Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I've mostly lurked this thread but I've been following it for quite a while. I've greatly appreciated your insights but your well being always comes first. I'm so glad that you are in a place to heal and take care of yourself, and I wish you all the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Best of luck, PJ, you're a compelling person and it's been great following along as you've elaborated on this stuff. I'm glad you're making the decision that's best for you.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I sincerely hope you get the happiness you deserve and become the you that you wish to be.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

As much as I've found this thread one of the most interesting things I've ever read on the internet and don't want it to end, I think you're making the right decision PJ. Your thought process leading up to this decision is inspiring and you sound like someone I'd enjoy having a beer with and talking poo poo about poo poo.

If you saw this project through to public release and it garnered the attention that I think it has the potential to garner, you just know the depressingly inevitable shitstorm that it would invite into your life. These fuckers get defensive, as you well know, and they will co-ordinate and lash out as hard as they can - right at YOU. In order to deal with that you're going to have to have a secure identity/mental framework and a life with friends, other concerns or hobbies and a support structure outside of all this, and it sounds like these are the things you are now looking forward to building for yourself.

So yeah, go do that. Take as long as you need, and it might become apparent over time that you have no desire or need anymore to ever come back to this, and that's absolutely fine. But if you do - whether you do it for yourself, or for the victims still trapped in that horrible environment, for the lulz, or any other reason - do it when you're truly ready, do it with help, be organised, be prepared, and do it right. Because I really do think you're onto something here.

Anyway, best of luck, hugs, and don't be a stranger.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Prester Jane posted:

While I personally feel that the near present would be an incredibly opportune time for my work to gain public traction, I will simply have to let that pass. I'm not ready to take this project to the next stage yet, and I frankly don't know when I will be. Don't get me wrong, I fully intend to finish this all in the future. But my recovery must always come first, and right now this project conflicts with my recovery, and so this project will be put on pause until such time as I judge that it will not be in conflict with my recovery. How long that will be I do not know, could be five months, could be five years.

I am very happy to see the above. I am glad that you are making such good progress, I'm glad that you can see the limits of what you're willing to put up with for anger, and I'm glad that you feel like you can let public recognition pass. While I've been delighted at your insights in this thread, there's always been a fear in the pit of my stomach at the possibility that you were chasing a grandiose delusion. I don't mean that in an insulting way, just that you've warned the thread many times that you are schizophrenic and that's a symptom. The worst of economics Nobel prize winner John Nash's schizophrenic episodes occurred after he ran himself ragged trying to get a great prize (The Fields medal) in mathematics. And I don't want to feel like a voyeur peeking in on something like that. You have really interesting ideas and you can get recognition for them whenever you want, but my deepest hope for you is that one day you can be like the rest of us and not really understand what's going on with Trump and the alt-right. I can't imagine being in a headspace where any of this stuff makes sense.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 25, 2016

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Thanks for a super interesting thread, PJ. Take good care of yourself.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
PJ you should write two books when this election is over. One about Trump and one about your personal struggle. I know that would be difficult. You would want to use a peusadym and find a friend who could act as an agent to handle the details, but I think you really could become moderately rich and famous if that's your thing. I have immensely enjoyed your style of writing while lurking this thread.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

pienipple posted:

Thanks for a super interesting thread, PJ. Take good care of yourself.

Pretty much this, yeah.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I hope your recovery continues to go well, sounds like you made a pretty important breakthrough. And thanks for everything, this was a hell of a read, I wouldn't be surprised if it was some of the most important reading I've ever done.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks a ton for your writing PJ.

This has honestly been one of the must interesting threads on SA I've read, and I'm anticipating your next and final post here.

I commend you on your decision to focus on your recovery, and I wouldn't wish for anything else for you. And as much as I would appreciate somebody else taking up the torch, nobody has quite the insight or intuitive connections that you've got. I hope that you can take that brilliant mind of yours and use it to create something else worth reading; like a cookbook on various fried chicken recipes, or a YouTube series about various movements in Lego artforms.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'm going to mirror the sentiments above me, and I know that better things will come to you by walking away from this thread and this project.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Triskelli posted:

I'm going to mirror the sentiments above me, and I know that better things will come to you by walking away from this thread and this project.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Best :tenbux: ever, eh PJ?

Cheers, and thanks for the great thread. Truly fascinating. Best of luck! :)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chiming in to say thanks for the extremely interesting conceptual framework, and extending hopes for what you do from here

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 26, 2016

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
PJ, thank you for this smart thread, and good for you for deciding to move to new things. I wish you all the best.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Prester Jane posted:

pursuing a course of action that risks self destruction because of anger/rage is always a path to ruin, no matter how morally justified one might be
Thanks for this, and best of luck.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Prester Jane posted:

So I made a choice to take option (C). I have decided that for better or worse, there is simply no way forwards except to let go of all my anger and hatred, no matter how badly I don't want to. This decision is made easier by the fact that I really do think that if I don't let it go, truly let all of it go, that I will literally either die or wind up in an existence so bleak that death will seem a tempting escape. So because I want to live, I choose to let it all go. I choose to forgive it all unconditionally, because to hold on to any small portion of it is to get sucked back into the fullness all of it- and down that path lies only ruin. I am doing this for my sake, and certainly not for the sake of the people I am forgiving.

