Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

tadashi posted:

I can't even tell who's arguing for what anymore? Can we just all go back to looking forward to wondering what Logan will do in Epsiode 5?
I think he will shoot or gently caress something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

tooterfish posted:

I think he will shoot or gently caress something.

I think he will shoot something and gently caress the bullet hole. also he has a micropenis.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Can you gently caress any host? Can someone choose to gently caress the prospector.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

whalesteak posted:

Also, haven't seen a link posted, but if anyone cares to speculate, here are some unaired images from the "weeks ahead" spots- 1, 2, and 3.

I really like that Maeve leaving shot. it looks like Logan bumps into that guy and finally shoots him, after getting off the train. It seems like something from an end of a season, where everything is back to normal, except for Maeve.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

King Vidiot posted:

I mean they call that one guy "Remus" but he's clearly Trevor from GTA, so is Westworld a virtual reality and is it in the same continuity as GTA V? Is this viral marketing for the new Red Dead Redemption?!

Add some Cyberpunk 2077 and we are good to go!

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Durzel posted:

Are we supposed to be getting sympathetic towards MiB in this show? I mean episode 4 posited that he has a humanitarian foundation outside of Westworld, so it looks to be trying to go down that road, but on the other hand he (apparently) raped Dolores and its implied that he has done so repeatedly. If you assume the latter to be true, can there be any redemption?

I guess it's possible the show could be asking us to forgive and root for a rapist, but it seems more likely that the episode 1 rape scene was a bait and switch, doesn't it?

The other guest only gets off "your foundation saved my sister's..-." For all we know, the Man in Black Company saved her career after she was caught sending racist emails. Or it saved his sister's husband 20% on flood insurance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Can you gently caress any host? Can someone choose to gently caress the prospector.

The only rule is that you can't kill humans. So... that's a bingo.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

or he might have a foundation the same way Susan Komen does, where like 50% of the revenue goes toward making the foundation's board richer. I tend to think he's probably a decent dude outside Westworld cause that'd fit in nicely with the show's themes, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the kind of foundation companies use for philanthropist PR purposes.

that said, if you're going to speculate that anyone is the MiB, it's fuckin Logan - we know that William comments that he's turned into a worse person once inside Westworld, while Logan's attitude toward the place is "it's a loving game!" we know the MiB is obsessed with the big-G "game" of Westworld and also we just got a hint that he's a different/better person in the real world. episode four showed us that they both have completely blithe attitudes toward gunfights. Logan was excited to find an "Easter egg" and go off to explore a hidden aspect of the game, something we know the MiB is very interested in. the broad strokes line up pretty fantastically, and even particular character traits are shared. people just want to assume that William is gonna turn blackhat at some point, which doesn't seem likely.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I asked a friend why no one in this post-sexual preference future is sexually assaulting male hosts and he couldn't figure it out, either.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

tadashi posted:

I asked a friend why no one in this post-sexual preference future is sexually assaulting male hosts and he couldn't figure it out, either.

to be fair we've only seen sexual assault on the one female host - Dolores (and the guest who wasn't the MiB didn't even want to participate in it). I really doubt we'll see much boy-boy rape but it seems like they're not interested in putting the gratuitous/exploitative sexual assault stuff on front street the way GoT did. like, even the few times we've seen it, nobody gets nude, you don't see the act, and they cut away fairly quickly - it's mostly offscreen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tadashi posted:

Logan goes for a male host right off the train. HBO just doesn't show as much male nudity as female. We'll see a few more boobs and then we'll get some butts and maybe a dong.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Logan goes for a male host right off the train. HBO just doesn't show as much male nudity as female. We'll see a few more boobs and then we'll get some butts and maybe a dong.

yeah but Logan - or any other character - hasn't assaulted/raped any male hosts the way we've seen with Dolores or heard implied by the Westworld staff.

e: that is to say, it's definitely A Thing that gay rape is virtually never used for titillation in the same way hetero rape is. I understand why you'd notice its absence in a show like this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

indigi posted:

yeah but Logan - or any other character - hasn't assaulted/raped any male hosts the way we've seen with Dolores or heard implied by the Westworld staff.

e: that is to say, it's definitely A Thing that gay rape is virtually never used for titillation in the same way hetero rape is. I understand why you'd notice its absence in a show like this.

