Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Honestly, I mostly fleshed out the mechanic because I realized I could make something out of Kicker + Flashback and have a cool name for it.

(Even if it's more like Kickbound than Kickback :downs:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some fun trivia: Back in 2024, WotC was working on a set called Kaladesh Overgrown, a Return To X with a theme of Kaladesh being overrun by a strike back from nature, and a war between it (R/G) and the factions more attached to the "old ways". This had to be dropped, of course, for obvious. (All hail our robotic overlords, praise be upon their mercy and grace.)

One of the keywords for the set was Ferrovore, which involved sacrificing artifacts, as a way to represent the conflict even within R/G.

Some enablers were gonna come out in the second set, Reclaim the Future, but since it was dropped so early in development, they never had art made for them.

It was even slated to show up in Unrepentant.

But now it'll just have to remain in the realm of things that will never be, like not living in a state of constant te- wait, no, it was a joke, I was kidDAAAAHAHARHHFSDFBDSF

[Credit to Tollymain for being, in their own words, 'the idea guy'.]

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poison was a great help in realizing my grand artistic vision (they did all the work) but i still maintain that a better fluff text for Built to Fall would have been "Voltaic kudzu: the vine that ate south Kaladesh." :v:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

This is hands down my favorite card. It's a super versatile card that is gonna feel clever as hell ot play against, but Hibernate still feels like it could be a downside mechanic printed alone on a card. It's not something WotC would do for the onboard trickiness of it, but hell, I like that poo poo. Congrats Lottery of Babylon!

My idea for this was pretty close to ChewyLSB's mechanic:

Shapeshifter Guy
3U
Creature - Shapeshifter
0/0
Changeling
Downsideword (As an additional cost to cast ~, reveal a creature card from your hand that shares a type with it)
~ enters the battlefield as a copy of the revealed card.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

:siren: Colorshift a Mechanic :siren:

Take a mechanic that has traditionally appeared in certain colors and move it to different colors.

Clarifications:
  • Shifting a mechanic from G to GU is totally fine since you're showing off a new color even though the old color is still around. Shifting a mechanic (e.g. Evolve) from GU to G is less interesting since there were already nonblue cards with Evolve. Something above and beyond the simple lack of blue cards would need to be drastically different about your reimplementation of Evolve to reflect this extra unblueness. (edit: For example, Undying has appeared in blue and in green before, but a special uniquely Simicky implementation of Undying would be okay for this contest.)
  • Shifting a mechanic from colors to colorless artifacts, or vice-versa, is fine. Shifting a mechanic from blue to devoid-blue is boring.
  • The color pie is still in effect. You want to do something that hasn't been done, not that couldn't be done.
  • The mechanic doesn't have to be keyworded, but it should be recognizable as a mechanic. "Hand size matters" is a mechanic; "3/3 creatures that cost 4" is not.
  • It's okay if the color has used your mechanic before, as long as it has done so rarely. There are blue cards with regenerate, but colorshifting regenerate to blue is fine for this contest's purposes, since regenerate is typically a black/green mechanic.
  • Your entry can be a one-off rare using an out-of-color mechanic in a unique way (like Debt of Loyalty), or it can be a way of moving a mechanic to a different color for an entire set or block (like Black Exalted).
  • I'll find your entry most interesting if the new color uses the mechanic differently than the old color did; a simple Planar Chaos-style "change the color and leave everything else the same" won't be as exciting. To give an example of what I mean, Ghost Ship is a blue card that happens to be able to regenerate, whereas Debt of Loyalty is a white card that uses regenerate in a uniquely white way. That makes Debt of Loyalty much cooler. Your entry should feel like something other than the names of the lands has changed.
  • That being said, if the mechanic just naturally fits better in its new color than in its old color, like Prodigal Pyromancer, then it's a bit more okay if not much else changes. Can't improve on an already-perfect fit.
  • I love misusing mechanics. If your colorshifted use of a mechanic goes completely against the original mechanic's design intent, so much the better. But if you're borrowing a keyword, make sure the rules will actually let you do what you're trying to do.
Let's wrap things up on the evening of Sunday the 30th.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 24, 2016

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So what you're saying is, find a way to give green a fireball?

