Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

My favorite silly game to read was smilie mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Now taking pre-sign ups for The World's Most Serious Mafia Game, where you must post at least 3 times per real life day, and at least one of those posts needs to have taken obvious effort. Also everyone is a self dayvig.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I might redo Mexican Standoff Mafia, because man, was that a fun game.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
This is me posting. Hello.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

busb posted:

This is me posting. Hello.

bSUB

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i am also posting

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
My shins hurt

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
My head is all congested because the seasons are changing and the weather cannot make up its mind what temperature it should be

It was like 55F this morning then went up to like 85F and will be back down to the 60s in like an hour

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

busb posted:

My shins hurt

stop kicking yourself

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I don't have allergies or hayfever and am perfect at all times.

Sometimes I am quite sleepy tho

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

busb posted:

I don't have allergies or hayfever and am perfect at all times.

Sometimes I am quite sleepy tho

I have a slight cat allergy but other than that I'm good.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I tried to run cool hangout mafia 2 and it didn't go so well so the community doesn't like shitpost games that may or may not be games apparently

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I'm allergic to all your posts.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Asiina posted:

For some actual mafia talk, for people who are good at pulling the game out of jokephase, how do you do it? There's people like Somber or Quid or Diqnol who can always jumpstart a game, and I'd like to be able to do that but I always feel like I'm bad at setting the tone.

I was thinking about jokephase and I've always felt it's kinda like those first few minutes of a meeting or before recording something or a game session where people are trickling in, getting settled, loading up programs, etc and then there's a moment where everyone looks around and you all know you're ready and you begin. Jokephase feels like it should be that, but then sometimes the meeting never starts and you're all just loving around the whole time instead of doing what you came here to do.

I like jokephase like I like those few minutes of chitchat, but since there's no real chair or presenter to say "okay let's get started" it always feels weird to just be a random person in the group saying that. Should mods do that? Should they delay the start of D1 for an hour or two during the confirming period and then once they do we agree that jokephase is over, should random players take a leadership role to get the ball rolling, or does the whole game need to somehow agree to it?

Honestly, I feel like the entirety of D1 is joke phase Unless a major development occurs, there is never going to be enough information to go off of to put a vote on someone with out having to put it out there as a joke. Like what are you supposed to say? LOL INFINITUM IS PINGING ME BECAUSE HE SAID POOPY COCKBALLS WHEN SOMEONE WANTED TO VOTE FOR ME!
If a game is designed correctly, joke phase should naturally end when everyone becomes invested.

Now of course, this can be hard to achieve when you have people in Australia who sign in at completely different times, come in to 6 pages and just start poo poo posting because "I NEED TO CATCH UP"

Speaking as someone who has played every strategy possible, including keeping jokephase going as long as possible. The easiest way to end joke phase if you are a player is to just start posting smart. When people joke phase your posts, be a bit of a dick, and be like "Yeah, that's gonna help us catch scum" Or some poo poo to make it persona, and they will snap out of it.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Also, asiina you killed the dream that was 2 player mafia :(

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Also also!

The worst thing to ever happen to a game and the biggest thing encouraging poo poo posting are lurkers.

If you have a
15 player game
6 active town
4 active scum
5 lurkers.
The majority to lynch is 8
Even if ALL 6 town are on a target it'll be impossible to lynch them if they are scum. So when the game hits a stalemate? Of course everyone's gonna gently caress off and do their own thing because its now boring as hell
Add that tl the occasional "I don't wanna read 17 pages" lurker who asks for a recap and you have joke phase ad Infinitum

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
do what I do and don't play if your gonna lurk

helps everyone

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

Honestly, I feel like the entirety of D1 is joke phase Unless a major development occurs, there is never going to be enough information to go off of to put a vote on someone with out having to put it out there as a joke. Like what are you supposed to say? LOL INFINITUM IS PINGING ME BECAUSE HE SAID POOPY COCKBALLS WHEN SOMEONE WANTED TO VOTE FOR ME!
If a game is designed correctly, joke phase should naturally end when everyone becomes invested.