All of our emotions exist only for our own benefit. We only ever forgive others for our own sake. That's what it means to live inside your own head.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Gonna miss this thread, but you do what you need to do, PJ.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's one of those interesting accidents that a recovery program should shed light on some sociology that isn't well addressed by academia, but thanks PJ, and good luck in the future.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
So long, and thanks for all the insights. Take care of yourself PJ.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Thank you for the thread, PJ. I learned a lot.
It is important that you take care of yourself first.
Maybe later you can come back to this project with a scholarly viewpoint, maybe not. Whatever's best for you.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Thank you for your fascinating insights, Jane. I hope you have a full recovery and wish you the best of luck. Don't feel compelled by anyone to keep working on a project you find adverse to your health or well being. And good luck with your new self.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
It is good that you have chosen not to burn yourself on this altar. I prefer you alive and well.

whymaraner
Apr 30, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thank you for all the time you put into this thread, PJ. I wanted to let you know that while I haven't participated, I've followed this thread since its inception and the information you've provided has helped me be a better person.

I hardly viewed narrativists or the hardcore religious right as humans since I couldn't understand their perspective no matter how hard I tried. I felt a lot of blind anger toward them and it frustrated me that I couldn't see why they behaved so horribly. While I'm not a "the truth is in the middle" type, I do think one of the biggest mistakes that can be made is writing off whole groups of people as "the enemy" or as "others", which was exactly what I was doing until I read this thread.

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but I want to join in wishing you well. You are an incredibly strong person no matter how you view yourself and I hope the best for you.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I don't have anything new or interesting to add to what others have already said so thank you for the thread.

Also, you loving OWN, Prester Jane. :cool:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Thanks for helping us make sense of this crazy election, PJ. I wish you all the best!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Here's to wishing you a better time of things to come, PJ! Certainly says a lot of you that you're much more willing to forgive than most supposed Christian people are (I'm not ragging on actual Christians here, just those who use it as an excuse for their prejudice). That being said, I do hope you choose to write something more substantial about your experiences under a pseudonym, as everything I've read about ACE and Narrativism from other sources, as well as my experience witnessing the current American elections (albeit from my relatively safe position in Southeast Asia) have convinced me that such brands of nonsense have got to stop, and every little bit of effort helps. All THAT being said though, if you don't feel up to it, don't force yourself just because some internet wanker said otherwise. Good luck, and best of wishes!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Man, the thing with the Bundy Ranch guys getting off...

I guess we'll see how it plays out. PJ's last prediction was that it is going to get worse, but not for long, and then much better.

I hope she's right!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Have to say PJ that all the information you already dropped was hell of interesting and I'm glad it exists. Hats off, yo. Do what you need for yourself; you've already given us more than we deserve.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Man, the thing with the Bundy Ranch guys getting off...

I guess we'll see how it plays out. PJ's last prediction was that it is going to get worse, but not for long, and then much better.

I hope she's right!

Oh god, and at just the worst time. It's going to be fresh in people's minds when trump looses and people are going to be inspired.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Y'know I've been mulling over a "I'm sad the best thread is over, but I'm happy for you, PJ" post for a bit now. I've genuinely grappled with my appreciation of you vs. my investment in the thread.

Then I wake up to a Bundy acquittal and I spend all day building furniture while screaming internally about how oregon asked justice to carry something heavy and pushed her down the stairs.

Conflict over. Get the hell away from this poison, PJ. Maybe one day I'll be smart enough to do the same.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thank you for the supremely interesting thread, and thank you even more for taking care of yourself. Good luck with all of your future endeavors, PJ!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
So happy that the good guys finally won one! :black101:

Here's to a future where the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street overcome the divide-and-conquer bullshit, and work together against a common enemy! Down with the corporatists that control the corporations and the mainstream political parties!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Metrofreak posted:

Y'know I've been mulling over a "I'm sad the best thread is over, but I'm happy for you, PJ" post for a bit now. I've genuinely grappled with my appreciation of you vs. my investment in the thread.

Then I wake up to a Bundy acquittal and I spend all day building furniture while screaming internally about how oregon asked justice to carry something heavy and pushed her down the stairs.

Conflict over. Get the hell away from this poison, PJ. Maybe one day I'll be smart enough to do the same.

You've just gotta learn to stop caring, after that you can learn how to deal with the suicidal ideation and you're home free!

And hey, if you don't manage the second one the dead feel no pain! Bonus!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A quote from one of the defense attorneys:

quote:

“This is off-the-charts unbelievable,” said Matthew Schindler, an attorney for defendant Kenneth Medenbach. “I had been telling my client you can count on being convicted. You don’t walk into a federal court and win a case like this. It just doesn’t happen.”

When even the defense is wondering how his clients got off, something is fishy.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Have some good news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDW1UWkgk4Y

tldr: Trump's suggestion and attempted actual establishment of a volunteer poll-watching force may put the RNC in violation of a court order they've been under since 1981-ish to not do anything ever on election day because of a similar stunt they pulled with a local NJ election, which may get the expiration date (coming due next year) pushed out another 8 years since the DNC is suing them over it.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 28, 2016

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I think I needed to read your most recent post. Thank you for being capable of putting your thoughts into words in a way that helps me make slightly more sense of my own.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Take care, and take all the time you need, Jane. We're all rooting for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Same. Really happy for you PJ, I think you've acted very wisely pretty consistently and hope you always do. I'll be happy to hear from you again, whenever that is.

• Locked thread