Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'd almost push for a goonwiki on it, but with Jupiter Hell's kickstarter finally on the horizon, I don't know if anyone would go in on it. There's a blessed fortune cookie joke about the old wiki somewhere in there, but hell if I can find it.

Relatedly:

First HNTR win! :toot:

Congratulations! Post the mortem (and replay, if you have it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ToxicFrog posted:

Congratulations! Post the mortem (and replay, if you have it).
I haven't been playing server because dumb reasons (I like tiles okay) but I've got the mortem.

code:
--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Doomdude, level 11 Former Human Private FC Marine,
 defeated the Mastermind at the City of Dis.
 He survived 102144 turns and scored 107282 points. 
 He played for 3 hours, 26 minutes and 48 seconds. 
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 693 out of 693 hellspawn. (100%)
 This rear end-kicking marine killed all of them!

He saved himself once.

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited   : 6
  Levels completed : 6

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice
  UAC Star (bronze cluster)
  UAC Star (silver cluster)
  Hell Armorer Badge
  Hell Champion Medal
  Armorer Bronze Badge
  UAC Bronze Badge
  Veteran Bronze Badge
  Brick Bronze Badge
  Skull Bronze Badge
  Arena Bronze Badge
  Arachno Bronze Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  #>#####################................................####
  ######################...............####...............###
  #####################.......####.....####.....####.......##
  ####################........####.....####.....####........#
  ###################.........####.....####.....####.........
  ######################......####..............####......###
  #################....#..................................#..
  #################....####............................####..
  #################...&.##.............................####..
  #################.........%..........................####&.
  #################....................................####..
  #################.......................................#..
  #################.............................####......###
  #################....................####.....####.........
  ##################....X..............####.....####........#
  ###################..................####.....####.......##
  ###################..................####...............###
  #>################.....................................####
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 60/60   Experience 57468/11
  ToHit Ranged +2  ToHit Melee +2  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Marine

Finesse          (Level 2)
    Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Reloader         (Level 2)
    Eagle Eye        (Level 1)
    Dodgemaster      (Level 1)
    Badass           (Level 2)
    Shottyman        (Level 1)

Rel->Rel->SM->Bad->HR->HR->DM->EE->Bad->Fin->Fin->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   powered red armor [5/5] (79%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   missile launcher (6d6) [2/4]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   tactical boots [0/0] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   power battery (x20)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] super shotgun (9d4)x2 [2/2] (P1)
    [b] high power BFG 9000 (12d6) [25/65]
    [c] energy shield [0/0] (97%)
    [d] shotgun shell (x2)
    [e] shotgun shell (x50)
    [f] large med-pack
    [g] large med-pack
    [h] large med-pack
    [i] large med-pack
    [j] large med-pack
    [k] large med-pack
    [l] large med-pack
    [m] power mod pack
    [n] agility mod pack
    [o] agility mod pack
    [p] agility mod pack
    [q] bulk mod pack
    [r] sniper weapon pack
    [s] shell box (x85)
    [t] shell box (x100)
    [u] shell box (x22)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Melee      - internal 0%    torso 25%   feet 0%   
    Fire       - internal 0%    torso 50%   feet 0%   

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

88 former humans
    85 former sergeants
    25 former captains
    106 imps
    45 demons
    207 lost souls
    30 cacodemons
    18 hell knights
    18 barons of hell
    14 arachnotrons
    8 former commandos
    16 pain elementals
    6 revenants
    8 mancubi
    6 arch-viles
    5 elite former humans
    2 elite former sergeants
    2 bruiser brothers
    1 shambler
    1 agony elemental
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 Spider Mastermind

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 7 he marched into the Military Base.
  On level 7 he assembled a tactical boots!
  He purified his fellow comrades.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 9 he entered Hell's Armory.
  On level 9 he assembled a micro launcher!
  He destroyed the evil within and reaped the rewards!
  On level 11 he assembled a power armor!
  On level 11 he arrived at the Containment Area.
  He emerged from the Containment Area victorious!
  On level 12 he romped upon the Abyssal Plains.
  He slaughtered the beasts living there.
  On level 14 he ventured into the Spider's Lair.
  On level 14 he assembled a high power weapon!
  He cleared the Lair, kickin' serious spider rear end!
  He sounded the alarm on level 15!
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  On level 17, hell froze over!
  Then at last he found Dis!
  On level 24 he finally defeated the Mastermind.

