Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm pretty surprised they haven't added a second bye week already. It gives players extra rest and time to practice. Gives the networks another week of games. And fans can enjoy another week of fantasy football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/realskipbayless/status/790278410450767872

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lions/status/790285694413463552

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

lol

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/790577427902672896

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The NBA is going to do a big celebration for Craig Sager tomorrow on opening night :unsmith:

THERE ARE SAGER-DESIGNED NIKE AIR FORCE ONES :stare:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This does not strike me as a very good sign :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

This does not strike me as a very good sign :(

Probably not, but good to see them doing this while he's still alive.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SNF got mollywhopped by Walking Dead in the only demo that matters

Awful Announcing posted:

NBC’s Sunday Night Football has already taken ratings hits this season down 15% overall from last season. But when you add the season 7 premiere of AMC’s The Walking Dead to the mix, it’s not a surprise that SNF took another hit.

The ratings phenomenon that is TWD won its timeslot over all competition on both broadcast and cable with an overall viewership of 17 million viewers and an 8.4 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic. And in the 25-54 demo, The Walking Dead S7 kickoff which saw another two characters killed, the show registered an impressive 8.7 rating which is a record.

As for the Seattle-Arizona 6-6 tie which excruciating and painful to watch, NBC garnered an 11.6 overnight rating. In the 18-49 category, SNF averaged a 5.4 rating and a preliminary average of 15.89 million viewers.

I get that TWD is a huge show and everyone was hype as hell for the season premiere, but SNF getting handily beat by a cable TV show is pretty hilarious.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

NFL Ratings are getting worse.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/nfl-ratings-are-still-way-down-and-getting-worse.html

Regional numbers are down but not nearly as much as primetime. I think this shows that people are willing to follow their local team but are starting to just not give a gently caress about watching five games a day.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There aren't a lot of great games this year. Plus my team is the Dolphins and nobody gives a drat about them anymore.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

That's not the first time I've heard of the Walking Dead beating Sunday Night Football demo-wise. But yeah, the night games haven't been great

The next Thursday night game is the annual Titans-Jaguars classic

The next Monday night game involves the godawful Bears

Eagles-Cowboys should be better unless the Cubs are about to clinch the World Series

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wouldn't that be hilarious if an actual important divisional game between 2 good teams with 2 good rookie qbs gets crushed by Baseball flaunting its million year old year history or whatever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have to think WS ratings will be up because of the historical significance

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have to think WS ratings will be up because of the historical significance

yeah the Cubs/Dodgers series did massive numbers as I recall.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
People complained about the Walking Dead premier being brutal and hard to watch, and yet that many people watched Seahawks/Cardinals????????

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Indians/Cubs did spectacular overnight ratings, the best since 2009

quote:

According to Sports Media Watch, Game 1’s 12.6 overnight rating was the second-highest among all World Series games during the past five years. Only 2014’s Game 7 between the Royals and Giants was higher (15.2). And to shovel some more dirt on NFL ratings, Tuesday’s mark drew a higher overnight rating than every NFL primetime telecast aired during the past month — or since Week 3 of this season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DJExile posted:

yeah the Cubs/Dodgers series did massive numbers as I recall.

FS1 is running ads saying they're the #1 rated sports network and in really small letters on the bottom it shows the dates the NLCS ran through.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Marquis de Pyro posted:

People complained about the Walking Dead premier being brutal and hard to watch, and yet that many people watched Seahawks/Cardinals????????

That will end up being GOTY, mark my words.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Local cleveland Fox affiliate with some top notch shade

https://twitter.com/dmovius/status/791127456208064512?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

I didn't pay much attention to the ALCS, so could someone please explain this to me?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BasicFunk posted:

I didn't pay much attention to the ALCS, so could someone please explain this to me?

The TBS coverage was notorious for wrong graphics, gigantic score bugs on screen, name misspellings everywhere, you name it.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Oh my drat! I don't claim to know all about TV production, but that kind of loving up takes effort.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BasicFunk posted:

Oh my drat! I don't claim to know all about TV production, but that kind of loving up takes effort.

