Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cerv posted:

Nah, Dobbs did do a revised edition of House of Cards that changes the ending to match the TV show among other things. Which I know because I once bought the novel thinking it'd be nice to see if it's really as different as contemporary reviews said and only realised half way through that I'd got the wrong one

I see. For some reason, I only ever read To Play the King. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

The Office?

I try not to remember that there's a British Office (or French, German, Swedish, Chilean, Quebecois, or Israeli)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Has there ever been a US adaptation of a UK series that didn't suck?

I prefer the American version of football over UK football.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CobiWann posted:

I prefer the American version of football over UK football.

Both are equally bad for different reasons. Baseball is the one true international sport. :getin:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Both are equally bad for different reasons. Baseball is the one true international sport. :getin:

Ah yes, the "World Series". Go Cubs!

(I'm in Chicago right now, and no-one will shut up about it. They're only a year behind schedule according to my almanac)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Literally billions fewer people care about baseball than care about the superior bat and ball sport

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Baseball is the one true international sport. :getin:

Ive got some bad news for you about the "World Series"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Literally billions fewer people care about baseball than care about the superior bat and ball sport

Sure, but baseball has hit films The Sandlot and Field of Dreams going for it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

Cricket has, uh... Backyard Ashes ?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

Black Orchid

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Pier Pasolini's The Third Test Match

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Shaun of the Dead?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bicyclops posted:

Bull Durham is the best movie about whacking a ball with a stick.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

I can't see that video, so I'm hoping it's about a bunch of snooty English kids moving to Australia to challenge some rag-tag Aussie kids to a game of cricket for some reason.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Looks like it's a who's who of D-List Australian celebrities.

Starring the dad from Round the Twist as 'Aussie Dad', and the guy who played Keating in that Bob Hawke telemovie as 'Englishman with moustache'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CaptainYesterday posted:

I can't see that video, so I'm hoping it's about a bunch of snooty English kids moving to Australia to challenge some rag-tag Aussie kids to a game of cricket for some reason.

I can see that video, and that's not as wrong as you think.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
:chord: England will keep the Ashes forever. Forever.

Fooooorrrrrrrreeeeeveerrrrrrrrrrrr

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Stanfield posted:

Round the Twist

:allears: Oh god, that wonderful show!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Gaz-L posted:

Production values are probably difficult since the BBC 3 budget got slashed with the move to online

I, personally, thought what I saw of Class both on the set (some shared studio space, some if it shot at another studio) and in the edit, showed it to have just as good or maybe even higher production values than your average DW ep. It may well be lower budget, but fewer eps + common standing sets seemed to mean it looked much better than the words "BBC 3 spinoff" would have you expect.

I've not actually watched it though, so, could be wrong.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I listened to the first series of the Fourth Doctor Adventures over the weekend and apart from the first script being a bit blah and Tom obviously not giving much of a poo poo for the first two stories (initially I planned on saying "taking a few stories to get back into the role/adjust to doing it on audio before hitting it perfectly" until I saw it mentioned that Destination Nerva was the fourth or whatever story recorded in Cobi's review which threw that idea out) I really enjoyed it.

I especially liked Wrath of the Iceni for giving Four a pure historical, which is always a plus for me as a Hartnell era fangirl

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 25, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CommonShore posted:

:catbert: I know it's an older show, but I posted like 5 posts above that I am literally watching it right now and in season 1. I went in entirely fresh.

Sorry dude! I did try to be as vague as possible but I should have just used spoiler tags, my bad.

Box of Bunnies posted:

I listened to the first series of the Fourth Doctor Adventures over the weekend and apart from the first script being a bit blah and Tom obviously not giving much of a poo poo for the first two stories (initially I planned on saying "taking a few stories to get back into the role/adjust to doing it on audio before hitting it perfectly" until I saw it mentioned that Destination Nerva was the fourth or whatever story recorded in Cobi's review which threw that idea out) I really enjoyed it.

I especially liked Wrath of the Iceni for giving Four a pure historical, which is always a plus for me as a Hartnell era fangirl

It's funny, if I go back to each individual episode of that first season of the Fourth Doctor Adventures nothing outside of Renaissance Man really stands out all that much, but the season as a whole I think is really quite good as it develops the theme of education and we see Leela and the Doctor largely treated as equals.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Sorry dude! I did try to be as vague as possible but I should have just used spoiler tags, my bad.

Eh no prob. I was more looking for a reason to use catbert. I stopped reading right away. The only thing that your post gave away is that they arrest someone and have a trial, which is a minor spoiler, but I was wondering how a second season would be possible - if they were going to Twin Peaks it or something.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rochallor posted:

The shots with Capaldi are a great demonstration of this. On Doctor Who, he looks like he's in a movie. On Class, he looks like he's in... a low-budget TV show. I really hope they pick it up with the production after the first episode, because it really is a great idea merely executed poorly.

I've got to disagree. It's a much more impressive looking show than Doctor Who manages to be outside of the Tardis. Simply because it's budget can go on things other than new sets and props and costumes every week.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alright, back in the UK, let's try Class.