Well, then we get into the issues of whether the machines can even consent, or whether consent is an issue if they're just machines or if its really rape or whatever.

But you're right, audiences are much less comfortable with homosexual rape than heterosexual. (Unless its Oz) I think that's just a more extreme version of what I was saying though, in general male nudity is more rare and gay sex is more rare, both are less common on Game of Thrones than hetero.

We're only like 4 episodes into the first season yet though, and each episode adds a lot of new things, so we'll see where we're at by the end of S1.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If they did show male-male rape, we'd be complaining about how the show is portraying the only gay/bi characters as a rapist.

Now, what if Logan and William are one person, just two different personalities??

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

tin can made man posted:

The other guest only gets off "your foundation saved my sister's..-." For all we know, the Man in Black Company saved her career after she was caught sending racist emails. Or it saved his sister's husband 20% on flood insurance.

It's true but that would be really hack writing. The only thing that really makes sense is that it saved her life or something on the same level as that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I love how pissed MiB gets when they go out of character. This is my vacation god damnit! Shut the gently caress up! I am an outlaw and you're a cowboy. Don't break kayfabe!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zaphod42 posted:

I love how pissed MiB gets when they go out of character. This is my vacation god damnit! Shut the gently caress up! I am an outlaw and you're a cowboy. Don't break kayfabe!

It almost makes his character sad and comical how absolutely caught up in it all he gets, like he cracks a smile as he discovers a new narrative they just added and he gets pissed at breaking character. But he knows it's all a "game", so he's really just playing Cowboys and Indians with a really, really expensive set of toys.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

It almost makes his character sad and comical how absolutely caught up in it all he gets, like he cracks a smile as he discovers a new narrative they just added and he gets pissed at breaking character. But he knows it's all a "game", so he's really just playing Cowboys and Indians with a really, really expensive set of toys.

He's definitely a flawed character. Most people I imagine if they even do go to westworld probably don't come back a ton. A few people did reference how they started out white hat and came back black hat, but how many people visit again and again for years? Most people probably get their fill of the place and then move on. But he's someone so obsessed with WestWorld that its not enough for him anymore, he needs more. He wants to go deeper. He wants to find some 'ending' which he's hoping will almost give closure and meaning to all the time he spent in WestWorld, even if that ending kills him.

Its like somebody so caught up and addicted in an MMO that they don't even care about the rest of their life anymore. He's definitely not a totally healthy person.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Hey 2 timeliness theorists. Replay the scene where william gets to the top of the escalator. Look to his right. Who do you think that old man is?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Collateral posted:

Hey 2 timeliness theorists. Replay the scene where william gets to the top of the escalator. Look to his right. Who do you think that old man is?

Why don't you just tell us, instead of being annoying?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Not to compare the two shows, but I really hope they pull do something like "Once Upon a Time" and have a total paradigm shift at the end of the first season. The "awakening" plot is moving so fast that I feel we'll get fatigued with it by season two if at least a few characters aren't woke as gently caress by then.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Why don't you just tell us, instead of being annoying?

Looks like Ford to me.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Collateral posted:

Looks like Ford to me.

Looked a bit too tall to be Hopkins.

e:eh maybe

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 25, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Looked a bit too tall to be Hopkins.

e:eh maybe

But he's also not Ed Harris.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Oh yeah, I definitely don't think it's Ed Harris.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I was laughing at how many video game references they had in the last episode. Logan's upgrade, finding the easter egg, MiB being level 99 with exploding cigars - it was great. I almost wish Westworld was virtual reality just so that we can get that season-ending shot of MiB being a fat neckbeard gaming in his mom's basement.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tadashi posted:

Also, the logos when William is arriving change slightly. You could say we see multiple logos, I guess. Here's another one in the background from when he's being outfitted. People are just fixated on the first one he sees for some reason.