-- Messages -------------------------------------------------- 

The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched! 
 Fire -- Choose target... 
 You see : a Spider Mastermind (almost dead) | floor | [ m ]ore 
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched! 
 Boom! Boom! You dodge! Boom! You are hit! Boom! You dodge! Boom! 
 Fire -- Choose target... 
 You see : a Spider Mastermind (almost dead) | blood | [ m ]ore 
 Targeting canceled. 
 You dodge! Boom! You dodge! Boom! You dodge! Boom! Boom! You are hit! You 
 dodge! Boom! 
 Boom! You dodge! Boom! You dodge! Boom! You dodge! Boom! Boom! You are hit! 
 Fire -- Choose target... 
 You see : a Spider Mastermind (almost dead) | blood | [ m ]ore 
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind dies. 
 Congratulations! You defeated the Spider Mastermind! Press <Enter>... 
 You feel relatively safe now. 

-- General --------------------------------------------------- 

3 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 2 of those were killed.

1 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 1 killed the bitch and survived.

Related: How the hell am I supposed to get melee to work? I tried a melee scout and was mostly just playing a lovely shotgunner half the time. Even weaving zigzag towards the targets, I'm just too open to too much for too long.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 23, 2016

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Related: How the hell am I supposed to get melee to work? I tried a melee scout and was mostly just playing a lovely shotgunner half the time. Even weaving zigzag towards the targets, I'm just too open to too much for too long.

Melee is a delicate process until you're finally able to chain berserks. There's no shame in using your pistol in the early stages, if you're not playing the Angel of Berserk challenge.
If you are sticking to pure melee, you have to be super careful. Try to never let more than one enemy see you at a time. Use doors to manipulate line of sight. Lure enemies to you by dropping items. Try to always force enemies to come to you, instead of going to them. Carry a spare knife to throw at barrels.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Rushing enemies over open ground is rarely viable as a melee build other than a Vampyre Marine or an incredibly beefy Berserker with great movespeed and dodge. You want to blindside enemies using corners and doors, so that you're in melee before they even have a chance to shoot you.

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
New build of my Square/SNES inspired dungeon crawler is up!

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57600.msg1291783#msg1291783

Windows: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Build10-23-16.rar
Mac: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Build10-23-16.app.zip

General & Dev Discord: Come say hi!
https://discord.gg/4q5kjUm

What Is This
Roguelike / dungeon crawler with a 16-bit aesthetic, inspired by games like Lufia 2, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 5-6 etc. It's intended to be more accessible, both through polished presentation and streamlined mechanics. It uses a job system very much like games such as FF5 or FF Tactics where you can switch jobs and take some abilities with you, while gaining new innate abilities in your current job. There aren't a huge number of stats and micromanagement tweaks to worry about. I want it to be more about your tactics in the dungeon, fun tactical + kinetic combat, and not about how you ruined your character by not putting enough points into the 18th skill in your passive tree or whatever :D

There's no story ingame yet but the concept is that you come from a city deep underground that is mysteriously protected from harm, with only one way up to the surface. Nobody knows how the city came to be or what is on the surface. People try to travel up and nobody comes back. You're the next one in line! A big thing will be as that as you ascend you'll start getting into some awesome steampunk/Phantasy Star style ancient technology which opens the door to fighting badass machines, or maybe even playing one yourself.

Progress
I've been working on the game for about 6 months, although only more seriously in the last 3 months (getting custom art and putting more hours in), all thanks to @madjackmcmad for teaching me how to Unity. It is DEFINITELY still very early on missing tons of gameplay content, art/music, SFX are all ripped from FF games etc. But I'm proud of the progress and mechanics developed so far. By the end of the year I want to have a decent set of balanced classes and a solid 10 floors of balanced content, along with a town hub and and overall strong presentation.

