Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

WoFF has been realyl good so far, 10 hours in. It is basically Funko-popped nostalgia on screen. My biggest complaint thusfar is that I feel like I want to use too many mirages and swapping in/out is a pain in the rear end + bringing new guys up from level 1 takes a while (should be less of an issue with a few guys with more varied transmogs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I was, for most of my first run of FFVII earlier this year, getting the idea that present-day Sephiroth barely existed 'as' Sephiroth. The real one got hilariously killed by Cloud in the Nibelheim reactor and that was the end of it, the one you're spending most of the game fighting is basically just an approximation built from people's memories of some basass named Sephiroth acting as a face and hands for the otherwise kinda helpless Jenova--basically, what Sephiroth claimed Cloud to be. I don't care that the expanded universe probably retconned it, it makes sense to me, and I do like how much of all that is vague enough to let you figure some of it out like that.

...actually, can people help out on that one, is Cloud as we played him really basically just a homonculus basing itself off someone Tifa remembered, or is he actually legit? They never really answered that one conclusively in the game, far as I could tell they just kinda dropped it before coming to a conclusion either way.

He's the real Cloud but his memories were all kinds of hosed thanks to Hojo in the aftermath of the Nibelheim incident. The Jenova cells in his body stitched them together imperfectly, where he thinks he was Zack instead of a faceless Shinra grunt and this was made easier for Jenova's cells as he couldn't bear facing Tifa having failed to make it in SOLDIER.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kingdom Hearts and AC mucked the whole thing up but the big twist with Cloud is that he's just an everyday loser with a hosed brain

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FFVII is a story where the hero (Zack) and heroine (Aeris) died and it's up to the sidekick, who is a crazy guy deluding himself and others about his past and a ragtag bunch of misfits with plenty of metal health issues themselves to save the world.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The problem with this reading is that Sephiroth never had megalomaniacal inclinations during the time we see of him before he encountered Jenova. Even though he was Shinra's best SOLDIER he didn't seem to be in it for glory or fame.

Even taking spinoffs into account, he's a super chill dude who genuinely cares for Genesis, Angeal and eventually Zack in Crisis Core. At least pre-Nibelheim.

Eh, he always felt different and above ordinary people. I do agree Jenova had influence, during Nibilheim especially, but I do think Sephiroth eventually came out on top. That's why the final boss fight involves the Sephiroth with no legs - the "real" one.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

FFVII is a story where the hero (Zack) and heroine (Aeris) died and it's up to the sidekick, who is a crazy guy deluding himself and others about his past and a ragtag bunch of misfits with plenty of metal health issues themselves to save the world.

VII really is great.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And from the way he talks post mental break and fix you can kind of infer he has kind of a southern accent

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I like the name Locke, because he's a thief, so he probably picks locks. It's like if they renamed Cloud "Sword"
He's named Locke because he is a foil for Terra to understand that her experience and growth in life is just as or more important than any innate properties bestowed to her by her unique birth.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still dispute Square-Enix saying Sephiroth is in control of Jenova, given that the events in Nibelheim make way more sense if Jenova was controlling him. He only flips out and goes crazy once he came in close proximity to Jenova and he had her cells in him, influencing him and possibly even to reunite with the main Jenova body. Hence the "mother" talk. Then he spends the next few years in the Northern Crater with the crazy mind control alien's head for company.

I'm saying it is possible to read Sephiroth as blameless in FFVII, before spinoffs and the Compilation retconned it to be much more boring.
He had an existential break and reading the incomplete journals in the mansion had him filling the family shaped hole in his head with the goal of becoming what Jenova was/is. It doesn't need to be Jenova controlling, if Sephiroth wants the same thing that it did anyway.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
So is there any reason to waste the point it takes to get a new prism for a Mirage I already have?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still dispute Square-Enix saying Sephiroth is in control of Jenova, given that the events in Nibelheim make way more sense if Jenova was controlling him. He only flips out and goes crazy once he came in close proximity to Jenova and he had her cells in him, influencing him and possibly even to reunite with the main Jenova body. Hence the "mother" talk. Then he spends the next few years in the Northern Crater with the crazy mind control alien's head for company.

I'm saying it is possible to read Sephiroth as blameless in FFVII, before spinoffs and the Compilation retconned it to be much more boring.
Jenova is all over the north inside the blood of those monsters. Jenova has always used parts of its body to face you and yet, that time you finally finish it off, it is suddenly the real deal. The character who is Loki, an alien with enough power to ruin the planet and destroyer of civilizations by corrupting minds.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

FiestaDePantalones posted:

So is there any reason to waste the point it takes to get a new prism for a Mirage I already have?

