Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
5minutes boys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

got some chores tonight posted:

if this were a board exam id check borderline personality disorder so fast my head would spin

i should do a buzzfeed what personality disorder do you have underlying tendencies of but it would PROBABLY be taken offensively

Personality disorders are fun, except for BPD's they will gently caress you up.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wow I clearly missed studying. Convinced myself I needed to figure out what the movie was of a dumb poster I saw walking down the street 3 months ago to make sure it wasn't the same actor I saw in another movie recently and spent a good 20 minutes finding it. Of course the title of the French movie poster and the American release were different. Procrastinating like a champ.

Differences between French and American posters/movie titles can be so fun~

Last time I was in France, The Purge 2 was about to come out and there were posters everywhere. In France, "The Purge" is called "American Nightmare" (in English!) and the tagline is "Bienvenue aux États-Unis! Une nuit par an, tous les crimes sont permits" ("Welcome to the United States! One night a year, all crime is legal"), which makes it sound like the Purge is just a normal non-fictional element of the US legal system.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Pinterest Mom posted:

Last time I was in France, The Purge 2 was about to come out and there were posters everywhere. In France, "The Purge" is called "American Nightmare" (in English!) and the tagline is "Bienvenue aux États-Unis! Une nuit par an, tous les crimes sont permits" ("Welcome to the United States! One night a year, all crime is legal"), which makes it sound like the Purge is just a normal non-fictional element of the US legal system.

Yeah we call it St. Patrick's day over here.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
For some actual mafia talk, for people who are good at pulling the game out of jokephase, how do you do it? There's people like Somber or Quid or Diqnol who can always jumpstart a game, and I'd like to be able to do that but I always feel like I'm bad at setting the tone.

I was thinking about jokephase and I've always felt it's kinda like those first few minutes of a meeting or before recording something or a game session where people are trickling in, getting settled, loading up programs, etc and then there's a moment where everyone looks around and you all know you're ready and you begin. Jokephase feels like it should be that, but then sometimes the meeting never starts and you're all just loving around the whole time instead of doing what you came here to do.

I like jokephase like I like those few minutes of chitchat, but since there's no real chair or presenter to say "okay let's get started" it always feels weird to just be a random person in the group saying that. Should mods do that? Should they delay the start of D1 for an hour or two during the confirming period and then once they do we agree that jokephase is over, should random players take a leadership role to get the ball rolling, or does the whole game need to somehow agree to it?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Just be a jerk about it, it usually works for me. Vote for someone, aggressively case them and make up a reason, whatever.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

There are multiple approaches to doing it but usually getting everyone doing something together (ie a content game type thing or being aggressive and forcing people to consider what you've said) is the way.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
don't be afraid to look stupid, point out absolutely anything that strikes you. the reaction is more important than anything. you'll probably be wrong but that's not the point, don't let go until something interesting happens.

it doesn't always work, for some people jokephase is mafia.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Say you're a vig and threaten to vig Diqnol imo.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Say you're a vig and threaten to vig Diqnol imo.

A modern Diqnol approach to this is to shrug.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Asiina posted:

For some actual mafia talk, for people who are good at pulling the game out of jokephase, how do you do it? There's people like Somber or Quid or Diqnol who can always jumpstart a game, and I'd like to be able to do that but I always feel like I'm bad at setting the tone.

I was thinking about jokephase and I've always felt it's kinda like those first few minutes of a meeting or before recording something or a game session where people are trickling in, getting settled, loading up programs, etc and then there's a moment where everyone looks around and you all know you're ready and you begin. Jokephase feels like it should be that, but then sometimes the meeting never starts and you're all just loving around the whole time instead of doing what you came here to do.

I like jokephase like I like those few minutes of chitchat, but since there's no real chair or presenter to say "okay let's get started" it always feels weird to just be a random person in the group saying that. Should mods do that? Should they delay the start of D1 for an hour or two during the confirming period and then once they do we agree that jokephase is over, should random players take a leadership role to get the ball rolling, or does the whole game need to somehow agree to it?

I'm a big fan of making an intentionally bad case on someone. Generally speaking someone will case you for making a bad vote, and then people will case them for jumping on you, and then Mafia begins.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
fake a result on someone.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

CapitalistPig posted:

fake a result on me, CPig.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
why would you even want jokephase to end?
smdh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

why would you even want jokephase to end?
smdh

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I always thought the best way to end jokephase was to say something inadvertently scummy and then get turbodunked on D1. Or maybe that's just me. :shrug:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't participate in joke phase and try to take thing 100% seriously all the time. I am a wet blanket.

That said I'd like to genuinely know how to poo poo post. If you do that are you actually playing the game or just saying whatever and not bothering to think your thoughts through? It feels like it'd be easier to play that way.

Pinterest Mom posted:

It seems it's even nuttier in Quebec where everything is translated no matter how simple the phrase is.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't participate in joke phase and try to take thing 100% seriously all the time. I am a wet blanket.

That said I'd like to genuinely know how to poo poo post. If you do that are you actually playing the game or just saying whatever and not bothering to think your thoughts through? It feels like it'd be easier to play that way.

It seems it's even nuttier in Quebec where everything is translated no matter how simple the phrase is.

