Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Kara + daxamite, Jimmy + Snapper, Alex + lady cop and the Martians.

Don't forget Lena + Kara.

Remember, they've said one character is going to reconsider their sexuality this season. I'm pretty sure they're going to hook up Alex and Maggie, but I'm still holding out hope for a gay Supergirl if only because it would make SO many comics nerd heads explode.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I'm a geek for this sort of thing, but I loved that there was a little callback to John William's Krypton theme while Kara was telling Mon-El Daxam's fate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-vz4Gdtrvc&t=27s

More John Williams in Superman-related media is welcome.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm glad that this week's episode was as fun as it was. I was concerned that it'd lose something without Clark, but removing him allowed the new characters time to shine!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Considering how thick they laid on the moral this episode I'm surprised that the Daxomite asking for ale didn't turn into a special message about alcoholism

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how much the Hillary campaign paid for this weeks episode time. Ah well, fire beast Lindsey Lohan was enigmatic.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 25, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Selachian posted:

Remember, they've said one character is going to reconsider their sexuality this season. I'm pretty sure they're going to hook up Alex and Maggie, but I'm still holding out hope for a gay Supergirl if only because it would make SO many comics nerd heads explode.

She used to date a horse.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Selachian posted:

It'll be Winn. He will date a robot AND an alien.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

R-Type posted:

I wonder how much the Hillary campaign paid for this weeks episode time.

Huh?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Hollismason posted:

I wonder if they'll keep the Daxamite vulnerability to lead which was always kind of dumb to have someone have a allergic to lead weakness because they'd just die on earth because we literally have Lead in the Air, Water, in our Food etc..
If it goes anything like the comics, I'm sure they have him be very slowly but inevitably poisoned by all the lead on Earth over the course of the season, and just as he falls in love with Kara he'll have to leave for the Phantom Zone to save his life.

I loved this episode! The effects seem somehow even better than the last two (but then...fire is one of the less difficult effects out there). The story was coherent and resonant, with a lot of Gay (tm). I liked all of the alien-related worldbuilding that they did; National City always seemed kind of claustrophobic and insular last year, possibly because we spent so much of it in a literal cave, but with these three episodes they've been consistently establishing what type of...well, what type of Earth this is, what with the relationship between humans and aliens, between aliens and other aliens, all that. It's the sort of thoughtful worldbuilding we're not really seeing in...ah, some other comparable shows, where...oh let's say...hundreds of superhumans are suddenly introduced to an otherwise totally normal world but everyone's mostly just like, eh who cares? Just kill 'em or whatever.

I kinda wish M'gann had just transformed into a green lady with red hair but, okay, I see why they didn't do that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It'll be Winn. He will date a robot AND an alien.

Winn will build a robot and then date it :eng101:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

If it goes anything like the comics, I'm sure they have him be very slowly but inevitably poisoned by all the lead on Earth over the course of the season, and just as he falls in love with Kara he'll have to leave for the Phantom Zone to save his life.

I loved this episode! The effects seem somehow even better than the last two (but then...fire is one of the less difficult effects out there). The story was coherent and resonant, with a lot of Gay (tm). I liked all of the alien-related worldbuilding that they did; National City always seemed kind of claustrophobic and insular last year, possibly because we spent so much of it in a literal cave, but with these three episodes they've been consistently establishing what type of...well, what type of Earth this is, what with the relationship between humans and aliens, between aliens and other aliens, all that. It's the sort of thoughtful worldbuilding we're not really seeing in...ah, some other comparable shows, where...oh let's say...hundreds of superhumans are suddenly introduced to an otherwise totally normal world but everyone's mostly just like, eh who cares? Just kill 'em or whatever.

I kinda wish M'gann had just transformed into a green lady with red hair but, okay, I see why they didn't do that.

I also really enjoyed this episode, a little heavy handed with the morality bits, but that's just very DC/superman-esque so I just have to deal with it.

I'm looking forward to more team ups and JLA and/or titans stories. They seem to be gearing up the world for more super powered folk, don't see why they wouldn't add in more heroes to the cast as guest heroes at least. With all the alien stuff I wouldn't even be surprised if they get add in some green lantern too.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

nine-gear crow posted:

Winn will build a robot and then date it :eng101:

Agents of Shield is already doing this storyline.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So the Kevin Smith episode is going to be titled Supergirl Lives.

Just a joke reference, or a hint of things to come?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I get a kick out of the probable Alex and Maggie romance, because the only other place I've seen Maggie's actress before is on the short-lived ABC show The Family, where she played a reporter that started the main character's sister's first lesbian relationship. Just feels like very specific typecasting.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I liked that at one point the show was girls saving girls, girls interviewing girls, girls being president, girls teaming up with girls, girls fighting girls, and then at the end we get a potential new female addition to the cast (Martian Ma'amhunter). That episode was pretty great. Still not sure what's up with Linda Carter at the end. Did the real president get kidnapped and that's a doppelganger, or is the president an undercover alien?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If the PResident was Linda Carter she was delivering her lines TERRIBLY. It seemed like she was reading off half-complete cards. I know they wanted the President to sound impressive and powerful and wise, but god it was awful listening to her try to speak.