You may want to have two Behemoths to have one L and one XL, I imagine there are a few situations where you may want to keep multiple forms with particular proprietary moves.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

FiestaDePantalones posted:

ImpAtom posted:

Having multiple of the same mirages is important for a few reasons:

A) Obviously you can equip the same Mirage in multiple slots. (So Lann and Reynn can share the same mirage)
B) When you max a Mirage Board out you're forced to pick a single bonus for that Mirage from a list, which is a permanent choice. A second of that mirage can be given a different bonus. (However this bonus isn't shared between Mirage Boards which is a bit easier.)
C) Most mirages have multiple evolution paths and if you have more than one you can use those different evolutions or pallet-swaps at the same time.

That said I never overly bothered with it. I kept two of Magitek Armor leveled up because I liked it a lot but otherwise never felt a big need to double up.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's a new FFXV CGI trailer out, Omen. Reportedly it's gorgeous and really cool and woooah but spoilers!!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Out of the PS1 era Final Fantasy games, I've realized that Queen Brahne is one of the most successful villains. She takes over an entire continent and genocides and entire race of people.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If that's your measure does the moon in FF8 count, which erased an entire civilization and continent from living memory a handful of decades before Laguna's time?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The moon is a harsh mistress.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Terper posted:

There's a new FFXV CGI trailer out, Omen. Reportedly it's gorgeous and really cool and woooah but spoilers!!

This looks loving good btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ivTFP7Qa-Y

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah I watched it. Very cool trailer!! Fitting for a very cool game!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

zedprime posted:

If that's your measure does the moon in FF8 count, which erased an entire civilization and continent from living memory a handful of decades before Laguna's time?

I'm speaking specifically of events that transpire during the game. No antagonist during FF7/8 are that successful.

For all the fanboy masturbation that happens with Sephiroth over the years, he actually didn't succeed in much of anything in the grand scheme of things.

Looking at the games surrounding it -
FF6 - Kefka destroys/remakes the world.
FF9 - Brahne/Kuja destroy multiple kingdoms and genocide a race
FF10 - Sin wipes out one civilization and destroys multiple cities.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dang

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mordiceius posted:

I'm speaking specifically of events that transpire during the game. No antagonist during FF7/8 are that successful.

For all the fanboy masturbation that happens with Sephiroth over the years, he actually didn't succeed in much of anything in the grand scheme of things.

Looking at the games surrounding it -
FF6 - Kefka destroys/remakes the world.
FF9 - Brahne/Kuja destroy multiple kingdoms and genocide a race
FF10 - Sin wipes out one civilization and destroys multiple cities.
Sin gets chumped in game though so if the moon doesn't count neither does Sin. The previous lunar rain sets up a geo political power vacuum and fear of the moon that lets Adel take control of Esthar so its as passingly relevant as anything Sin has done in the past.

Ultimecia also succeeds at Time Kompression, but lets face it, Time Kompression was kind of boring if being big enough friends with your buds lets you show up on her doorstep.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sephiroth and Jenova got top billing where advertising and spinoffs were concerned but the main antagonists of FF7 were always Shinra. The game plays its environmentalist message to the hilt, so it makes sense that its two main sets of antagonists would be more thematic than "active" - on one hand you've got this unstoppable supersoldier commandeering a planet-assimilating anime John Carpenter creation from beyond the stars, and on the other you've got a corporation run by ordinary humans, and the Planet is having trouble deciding which is worse.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The Omen trailer is in reference to a vision that Regis has received before XV "A future that must be avoided."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing with Sephiroth is that he is Shinra taken to their most extreme. He plans to crack open the planet and eat all the mako at once whereas Shinra merely wants to devour it slowly. He's the end result of their experiments, one of their most elite soldiers, and in general is just Shinra's excesses kicked up to 11. Even when the Weapons break free they start going after Shinra more than anyone else.

It is basically the only way a 'redemption' for Shinra makes sense in that they get to see the end result of their game plan and realized they hosed up, but wtihin the confines of the game the planet just kills most of them instead.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

The thing with Sephiroth is that he is Shinra taken to their most extreme. He plans to crack open the planet and eat all the mako at once whereas Shinra merely wants to devour it slowly. He's the end result of their experiments, one of their most elite soldiers, and in general is just Shinra's excesses kicked up to 11. Even when the Weapons break free they start going after Shinra more than anyone else.

It is basically the only way a 'redemption' for Shinra makes sense in that they get to see the end result of their game plan and realized they hosed up, but wtihin the confines of the game the planet just kills most of them instead.

