Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Kaddish posted:

Wait a minute here. You all are telling me Watts is touring as Pig with En Esch and Schulz and Juke Joint Jezebel is on the set list?

Yes.

YES! Try to find another show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Man this has turned into the Pig chat thread. Think I'm going to go see them on Tuesday since tickets are only $15 each before service fees.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Kaddish posted:

Wait a minute here. You all are telling me Watts is touring as Pig with En Esch and Schulz and Juke Joint Jezebel is on the set list?

Fuuck and I missed it. Never even heard of the Crowbar in Tampa

Yep, it was wonderful.

The Crowbar is a tiny little shithole in Ybor, but that felt exactly right for Pig.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Molestationary Store posted:

Man this has turned into the Pig chat thread. Think I'm going to go see them on Tuesday since tickets are only $15 each before service fees.

Do it, it's a great time

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

boo_radley posted:

Do it, it's a great time

Yeah, this was indeed a great time. They are totally not making any money off of this tour with prices that low and venues the size of the one last night's show was at. Watts seems to have found the fountain of youth with the condition he's in and the amount of energy he brought.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
A nice new EP from Faderhead, Anima in Machina. It's two new songs and reworking of eight old ones. It's very much on the synthpop end of the industrial scale, way less crunchy than most of his stuff. It was going to be Bandcamp-only, but if you want a physical CD he's taking preorders until Sunday.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Apparently the new Apoptygma Berzerk is completely instrumental and electronic. Anyone heard it yet?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Hedenius posted:

Apparently the new Apoptygma Berzerk is completely instrumental and electronic. Anyone heard it yet?

Hopefully better than when he went sorta wanna metal. Preview video is pleasant enough.

In other locally relevant news, Cybercide from the UK have rereleased their 2006 debut album Adrenalin with a pile of extra tracks. They sound like early 2000s Slimelight goers who want to be VNV when they grow up and are doing not too bad a job of it. Good solid pounding trancy futurepop EBM just the way we liked it, with decent songs. Not sure how I missed these guys' existence first time around.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

Hopefully better than when he went sorta wanna metal. Preview video is pleasant enough.

In other locally relevant news, Cybercide from the UK have rereleased their 2006 debut album Adrenalin with a pile of extra tracks. They sound like early 2000s Slimelight goers who want to be VNV when they grow up and are doing not too bad a job of it. Good solid pounding trancy futurepop EBM just the way we liked it, with decent songs. Not sure how I missed these guys' existence first time around.

I'm pretty sure I saw these guys back when they released that album, except there were quite a lot of bands with names like that and it's really hard to tell! If they're the band I think they are, they had a member who was rocking a Spike-from-Buffy look for several years in the 00s and getting various goth girls I knew very excited indeed since they were much into that.

Also, for folks in the thread who appreciate synthwave/retrowave whatever you call it - seeing Carpenter Brut and Perturbator next week a few days apart, and pretty excited!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Guess who's back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e21TwVAPCbA

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ahaha. Nice.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Because I'm super behind the times I've only just discovered FLA's Millennium album and now I cant stop playing it. I'm a sucker for judicious use of Pantera samples.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

NonzeroCircle posted:

Because I'm super behind the times I've only just discovered FLA's Millennium album and now I cant stop playing it. I'm a sucker for judicious use of Pantera samples.

some might call you...the Victim of a Criminal.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Speaking of Millennium, there was a limited edition remastered CD re-release in 2007. Anybody have that? Is it noticeably different from the original CD? I don't think the original mastering was bad in the first place so I wonder if it was really an improvement.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
from me: Reviews: Frustration, Logic + Olivia, Beborn Beton, Disjecta Membra - coupla bleepsters in there. The L+O is not so gret akshuly though the first track actually is. The new Beborn Beton single is a winner and has a Human League cover as one of the B-sides.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Apparently Ogre and Rave announced a side project together about a month ago but Ogre ended up backing out after old Process-era drama exploded again.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Apparently Ogre and Rave announced a side project together about a month ago but Ogre ended up backing out after old Process-era drama exploded again.

why can't we all get along :smith:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ohrwurm posted:

why can't we all get along :smith:

Yeah these guys are all like 50 plus now, you'd think they would be able to let this poo poo go by now. Not really sure what happened because it looks like all the tweets are gone but supposedly Rave said some pretty nasty stuff about cEvin.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah these guys are all like 50 plus now, you'd think they would be able to let this poo poo go by now. Not really sure what happened because it looks like all the tweets are gone but supposedly Rave said some pretty nasty stuff about cEvin.