I just want to remark on what an inspired piece of casting this is. They could have hired any pretty face, but the combination of hair, makeup, and wardrobe are absolutely perfect.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Collateral posted:

Looks like Ford to me.

Nah. I'll grant it's hard to tell the face in this grainy as poo poo picture, but he has a different build and posture from Ford.

We've also only ever seen Ford kick around in period costume... because despite his insistence otherwise, he's quite quite mad.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
That's not anthony hopkins you racist

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

MiB confirmed to be Logan

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm more curious why key hosts aren't available redundantly. Put another copy up in the world, while the shot up copy gets fixed.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Ah true enough. I suppose it could be a younger Ford....

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm more curious why key hosts aren't available redundantly. Put another copy up in the world, while the shot up copy gets fixed.

Maybe there are copies, and they're mind-blowing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

King Vidiot posted:

I took it more as the MiB is a famous person in the real world and doesn't want complete randos to be weird around him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

People were already complaining in-thread that you'd shoot somebody and they'd be back alive in a few days making that almost have no weight or meaning. If you shot somebody and then walked outside and saw their copy walking around or coming to take their place, it'd be even worse.

Its possible there are copies, but what with their ability to instantly re-task hosts to new duties, there's no point. Instead you just make everybody unique.

If you have copies say Bob-A and Bob-B, and Bob-A is tasked to run the poker game and he hasn't been shot, you're stuck wasting Bob-B in storage until Bob-A finally does get shot.

If you have Bob and Eric instead, if Bob gets shot and can be easily fixed, he's "dead" for a day, and then Bob goes back to playing poker. But if he's seriously damaged, they just put Eric in as the new poker dealer. Meanwhile if Bob is playing poker and they suddenly need a new host to play a cowboy part, they can take Eric without having to worry about Bob and Eric ever being in the same room at the same time, breaking the illusion.

Basically there's no need. Making each unique makes it easier to rotate them in and out, there's less waste and more efficiency. And considering hosts are probably pretty expensive, that's probably smart. Although the whole scheme is ludicrously wasteful either way.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I do think it is kinda lame that the MiB is getting help from Delos in his quest, although actually, it may be very interesting.....

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think the Narrative department tries carefully to balance "my immersion!!" with the ability to do the "quests" you want. It is interesting how many of the storylines involve multiple days, though. Dolores's loop must get interrupted if she is still available to go into town on a day when Armistice just starts firing her gun at everyone in Sweetwater. I wonder if there are guides about when the best day to book is if you can only pony up enough for a single day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gynecolojustice posted:

I do think it is kinda lame that the MiB is getting help from Delos in his quest, although actually, it may be very interesting.....

They're not helping him at all, they're just not standing in his way the way they might for other guests.

He still had to earn those explosive cigars in-world, or at least buy them from Delos ahead of time or something. They only gave him approval to use them during the episode.

Its like the scene where the dudes are shooting up Hector's squad and then control realizes that a family is coming back to the town; they jam the guns.

If they wanted to Delos could jam MiB's explosives and guns, but then he'd be right pissed, and it seems he's got a premium package going on where he pays more or he has a loyalty reward for coming to the park for so long that he gets whatever he wants. That's not the same as helping though.

Bicyclops posted:

I wonder if there are guides about when the best day to book is if you can only pony up enough for a single day.

You *must* buy a week minimum to visit Westworld. One week to four weeks are the only options you have for booking. Its scheduled that way for the quests and stuff, I figure.

Also means that new guests only show up every so often so they're not constantly scrambling to track all the incoming people every day. They have one day a week where new people arrive, then its just monitoring those people over the week.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, like I assume they have to request permission for pyrotechnic effects so that they don't harm other guests with explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah, that's fair, I just think he is a lot less badass now that we know he has to radio to Delos to activate special toys here and there

• Locked thread