Big Important Missing Things
* A good name
* Most of the UI is not final at all (i.e. no weapon compare, clunky character/job screens)
* Environment art is coming along but there is lots to do. There will be much more variety as well as multiple tile sets
* There will be an entire town hub that is not available right now where you can buy/sell stuff, heal up etc
* Dungeon layouts are procedural but with only one algorithm. There will be more algorithms for much more diverse layouts.
* Special rooms / dungeon features... fountains, hidden rooms, merchants, all that good stuff.
* About 10 more classes and more abilities per class

Tipz
* Hit "H" for help ingame, which has some useful commands
* Don't turn off tooltips right away. They remind you how to do things like learn new abilities with JP (press "J")
* When you change jobs, you lose all "innate" skills from the previous job. But if you spend JP to master those skills you will keep them from job to job.
* As you progress in the dungeon watch for monsters that have resistance to certain damage types. Shows up in grey and it will say in the combat log too.

zirconmusic fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 23, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a general roguelikes goon discord of some kind? i'd be heavily into that

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
There's a really active and good one for /r/roguelikes https://discord.gg/9pmFGKx

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Tollymain posted:

is there a general roguelikes goon discord of some kind? i'd be heavily into that

Unormal posted:

There's a really active and good one for /r/roguelikes https://discord.gg/9pmFGKx

I second that Roguelikes discord, it's a good place. But not as good as here.

There's a Dungeonmans discord too, it gets real chatty around new patch time (tomorrow!) https://discord.gg/PPPyc

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

can confirm roguelikes discord is trill

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Biggest update yet for Axu with Alpha v0.4.0!

https://sites.google.com/site/axudev/changelog

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Biggest update yet for Axu with Alpha v0.4.0!

https://sites.google.com/site/axudev/changelog

Checking it out now, couple of things as I go along:
- First off, I really like the theme
- You put a lot of work into the UI, but it would be cool if the space key's interactivity would go a little further. Picking up things in the loot menu (enter is a little clunky I find, but that may just be me), or using space+numkey 5 to pick up stuff on the ground (I know there's 'g', but that doesn't let you interact in the loot menu either. One of those things would be cool.) Autoclosing those loot menus after getting everything would be neat too. After a while my inventory was full. Hitting d or D to drop items without going into a sub-menu every time would be really cool.
- Having 2 separate foot and hand armor but no leg armor is kind of weird. I imagine my hero pantsless. Unless that is intended.
- Hitting r or R to generate a new random name doesn't work
- Starting a new game resets the volume options (you might have nice music, but I like listening to my own while I play regardless. Having something to play while listening to music or podcasts is one of the biggest draws of roguelikes for me)
- It's a cool little thing to equip the first time around, but in the long run it's probably more convenient to have the makeshift cloak pre-equipped.
- Even though they have the same damage rating, the pistol seems to kill things much quicker than pole-arms on my previous run? I walked into enemies then and maybe it did a different attack.
- After I teleported while in combat, whenever I hit f to fire at the new enemies it would still lock on to the out of sight previous enemy. Same thing when an enemy test subject teleported.
- There's a lot of loot, but none of it is particularly interesting. Same thing with enemies. Right now you walk through corridors, use one of your starting abilities every now and then, rest, and move on, until an enemy kills you in two hits because you haven't been paying attention, because frankly there wasn't that much interesting going on in the first place. There's not a lot of interesting decision to draw you in.
- An auto-explore function would be good, I notice you already have the travel to exit function which is nice.

I'll definitely check back in with your next version! I think you've got a really solid foundation in regards to theme, mechanics, usability and prettiness, now go and make it intriguing!

Oenis fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 24, 2016

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I am not the dev, but definitely pass that feedback along to him as that's some solid reckonings~

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played some Caves of Qud and thought that the game wasn't looking very modern so I improved the graphics with some injected post processing effects.

Looks much better now!

I kid, don't lynch me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Melee I tend to go either Marine (Berserk spam) or Technician (basically unkillable but squishy before that point). Early game is hard - if you're not doing a challenge, shotgun your way through it. If you are doing a challenge, then you're going to need to abuse the way that any humanoid enemy comes beelining for medpaks. Baiting them is a matter of placing something in a doorway and lurking behind it out of their firing line, then holding down 5 until something wanders up to you.

code:
..|..
.h|@.
..+..
.h---
(In this example the top one will walk to the medpak - because it can't fire on you - and then spend its time punching you because you're right there. The bottom one will attempt to shoot you, though, so be prepared to dance out of sight to draw them into the doorway.)

As a Marine, get the chainsaw from the Chained Court. As a Technician, look out for Bulk and Power mods and try to make a pair of chainswords. These count as knives, so they'll activate Malicious Blade's insane resist boosts and allow you to attack with both at once. You could just use chainsaw+knife but I like the accuracy and I think any damage boost from Brute is double-tapped this way.

