Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The folks saying that San Junipero's "heaven on earth" doesn't actually mean immortality because it's a duplicate of the individual's consciousness are, I think, missing that the most critical aspect of said "immortality" is the gapless experience of that individual's consciousness. The Ship of Theseus parallel was brought up earlier, and I think that's a better example (though on a practical level not a perfect comparison at all) of what's happening in the episode. I guess it could be argued that we don't ever actually have this explained fully by the text itself, but as I saw it, the experience for the user is, essentially:

- Real-world you, still awake, places the diode thingy on their temple.
- Real-world you slips into sleep or unconsciousness.
- You—absent of your real-world body—wake up in San Junipero, or wherever you please.
- You get to enjoy that world forever, if you choose.

In this case, while the physical aspects of you are abandoned to dust, the mental aspect—the "you"—hasn't ceased to be at any point. Just as you don't cease to exist as an individual when you're dreaming, you don't cease to exist as an individual when you pass over into San Junipero. It's just a purely intangible version of you that, in the physical world, exists only as bits and bytes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'd recommend going out of order and not watching Hated in the Nation last. I thought it was boring as all get-out, and I'd rank it below even the Waldo episode. I know others have ranked the episodes, I'd say 342156 (and 6 is in dead last by a huge margin).

Again, I'm being that annoying person and not reading posts yet, but thanks a ton for the heads up.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
So my husband has never seen Black Mirror. I showed him Nosedive and he hated it :( He did like the production design, music, and overall aesthetic. But he just couldn't identify with or care about the main character.

He's still willing to give the show another chance. Debating between showing him White Christmas (he loves Jon Hamm) or San Junipero (he likes romantic dramas and 80s music). Which one do you guys think is the better episode? They're both so good in such different ways, I can't decide!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

ghost emoji posted:

So my husband has never seen Black Mirror. I showed him Nosedive and he hated it :( He did like the production design, music, and overall aesthetic. But he just couldn't identify with or care about the main character.

He's still willing to give the show another chance. Debating between showing him White Christmas (he loves Jon Hamm) or San Junipero (he likes romantic dramas and 80s music). Which one do you guys think is the better episode? They're both so good in such different ways, I can't decide!

White Christmas without a doubt.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I love Black Mirror and thought Nosedive was the weakest of the batch. San Junipero's my personal recommendation (especially for that music, holy god), but it's also not really typical Black Mirror. White Christmas absolutely is.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

ghost emoji posted:

Based on his complaint I'd say San Junipero. Tell him there's a Jon Hamm episode too after he's seen that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoggPickle posted:

Again, I'm being that annoying person and not reading posts yet, but thanks a ton for the heads up.

Just in case you read this post, I disagree and think the order is fine as is, and that the last episode is good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nosedive is boring. White Christmas is a great choice.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Shut Up And Dance

"That's The Way I Like It" is playing in the background when the paedo dude is smiling at the little girl, looooooooooool.

EDIT: Also, the malware remover he uses is called Shrive. As in, to confess one's sins. lolololol.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 27, 2016

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I'm kind of surprised no one seems to like Playtest. I guess the ultimate ending was kind of lame but goddamn some of those visuals were truly nightmarish to me. I guess since i almost never watch horror movies I'm not used to it. I also liked Wyatt Russell, I thought he had a good amount of smarm and conveyed being scared and then dealing with it being the game well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

San Junipero is the episode you show someone who has no interest in what BM usually does. It's also good as a fan of the show because it does something different from the rest and pulls it off really well.

But it's definitely not the one to show someone in an attempt to get them into the show. That would just be misleading!

RustedChainsaw
Mar 13, 2006
Liberal Arts Program/Lightly Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cereal

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I'm kind of surprised no one seems to like Playtest. I guess the ultimate ending was kind of lame but goddamn some of those visuals were truly nightmarish to me. I guess since i almost never watch horror movies I'm not used to it. I also liked Wyatt Russell, I thought he had a good amount of smarm and conveyed being scared and then dealing with it being the game well.

I really liked Playtest for the same reasons, but I keep seeing it at the bottom of everyone's lists... Even Charlie Brooker came out and said he just wanted a spooky scary episode that was fun, which Playtest knocked out the park, and there were only a couple smarmy moments for Wyatt Russell. It's ahead of the "What if dehumanizing the enemy, but too much" & Blue's Bizzare Bee Blowout IMO.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I should watch White Bear again but I absolutely hated it when I did. The twist at the end did not retroactively make me enjoy the really bad episode before the twist.

