Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

metavisual posted:

The only thing that really confuses me is...if everything is really hung up...first I couldn't do a battery pull, and that was okay because a hardware power button would cut the battery with a hold-down. But now, I no longer have a hardware power button either? How am I supposed to force a shutdown?

Would have made more sense to have the physical ESC and Power key where they are now, with the touchbar in the middle in between them!

Is the touchID button not a physical button? I thought it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Riven posted:

Yeah I don't get the hate for the bar. It's another way to keep my hands on the keyboard. I actually hope they release a wireless keyboard with it so I can use it at my desk since I don't keep my monitors 2 feet above my computer.

Originally, I was thinking this as well. I predominately use the keyboard for as much as possible, but without physical feedback it'll be like most people are saying and I'll just be looking down at my keyboard even more. It will have to supply some really crucial productivity shortcuts that will only sacrifice a small amount of head-down time or else I'll never ever use it. But then again I'm in my early 30s and not the target demo for this feature.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Is that just me or that sounded REALLY sarcastic?

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Viper_3000 posted:

Is the touchID button not a physical button? I thought it was.

Oh, maybe I missed that! I had to step away from the video for a second!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I was pretty sold on upgrading my early 2012 mbp until I saw all that it was all USB-C. Maybe I'll find a refurb or open box 2015 somewhere.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Vintimus Prime posted:

vocal fry

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I was pretty sold on upgrading my early 2012 mbp until I saw all that it was all USB-C. Maybe I'll find a refurb or open box 2015 somewhere.

USB-C is the future. Except if you're using a ipad/iphone. But everything else is going to go this way.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

Originally, I was thinking this as well. I predominately use the keyboard for as much as possible, but without physical feedback it'll be like most people are saying and I'll just be looking down at my keyboard even more. It will have to supply some really crucial productivity shortcuts that will only sacrifice a small amount of head-down time or else I'll never ever use it. But then again I'm in my early 30s and not the target demo for this feature.

I'm 32, and for reference my current keyboard at work is a Das Ultimate and I rarely touch my mouse. I want to see what some Atom or VS Code contributor comes up with to put there.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm 99% sure that the next rMBP in 4 years won't have a physical keyboard.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Vintimus Prime posted:

I think she was admitting how doofy these software demos are

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Photoshop runs like poo poo on my 13" MBP 2015.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I bet there are a ton of people thinking exactly this way. I'm in the early 2012 mbp boat too and with this lovely announcement I'm all in on a 2015 or even 2013. I just want retina and a smaller form factor than I currently have - the 2012 non retina serves all my needs with 16gb of RAM and a 500gb SSD. If I didn't use Xcode extensively i would just get a Dell.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Magsafe was the only good thing apple ever invented and its gone

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

no one is going to loving dj with the touchbar you idiots

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Riven posted:

I'm 32, and for reference my current keyboard at work is a Das Ultimate and I rarely touch my mouse. I want to see what some Atom or VS Code contributor comes up with to put there.

See I'm the exact opposite, I only use the keyboard to type and otherwise my hand is always on the trackpad or mouse.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

For DJing...I thought everyone used hardware controllers...

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
dedicated airhorn button

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
This is the worst apple 'event' in years.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

*throws Push 2 in the trash*

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

hahaha the lag when he presses

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The SurfaceBook's discrete GPU is still slow dogshit. Apple didn't bother because it's a waste of effort in a machine that fits the size and weight they want.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
That bezel is gorgeous and the smaller footprint is great.

I can probably live with fat fingering the F10 key when stepping thru code.

Going to probably want to try the keyboard first though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

metavisual posted:

For DJing...I thought everyone used hardware controllers...

Let me buy 2 $3000 computers instead of some cheap hardware boxes lol

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Magsafe was the only good thing apple ever invented and its gone

Magsafe is very expensive for what it is and the cable frays and breaks down usually within a year

I would be all in for a reinforced version

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Holy gently caress no DJ I know is ever going to use a god drat touchbar exclusively. And you'll still need an external audio interface if you want to mix on it. What the holy gently caress.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I enjoyed how he almost winked at the camera when he put on those beats headphones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seems like most of this would work better with just a touch screen.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Do we have anything resembling benchmarks for the gpu in the 15" version?

eames
May 9, 2009

smackfu posted:

Seems like most of this would work better with just a touch screen.

or you know... a trackpad

tirinal posted:

Do we have anything resembling benchmarks for the gpu in the 15" version?

no because the chip isn't out yet and the tech specs were very vague. Rumours suggest performance between a GTX960m and GTX965m

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao this is Wii music all over again

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I hope he plays lovely music for the next 30 minutes.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Touchbar DJing is the new "Professional iPhone Photographer"

Now the DJ can show up to your wedding with nothing but a touchbar and the Photographer can show up with nothing but an iPhone....ugh.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

nerdz posted:

the cable frays and breaks down usually within a year

I would be all in for a reinforced version

Thats not an issue with magsafe but apples lovely manufacturing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Actually lol'ed out loud (laughed out loud, out loud) at this DJ demo and the dude wanting so hard to do that overly dramatic knob tweak

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Office is a seriously good use of this, tbh.

Snark aside, there are some good uses. Not DJing

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Thats not an issue with magsafe but apples lovely manufacturing AESTHETICS.

They don't use stress relievers because they look ugly.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

JONYTIME

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

mik posted:

This is the worst apple 'event' in years.

Yea it's funny how Microsoft yesterday sounded more like Apple than Apple has recently

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I think I'm extra mad at this because the Surface Studio blew me away yesterday. I was hoping for something cool from Apple. :( I love my rMBP, but for my next machine, I'm now seriously considering the Surface Studio after yesterday.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Are there USB-c to regular USB hubs out there? That would make a difference I guess. I just have so many USB devices that it seems like another dongle I'll have to get.

(And I was fine with no headphone jack on the iPhone 7)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the design guy I used to work with is saying the new MS thingy is looking good. He's a Mac diehard