Later, Marine survives by being constantly berserk, while the Malicious Blades technician suddenly doesn't give a poo poo about fire, ballistic, or melee damage. Marines probably want to build towards being hunks of meat once they have their capstone, Technicians can get a lot of benefit out of Whizkid 2 and trying to make some cerberus boots (any boot + PPTA) then putting an Agility mod on them, and then making their choice of big beefy armor. Bonus points if you find O or N packs. Both classes want to go into the Unholy Cathedral and should be able to walk through it with ease, and both can wield the lance. (Technician just keeps the knife in their offhand slot, and doesn't attack with it.)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Stelas posted:

Later, Marine survives by being constantly berserk, while the Malicious Blades technician suddenly doesn't give a poo poo about fire, ballistic, or melee damage. Marines probably want to build towards being hunks of meat once they have their capstone, Technicians can get a lot of benefit out of Whizkid 2 and trying to make some cerberus boots (any boot + PPTA) then putting an Agility mod on them, and then making their choice of big beefy armor. Bonus points if you find O or N packs. Both classes want to go into the Unholy Cathedral and should be able to walk through it with ease, and both can wield the lance. (Technician just keeps the knife in their offhand slot, and doesn't attack with it.)

What armor would you go after with this build? Especially if you didn't find any O or N packs. Also, what's your strategy after getting malicious blades in the mid-to-late game? Radar shooting with your best shotgun, luring mobs and finish them in melee? The build sounds good, never did a melee build outside the marine class.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

What armor would you go after with this build? Especially if you didn't find any O or N packs.

The Angelic Armour :unsmigghh:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

What armor would you go after with this build? Especially if you didn't find any O or N packs. Also, what's your strategy after getting malicious blades in the mid-to-late game? Radar shooting with your best shotgun, luring mobs and finish them in melee? The build sounds good, never did a melee build outside the marine class.

For armor, basically whatever you find. If you get lucky with normal mods, a cerberus armor (A) can be pretty cool, but the boots should be your priority. Hell, you could just carry around a couple blue or red (P) armors and switch between them. In general - plasma aside - your damage and your armor wear will be way down.

After getting malicious blades I run around with paired chainswords or the Lance beating poo poo up, basically! By that point your movement speed should be significant, and you don't have a lot to take except Yet More Brute And Hellrunner. Provided you don't run anywhere really stupid (mancubi are still really loving annoying, just for the knockback, while captains and brothers can still take a surprising chunk of you) you're going to generally be fine.

e: you theoretically could try taking on the Mortuary. Theoretically. If you're not on a challenge, I guess, and are happy to swing something big and shooty around while you hold a knife in your off-hand.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Stelas posted:

Hell, you could just carry around a couple blue or red (P) armors and switch between them. In general - plasma aside - your damage and your armor wear will be way down.
I'd actually recommend carrying a backup suit of blue armour for exactly that reason - IIRC it has a decent bit of plasma resistance, and it's less encumbering than red armour. If you need to dodge and weave through the plasmatic hellstorm a bunch of Former Commandos and Arachnotrons are laying down, a Power-modded blue armour is very handy to have on hand, but even a regular suit is helpful Just In Case your main suit gets blasted to hell at the worst possible time. Pretty easy to replace, too.

Just don't forget to swap back to something beefier before engaging Arch-Viles and Mancubi - that blue armour won't do poo poo against the massive fire damage they can dish out.

Stelas posted:

e: you theoretically could try taking on the Mortuary. Theoretically. If you're not on a challenge, I guess, and are happy to swing something big and shooty around while you hold a knife in your off-hand.
Clearing the Mortuary on Angel of Berserk loving rules but yeah it's hellishly dangerous. Vampyre Marines are surprisingly good at it since rampaging through mobs of resurrected chaff in an unending bloodbath is a great way to heal yourself, stay perpetually berserk, and keep weak enemies interposed between you and Barons/Arachnotrons/etc, but you'll still want to bring lots of strong consumables and your A game. I especially recommend the various skulls; their usefulness is often dubious in the main game, but holy hell they're spectacular in the Mortuary if used cleverly. Being able to look an Arch-Vile in the eye and laugh while you turn its mountains of resurrection fodder into health, berserk duration, or fiery explosions is exactly as good as it sounds.