But then again, when you get right down to it, the only thing that makes me love 15 Million Merits as much as I do is that it ends the way it does. It's an episode that could have been done without any SFX or setting it in the future; all you have to do is make it about a Slam Poet and almost literally nothing changes. You still have the exact same theme of "selling out to buy in to tell people how much you haven't sold out".

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
I showed a friend San Junipero first, and she loved it.

Then I showed her White Bear. :getin:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Trying to do it San Junipero style has some deep philosophical hurdles.

In my view, "upload" immortality, isn't.

Your consciousness and "self" is a product of experience your brain is manufacturing. Now maybe you can make a 100% perfect digital simulcra, but once the neurons stop firing in your meat-brain, the subjective experience of "you" ends. Maybe it continues for that digital doppelganger, but that's little comfort for the "actual" you that's chilling in oblivion.

On the other hand, what if you do it ship of Theseus style? If you could replace the function of a few neurons here, a few there, and then keep the same hybrid construct running till it was 100% robo-brain, then plug that in? I don't know man.

Heavy stuff.

the game soma goes over a similar idea really well.

the problem in san junipero is you seem to actually be able to transfer consciousness completely (as you can do visits while alive and remember what happened in the simulation when you wake up in the real world) as opposed to just make a copy of your consciousness inside the server as would happen in typical brain uploading scenarios - as happens in soma.

Regy Rusty posted:

San Junipero is the episode you show someone who has no interest in what BM usually does. It's also good as a fan of the show because it does something different from the rest and pulls it off really well.

But it's definitely not the one to show someone in an attempt to get them into the show. That would just be misleading!

this is why even though san junipero is a great episode i have to give the top mark for this season to shut up and dance because it's totally black mirror and san junipero isn't.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 27, 2016

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
None of the stories seemed willing to commit to their theme, and ended up just going all over the place as a result. And everything was about a half hour too long as well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did you just watch the sixth episode six times?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Just caught this, and I liked almost every episode to some extent, besides Nosedive. It felt like 15 Million Merits but utterly stupid. Like the message of 'all this status stuff is meaningless, worry about what matters and is real and important!' completely falls apart when the show is constantly showing us that your user-rating has massive and demonstrable benefits in the real world.
It's like trying to have the metaphor of 'money isn't what really matters.' work when you have a wealthy millionaire telling a poor person that money isn't really that important.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like the message of 'all this status stuff is meaningless, worry about what matters and is real and important!'

That's not the message.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nosedive takes on a somewhat funny angle if you've been watching Schur's new show The Good Place (which is really, well, good).

One of its basic premises is that your entry into Heaven is dependent on accumulating enough "points" via good deeds, and one of the main characters is an insufferable fake try-hard who "technically" did a lot of good in her life.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Nosedive is seriously making me rethink about my obsession with Social Media

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Nosedive had a very obvious message about class dynamics and the importance of meaningful relationships which I'm not sure how anyone could possibly miss

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

precision posted:

But then again, when you get right down to it, the only thing that makes me love 15 Million Merits as much as I do is that it ends the way it does. It's an episode that could have been done without any SFX or setting it in the future; all you have to do is make it about a Slam Poet and almost literally nothing changes. You still have the exact same theme of "selling out to buy in to tell people how much you haven't sold out".

There is no option to take down the system, though. The only options are to keep fighting the system futilely, or to play the game. The best way to tell people your anti-system message is to sell out in order to be given a voice to do so. Of course this does undermine your message as it is now this very system that gave you your voice. This is something I liked about 15 Million Merits, the main character did not have some alternative option where he actually succeeds in tearing down the system, he joins it because the only other option is to sit back down on his bike, forever, without ever being able to fight the system again.

Nosedive kind of does the same thing, it shows how hosed up stuff is but it also shows why it is so hard to effect change from the inside. My first reaction to it was thinking that it wouldn't work because it would just turn into a giant circlejerk where everybody 5s everybody because it's in their own best interest (since the receiver will be likely to reciprocate). And something similar to ratings on sites like Amazon where you can buy a bunch of 5 star reviews from a third party. But then the episode goes on to show us that it is broken in exactly that way, but you cannot escape it even if you realize that.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

precision posted:

You (and everyone) should watch Network.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zenithe posted:

You (and everyone) should watch Network.