He was being a dick about cEvin's surgery for some drat reason.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Hey Waters and Gilmore are even more old than 50 and still can't loving get along. Love DiR bringing the Laibach 'New Original' thing to the Neofolky world.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I know they're not industrial but since they have a crossover fanbase into this scene , definitely go see Carpenter Brut live if you get the chance.
Just saw them tonight and they were absolutely incredible. Genuinely better than most other bands I've seen live in the last few years.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm very happy to hear that. The poo poo Rave said about Cevin was completely out of line. I wouldn't be able to work with someone if they disrespected a life long friend of mine like that.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
From Negativland, the ultimate in artist-fan relations merchandising. U2 will never top this one. Sadly.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Teethgrinder, did you see this already?

http://en.dependent.de/seabound-everything.html

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Heh heh already ordered :)

Thank you weak Euro.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I'm at vnv nation tonight in montreal. 18 years after i saw then in la. I've peed 4 times already. This is the vnv report.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm still on a post-concert high from seeing them last night ... impossible to be in a bad mood after.

Assemblage 23 in two days!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

I'm still on a post-concert high from seeing them last night ... impossible to be in a bad mood after.

Assemblage 23 in two days!

It was great. I would've liked to hear Solitary and I'm fuckin sore and old.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Heh. People kept showing for Honour ... Ronan said we should be happy we got Joy.

My white-whale of a live song is Monochrome by Covenant. Four times and no luck.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

Heh. People kept showing for Honour ... Ronan said we should be happy we got Joy.

My white-whale of a live song is Monochrome by Covenant. Four times and no luck.

We got honour, and i've seen Solitary/Joy three other times. No If I Was either, which surprised me given how hard they leaned on the last half of the catalog.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
How come I never listened to Die Sektor until now? WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siBf3RmsaaA

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Just throwing this out there, but I have a ticket for the Youth Code show in Baltimore tonight, and I (read: my boss) have determined I won't be free this evening. If anyone happens to want it, PM me, I guess. No money, just promise me you'll rock out to the best of your abilities.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Project Pitchfork's Look Up, I'm Down There is released on Spotify here.

I need to listen more rather than distractedly and while constantly interrupted at work, but superficially it feels a lot more accessible and enjoyable than the last pile. No club bangers though heh.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I've listened to it 3-4 times and to me it feels like a very solid Project Pitchfork album - but not much more. I was intrigued by the slightly different direction Blood took soundwise and I was a bit disappointed to not hear any more of that here. I do love the return of copious amounts of pianos, though. Can't even remember when Pitchfork used pianos in this capacity the last time. Anyway, here are my thoughts thus far:

- Into Orbit, Titânes (totally a club banger! Or at least a moshpit one) and Propaganda Child are a great opening trio of tracks, and Into Orbit and Propaganda Child definitely belong in the pantheon of loving Awesome Project Pitchfork Tracks. Really great stuff, would love to see them live.

- Blind Eye and Pandora just aren't that interesting in my opinion, although Blind Eye is better than I thought based on the album sampler. Pandora reminds me of one of the less memorable Eon:Eon tracks?

- Title track is very pretty and very touching. Volcano is cool as hell and loving fantastic and I'm really glad they're playing that live.

- Sunset Devastation sounds awesome but I feel it lacks some kind of massive chorus or climactic moment, now it never really takes off?

- Open With Caution is fun if a bit unremarkable. I feel like this could be a great live track though. Furious Numbers has some prime lyrical Spilles-isms and is just a ton of fun, another one I'd love to see live.

- Exile is surprisingly hectic but I can't get much of a grip on it yet. Sky Eye sounds like a Nil redux which wouldn't be a bad thing, but it feels a bit unnecessary here. As far as these slower tracks go, I'd definitely take the title track over this one. Maybe they should've saved this as a bonus track and had Look Up, I'm Down There close the album instead.

Also Pendulum is really good and it's cool they're playing it live too.