This is not even vaguely in Shoreditch. I hate all these people.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

Alright, back in the UK, let's try Class.

This is not even vaguely in Shoreditch. I hate all these people.

Does not compute

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

echoplex posted:

Does not compute

Stop knowing my tastes! :argh:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/790552292453777408

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I'm watching Last Days On Mars (apparently out of spite to myself) and I've realised like half the sets/dressing got redistributed exactly between Doctor Who and Red Dwarf.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

I'm watching Last Days On Mars (apparently out of spite to myself) and I've realised like half the sets/dressing got redistributed exactly between Doctor Who and Red Dwarf.

Oh hey echoplex, if I recall right you're working on the latest Red Dwarf right? Just wanted to say I've really dug the way the latest season has looked, there have been some cool sets and props.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Everyone should totes tweet this at me!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Jerusalem posted:

Oh hey echoplex, if I recall right you're working on the latest Red Dwarf right? Just wanted to say I've really dug the way the latest season has looked, there have been some cool sets and props.

Ah, thanks, but I'm series 12 next year. A few of my bits have leaked into S11 thanks to pickups, but actually DW10 will have finished airing before my series of Dwarf goes out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

Ah, thanks, but I'm series 12 next year. A few of my bits have leaked into S11 thanks to pickups, but actually DW10 will have finished airing before my series of Dwarf goes out.

Well in that case.... don't blow it! :haw:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just listened to "Dalek Empire" part one, episode one, and liked it a lot. How's the rest of it?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Just listened to "Dalek Empire" part one, episode one, and liked it a lot. How's the rest of it?

Hoo boy. Not great, honestly. :(

It's the kind of story that could have been a pretty okay single audio, and instead it's 12.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bicyclops posted:

Hoo boy. Not great, honestly. :(

It's the kind of story that could have been a pretty okay single audio, and instead it's 12.

So, continuing Big Finish's weird "Let's put less than great stuff on the Humble Bundle" thing they do.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I kinda regret buying the Big Finish humble bundles...I have to rebuy all that stuff to get it on my BF account anyway.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 26, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's why the Rifftrax ones are good, they give you coupon codes for the Rifftrax site.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

egon_beeblebrox posted:

If you understand what they're going for as Doorstopper Novel Space Opera (distance between star systems is a big deal, unexpected threats turning up, sudden character deaths regardless of how much "screen time" they've had, massive time skips, very long games, ridiculous ideas treated dead serious, etc.) then you'll have a better time with it. It didn't hit me until I was finishing up season one, and I enjoyed it a lot more after that... especially considering how :cawg: the Daleks' plan is, and the way it bites their shiny Dalekanium asses in season two.

I also liked season three for the Dan Simmons/H.P. Lovecraft creepiness, but I'm kind of in the minority there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: Amy and the 5th Doctor are just two of the forty thieves trying to break into a Djinn's cave, in search of something that isn't there.

Long Synopsis: The Black Guardian takes the 5th Doctor and Amy on a tour through areas in time and space where the 5th segment of the Key to Time SHOULD be but isn't. Dumped in the Sudan in the 9th Century, Amy becomes a slave while the Doctor finds himself caught up in a political quagmire between the powerless but powerful Guardians.

What's Good:
  • The Guardians. After an excellent cliffhanger to the rushed and overly packed The Judgement of Isskar, the Black Guardian shows up full of all the booming power familiar to viewers of the Davison era. However, the writer Jonathan Clements does a very good job of working with the premise that Big Finish gave him: It's the Key to Time so the Guardians need to be involved, so get them in and then get rid of them as quickly as possible! Clements does this by rather sensibly taking the approach that if Entropy is rapidly overtaking the Universe and bringing it to an end, then the Guardians' own power would be similarly coming to an end. Each is desperate to get their hands on the 5th Segment to jumpstart their powers for even a few more precious seconds of overwhelming power, each are rapidly waning in strength, and so they cling to whatever powers they can find. The order-driven White Guardian becomes a Legate to the Caliph, the chaos-driven Black Guardian becomes the greedy Lord Cassim who makes a deal with an extra-terrestrial to get him off the backwater planet as fast as possible. Both are utterly pathetic once stripped of power, still expecting others to do their bidding, unable to think strategically or imaginatively, lacking inspiration because they've been so used to knowing everything and being able to do anything/be anywhere for as long as they have existed. The Audio reduces the (far too) powerful characters and sidelines them well, leading to a rather fun ending where the two find themselves stuck out in the desert with nowhere to go and nothing to do but wait and hope that the Doctor saves reality, and thus by extension themselves.

• Amy gets some character. This second story in the Key 2 Time was written first, with Amy a completely blank character both in terms of history and within the narrative itself. Yet oddly, Amy gets far more character in this story than she does in the later written but earlier released previous story... which isn't to say she gets much, but at least it is something! Separated from the Doctor and tending to imprint on the mannerisms/behavior of those around her, Amy struggles as she does her best to fit in by being a slave while constantly questioning everything/everybody and insisting on following her own leads as she tries to retrieve her stolen Satchel, find the Doctor AND the missing Segment. There are moments where she has minor breakthroughs, points where she refuses to kowtow to the conventions of the time and place she is in (she has no moral objections, she just speaks her mind on any issue) and actually drives the story forward.

