Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

Can you give some examples? For instance my Hue lights (the porch one anyways) turn on at Sunset and off at Sunrise like clockwork.

I just tried every light in my house. One by one, scheduled via Home's Automation tab. Not a single one responded.

Here's how wonky it's being...

I sign out of iCloud on ATV. Sign in, Home tab in accounts is not there. Eventually shows up. Once it does, my Automation screens on my iPad and my iPhone 7+ become active (no longer a static info screen.)

I set up my first automation: turn on Kitchen Counter hue light at 3:45pm. All settings are good. Make sure it's set to on, every day, etc...

Wait for 3:45... nothing happens.

(Same for every light except once or twice I got a random light to turn on via automation... but couldn't reproduce it.

** in regular Home (not Automations) I have full control over every Hue light. Works great there. Just not able to automate anything.

Hope that was at least sort of clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

I just tried every light in my house. One by one, scheduled via Home's Automation tab. Not a single one responded.

Here's how wonky it's being...

I sign out of iCloud on ATV. Sign in, Home tab in accounts is not there. Eventually shows up. Once it does, my Automation screens on my iPad and my iPhone 7+ become active (no longer a static info screen.)

I set up my first automation: turn on Kitchen Counter hue light at 3:45pm. All settings are good. Make sure it's set to on, every day, etc...

Wait for 3:45... nothing happens.

(Same for every light except once or twice I got a random light to turn on via automation... but couldn't reproduce it.

** in regular Home (not Automations) I have full control over every Hue light. Works great there. Just not able to automate anything.

Hope that was at least sort of clear.

That was clear. Hm. You are sure both are on the same network - iPhone/pad and ATV? I know sometimes I end up on xfinitywifi because I was somewhere public for a bit and it tries to hit that AP at home instead of mine.

Otherwise kinda coming up bank. :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

That was clear. Hm. You are sure both are on the same network - iPhone/pad and ATV? I know sometimes I end up on xfinitywifi because I was somewhere public for a bit and it tries to hit that AP at home instead of mine.

Otherwise kinda coming up bank. :(

Both my ATV4 and my Hue Hub are Ethernet into my AEBS. My iPhone and iPad are on that AEBS's Wifi.

Yeah it's confounding as poo poo...

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Only thing I can suggest is what I did when I had an issue - I had been running the public beta on my phone before I got tvOS updated on my ATV so I had some weird issues with my Ecobee. I had to delete my home and devices, and re-set up, and everything worked. lovely suggestion but all I have, sorry :(

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Good news everyone! My largest complaint since the release of the newest Apple TV has been resolved.

The Netflix app has been updated and you can now browse by category. Our long national nightmare is over.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mahoning posted:

Good news everyone! My largest complaint since the release of the newest Apple TV has been resolved.
I can favorite youtube videos and treat the recent uploads as a playlist and maybe even read their descriptions?

Mahoning posted:

The Netflix app has been updated and you can now browse by category. Our long national nightmare is over.
Oh, well that's quite good too

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Could you not do that before? I only needed it for the first time on my Apple TV and it was where I expected it to be. I presumed it was always there. That was good timing of them!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rogers finally updated the NHL app to be on part with the MLB app. "Proper" multi-game support, not just a port of the AppleTV3 app.

The multi-game support is still really dumb. Instead of going P-in-P they put both games side by side wasting a maximum amount of screen space.

I presume folks outside of Canada get the new app too, I dunno how that works with Rogers now.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Praise Jah almighty for this. Thanks for the heads up!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, I compiled Provenance and popped it onto my ATV. That is a swell piece of code, I gotta tell you. Now I'm debating picking up a controller. I was going to get a SteelSeries Stratus but they're loving $80 Canadian on Amazon versus $35 on amazon.com.

Anyone know whether an 8Bitdo SNES clone will sync with an AppleTV4?

https://www.amazon.ca/SNES30-Wirele...1HS9FGYGSVR9MDE

e: nvm, it's not MFi so it's probably not going to work for all my tvOS apps. Lame. All the MFi stuff is way too big and xbox-y.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 14, 2016

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Just bite the bullet and get the official one for minimal issues:
http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/HJ162ZM/A/steelseries-nimbus-wireless-gaming-controller

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeahh, that's probably what I'll do. I was really hoping for a smaller more NES/SNES style controller but this one is probably what I'll end up getting.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
So I have access to a cable subscription and I'm trying to use the AMC app. It works great but the ads are super crazy loud. Like it sounds like my speakers have an overdrive pedal on. Some ads are louder than others, and it sounds normal again once the program resumes. Is there a way to fix this?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

gypsyshred posted:

So I have access to a cable subscription and I'm trying to use the AMC app. It works great but the ads are super crazy loud. Like it sounds like my speakers have an overdrive pedal on. Some ads are louder than others, and it sounds normal again once the program resumes. Is there a way to fix this?