If you're not on AoB, you will absolutely want to bring like a BFG or something. The Mortuary doesn't gently caress around. The reward for clearing it after clearing the Unholy Cathedral is absolutely loving incredible though.

e: now that I think about it, a Malicious Blades character with the Angelic set and a blade in the offhand would essentially be goddamn near immune (95% resistance) to bullets and shrapnel, and would have 50% resistance and 11 armour against fire and melee, making them ridiculously tanky against almost everything - except plasma, against which they'd have to rely purely on armour and dodging. So I guess an endgame Malicious Blades angel knight has to be careful around plasma enemies as always, but can feel free to melee 600 Former Captains at once :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 26, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I've played a lot of roguelikes and don't like dcss but like cataclysm and think tome4 is gods gift to man

will I like caves of qud

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love TOME and not many other roguelikes and I also love Caves Of Qud. Just keep in mind that you will need to learn a handful of keys and then everything will be great.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I've played a lot of roguelikes and don't like dcss but like cataclysm and think tome4 is gods gift to man

absolutely unacceptable. consider this troll, REPORTED.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

will I like caves of qud

the best predictor for liking qud is probably liking adom but wishing the spell system weren't as dumb

the non-mutation-based combat is obnoxiously random, it's got a nasty case of caster supremacy, and there's some ADOM/Nethack-esque spoiler bullshit to it but it's got a modern UI and a cooldown-based "spell" system which are both huge improvements over the older games

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
It doesn't perfectly even it out, but i feel like the revamped tinker system being a lot easier for true kin to get into because of bonus attributes/skill points helps them out a whole lot. Mods are relatively cheap at stores and there is no limit to how many you can stack on a single item.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Qud was my Cataclysm before Cataclysm, you'll like it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jack Trades posted:

I played some Caves of Qud and thought that the game wasn't looking very modern so I improved the graphics with some injected post processing effects.

Looks much better now!

I kid, don't lynch me.

If you could do two things to make this much worse:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

- Constant 80s pop music, muffled like it's being played on the other side of a wall.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Poison Mushroom posted:

- Constant 80s pop music, muffled like it's being played on the other side of a wall.

This is brilliant.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, apparently my post about my first DoomRL win was post #22222 for me, so... :toot:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I was reading this thread a lot yesterday and inspired by it I decided to get Caves of Qud and Dungeonmans. Both are really good, but I'm also still very bad at them.

Since Dungeonmans seems to get compared to Dungeons of Dredmor a lot I decided to share my two cents: I've had Dungeons of Dredmor for a long time but it never really clicked. It looks nice and all but feels really slow, and the UI doesn't really do it for me. In comparison to that, Dungeonmans feels fast-paced and even though the combat is still mostly bumping into enemies until they die the various movement abilities make it feel more visceral and interesting.

I already posted in the Dungeonmans thread for help to alleviate my badness in the game and I'll probably do the same in the Caves of Qud thread, but if anyone in the Roguelike thread has some good tips to share go on ahead.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Ratpick posted:

I was reading this thread a lot yesterday and inspired by it I decided to get Caves of Qud and Dungeonmans. Both are really good, but I'm also still very bad at them.

Since Dungeonmans seems to get compared to Dungeons of Dredmor a lot I decided to share my two cents: I've had Dungeons of Dredmor for a long time but it never really clicked. It looks nice and all but feels really slow, and the UI doesn't really do it for me. In comparison to that, Dungeonmans feels fast-paced and even though the combat is still mostly bumping into enemies until they die the various movement abilities make it feel more visceral and interesting.

I already posted in the Dungeonmans thread for help to alleviate my badness in the game and I'll probably do the same in the Caves of Qud thread, but if anyone in the Roguelike thread has some good tips to share go on ahead.

For Caves of Qud, remember you have sprint on every character. Sprint is basically a movement infusion rune from ToME and will save your dumb rear end if you decide to try to kill a slumberling (like I always try to do when I'm not massively overpowered at the moment). Also as long as you're behind a closed door with no one else in the room with you, you're free to jack anything, so at the start of the game there's 2 chests you can loot for some starter items (and the dromad trader doesn't care if you open the one in his room, just remember to close the door). Doing so can give you a nice headstart, especially if they happen to be artifacts you don't really need, so you can instantly complete argyve's first two quests. Oh, also nobody will miss the zealot either AND he drops a book that sells for a fair amount.

Also if you don't mind feeling a little scummy, there are watervine farmers on the outskirts of joppa (one screen transition away from the village) that you can kill with no downside and get some good weapons/merchant fodder. Though mind you, they're using the weapons too so they can hit quite hard if you don't take them out quickly.