• The missing Segment. After so casually finding the first four segments in the first story, all four "episodes" of this audio see the location of the 5th segment a complete mystery. The Black Guardian has scoured all of time and space and found no trace of it beyond certain locations/times when it SHOULD be present but isn't. None of it makes any sense until the Doctor finally figures out what has happened, a neat little bit of paradoxical writing where it turns out that the segment was hidden in an object that the Black Guardian himself would create, unknowingly making the thing he was looking for by stealing huge amounts of gold in order to build a device to escape the Earth, which he only got trapped on because he was looking for the Segment he himself would end up creating!

• The Doctor's escape. Once the Doctor figures everything out, it's quite fun to see how expertly he manipulates events without anybody realizing what he is doing. While the story has the same wonderful,"He's in over his head" feeling that marked so much of the 5th Doctor's televised era, his frantic and frustrated directions to the various characters in the story as it reaches it climax masks his very deliberate and fun choreographing of the scenario in order to allow he and Amy to retrieve the Segment and escape with nobody able to get their hands on them. The moment where they escape, leaving behind the Guardians just as they figure out what has happened is handled really drat well and is a lot of fun, it's pretty neat to see the once near-omnipotent beings powerless to do anything after realizing how completely outsmarted they've been.

• Black and blue. There's a wonderful bit of linguistic play where the Doctor explains the misconception Nisrin has had of Amy's use of the word "blue", it's a fun bit of writing and Davison has great fun as the Doctor getting carried away with his enthusiastic explanation.

What's Not:

• Nisrin and Prince Omar. There is a running subplot of the slavegirl Nisrin's rather desperate attempts to gain the favor/notice of Prince Omar. In the end she succeeds in getting his attention, but whether that is a good thing or not I really couldn't say. There seems to be a deliberate effort to point out that Omar is far from the heroic and dashing image she appears to have of him, but Nisrin's own flaws kind of get glossed over. At one point she freely admits her desire for Omar is based almost purely on her fear of growing old and weak and being casually disposed of as a result. While it's true that women of the time (particularly slave women) had pretty limited options, it feels like the story is trying to paint at least one half of the relationship as genuine/heartfelt but then throws in these sections that suggest it's based almost entirely on self-interest (and perhaps a fair chunk of self-delusion). Given the large chunks of story devoted to both characters, I'm still not sure what if anything I was supposed to feel about them as individual characters and as a couple. I honestly would have preferred Nisrin taking more obviously onboard Amy's example and gaining some ability to think for herself and value herself as a person.

• The Djinn. The extra terrestrial element feels somewhat tacked on, even though it is so central to the plot - the Black Guardian needed to want to get off of Earth, the irony of his plan and the paradox of the missing segment required it. But the alien (a race called the Djinni, which is a bit on the nose really) just kind of gets in the way, and the story can't seem to decide if they want him to be a real threat or just a bit of comic relief. The comedic bits are funny ("She stole my..... handbag.....") but also rather negate any sense of menace he might have had when threatening to kill people or lay waste to an army/city.

• The Key 2 Time. Again I have to question WHY a sequel to the Key to Time saga. I liked the first time around just fine but at best this just feels like more of the same. Amy is even in the same "new, inexperienced companion slowly growing as a person" category as the first Romana, just without the smooth, slightly smug superiority that Mary Tamm did so well. Cramming the first four segments into the first story still feels like a mistake/a desire to get everything over as fast as possible, and while this story is much better than the first this "saga" is almost over already before it even began. Not that I wanted 6 4+ episode stories, one per segment, but this all just feels rushed like they wanted it done as soon as possible.

Final Thoughts:

The Destroyer of Delights is a rather fun story that would have served better as a mostly straight historical (beyond the overarching "get the Key 2 Time segments" stuff). Almost all the featured characters are interesting if not always sympathetic, and it plays around with an actual historical incident rather nicely. The writer has an intriguing publishing history, having worked on a great many non-fiction histories and biographies but also encyclopedias on a number of animes, and a great deal of scriptwork for Big Finish. This story runs with the idea of reworking the "origins" of the tale of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves and incorporates many elements familiar from that tale - the secret phrase to open the "cave" of treasures, the mighty Djinni, the greedy Cassim, the forty thieves etc. As a part of the Key 2 Time saga it's the best of the stories so far and it would have been a very different story without that framework to be set in, but I would like to see Clement working on a story designed to stand alone and not fit into some other ongoing narrative. It's a big step-up from the previous story and a lot of fun to listen to, definitely one I'd recommend though you'd need at least some of the context from the previous story to really make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I last listened to it almost a decade ago so memories are hazy, but I remember it taking some really crazy turns once the Dalek's plan is revealed. Some of them I liked, some of them I thought were just weird.

And yes, as was said before it is a very different genre from what you might be used to in Doctor Who. It felt more like Blake's 7 overall. Blake himself is even in it!

• Locked thread