Now of course, this can be hard to achieve when you have people in Australia who sign in at completely different times, come in to 6 pages and just start poo poo posting because "I NEED TO CATCH UP"

Speaking as someone who has played every strategy possible, including keeping jokephase going as long as possible. The easiest way to end joke phase if you are a player is to just start posting smart. When people joke phase your posts, be a bit of a dick, and be like "Yeah, that's gonna help us catch scum" Or some poo poo to make it persona, and they will snap out of it.

game design has nothing to do with the posting level.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Game design could be used to shorten jokephase. Anidav's most recent auspol game (Haunted Island or somesuch) was a semi-open setup with a Night-0 scumkill. Scum chose to kill the dog character, who turned out to be a tracker, which promoted some D1 discussion.

I think a shorter D1 encourages people to move out of jokephase more quickly, and if they don't well at least it doesn't last as long. I'm toying with the idea of a 12 hour D1 for my next game, but to avoid a D1 no-lynch (the worst), I think I will make it 12 hours, then everyone receives temporary +1 hated every X hours after that until someone is dunked (thanks for that idea Kash)

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Birdstrike posted:

Game design could be used to shorten jokephase. Anidav's most recent auspol game (Haunted Island or somesuch) was a semi-open setup with a Night-0 scumkill. Scum chose to kill the dog character, who turned out to be a tracker, which promoted some D1 discussion.

that was terrible game design and made it terribly unfun for me (the dog) signing up for a game and not being able to play because of something like that really sucks.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

But is it really any less fun than getting dunked D1?

I actually think maybe a very short D0 jokephase ending in no cuddles and then a N0 kill going into the first day of gameplay could be an interesting concept. I think you'd have to do both, though, so that whoever did get killed N0 didn't feel like they didn't even get to joke around or anything.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Quidthulhu posted:

But is it really any less fun than getting dunked D1?

yeah a huge amount

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Poison Mushroom posted:

I might redo Mexican Standoff Mafia, because man, was that a fun game.

Please do

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
jokephase only exists because we pretend it's a thing and not just a stupid name we repeat to ourselves.

please put on these they live glasses i got

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

jokephase only exists because we pretend it's a thing and not just a stupid name we repeat to ourselves.

please put on these they live glasses i got
VOTE

HUNT SCUM

OBEY

BANDWAGON

NO INDEPENDENT VOTES

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
now I'm going to fight taste for 10 minutes because he stubbornly won't put on these glasses

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

now I'm going to fight taste for 10 minutes because he stubbornly won't put on these glasses
VOTE NO LYNCH

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

Also also!

The worst thing to ever happen to a game and the biggest thing encouraging poo poo posting are lurkers.

If you have a
15 player game
6 active town
4 active scum
5 lurkers.
The majority to lynch is 8
Even if ALL 6 town are on a target it'll be impossible to lynch them if they are scum. So when the game hits a stalemate? Of course everyone's gonna gently caress off and do their own thing because its now boring as hell
Add that tl the occasional "I don't wanna read 17 pages" lurker who asks for a recap and you have joke phase ad Infinitum

This happened to me at lylo in the AR / Lil Dawn wedding game. I had a suspicion that Ecco was the last scum left but Capps was no where to be found so I had no physical way of voting out Ecco.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

D1 will always be my favorite moment in a mafia game because it's exciting to survive it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

If it's exhilarating it's only because after surviving it I realize I have a least another week of this poo poo before merciful release.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
hello

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

hello

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
ooh well i really don't care for that.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
can anyone tell me how to play mafia

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i am an eager new player looking to make my mark in the mafia world

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
you have to makes posts, i think

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
thank you

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

derp posted:

can anyone tell me how to play mafia

listen to your heart, listen to the rain, listen to the voices in your brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

they live is a disgusting forerunner of the alt-right's (((globalist))) conspiracy theory