to crowbar my way through a crowd of bad guys instead of dutifully shining that light... but she eats that poo poo up and seems to enjoy having fewer "shoot the mans" responsibilities, since she's normally not into console shooting games at all

On the other hand Rev2 is great solo or in co-op.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

i wasn't being sarcastic. i was speaking from experience because i am very bad at video games.

Yeah, I beat RE6 when it came out and then I bought it again on PS4. Got to Edonia? on Chris's campaign, got shot a bunch and just quit. Despite me beating it before, I just lost all interest after that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

guts and bolts posted:

Also Chris is the best character for REmake because he's cool and good, Jill is for baby losers who hate fun

Because with RE7 coming out, RE6 is now considered good, I'm sure a few months from now people will be calling it a misunderstood gem.

I actually like RE6, it gets a lot better when you realize you only use your gun to set up melee attacks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I'm playing Revelations 1 (PS3 Version).

I just cleared the end of chapter 2, but apparently I missed an upgrade or something in the very last room before ending the chapter and saving over my file. Am I screwed out of it now?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Alteisen posted:

Because with RE7 coming out, RE6 is now considered good, I'm sure a few months from now people will be calling it a misunderstood gem.

I actually like RE6, it gets a lot better when you realize you only use your gun to set up melee attacks.

RE6 Mercenaries was the poo poo. Quickshots and haymakers all dayyy.

The campaign though? Yuck

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Raxivace posted:

So I'm playing Revelations 1 (PS3 Version).

I just cleared the end of chapter 2, but apparently I missed an upgrade or something in the very last room before ending the chapter and saving over my file. Am I screwed out of it now?
Yes, but I wouldn't worry about it. Upgrades acquired so early on amount to poo poo you just end up replacing a few chapters later anyway. In other words, there are plenty of better upgrades along the way.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

really though, there is no shame in being very bad at games and preferring a less stressful experience. if a video game frustrates you, who needs that hassle?

I got to admit I uninstalled BF5 last night for just this reason. I used to be ungodly good at the series in the halcyon days of BF2, but I've gotten progressively worse as I get older, slower, and have less time to spend on games. After my zillionth time spawning, running forward a few steps, and then instantly getting sniped through four or five trees by a guy I couldn't even see, I decided that whether the game was fair or not, it just wasn't fun anymore.

"It's not fun for me" is a perfectly legitimate reason to dislike a game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

guts and bolts posted:

You seem to be implying that this is not the correct way to play...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the crowbar is very powerful. heck, so are bricks though there are never enough of them around.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Alteisen posted:

Hasn't it been this way since 4? Leon S. Kennedy: Suplexing zombie-likes since 2005.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the key to combat in RE4 5 and 6 is that your handgun is only there to set up your unstoppable kung-fu powers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This is the part where I admit I'm dead inside. I've played 4 5 and 6 focusing on shooting man's more than wrestling man's and I've had fun every time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Yes, but I wouldn't worry about it. Upgrades acquired so early on amount to poo poo you just end up replacing a few chapters later anyway. In other words, there are plenty of better upgrades along the way.
Alright, that's good to know.

I'm liking Rev 1 so far but it does feel a bit stiff after playing through RE6. I suppose that should be expected from a port of a 3DS game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the key to combat in RE4 5 and 6 is that your handgun is only there to set up your unstoppable kung-fu powers.

I've been trying to work my way through The Evil Within and the melee system is so disappointing. I would be better off trying to hit enemies with a cardboard tube.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Len posted:

I've played 4 5 and 6 focusing on shooting man's more than wrestling man's and I've had fun every time.
You're not the only one. As useful as it is to steam in and punch/kick/suplex the gently caress out of almost anything which isn't a boss when opportunity presents itself, for the most part I prefer just shooting all the usual fodder-tier stuff until/unless ammo is a problem (or they're right next to me and already set up to get their head smashed into a wall, etc.). The monks in RE4 are probably the only enemies I'll make a point of constantly setting up for melee attacks; there's just something so insanely satisfying about suplexing one of those raspy chanting fools. That and it's endlessly amusing to see Super Agent Kennedy doing lethal wrestling moves on weird men in weird robes without ever tiring.

Raxivace posted:

I'm liking Rev 1 so far but it does feel a bit stiff after playing through RE6. I suppose that should be expected from a port of a 3DS game.
It's a good game, but I know what you mean. Thankfully it becomes nowhere near as hectic as RE6 or even RE5 so the stiffness doesn't become too much of an issue, although one boss in particular had me literally chewing my loving controller up on Infernal. I still haven't passed that fight on that difficulty; I can't use that loving evade manouevre for poo poo :negative:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Hasn't it been this way since 4? Leon S. Kennedy: Suplexing zombie-likes since 2005.

Yea but its way more prevalent in 6.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
When I've talked Resident Evil in the past with friends I'm always this contrarian dude to them because I think RE5 is really good and that RE4 is middling and inconsistent, but I actually generally like Resident Evil games and don't like getting into the cyclical pessimism that seems to arise with every new game announced ("New game!" -> "Maybe it'll be good?" -> "Nevermind, <thing> looks wrong/boring/bad, gently caress RE games for life")

So I'm tentatively excited for Resident Evil 7? It looks like it might be pretty neat-o if executed properly so that's cool, and I like the idea of a more intimate story with more immediately personal consequences

RE1 and REmake work so effectively for me because the whole conspiracy angle is there, and you can find out about Umbrella and their dastardly ways and blah blah, but ultimately you get the impression that even the characters themselves don't care about that poo poo (yet) and are solely focused on survival - it makes the stakes feel more real, so when even non-characters like Richard die you feel a little something, as every dead STARS member reduces your own chances of making it