Overall a solid album. No real stinkers unlike Blood which had a couple, but it's also not as interesting to me. More like another Project Pitchfork album. I'm always up for more Project Pitchfork though, so no problem there.

edit: Huh, the remix of Exile is a lot better than the normal version. It's more like an extended version of it and adds a really cool section to the track.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 29, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I noticed recently that there's actually some Coil releases available new on Amazon right now, amazingly enough. This is a delightful surprise to anyone used to only seeing a smattering of $35 used CDs. I ended up buying them, which are basically 2.5 versions of the "lost" album Backwards. Backwards was supposed to be the follow up to Love's Secret Domain. It was worked on from 92-96 but never got released because of issues with "little grey men." Material from it showed up in various forms over the years, but it never saw a real release... until now. I'll do some quick reviews of them... backwards (by release date).

Backwards - Well, here it is, 20 years after it was finished. It is not a coincidence that the album was only released after both John Balance and Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson died. I wasn't sure if this album was actually the real deal, but reading an interview with Danny Hyde, it is. Danny was one of Coil's producers and worked on this album and a few of their others. Apparently Sleazy was hesitant to put it out there because he thought there were still legal issues, and John would have just wanted to rework the whole thing, so unfortunately it only happened after both of them passed on.

The album is a continuation of the LSD style, moving a bit closer to their later "moon musick" style. For a Coil album it is very straightforwardly industrial, if that makes sense. Stand out tracks are Backwards, Fire of the Mind, and Heaven's Blade. With a title like Heaven's Blade the song just seems like it should be awesome and it is - sort of feels like a sequel to Windowpane from LSD.

The New Backwards - this was originally a bonus to the 2007 re-release of The Ape of Naples. Sleazy and Hyde reworked some of the songs off Backwards to mixed results. The standout (and practically the reason to buy the album) is the opener Be Careful What You Wish For. The album ends with an unrelated little loungey tune called Princess Margaret's Man in the D'jalfna, which is pleasant enough, and there's also the original version of Backwards on here. However, the rest of the songs are extended mixes of songs from Backwards which unfortunately come off as a bit tedious to me. What worked fine as a 4-5 minute song on Backwards gets a bit annoying when stretched out to 8. This is my least favorite album of the bunch.

The Ape of Naples - the last "real" Coil release in 2005. Completed by Sleazy and Hyde after the death of Balance, this is a very slow and gloomy album. It features some reworked songs from Backwards as well as LSD and other albums, so in a way it's a career retrospective. The new version of Fire of the Mind works fine for this album, but Heaven's Blade... I dunno, it seems a shame to take a monster of a song and turn it into this thing. I would have left it out entirely. I don't like this album as much as the two Musick to Play in the Dark albums, but it's still pretty good and unmistakably Coil.

Anyway, I would recommend Backwards to anyone in this thread, the rest of them depend on how much of a Coil fan you are.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've always loved the version of Be Careful What You Wish For from The New Backwards, but when I heard the original version from Backwards I liked it a bit more, it's just so beastly.

Also this fan music video is neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLNQPPvncek

Coil owns.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Jeeze - I didn't know that Peter Christopherson had died - it happened a few months after my son was born so I wasn't paying much attention to the outside world then. What a bummer.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They're also available on iTunes. Honestly I prefer Ape and TNB to Backwards, which feels like it was abandoned in a half finished state, the former 2 albums are just so much more polished.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

A local here in Houston has Ape of Naples, Astral Disasters, Horse Rotovator and Backwards on vinyl. Last time I was in, I snagged Love's Secret Domain (everyone's obvious choice) and it's super duper tasty. I need to go back and grab those other LPs when I'm willing to either destroy a credit card or have cash to burn.

True Confession: My first exposure to COIL was the LSD in CD format. Now pretty much listening to the vinyl version, I enjoy the condense track listing more. Although, I do wonder sometimes what's it like in Ohio.

It's probably been posted before, but Recoiled has some pretty nice unreleased NIN remixes. I'm guessing these were tracks not used for Fixed. Worth hearing, and sometimes you can find it on vinyl.

I had a playlist of Recoiled, some Puppy, Doubting Thomas, Charlie's Family, obligatory Misfits and some other tasty selections while handing out candy for a neighborhood party on Saturday. The COIL stuff worked out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Ashbury Heights covered Don't Fear the Reaper for Halloween:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzSjfgci64s

At first I thought it was Follow the Reaper, which would have been amazing, but I'm pretty happy with this too.