Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
The CX-5 was definitely the best to drive by far of the CUV segment cars I drove. However, I then realized I still hated the elevated driving position and went with a used TSX Wagon. If the only thing you need is the storage space increase over a hatchback/sedan, I'd highly recommend it if you can find one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

nm posted:

No RAV4 in history has a "cool factor." Even when the v6 Rav4 the fastest car toyota made.

If you want a RAV4, go for it I guess -- there's absolutely nothing wrong with them, but the real question isn't what are you getting for the money for the hybrid, but what are you getting for the money over a Prius, which is cheaper, gets better FE, likely more reliable and better resale. They also hold a ton of poo poo.
Unless you live in the country where they don't plow, you don't need AWD (toyota has poo poo AWD anyhow) and ground clearance, you need winter tires.

To be honest the Prius has crossed my mind as well... I think I will look at that vehicle as well at the very least.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The RAV-4 might be the fourth or fifth best car in its segment and it looks like poo poo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The RAV-4 might be the fourth or fifth best car in its segment and it looks like poo poo.

What else is ahead of it? The CRV is a better pure utility appliance vehicle, the CX5 drives better and has a nicer interior, but.... what else is there? The Escape is really cramped inside and if you get the big engine it drinks gas. GM's small crossovers are such poo poo that I see lease deals for them under $200/mo with 0 down 0 first payment. I'm not sure what Nissan's option is. The Juke?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

What else is ahead of it?

The Nissan Rogue, Hyundai Tucson, and Kia Sportage are also in the segment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Forester is better, as are the Korean twins, in addition to the CX-5 and the CR-V.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Forester is better, as are the Korean twins, in addition to the CX-5 and the CR-V.

Yup, forgot about the Forester and the Koreans. I've been in a Rogue and had forgotten about it because it seems like the definition of mediocrity.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I had a Rogue rental car once. It was bad. Not chrysler 200 bad though.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What's bad about the 200? It's certainly bland from a branding perspective, but the exterior styling is decent as are the professional reviews. 184 HP on the lowest trim engine (2.4L I4) sounds nice.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Imagine your posting, but Chrysler made them into cars.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I friend of mine had his parents buy him a brand new 2.7L Sebring as his first car, and the engine seized before 80,000 miles. Now he has a life-long expectation that cars can't last past 100k miles, and refuses to consider high mileage cars because they're all time bombs ready to blow at any second.

I've tried to tell him no, it's only Chryslers, but the damage is done.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Michael Scott posted:

What's bad about the 200? It's certainly bland from a branding perspective, but the exterior styling is decent as are the professional reviews. 184 HP on the lowest trim engine (2.4L I4) sounds nice.

This should probably be self evident but it's made by Fiat-Chrysler.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

They are shockingly bad to drive. Rented one in NJ for a week and nearly died leaving the airport taking a turn which my civic wouldn't have blinked. My dad commented "so chrysler is still as good as they ever were..." The thing just slips and slides around. Car was practically new.

ABombpk
Jul 31, 2013
Tell me good/bad about the Chevy Trax.

Wife wants to buy one this week and we're about to have our first kid. She is set on this case and I want to know what she is getting into.

Also, any threads or advise on car loans? Dealership sourced vs. Something else?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Imagine your posting, but Chrysler made them into cars.

This, and ~180hp can still be damned slow given enough weight to haul, a transmission that doesn't know what the gently caress, and a PCM that is trying to save fuel at all costs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ABombpk posted:

Wife wants to buy one this week and we're about to have our first kid. She is set on this case and I want to know what she is getting into.

Also, any threads or advise on car loans? Dealership sourced vs. Something else?

Always secure your own financing then see what the dealership can do for you.. either way you know what you have going in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chrysler 200 in a nutshell:

Plus:
Actually a fairly decent chassis and ride. Tolerable interior, decent exterior styling. Uconnect is shockingly good.

Minus:
Interior is badly laid out and back seat is tight. Drives heavily with numb steering. Engine is lackluster and does not get advertised fuel economy. Visibility is mediocre. Transmission programming is dismal.

Unknown/Minus:
Made by Fiat-Chrysler.