Also, this episode seemed really preachy and/or middle-grade. I agree with most of what they espouse, but it was done with all the repetitive subtlety of an avalanche of bricks.

The first 'racist' reaction by supergirl's sister when she learned everyone at the bar was an alien was retarded. She was just going to shoot a bunch of peaceful, non-acting-like-criminal aliens with her pistol? All of 'em?

James and Snapper's catfighting while James is trying to find his own path was funny. Snapper's smackdown of Kara regarding her op-ed piece was great. Kara's enthusiasm at meeting the President was great. Supergirl's sister going on field missions with her special bazooka remains hilarious. Why doesn't every DEO soldier have a bazooka, given that normal guns don't work?

I stopped watching halfway through. This is still the best CW superhero show, however.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 25, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Fun episode and I'm glad the loss of Tiny Clark hasn't drained momentum. Double happy that, so far, Kara shrugged off the Jimmy relationship thing and they've remained professional and friends without any "oh did I make the right decision" crap. I'm hoping they keep Lena at face value given they already did the "tech billionaire becomes a kinda-villain" plot last year.

How does Kara know about Daxam? She left right before Krypton blew, so knowing the exact details of what the explosion did to Daxam seems a bit odd. Same with Hank knowing. I can't imagine it as having been information in Fort Rozz's database either given it was in the Phantom Zone during Krypton's destruction.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Somebody went to Krypton in between it blowing up and now to see what was left? :shrug:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I kind of assumed since Kryptonians were supposed to be the "super-nerds" they figured out what would happen to Daxam and just didn't give a poo poo about warning them, since they hated the denizens of it anyway.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe Clark told her, vacation '07.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mostly my thing is if they know about planets in other solar systems how come they don't know about alien bars and police units in their own city?

There's apparently enough of a transient alien community in National City to keep a bar afloat and fire lady implied she just planet hops with what I assume is a space ship. The DEO should be all Men in Black setting flight plans and poo poo but instead J'onn JUST found out that there's an alien bar where another Martian works. And that only happened by dumb chance because his partner got sexually curious.

I'm just having fun at their expense since I enjoy this show enough to look past it. I just think its funny how the DEO clearly seemed to be a poorly thought out idea completely constructed around Kara and the Kryptonians so as they expand their world they look really incompetent.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Eh. Alien immigration/integration was pretty thinly used as an allegory for the rl refugee crisis, one of the many issues the two rl presidential candidates disagree upon. There were a ton of little things like lena luthor trying to leverage xenophobia into profit by openly tagging aliens that could be interpreted as jabs at one side's rl policies and the like and in general it was a pretty politics heavy episode with a definite bias in its presentation. You could probably read snapper's criticism of kara's original article as being a meta commentary on the writing staff being unable to contain their personal views when hammering out an episode.

Of course Trump is the closest thing we have to a real life comic book villain so its unsurprising the writers are borrowing a little from current events :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Drifter posted:

If the PResident was Linda Carter she was delivering her lines TERRIBLY. It seemed like she was reading off half-complete cards. I know they wanted the President to sound impressive and powerful and wise, but god it was awful listening to her try to speak.

She was basing her cadence and enunciation on Hillary, not to mention style of dress. Didn't really think it was that subtle but here we are.

Also the entire point was "WHY, THE PRESIDENT WAS AN ALIEN ALL ALONG!" which I'm okay with.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mortanis posted:

How does Kara know about Daxam? She left right before Krypton blew, so knowing the exact details of what the explosion did to Daxam seems a bit odd. Same with Hank knowing. I can't imagine it as having been information in Fort Rozz's database either given it was in the Phantom Zone during Krypton's destruction.

Either Braniac/Eradicator/whatever the gently caress her pod's AI was put it in her brain during stasis or, more likely, she just got bored and surfed through Hubble feeds of random galaxies at work.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chokes McGee posted:

She was basing her cadence and enunciation on Hillary, not to mention style of dress. Didn't really think it was that subtle but here we are.

Also the entire point was "WHY, THE PRESIDENT WAS AN ALIEN ALL ALONG!" which I'm okay with.

I know they were doing the Hillary/Trump comparisons, but I didn't get that style of speech being Hillary's at all. I still don't see it. I'll take your word for it, though. I guess it makes sense. She still sounded awful.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Klungar posted:

Agents of Shield is already doing this storyline.

Buffy did it first.

