Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DancingShade posted:

A brown bland color palette will just highlight how much of an rear end in a top hat you are when you order the lush hidden tropical paradise valley of elves & faeries to be burned down in order to build a highway bypass so the flesh reaping slaver caravans can reach the pits of dispair faster.

The elves probably turn out to be assholes so it's okay to burn down their women and children and rape their houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't think they have shown anything outside the early game so who knows really. I might've missed some preview material though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pirate Radar posted:

The elves probably turn out to be assholes so it's okay to burn down their women and children and rape their houses.

'Probably'? They're elves.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rascyc posted:

I don't think they have shown anything outside the early game so who knows really. I might've missed some preview material though.

We've seen a couple screenshots of what looks like a much brighter landscape with crystals sticking out of it, which could be somewhere other than the valley you start your "listen up assholes do your drat jobs or say your drat prayers" journey in.

I really like the idea of being able to set up how people know you right off the bat. I hope your reputation keeps building through the game, but it's cool to watch that preview video and see the Disfavored already like "oh hey it's Coolguy McLavadick, whassup?!"

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

In one of the early trailers (the first one even?), there was a snippet showing some kind of island in a sea of fire/lava. Not really a unique environment but at least it's not brown.

Also, while the colours are still muted, the very first area you enter has a giant statue crying blood.

Pirate Radar posted:

I really like the idea of being able to set up how people know you right off the bat. I hope your reputation keeps building through the game, but it's cool to watch that preview video and see the Disfavored already like "oh hey it's Coolguy McLavadick, whassup?!"

I like that as well, it worked really well in The Witcher series.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

In one of the early trailers (the first one even?), there was a snippet showing some kind of island in a sea of fire/lava. Not really a unique environment but at least it's not brown.
Probably the Burning Library, Lantry's former home under which Kyros created a volcano.

The country of Azure would have probably been colorful and bright, what with it being a bread-basket, but apparently the Archon of Stone rampaged through it and blighted everything.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

X_Toad posted:

The country of Azure would have probably been colorful and bright, what with it being a bread-basket, but apparently the Archon of Stone rampaged through it and blighted everything.

That's probably the screenshots with the purple crystals we've seen. There's a fallen "statue" bleeding purple, it is probably the Archon of Stone we kill with an edict from Kyros during the Conquest portion of character creation.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Every Conquest video I see seems to make the same choices (Govern the crossing, burn the Library) so I'm not sure but I kinda figured we'd have some input on Azure's fate?

One of the previews I read mentions that one of the Conquest choice chains can earn you the title of "Peacebinder", and I haven't seen that in the videos I've watched so far.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Every Conquest video I see seems to make the same choices (Govern the crossing, burn the Library) so I'm not sure but I kinda figured we'd have some input on Azure's fate?
You can, but Cairn rampaging isn't something you can stop (that Archon was apparently extremely stubborn and powerful, and thus hard to control). You can only make it so that the main city of Azure isn't too affected by the Edict sent to destroy Cairn after he rebels. And that is a rare "Kyros" choice in which you send both the Disfavored and Scarlet Chorus to slow him down.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

X_Toad posted:

You can, but Cairn rampaging isn't something you can stop (that Archon was apparently extremely stubborn and powerful, and thus hard to control). You can only make it so that the main city of Azure isn't too affected by the Edict sent to destroy Cairn after he rebels. And that is a rare "Kyros" choice in which you send both the Disfavored and Scarlet Chorus to slow him down.

Cool beans.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'm looking forward to playing as a jerk lawful neutral judge. I don't want to be evil, I just want to be a heartless bureaucrat. Like if a choice comes up for example: save the peasants from unfair taxes and overwork from an evil lord.

There should be an option be to inform the peasants they must first fill out form 2241345SE in triplicate and send it to the office of labor relations and then allow 2 - 6 months for processing...

Unhappy? It's not my fault you didn't fill out the forms. It's part of your job as citizens to be educated in the how government works. :smug:

I'm hoping the game allows this rear end in a top hat bureaucrat response versus the wise hero, joke, or evil villain responses.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Hell yeah, another game that I'm probably going to play through with 3 different characters simultaneously.

Am I the only one who thinks effectively coming out the same day as Dishonored 2 (due to the pre-order bonus) is... not the best move? Like I'm definitely gonna play Tyranny first, but I can't imagine it's going to do wonders for sales, especially with the game not having a very high hype level as far as I can tell.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wouldn't think so, since they're very different kinds of games. I would be more... worried? ...if there were another RPG launching at the same time.

Thanks for reminding me about Dishonored 2 though, for some reason I thought it was coming out next year.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Hell yeah, another game that I'm probably going to play through with 3 different characters simultaneously.