Yeah this was a mess from every which way. Snafus with graphics are going to happen every once in a while, that's the nature of TV. But this is the kind of stuff that even public access can handle, and you can't blame everything on technology. So either TBS had brand-spaking new people working in the truck who were still rookies to TV production, or they had layoffs and were running a skeleton crew.

E: It's also at least possible this wasn't TBS's own crew. Sometimes companies will just hire local production staffs to work their trucks for the games so they're not paying to travel everyone. I've done this on a far smaller scale around Ohio for one of my side jobs.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

DJExile posted:

Yeah this was a mess from every which way. Snafus with graphics are going to happen every once in a while, that's the nature of TV. But this is the kind of stuff that even public access can handle, and you can't blame everything on technology. So either TBS had brand-spaking new people working in the truck who were still rookies to TV production, or they had layoffs and were running a skeleton crew.

E: It's also at least possible this wasn't TBS's own crew. Sometimes companies will just hire local production staffs to work their trucks for the games so they're not paying to travel everyone. I've done this on a far smaller scale around Ohio for one of my side jobs.

It would be insane for TBS to completely outsource to local production for the playoffs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

soggybagel posted:

It would be insane for TBS to completely outsource to local production for the playoffs.

Y'know I'd have thought the same a while ago but these days everyone seems to be cutting costs and I wouldn't put it past them.

The odds of it are still really drat low, granted, but I wouldn't rule it out.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The best "local production" is when NFL preseason games get done by local affiliates and the announcers are like, the sports guy and the weather guy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
better than preseason football deserves tbh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Did anyone catch last night's ESPN showing of a high school game that included a school for the deaf? I didn't hear about it until today and it sounds pretty cool.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

The best "local production" is when NFL preseason games get done by local affiliates and the announcers are like, the sports guy and the weather guy.

A lot of the time the color guy is a an ex-player who still lives in the area. The Lions have had Desmond Howard on a few and Nate Burleson a couple of years ago. Nate was actually really good at it! Maybe his NFL Network gig will lead to the booth some day.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

THEY DIDN'T HEAR ABOUT IT EITHER

*slam dunks on a deaf kid, kick flips away*

In reality though that's really cool and I'm hoping ESPN budget cuts gets them back to niche cool stuff like this instead of insufferable talking heads 24/7

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh son of a bitch I teed that up so well

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this looks bad

https://twitter.com/JimMiller/status/792398267745234944

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ESPN/Disney are fools if they weren't anticipating this mass exodus from cable. ESPN is gonna get got much like the record companies did with the advent of Napster. Millennials care not about professional sports and even less about cable tv. ESPN's bread and butter demo just aren't that interested and it's not looking to change anytime soon.

The four-letter is in big big trouble but it is all on them for being too stubborn and unwilling to adapt. Their days of swimming in their vault of gold doubloons like Scrooge McDuck are coming to a close.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Robnoxious posted:

ESPN/Disney are fools if they weren't anticipating this mass exodus from cable. ESPN is gonna get got much like the record companies did with the advent of Napster. Millennials care not about professional sports and even less about cable tv. ESPN's bread and butter demo just aren't that interested and it's not looking to change anytime soon.

The four-letter is in big big trouble but it is all on them for being too stubborn and unwilling to adapt. Their days of swimming in their vault of gold doubloons like Scrooge McDuck are coming to a close.

Good thing they sunk all that money into a vanity set for SportsCenter. And garbage NFL football.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does that count Sling/Vue subscribers?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Does that count Sling/Vue subscribers?
Doubtful.
I'm sure those numbers are infinitesimal in the grand scheme of things the piece cites.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Record companies didn't get ruined by Napster. They are doing better than ever now that they convinced people to stream music instead of buying it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Record companies didn't get ruined by Napster. They are doing better than ever now that they convinced people to stream music instead of buying it

They certainly acted like that was the case at the time.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

Good thing they sunk all that money into a vanity set for SportsCenter. And garbage NFL football.
Don't forget literally tripling their outlay on the NBA overnight.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

Don't forget literally tripling their outlay on the NBA overnight.

I don't remember this, what was that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

I don't remember this, what was that about?
The new NBA TV deal triples the amount they receive for broadcast rights.