I can do that.

e: What the hell am I doing? I've got a dumb joke I should be running into the ground.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 24, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Undying, the mechanic from Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored representing evil things coming back from the grave stronger than ever to do horrible things to the living. It touched four of the five colours, but as with Persist, White does have a stake in self-recurring creatures. Let's just shake up the initial conditions and make it need to be a bit more selfless...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, that's interesting. Probably too hard to remove for limited, but in constructed, that would make a really fascinating mental puzzle, about just when and how to make it vulnerable to removal (when it's the only creature left without shroud)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, that's interesting. Probably too hard to remove for limited, but in constructed, that would make a really fascinating mental puzzle, about just when and how to make it vulnerable to removal (when it's the only creature left without shroud)

Funnily enough, it dies to wrath effects since it can't be in play with no counters (short of an Anthem), but it does save the rest of the team. (Except from things like Languish, Mutilate, Black Sun's Zenith, Flowstone Slide or Marsh Casualties.)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Undying, the mechanic from Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored representing evil things coming back from the grave stronger than ever to do horrible things to the living. It touched four of the five colours, but as with Persist, White does have a stake in self-recurring creatures. Let's just shake up the initial conditions and make it need to be a bit more selfless...

This card by itself gives you infinite etb/ltb triggers if you have another creature, dunno if that's intentional. You keep activating and removing counters in response to previous removal of counters.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Elyv posted:

This card by itself gives you infinite etb/ltb triggers if you have another creature, dunno if that's intentional. You keep activating and removing counters in response to previous removal of counters.

This is correct: I thought about adding in a clause to prevent that or making it a tap, remove X counters activation. but on the whole I considered that to be no worse than Melira/Persist combos which are still modern-legal.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a two-card combo than a 3-card one, and what's more there's basically always something in standard that would deliver a kill with infinite death/etb triggers (eg right now you could use Zulaport Cutthroat).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shroud. :ssh:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
He's right in that you can activate the ability in response to itself, and the state-based death after you remove the last counter triggers the undying on top of the stack, but since this results in the creature leaving play, there's a window of opportunity to kill the target before anything resolves.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

there's no need to let any of the shroud abilities actually resolve :ssh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm an idiot. :ssh:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

there's no need to let any of the shroud abilities actually resolve :ssh:

:goonsay:
You need to let the Undying trigger resolve so that it comes back in.

Then again you don't have a choice so...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That being said, if the mechanic just naturally fits better in its new color than in its old color, like Prodigal Pyromancer, then it's a bit more okay if not much else changes. Can't improve on an already-perfect fit.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fateful Hour was only on 7 cards, and represented the forces of good fighting back in the most desperate of situations. But perhaps it could also represent the grim determination of those who are prepared to sacrifice everything.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wait, poo poo, I can't believe I missed the obvious.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Some Modern/Vintage decks would be quite happy to pay 15 life for this.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That is the intended use of the card.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

For example, Undying has appeared in blue and in green before, but a special uniquely Simicky implementation of Undying would be okay for this contest.
By the end of this contest, I'm going to have mined every single line of the entry for ideas.

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

I wanted to do something with Simic Undying where you might actually have incentive to drop +1/+1 counters on a creature before it died. Yes, the undying represents the creature's unnatural regeneration and mutation causing new and unpredictable things to happen with its form, but when isn't Simic about pushing the boundaries?

...also I got really lazy with the art this time around. :effort:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 25, 2016

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

This guy found one weird trick to take care of thopter infestations! Mark Rosewater hates him!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

That's not a color shift, green has always had flying hate.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The thing being shifted is Prodigal. :ssh:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Black Deck Wins

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Wait, poo poo, I can't believe I missed the obvious.