For initial stat spreads, don't worry too much about raising strength too much initially, since all weapons have a cap to how much strength can affect them (the one exception being the horns mutation, which effectively has unlimited scaling due to its max penetration value being 1000) with the best weapons being able to use up to a +10 bonus (so about 36 strength). This actually kinda messed me up at first, so I ended up more often than not going with low int, low ego builds and taking forever to get the skills I needed and basically being unable to buy upgrades very often at all.

Finally, don't feel like you're playing a boring version of the game if you pick True Kin, their skill point bonus means they get to play around with far more skills at the same time than mutants can, not to mention higher overall base stats. Though to be fair, I'd like to see minor cybernetic augments you can find and use to kinda even up the gap between them in the mid-late game, when mutations really start to shine.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Ratpick posted:

Someone just posted a pretty nice Qud Freshman Orientation guide: http://nightowl.pinback.space/qudguide.html

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Since the Dredmor thread seems to have vanished into the depths of the forum I will post here: I'm considering pushing a maintenance patch for Dredmor now that Clockwork Empires has shipped to make it work better on some Windows 10/OS X machines with newer revisions, to fix the save game corruption bug with Steam Cloud, and to resolve a few other minor, long-standing annoyances.

And, maybe, update the jokes for 2016, but I don't know what the kids like these days.

Questions are:

- is this actually worth my time doing? It wouldn't be until after the post-release Clockwork Empires fires have died down, but if there is an active enough community I feel it's a good idea to give it some maintenance (plus, it never hurts to give ones sales a shot in the arm.)
- is there any low-hanging fruit or other kibble worth cleaning up that has been a major annoyance over the past four years? Bear in mind we're not talking major rewrites, we're talking "I'll take a couple of weekends in a log cabin somewhere over the Christmas Holidays." This precludes dealing with the major elephant in the room, which is the inventory management for crafting; realistically, all crafted goods should just go in a big bucket and not in your major inventory, but that would be Controversial and Opening A Can of Worms.
- What has four years of post-Dredmor roguelike development even looked like?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My brain is going back to roguelike design again, and since Godsrune is still a long ways off of being completed (or even playable) because of motivation issues, I thought I might try to make something smaller and simpler. I might have mentioned it in the thread before? The working title is GBRL, Game Boy Roguelike. Eight-button controls for everything you do (UDLR, A & B, select and start), without copping out by using a B-to-menu-a-list-of-options thing.

I'm hoping it'll teach me a little better how to pull interest out of a very simple system.

So far, what I'm thinking is:
UDLR: Move, autoattack, autointeract. Facing matters, and no diagonals.
A: Attack manually? Feels redundant. Block, maybe? But that feels counter-intuitive, shouldn't block be B?
B (or A?): Use item. If it's directional, UDLR to choose a direction, or input again to cancel.
Select: Item select.
Start: Stats/menu.

My biggest sticking point so far is what to assign to A and B? I feel like if I avoid allowing a wait command, it may end up in more puzzle-roguelike territory, a la Hoplite, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
This may or may not matter to you but powder is a stripped down, pretty smooth roguelike literally built for a game boy advance and might be worth looking at.

Using A or B for a context sensitive interaction might be interesting. You're basically describing a roguelike built in an NES zelda-like tool kit. Also if you can autoattack with the dpad, facing probably doesn't matter that much, unless ranged attacks happen only on the cardinal directions and are facing dependent. That raises other questions like should you be able to turn without moving? If so does changing facing eat a turn?

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 28, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

nvining posted:

Since the Dredmor thread seems to have vanished into the depths of the forum I will post here: I'm considering pushing a maintenance patch for Dredmor now that Clockwork Empires has shipped to make it work better on some Windows 10/OS X machines with newer revisions, to fix the save game corruption bug with Steam Cloud, and to resolve a few other minor, long-standing annoyances.

- is this actually worth my time doing? It wouldn't be until after the post-release Clockwork Empires fires have died down, but if there is an active enough community I feel it's a good idea to give it some maintenance (plus, it never hurts to give ones sales a shot in the arm.)
I get the impression that around here Dredmor is respected for playing a big part in reviving the "commercial indie roguelike industry"...but people aren't playing it much any more. Probably the biggest change you could make to help diehard roguelikers play the game is make it more obvious that you can speed up the game animations, since I think that's honestly the biggest immediate barrier to enjoying the basic content of the game, crafting aside.

quote:

It's a pretty healthy community now! Thanks for your efforts. :shobon:

Poison Mushroom posted:

My brain is going back to roguelike design again, and since Godsrune is still a long ways off of being completed (or even playable) because of motivation issues, I thought I might try to make something smaller and simpler. I might have mentioned it in the thread before? The working title is GBRL, Game Boy Roguelike. Eight-button controls for everything you do (UDLR, A & B, select and start), without copping out by using a B-to-menu-a-list-of-options thing.