Supposedly they have fixed most of the problems with the transmission. I wouldn't buy one used, but at Avenger/Old 200 transaction prices it's not the worst possible buy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ABombpk posted:

Why a Trax? It's small, so it's not like it's a great baby machine. If you want a tiny SUV the Mazda CX-3 is quite a bit better. If you want a normal car, the Mazda3 is quite a bit better, and the Ford Focus hatch is good and cheap and offers pretty decent interior room.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
We got a couple of Chrysler 200's for our fleet, and Kyoon is dead-on, the engine feels like a slug 75% of the time, and the transmission is programmed to actively sabotage what little power the motor does make. It's also pretty agricultural-feeling, but at least it feels better than the older 2.4 in regards to NVH.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Three-Phase posted:

- NiMH battery (not lithium ion)
- Sluggish in Eco mode
- Costs about $32-33k after fees and taxes

I think I'm going to get it.
Comments?

The hybrid isn't an EV, the only advantage to LiOn batteries would be a minuscule weight saving because the battery is much smaller than the one on an pure electric vehicle. It's not really a reason to not buy it.

The price difference probably isn't that big, the hybrid usually adds some more extra cost features as part of the trim level, and you'll get more in resale. SUVs are probably going to have better resale than sedans the way things are going these days.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is Trax much cheaper than Rav4, CRV or MX 3/5? Because why would you want one?

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

I Love Topanga posted:

Proposed Budget: $25,000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: SUV (Currently thinking Nissa Pathfinder, Mazda CX9, or Honda Pilot)
How will you be using the car?: Family of 4 (two car seats), strollers, groceries, and occasional guests
What aspects are most important to you? 3 rows of seating

Growing out of the 2005 Prius. Looking to upgrade to a larger vehicle that can comfortably accommodate my family.

Quoting myself for context because it's a few pages back.

Test drove a CX9 and my wife didn't like it. She says it didn't feel like a big car. Drove a pathfinder and she did like it, but now we're debating if the 3rd row is necessary.

She just drove an RDX and fell in love but it's about a grand over budget and still doesn't include a remote start, which is a requirement. Should we look at the crv or am I officially hosed now that we've dipped into the next category? Help me AI

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Get the RDX.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
Son of a bitch. I was conned.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I Love Topanga posted:

Quoting myself for context because it's a few pages back.

Test drove a CX9 and my wife didn't like it. She says it didn't feel like a big car. Drove a pathfinder and she did like it, but now we're debating if the 3rd row is necessary.

She just drove an RDX and fell in love but it's about a grand over budget and still doesn't include a remote start, which is a requirement. Should we look at the crv or am I officially hosed now that we've dipped into the next category? Help me AI

Lol, driving a car way over budget is always a trap.
Also how the gently caress is "feeling like a big car" a loving pro? Big cars drive like rear end unless they have tricked physics into thinking they are small cars or have giant motors.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Let your wife test drive a 2009-11 Range Rover.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Throatwarbler posted:

Let your wife test drive a 2009-11 Range Rover.

Aww what did he ever do to you?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm not happy unless my car feels like an aircraft carrier.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Im looking for a new car for under $30k. Ford is having such a good sale this month too: anything financed for 0% over 84 months + full set of winter tires mounted on rims with sensors + $2000 rebate. I'm tempted to grab the 2017 Fusion SE ecoboost for $29k. This will be for daily commuting 100+km, in Edmonton, AB (heavy snow, ice, and salt).

Any warning or endorsements for this? Get a Prius instead even despite the interest rate? Different Ford model? Honda Fit? Thanks.

Tenacious J fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 25, 2016

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

We just got a Fusion Hybrid in, and I'm fairly impressed with it. Real-world 40mpg, the inside feels better to me than a Prius, and I genuinely like the styling. Obviously, I don't know what LT reliability will be, but the hybrid system is licensed from Toyota, so there's that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I Love Topanga posted:

A basic remote starter costs like 2-250 installed depending on whatever bypass bullshit they have to put in.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Tenacious J posted:

Im looking for a new car for under $30k. Ford is having such a good sale this month too: anything financed for 0% over 84 months + full set of winter tires mounted on rims with sensors + $2000 rebate. I'm tempted to grab the 2017 Fusion SE ecoboost for $29k. This will be for daily commuting 100+km, in Edmonton, AB (heavy snow, ice, and salt).