"Be ready to leap at the mute button" is basically all I've been able to come up with so far.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey how is the single sign on thing working? I know on my iPad all the channel apps seem to be using the same login method and it seems to reset itself every couple of weeks, so I kind of expect the same on an Apple TV. But other than that does it work ok?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

None of the Canadian apps seem to have adopted it yet.

At all.

I've yet to see any sort of sign-on mechanism that isn't going to provider.com/appletv or whatever and entering a code.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't think it had been activated on Apple TV yet?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I didn't think it had been activated on Apple TV yet?

That may explain it. I just figured it was Canadian companies being Canadian companies.

I'm still not expecting much.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Sadly it's just appletv being appletv.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did they even roll out single sign on yet? I know they said it didn't make the big OS update in September.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not yet.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There is a minor bug fix update out (10.0.1). The only thing I noticed is that it has, again, removed Recently Updated apps from the Purchased screen in the App Store as well as any version history on the app pages.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

God damnit why do they keep doing that?!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Seriously? I have no idea what Apple is doing with stuff like this.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just bought a AppleTV but it's acting basically useless; it keeps "refreshing" and like restartingthe screen everytime I try to change over to the AppStore. I'm going to try Updating System software but that isn't a good first impression :/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Put it in DFU mode and take it from there. Probably different instructions depending on model, so just google if this isn't the right one for you.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/03/01/how-to-apple-tv-recovery-mode/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks ill try that

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have it working now but this has probably been the worst process i've ever experienced with trying to set up something on the Apple ecosystem. I've had to put in my credit card like 3 times even tho iTunes works perfectly 9n my pc and my password atleast 200 times. So frustrating.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wait is there no megathread for the Apple event? Hope Tim announces the Playstation Vue for AppleTV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
No one was expecting much for AppleTV announcements.

Surprise!

Edit: The new TV app for the AppleTV is essentially a superguide. It presents shows to you and when you select one, kicks you over to the app that has that show. Uses the single-sign on feature (they haven't released yet) to easily move between the TV app and the network apps.

The TV app will be coming to other iOS devices too.

Oh and Minecraft is coming to AppleTV for what it's worth.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 27, 2016

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
All these features sounds great, but who is subscribing to all these streaming services to make it worth it?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

It's fine as a stopgap to Apple launching their own TV streaming service, but this seems a bit halfassed given that 1) not all channels have apps and 2) some apps don't have all of their shows or all of the episodes of the show available on demand.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Astro7x posted:

All these features sounds great, but who is subscribing to all these streaming services to make it worth it?

Many of these apps just need your parents's cable company login to use.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

That's what excites (and depresses) everyone who can connect the dots.

If Apple can get single sign-on working, then they functionally have a cable package. They'd just then need to get the networks to allow them to sell this single sign-on as a standalone package (this is the depressing part).

Apple will have the framework to create their own Vue/Sling if the networks allow it.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

edit: wrong thread

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Just work for a telecom company. You get every channel known to man for pretty cheap. The only cost is your soul.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My girlfriend pays for Netflix and I pay for Hulu and I sign onto all the providers with my moms cable account now I don't know if any of htose are supported but im excited.

My complaint with STB has always been theres no "just play something" option. That's all i want. Give me a "just play something" button and let me choose a genre and then play something anything. I don't know why no one has done this yet.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That's the jist of Apple's "Live" function. Any apps that allow you to access a live broadcast stream will appear here with, i believe, what their currently showing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So excited for a unified experience connecting all these apps I can't use because Canadian television licensing is a loving nightmare. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thwomp posted:

That's the jist of Apple's "Live" function. Any apps that allow you to access a live broadcast stream will appear here with, i believe, what their currently showing.

thats cool, now let me hook up my DirecTV account so ican incorporate it all