RE6 makes the stakes feel less consequential even as, like, planes crash and buildings blow up and poo poo, because it feels like the heroes just are too used to their circumstances or ultimately don't care about that truck full of Chinese people who just died

RE and RE2 are about regular people put in extraordinarily bad situations and forced to overcome this horrible poo poo, and the conspiracy nonsense adds a surreal element to the proceedings instead of being the focal point ("why does a police station have traps in it???"); REs 5 and 6 especially seem to focus on the ~overarching plot~ which is super hamhanded and repetitive and I don't really care about it at all

What I'm saying is that I'm hoping RE7 just stays personal and smaller-scale

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's a good game, but I know what you mean. Thankfully it becomes nowhere near as hectic as RE6 or even RE5 so the stiffness doesn't become too much of an issue, although one boss in particular had me literally chewing my loving controller up on Infernal. I still haven't passed that fight on that difficulty; I can't use that loving evade manouevre for poo poo :negative:
It feels a bit hectic where I'm at now. I'm having trouble with the first actual boss, this MAYDAY MAYDAY MAAAAYYYYDAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY guy.

If it were just him I could deal with it, but he brought like five infinitely respawning friends to the fight. Doesn't help that Jill's running speed in this game feels equivalent to her walking speed in REmake.

EDIT: Found the sniper rifle and then beat him on the next try. The time honored tradition of winning at video games right after complaining about them helps yet another goon. :)

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 26, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

guts and bolts posted:

What I'm saying is that I'm hoping RE7 just stays personal and smaller-scale

I'd like that. It's not like the whole global threat and impact of events could actually escalate any further in a meaningful way after what we got in RE5 and RE6 anyway; scaling down a bit with it all would actually be refreshing. Worked wonders for Revelations 2.

Raxivace posted:

The time honored tradition of winning at video games right after complaining about them helps yet another goon. :)
Ah, the Scagdead. A lovely encounter for first-timers. Now if only I could complain hard enough for whatever videogame gods there are to hear my whining :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ah, the Scagdead. A lovely encounter for first-timers. Now if only I could complain hard enough for whatever videogame gods there are to hear my whining :smith:
I'm sure if you keep trying you shall eventually succeed. :)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Speaking of RE 6 I just bought it on PS4 thanks to the halloween sale so I have a few questions for you guys. I remember a chapter order that allowed you to play the story more or less in chronological order. My google-fu powers dug this up:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada Campaign

Does this seem coherent to you guys and is it more interesting to play the campaign in that order ?

- I remember reading in this thread that the control scheme was actually a lot more complex than it looked and allowed for a lot of cool hidden stuff, especially with melee combat. Is there a guide that sums that up by any chance ?
- I also remember some people advising playing certain characters for certain campaigns for solo play, like Chris rather than Piers I think. Is that correct ?

Thanks in advance ! :)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Off the top of my head, there are a couple of bits in Chris's campaign where if you're playing solo, you may have an easier time as Piers. He has a better sniper rifle available from the start and is occasionally called upon to use it.

The biggest problem with a chronological run through RE6's levels in order is that by doing it, you're going to play the same level twice, since both Jake and Chris's games have the same boss fight at one point. It also becomes a largely academic distinction as the games converge in China. I don't think you gain anything from a chronological run.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aside from playing ada's campaign last the order doesn't really matter.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rev 1 continues to be a weirdass game. Previous RE games ripped off famous horror movies and games and were all the better for it, and Rev 1 rips off Dan Brown's Inferno. Dunno what the thought process was there, exactly.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I never liked chronological runs of RE6 partly because of the tedium, as above, but mostly because the scenarios are laid out with plot setups and payoffs that get kinda ruined when you play outside of whole campaign run-throughs.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Rev 1 continues to be a weirdass game. Previous RE games ripped off famous horror movies and games and were all the better for it, and Rev 1 rips off Dan Brown's Inferno. Dunno what the thought process was there, exactly.

Because nothing besides Dan Brown's Inferno has drawn inspiration from Dante's eight-hundred-year-old Divine Comedy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wanderer posted:

Because nothing besides Dan Brown's Inferno has drawn inspiration from Dante's eight-hundred-year-old Divine Comedy.
Dan Brown's Inferno features a strange masked terrorist who makes cryptic viral videos about Dante as a part of his plan to unleash a manufactured virus onto the planet. I've so far spent Rev 1 chasing after a strange masked terrorist who makes cryptic viral videos about Dante as a part of his plan to unleash a manufactured virus onto the planet.

That's awfully similar, is all I'm saying.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Dan Brown's Inferno features a strange masked terrorist who makes cryptic viral videos about Dante as a part of his plan to unleash a manufactured virus onto the planet. I've so far spent Rev 1 chasing after a strange masked terrorist who makes cryptic viral videos about Dante as a part of his plan to unleash a manufactured virus onto the planet.

That's awfully similar, is all I'm saying.

You made me go and look. Revelations was initially released on the 3DS in January of 2012. Inferno was released in May of 2013.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Interesting. I thought Brown's book was a few years older but it seems I remembered wrong. Still odd that that they have such a specific similarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'll give up on the chronological playthrough.

I remembered someone doing an awesome LP of RE6 but couldn't find them because they changed their av, turns out it was Lunethex. A bit of digging helped me find the rest of what I was looking for. So if anyone else is looking for the same kind of info, just dig up Lunethex's posts in this thread, real goldmine. :)

edit: link to the LP in question : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2gg5K4U_Yc

Sassy Sasquatch fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 28, 2016