My biggest sticking point so far is what to assign to A and B? I feel like if I avoid allowing a wait command, it may end up in more puzzle-roguelike territory, a la Hoplite, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

If you want to strip down a game, you have to really boil it down to its core mechanics and make everything relate to those. Most roguelikes are RPG-y combat simulators, and when you boil those down you tend to get systems that are all about positioning and managing turns, which looks very puzzle-y. Alternately you could go in the Nuclear Throne direction and make an action game, but it sounds like you want something turn-based.

As for what to assign to A and B, you could consider making one be "cycle through items" and the other be "use active item". Maybe make cycling take a turn, and definitely strictly limit the number of items the player can carry -- not just because it forces them to choose what to bring with them, but also because it makes the UI less painful to use.

EDIT: regarding facing, Taskmaker is an old MacOS RPG that has facing and a separate attack command. When you hit a direction, if you're facing that direction, you move, otherwise you turn to face that direction (without using any time). It's honestly kind of clunky and doesn't add much to the game, so I'd be inclined to say that you shouldn't be able to change facing without moving. Though maybe you should be able to move without changing facing -- MicRogue does this subtly and it comes in handy on rare occasions.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 28, 2016

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I get the impression that around here Dredmor is respected for playing a big part in reviving the "commercial indie roguelike industry"...but people aren't playing it much any more. Probably the biggest change you could make to help diehard roguelikers play the game is make it more obvious that you can speed up the game animations, since I think that's honestly the biggest immediate barrier to enjoying the basic content of the game, crafting aside.

Yeah, we can do that. I looked at some of the UI decisions that were made in the game the other day when I was trying to solve similar issues in CE, and wanted to gouge my eyes out with the Dwarven Punishment Toothpick. I think the basic flaws in Dredmor right now are the crafting, some of the UI, and... well, fighting Dredmor himself just kind of... sucks? It doesn't have the same satisfaction as dealing with Rodney or something like that. Anyhow, I will look at the feedback earlier on in this thread (where I think there was some good stuff) and have a poke around to see what we can address and in what order.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The more I think about it, the more facing is starting to sound overcomplicated. Especially if I go super hardcore into the 8-bit aesthetic, making facing be clear and distinguishable and intuitive is probably more work than I'm willing to put into a warm-up project.

So, no facing. A cycling between items without using a turn and having B use them (or vice versa, I'll see how each feels), with a very strictly limited inventory (3?) feels nice, I think. The next big question comes from what to do about a full inventory and moving onto a new item. Autorewrite? Drop selected item in the square you left? (Probably going to start with this, I think.)

Maybe Start opens up the status/menu, and select opens a map?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nvining posted:

And, maybe, update the jokes for 2016, but I don't know what the kids like these days.

Questions are:

- is there any low-hanging fruit or other kibble worth cleaning up that has been a major annoyance over the past four years? Bear in mind we're not talking major rewrites, we're talking "I'll take a couple of weekends in a log cabin somewhere over the Christmas Holidays." This precludes dealing with the major elephant in the room, which is the inventory management for crafting; realistically, all crafted goods should just go in a big bucket and not in your major inventory, but that would be Controversial and Opening A Can of Worms.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd say what would enchance the game a ton for me is the ability to disable combat animations. The thing that always frustrated me the most was being attacked by 4 things and having to wait through each attack + my summon's attack + monsters attacking my summon

It just ended up making monster zoos more frustrating than a fun challenge, IMO. I would just end up turning the game speed way up which just ended up with me accidentally doing an action I didn't mean to do.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 28, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nvining posted:

fighting Dredmor himself just kind of... sucks? It doesn't have the same satisfaction as dealing with Rodney or something like that.
I wouldn't have come up with this independently, but yes, it really does. I literally always just scoured every floor for vending machines and threw those Clockwork bolts at him that made him bleed to death, because there was no reason to go into melee range. Make him deadlier at range, let him blast open doors, and nerf his direct melee or something, is my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea i think I'd rather dredmor be easier to kill if it meant there were more varied ways of going about killing him