After dating the robot Winn will become a villain, try to kill Kara, accidentally kill Maggie and get skinned alive by Alex.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mortanis posted:

Clark's been on Earth for around 30 years, and Kara's been there 15, so presumably they and/or the DEO looked into it during that time. Assuming another alien didn't; there are apparently tons of them on Earth and they aren't all from Fort Rozz.

Unless your question is, "how far away is Krypton's solar system, and how can they meaningfully observe it?" And, you know, sure: they couldn't probably. But if you accept that passably humanlike aliens built FTL spaceships to send their children to Earth, it doesn't seem any more unreasonable for alien magi-science to explain FTL astronomical observation.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

hard counter posted:

Eh. Alien immigration/integration was pretty thinly used as an allegory for the rl refugee crisis, one of the many issues the two rl presidential candidates disagree upon. There were a ton of little things like lena luthor trying to leverage xenophobia into profit by openly tagging aliens that could be interpreted as jabs at one side's rl policies and the like and in general it was a pretty politics heavy episode with a definite bias in its presentation. You could probably read snapper's criticism of kara's original article as being a meta commentary on the writing staff being unable to contain their personal views when hammering out an episode.

Of course Trump is the closest thing we have to a real life comic book villain so its unsurprising the writers are borrowing a little from current events :v:

I think ending it with "you're right, some mexicans are rapists!" kind of undercuts the struggle she was having early on in the episode. So I wouldn't exactly say this was a "pro-Hillary" episode. Unless you're suggesting Hillary Clinton is a secret reptilian... of course, it's so obvious now!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Licarn posted:

Buffy did it first.

After dating the robot Winn will become a villain, try to kill Kara, accidentally kill Maggie and get skinned alive by Alex.

There was an episode of Batman Beyond titled "Terry's friend dates a robot" where Terry's friend buys a robot girlfriend from a shady company.

I agree that Linda Carter's acting came off as just completely horrible. It was really wooden and awkward.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

There has not been enough Winn this season. I appreciate the snark and humor and I don't think he gets enough meaningful lines and attention.

Melissa Benoist is incredible as Super Girl. I might like her more than season one Barry Allen. Super Girls sophomore season is looking promising.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I said to myself "They're gonnnna fuuuuuck" when Alex and Maggie were being all antagonist as a joke, and well, yea that's clearly where they're headed.

I am space racist too because I just assumed that was going to be Sadam Yot, becuase I think all Daximites look the same. Though really because I will never, ever give up hope Supergirl is the show that has Green Lantern stuff on it. Half expected The Ginger Torch to be Starfire.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

twistedmentat posted:

Half expected The Ginger Torch to be Starfire.

They mentioned the waitress learned the language by touching the dorsum of the tongue and all I could think about was Starfire kissing Robin on Teen Titans and learning English.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

There has not been enough Winn this season. I appreciate the snark and humor and I don't think he gets enough meaningful lines and attention.

Melissa Benoist is incredible as Super Girl. I might like her more than season one Barry Allen. Super Girls sophomore season is looking promising.

Hell yeah on both points. The Flash with all the time travel resets and will they won't they plot lines is getting a little boring and repetitive, not to mention convoluted. Supergirl is definitely the frontrunner for best superhero show on TV right now for me.

twistedmentat posted:

Though really because I will never, ever give up hope Supergirl is the show that has Green Lantern stuff on it. Half expected The Ginger Torch to be Starfire.

For a second I thought the same thing, there was definitely a purple glow when the glass started bubbling (or at least my mind tricked me into thinking it was purple). I am definitely hoping we'll get some live action GL stuff that isn't garbage for once.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The fake president is obviously whatever a DC Skrull is, and the real president is Wonder Woman.

Please, let's have at least two characters in the Arrowverse reprise their previous hero roles.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pyroi posted:

The fake president is obviously whatever a DC Skrull is, and the real president is Wonder Woman.

Please, let's have at least two characters in the Arrowverse reprise their previous hero roles.

Now that I think about it, something like that would be the most "ha hah gently caress you" solution to the Batman problem the shows sort of have dangling in the background. Bruce Wayne exists in the Arrowverse, but he's oldass man Bruce Wayne played by Adam West. He's just living his life as a quiet retired old billionaire and his Batman days are long behind him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Would that mean Terry McGinnis would join Arrow?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 26, 2016

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'd rather have David Mazouz show up for an episode personally.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
That was, by far, the worse episode of Supergirl so far, I found very little to like about the plot or most of the characterisation, but I'm glad Alex is getting a hot new girlfriend to hang out in leather jackets with.

Does anyone else think that with this big crossover coming up, combined with flashpoint, that they might use it as a means to combine the two universes into one?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The villains of the crossover are going to be the Dominators, right? Presumably, for Supergirl, that'll end up creating some sort of public anti-alien hysteria which will cause problems for the rest of this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Assuming the Dominators attack Kara's earth. It could be that Barry drags her over to Earth-1 to help fight them off.