Am I the only one who thinks effectively coming out the same day as Dishonored 2 (due to the pre-order bonus) is... not the best move? Like I'm definitely gonna play Tyranny first, but I can't imagine it's going to do wonders for sales, especially with the game not having a very high hype level as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't say there's that much crossover? In fact releasing so close to the Civ6 release date is probably a worse plan.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I suppose, I just figured Dishonored being RPG-ish, replayable (two PCs with unique skill tress, in case you hadn't heard) and reactivity-heavy would put the two in competition, but I guess if the genres are different enough then all the other stuff doesn't matter. Still really excited for both, the wait until the 10th is gonna be hell though.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

I suppose, I just figured Dishonored being RPG-ish, replayable (two PCs with unique skill tress, in case you hadn't heard) and reactivity-heavy would put the two in competition, but I guess if the genres are different enough then all the other stuff doesn't matter. Still really excited for both, the wait until the 10th is gonna be hell though.
Not for me, fortunately :) This week is the longest, then next week only has three work days (All Saints' Day + a day off on monday) and the one after that is only 4 days long (World War 1 armistice) and the long week-end is right after Tyranny is released!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Where the hell is the blog post about Sirin, the only companion that looks interesting :argh:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

frajaq posted:

Where the hell is the blog post about Sirin, the only companion that looks interesting :argh:

She has a whole short story about her background: https://blog.tyrannygame.com/2016/10/14/the-songbird/

Also she sings magic songs do you get it she's Sirin the Siren I pre-ordered a game with her in it so my character could get a cool stamp

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If it turns out obsidian is making a sequel to VtMB, it better be an ARPG.

Indeed, gently caress immersion. While you're there, add the butcher and call it torchlight 3 for good measure.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Taear posted:

I wouldn't say there's that much crossover? In fact releasing so close to the Civ6 release date is probably a worse plan.

Maybe not in terms of gameplay, but as the very comments in this thread show, there is a non negligible amount of people in that part of the Venn.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

The games definitely target a similar niche (swords/cool art style/a bit of thinking in gameplay/~immersion~) but I wouldn't think it would effect Tyranny sales. There is so little out there quite like the infinity engine type games I don't feel they really compete with other titles that 'one or t'other' way.

Just started the White March, it really seems a definite step above the base Pillars, like the team making it were a bit more confident in what they were doing. Get super high hopes for Tyranny now, first guy is going to be pure power-hungry with (dumb?) ambitions to suplant Kyros.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The setting pretty much sounds like Brandon Sandersons Mistborn so I am mildly interested in this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GlyphGryph posted:

I am guessing that supporting the rebels winds up with rhem controlling the region... but swearing fealty to Kyros, as you justify your actions by claiming it as a lesson for both the chorus and disfavoured that their petty squabbling and inability to work together has long term consequences in the form of the rise of a more capable third faction that will manage this region instead of them.

Gonna be mad if this doesn't happen now. :argh:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

frajaq posted:

It should come tomorrow. Here is the intro to it, as well as her portrait :

http://www.tyrannygame.com/lore#lore_6vq7bHcbGEymWiUk4AYy0I

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Indeed, gently caress immersion. While you're there, add the butcher and call it torchlight 3 for good measure.

Uh, the original game was an ARPG too? Also, I dunno how in the world you think an isometric rpg is more immersive than an first/third person ARPG.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think it being a third person game would be good for Obsidian - branch out a bit. Alpha Protocol was a pretty great first try at that sort of game. Unfortunately a lot of people were expected more Splinter Cell than Deus Ex with the skill mechanics.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nah, the problem was people were expecting a straight TPS like Mass Effect 2.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Didn't help the game was barely playable. I had to return it and repurchase for console myself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Kyros I find it funny that stuff sworn on Kyros's name has to be factually correct under threat of death.

On Kyros sex or gender. Given that we apparently are never going to meet Kyros and Kyros is never referred to by he or she in game. I will go for the third option. Kyros does not actually exist and is actually just a scam of some kind.

If my random guess about this is right I will give the first person who quotes this $10. (Can't go too high I could somehow be right.)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

On Kyros sex or gender. Given that we apparently are never going to meet Kyros and Kyros is never referred to by he or she in game. I will go for the third option. Kyros does not actually exist and is actually just a scam of some kind.

If my random guess about this is right I will give the first person who quotes this $10. (Can't go too high I could somehow be right.)

Kyros definitely does exist, there is way too much credited to the Overlord and their Edicts carry a lot of power for it to be an invention of the more powerful Archons. It is definitely not a Wizard of Oz scenario. (warning, spoilers for a 116 years old book)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

*boooooo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZearothK posted:

Kyros definitely does exist, there is way too much credited to the Overlord and their Edicts carry a lot of power for it to be an invention of the more powerful Archons. It is definitely not a Wizard of Oz scenario. (warning, spoilers for a 116 years old book)

I agree. But If we are both wrong you get rewarded.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

CommissarMega posted:

'Probably'? They're elves.

True that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ZearothK posted:

That's also a spoiler for the movie Zardoz.

On Kyros, yeah, I think Kyros is going to stay a "they/them" for magical mystery reasons, it doesn't seem like we're likely to meet them in the game, but I would be disappointed if it turned out to be a fakeout situation. But one thing that could be true, and could answer the obvious "how is Kyros so powerful?" question, is that Kyros is sort of a collective name for something that either is or was multiple entities.

How important do we expect the Oldwalls to be for that question? They're definitely gonna turn out central to the plot--when you look at the map, check out how the tower in the valley looks just like the Oldwalls towers.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Uh, the original game was an ARPG too? Also, I dunno how in the world you think an isometric rpg is more immersive than an first/third person ARPG.

I don't think "immersiveness" has anything to do with the camera angle.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What if the camera's underwater? :smuggo:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it won't be truly immersive until you control your character from a colonoscopy camera

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AriadneThread posted:

it won't be truly immersive until you control your character from a colonoscopy camera

That does give a new meaning to the name "Oculus Rift"

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Why are you putting spoiler tags on story speculations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Why are you putting spoiler tags on story speculations?

I don't know how much of the preview material people have gone and watched, and I respect that some people want to go into a game blind without knowing about dungeons they can expect to come up in the future, characters that might return, etc.

• Locked thread