This doesn't do anything

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

This doesn't do anything

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Colorshifted Planeswalkers! The goal is to make them still feel like an X card, but do it in a way another color might.

Nissa like to give card advantage through lands, Liliana is all about resource management (except for the new one I guess), Chandra likes to ping things and give expensive card advantage, Elspeth does token nonsense, and Jace tends to deal with creatures (though in red, it has to be at a card disadvantageous way). Actually that Jace is probably broken as hell but it's fun.

Also what if Nissa gained a color?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Also what if Nissa gained a color?

That is a really clever way to do a +1. :golfclap:

Edit This is post #22250 for me, apparently.

Which means I missed #22222. :saddowns.:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 26, 2016

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Colorshifted Planeswalkers!

Pretty good. Jace's first ability needs to read "As an additional cost to active this ability..." (which unfortunately would make the text microscopic)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Gynovore posted:

Pretty good. Jace's first ability needs to read "As an additional cost to active this ability..." (which unfortunately would make the text microscopic)

Yeah that is a good point, you can just +infinity him as written.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Unearth was from the Grixis shard of Alara, so it only appeared in blue, black, and red. But those aren't the only colors who can draw power from the past.

(Bonus points if you can identify the art.)

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 27, 2016

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah that is a good point, you can just +infinity him as written.

The other option would be something like "0: Discard a card. Jace, the Mind's Inferno gains X loyalty counters and deals X damage to up to one creature, where X is the discarded card's converted mana cost."

Anyway, one of the things that's always bugged me about Magic colour theory and card design is red's complete and utter lack of a late game. Or alternately, that it's late game is something the Wizard's wants to push, but have mostly just printed cards that cost too much and then neglected the early game. The thing is, a lot of design space that could be for red is covered by blue's tendency to swallow everything.
People think of red as the 'fast' colour that peters out, but I've always thought of it as a colour that either overwhelms you, or forces you to play at it's pace, so it makes sense that redcould take some control pieces from other colours.

Like Remand effects. Or hand attack.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This actually got me thinking about what countermagic and card draw would look like in other colors, if we weren't saddled with the "only blue gets proper control/card advantage" legacy.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

I'm not sure--if you destroy the original, do the other nonbasics go back to what they were, or do they all see each other as Vault 108, and therefore all stay that way?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm not sure--if you destroy the original, do the other nonbasics go back to what they were, or do they all see each other as Vault 108, and therefore all stay that way?

This no longer has anything to do with the contest.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Much like Essence of the Wild, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Elyv posted:

Much like Essence of the Wild, yes.

It's actually the opposite of Essence of the Wild. Essence of the Wild makes the other creature a copy of itself as it enters the battlefield; once that's done, that creature is a copy of Essence of the Wild forever even if Essence of the Wild goes away, not because its own text is making it a copy of Essence of the Wild but because Essence of the Wild's effect doesn't end; if Essence of the Wild were turning the other creatures into 2/2 cats instead of into copies of itself, they'd still be 2/2 cats after Essence of the Wild died. It's like how a creature turned into an artifact by Memnarch will remain an artifact even after Memnarch dies. The rulings for Essence of the Wild don't spell this out, but the rulings for Infinite Reflection, which has the same wording, do.

Vault 108 is worded differently. It doesn't permanently turn everything else into copies of itself, it just keeps them copies of itself as long as it's around. It's different in the same way that Memnarch's "Gain control of" wording is different from Control Magic's "You control" wording.

Once Vault 108 goes away, the other lands don't remain copies of Vault 108. The reason, basically, is that layers don't allow self-sustaining stuff like that. Copy effects are applied in Layer 1. In order to turn itself into Vault 108, a land would need to have the "I'm Vault 108" ability when Layer 1 is applied, but since it only gains that ability as a result of Layer 1, it doesn't have that ability until after Layer 1 has been applied, which means it doesn't have that ability when it needs that ability turn itself into Vault 108, which means it's not Vault 108.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 27, 2016