To be fair to the game, that's because the only real problem most non-Reeve Shinra employees saw with Sephiroth's upcoming apotheosis was that it was his and not theirs. Rufus couldn't care less about the planet or people who'd be harmed by it, other than himself.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The whole environmentalist message gets really muddled by the end though because without mako technology, there is no way to get past the North Crater barrier. Shinra must exist to save the world.

The only comically evil Shinra was Hojo, the rest are just interested in profits during their lifetime. Their interest in the Promised Land extends as far as being able to construct cheap mako reactors to reduce cost on electricity and materia to lock in the world's dependence on their monopoly. Fascism by monopoly is concerning and evil but not really apocalyptic (until the lifestream runs out but peak mako won't be for generations!)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Cleretic posted:

I was, for most of my first run of FFVII earlier this year, getting the idea that present-day Sephiroth barely existed 'as' Sephiroth. The real one got hilariously killed by Cloud in the Nibelheim reactor and that was the end of it, the one you're spending most of the game fighting is basically just an approximation built from people's memories of some basass named Sephiroth acting as a face and hands for the otherwise kinda helpless Jenova--basically, what Sephiroth claimed Cloud to be. I don't care that the expanded universe probably retconned it, it makes sense to me, and I do like how much of all that is vague enough to let you figure some of it out like that.

...actually, can people help out on that one, is Cloud as we played him really basically just a homonculus basing itself off someone Tifa remembered, or is he actually legit? They never really answered that one conclusively in the game, far as I could tell they just kinda dropped it before coming to a conclusion either way.

Just checking, did you watch the hidden scene inside the Shinra mansion? Because it heavily hints that he's the real deal, just really messed up mentally, basically trying to act like a combination of Zack and his own take on how a badass SOLDIER would act.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Our Cloud is the real one. He buried his memories which is why Tifa had to go in and unlock them. He's the real deal, just hosed up in the head.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
But through Hojo's experiments he still has the power of a SOLDIER. His body was too weak to handle the procedure which is partly the reason why he got messed up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

zedprime posted:

The whole environmentalist message gets really muddled by the end though because without mako technology, there is no way to get past the North Crater barrier. Shinra must exist to save the world.

Without Shinra, the world wouldn't have needed saving anyway. Shinra in the final act basically has its most directly malicious elements (Hojo, Rufus, Scarlet and Heidegger) self-destructing, while more amoral characters like the Turks cut loose and redirect their efforts and Reeve tries to see this world-saving thing through to the end. The corporation discharges all of its remaining Mako energy to shatter the barrier thanks to Hojo's lunacy and Cloud's interference, essentially opening the path to fix its biggest mistake with its dying gasp.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Renoistic posted:

But through Hojo's experiments he still has the power of a SOLDIER. His body was too weak to handle the procedure which is partly the reason why he got messed up.

Yeah, which is why no one questions it. Dude's skilled and got hosed up eyeballs so why wouldn't he have been in SOLDIER.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Ew FF12HD will be 50? Too much for a decade old game personally. Maybe it will be reasonably priced come Winter 2017 or 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait what race did Brahne wipe out? Because the rat people have survivors and I swear there is dialog indicating all the survivors are regrouping somewhere to rebuild not that you can ever see them do so in game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

Wait what race did Brahne wipe out? Because the rat people have survivors and I swear there is dialog indicating all the survivors are regrouping somewhere to rebuild not that you can ever see them do so in game.
They meant Cleyra. They don't get totally wiped out, but I think it's implied that almost all of Cleyra died off, and it's mostly Burmecians who survived.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It's still a genocide even though there are survivors.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Relin posted:

Ew FF12HD will be 50? Too much for a decade old game personally. Maybe it will be reasonably priced come Winter 2017 or 2018

Probably a good bet considering FF10 hd, but that was two games that were also more popular than 12 so maybe they will be nice and launch at $40.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
On the flip side every port/remake Square has ever done has come out at close to, if not full retail price regardless of the amount of game you got with it. FF3 and 4 DS were $40, Chrono Trigger DS was $40, FF4 PSP was $40, Dawn of Souls and the other GBA ports were all $30, etc.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
They just keep piling stuff on the pile, don't they. What the heck are they doing

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/791641687764467712

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Renoistic posted:

They just keep piling stuff on the pile, don't they. What the heck are they doing

Throwing everything at the wall and seeing what'll stick I guess! I'm pretty on-board with co-op, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Renoistic posted:

I don't get what you're trying to say. They came out on stage with the printed disks. The Episode : *Character* DLC will be used for the new director to hammer out how different the three companions play to Noctis, and then the Online Multiplayer Expansion pack will come out.