When I poo poo post it's mostly a combination of two things: I like joking around in general, but also because I tend to trust gut calls quite a bit, and find them worth following up on and pressing. So generally while poo poo posting and pressing, my end goal is to generate more evidence and force a slip or force scum into a situation where they will have to backtrack in order to produce reasonable reactions and cases.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I poo poo post cause it's fun, but I never really see it as part of the game objective. If I'm actually playing those are real posts.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I think a big part of ending jokephase and starting mafia is just not being afraid of how you are going to come across. You have no idea how many times I've ended joke phase and gotten a shitton of heat on me D1 as a result of a bad case, either real or fabricated. But at the end of the day, there's a lot to go on in how people approach D1 cases.

I hate when people dismiss D1 as a waste of time and having no value. There's value in everything everyone posts in mafia at all times, because we are always playing some kind of part.

As Nike said, just go for it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I generally feel like the first person to get a lot of heat is unlikely to be lunched D1, so on my head be it if I pull things out of joke phase.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

To be honest getting executed or in NK'lld fast is a bit of a relief these days, due to time, so it's not really an issue for me if people begin to get suspicious, but this is just another reason why I think I'm terrible at this game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Max posted:

I generally feel like the first person to get a lot of heat is unlikely to be lunched D1, so on my head be it if I pull things out of joke phase.

Welcome to my life~

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
my doctrine prioritises votes over posts so it's very easy to jokepost especially early on when people don't have much of a voting record

it's also easy because i'm a crappy poster :madmax:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I suck

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My problem is whenever I make an argument, someone always cases me instead of responding to what I'm saying, and it's never "huh that seems like a town move" casing. At that point, it's like, why bother posting anything of substance/why bother playing?

Or, alternately, "Wren's scummy for not posting." (effortpost) "That effortpost was scummy, dunk him."

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The damned if you do damned if you don't aspect of this game drives me mad for sure.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don't respond to people calling you scummy unless their argument is poo poo (and it is not inherently poo poo, even if you are town, because they don't know that) or they ask you questions. Just focus on being productive, instead.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The damned if you do damned if you don't aspect of this game drives me mad for sure.

It can be defeated. The true kings of mafia have learned the secret.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The secret is not caring about how you come across to others, just the intentions of your heart.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I sometimes do notice a tendency for people to just go along with bad arguments if you don't fight back against them. That has lead to multi-page arguments between me and one other person, but I feel like if I say nothing everyone will just go "OK whatever" and lunch me.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

You don't suck dongsbot!

Oh wait you're Tommunist.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think the "you're being defensive, that's scummy" thing is garbage. If I'm being attacked, especially by a bad argument, of course I will defend against it. To ignore it is to implicitly agree with it.

It's nice to be able to ignore an argument and then put together your own case on someone else, but it doesn't always work like that. People accuse you of trying to change the subject, or the person making the argument against you is being really persistent. You gotta smack that poo poo down immediately or like Max said, it'll harden and people will just come to assume it's true.

Allen Wren posted:

My problem is whenever I make an argument, someone always cases me instead of responding to what I'm saying, and it's never "huh that seems like a town move" casing. At that point, it's like, why bother posting anything of substance/why bother playing?

Or, alternately, "Wren's scummy for not posting." (effortpost) "That effortpost was scummy, dunk him."

I don't really buy this though, cause I know if someone has been totally absent but then makes an effortpost, the fact that they weren't posting doesn't really come into play when evaluating the case they made. If it's a bad case that I don't think is coming from a genuine place, I'll think it's scummy.

But even if it did, you're going to have people call your case scummy because at the very least there are 2-3 people in the game who are actively against you. So using that as a point to not post is kinda missing the point of the game.

So I guess my point of this post is yes defend yourself if people call you scummy, but also remember those people could be scum and don't take it personally?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have thoughts on this but don't get to comment till my game is done. :) Lately I seem to draw a ton of heat Day 1/2 so perhaps my opinions are not to be trusted anyhow!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also sometimes you get mislynched and it sucks and you gotta see if you could have done better, but it's a team game and sometimes you've done all you can. It's not good to totally absolve yourself of all responsibility, because if you had been super townie good scum or lazy town wouldn't have come after you, but you'll still get lynched despite your best efforts at times so oh well.

If that frustrates you to the point that you don't want to make cases anymore then what you really should be doing is taking a break from playing and not join any games.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Asiina posted:

You gotta smack that poo poo down immediately or like Max said, it'll harden and people will just come to assume it's true.

This is more a problem with the people you play with than your own problem but yes, unfortunately true. Ppl r dum :downs:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
As someone who often mods or plays in silly games, I hypothesize a positive correlation between the length and number of players in joke phase and rate of mafia wins.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I still maintain that a thread has roughly 5 (maximum 10) pages to get its poo poo together before it is forever a shitpost game and nobody will put in any effort ever and you might as well just close the game.

I may honestly start enforcing this in my games.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Booooo. Lean into it!

We all need a silly game every once in a while. It's an internet party game played on a comedy website forum, don't take it too seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Booooo. Lean into it!

We all need a silly game every once in a while. It's an internet party game played on a comedy website forum, don't take it too seriously.

Yes, but it's definitely within the mod's discretion of whether they intend for their game to be silly or not.