Any warning or endorsements for this? Get a Prius instead even despite the interest rate? Different Ford model? Honda Fit? Thanks.

Fusions are decent cars, just know that the 2.0 drinks gasoline. If you mean the 1.5, then it's OK. That sounds solid, especially because 30K CAD is $22k USD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tenacious J posted:

I'd try to swing the hybrid if you can with the mileage you do - you're doing minimum 25,000km/year in commute alone. Not sure the various offers will apply to hybrids, though.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
The real fuel economy on the turbo is poo poo, check Fuelly (but make sure to sort out the AWD ones as they are horrendous). Fusions are really nice for the Price, but suffer extreme depreciation. You can find them off lease fully loaded for around 20k. Hybrids a little more. Only thing you'll likely miss is the new infotainment system.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

nm posted:

Lol, driving a car way over budget is always a trap.
Also how the gently caress is "feeling like a big car" a loving pro? Big cars drive like rear end unless they have tricked physics into thinking they are small cars or have giant motors.

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not happy unless my car feels like an aircraft carrier.

I think part of the draw of upgrading to an SUV was the idea of sitting up higher and feeling safer. She didn't get that feeling from the CX9. I agree that it seems like a positive to me, but I guess that's why I'm keeping the Prius.

IRQ posted:

A basic remote starter costs like 2-250 installed depending on whatever bypass bullshit they have to put in.

The dealership said they could install an Acura one for ~$900 which would be covered by the certified pre-owned warranty. An off brand would be about half. Any guidance you have when shopping for one would be helpful.

I'm going to go back and see if I can get them to fit it into my budget... They will drop 10% off the asking price and throw the remote start in, right?... Right? Buying a car blows.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I Love Topanga posted:

The dealership said they could install an Acura one for ~$900 which would be covered by the certified pre-owned warranty. An off brand would be about half. Any guidance you have when shopping for one would be helpful.

You probably don't really need a cpo on a Honda but that's your call. As for shopping for a remote starter basically just find a shop that will do it, when I was looking no regular garages do, it's more places that do sound system type things and ask them what they charge. They probably won't want you to buy your own, but they're on amazon if you want to look at prices and feature options. I just got a basic line of sight one, but you can get cellular ones that will work anywhere and tell you whether the car turned on or not. Even my basic one locks the doors and will cut the engine if you try to do anything before putting in the key.

I actually found mine through a groupon offer, but I'd been looking for a couple weeks that fall.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
This must be why the Bronco is coming back - everyone wants short , tall crossovers because taller is better than.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

This must be why the Bronco is coming back - everyone wants short , tall crossovers because taller is better than.

New Suzuki Samurai looking good.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I wish I could find a video I've seen a couple times which is a compilation of the crashes at a particular intersection - most of them are somebody running a red light at lowish-moderate speed.

The crashes with sedans just fling them into the curbs with medium damage, but every_single_SUV(and most pickups) rolls over easily and they slide on their roofs/sides into poo poo. I always knew, instinctively, that the whole 'I FEEL SAFER' bullshit was just that, but watching crash after crash confirming it was surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

JnnyThndrs posted:

I wish I could find a video I've seen a couple times which is a compilation of the crashes at a particular intersection - most of them are somebody running a red light at lowish-moderate speed.

The crashes with sedans just fling them into the curbs with medium damage, but every_single_SUV(and most pickups) rolls over easily and they slide on their roofs/sides into poo poo. I always knew, instinctively, that the whole 'I FEEL SAFER' bullshit was just that, but watching crash after crash confirming it was surprising.

Modern SUV's are safer according to the statistics.

IIHS posted:

But drivers of today's SUVs are among the least likely to die in a crash, the Institute's latest calculations of driver death rates show. The change is due largely to the widespread availability of electronic stability control (ESC), which helps prevent rollovers. With the propensity to roll over reduced, SUVs are on balance safer than cars because their bigger size and weight provide greater protection in a crash.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 26, 2016