The film? Yeah, it's awesome.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Film Crit Hulk a lot usually but his article on Black Mirror is a piece of poo poo it's basically "why isn't this show woke, 0/10"

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Escobarbarian posted:

I like Film Crit Hulk a lot usually but his article on Black Mirror is a piece of poo poo it's basically "why isn't this show woke, 0/10"

Yer, there are some good points - the 15 million merits 'purity myth' one is something that is played upon in the episode and depending on your viewpoint and experiences I could see how that could detract from (what I see as) the actual message about pop culture and conformity but it's all hidden under stuff like this for White Bear;

quote:

DEAR COMMENTERS! WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS EPISODE SAYING IN TERMS OF A COHERENT DRAMATIC STATEMENT? BECAUSE IT COMES TOGETHER AS NONSENSE TO HULK. THERE'S CERTAINLY SOMETHING ABOUT THE WAY WE GLEEFULLY AND PUBLICLY PUNISH AND PILE ON MONSTERS (THOUGH MOST OF SOCIETY DOESN'T WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT AND SWEEPS PEOPLE UNDER THE RUG, BUT HEY WHAT DOES THAT MATTER WHEN YOU CAN FEAR-MONGER?). BUT THE SPECIFICS OF HER CRIME AND THE "HOW DO YOU LIKE IT NOW?" MANTRA OF HER PUNISHMENT JUST FEELS SO VAGUE AND CONFUSED. IS IT JUST ABOUT THE WAY SOCIETY HATES MOTHERS WHO DON'T TAKE CARE OF CHILDREN? IS THIS REALLY ABOUT PEOPLE FILMING CRIMES, BUT NOT CARING? IS IT REALLY EQUATING THE CHILD MURDERER WITH THE PASSERBY WHO HAPPENS TO CATCH SOMETHING? DOES THIS TAKE PLACE IN SOME IMAGINED WORLD WHERE THIS FILMING CRIMES THING HAPPENS ALL THE TIME? LIKE... WHAT? WHAT UNIVERSE DOES THIS TAKE PLACE IN WHERE ALL THESE THINGS ARE NOT JUST WORRIES, BUT WORTHY OF THIS CRAZY HYPOTHETICAL COMMENTARY THAT LINKS THEM? IS IT JUST THIS IMAGINED WORST PART OF HUMAN NATURE?

IT FEELS LIKE THIS WEIRD, PARANOID, TONE-DEAF THING, BECAUSE HULK DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT THE FIRST THING HULK THINKS OF WHEN IT COMES TO THE IMPACT OF "CELL PHONES FILMING VIOLENT ACTS" IS HOW THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY FINALLY HAS A WAY OF EXPOSING HEINOUS ACTS OF ABUSIVE POLICE POWER THAT HAVE BEEN GOING ON FOR DECADES... BUT HEY, WHY TACKLE SOMETHING ACTUALLY ACCURATE TO SOCIETY'S CONCERNS WHEN YOU COULD DISAPPEAR UP YOUR OWN BUTT WITH SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T MAKE MUCH SENSE AT ALL? AGAIN, IT ALL JUST GOES BACK TO THIS WEIRD MODUS OPERANDI WITH THIS SHOW. IT'S LIKE THERE'S A SOCIOLOGICAL ASSUMPTION BEING MADE THAT WE FILM VIOLENCE AND THAT ACT OF FILMING SEPARATES US FROM OUR FELLOW MAN, OR PREVENTS US FROM HELPING, WHEN REALLY THE VERY THING HE'S CRITICIZING IS ACTUALLY THIS INCREDIBLY SOCIALLY EMPOWERING ACT THAT IS BRINGING LIGHT TO OUR MOST INHUMANE CRIMES... HULK WOULD ACCUSE IT OF BEING OUTRIGHT DISHONEST, BUT THE TRUTH IS HULK JUST DOESN'T THINK BROOKER EVER BOTHERED TO THINK ABOUT IT LIKE THAT. BECAUSE THE SAD THING IS HIS SHOW ISN'T INTERESTED IN THE TRUTH LIKE THAT... IT WILL IGNORE WHAT'S REALLY HAPPENING HERE

and it becomes a bit weird. To the point where I don't know if there was a step missed in the analysis or that he just didn't understand the ending.

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 28, 2016

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Yeah i can see why they'd want to bury criticism of that caliber under such a fun and approachable gimmick

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Hated in the Nation could one have averted the beepocalypse by wearing pulling your shirt over your face or throwing on a motorbike helmet or something?

Also Patrick from Coupling is still super handsome.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 28, 2016

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

It sounds like the main misstep in that Film Crit Hulk example is not picking up on UK tabloid culture, instead linking it to Black Lives Matter for some reason.

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 28, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Hated in the Nation could one have averted the beepocalypse by wearing pulling your shirt over your face or throwing on a motorbike helmet or something?

Maybe they're programmed to kill people who cover their face? Otherwise, yes.

I assume Groucho glasses would be the perfect solution.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Danger posted:

It sounds like the main misstep in that Film Crit Hulk example is not picking up on UK tabloid culture, instead linking it to Black Lives Matter for some reason.

w/r/t White Bear, absolutely. and then when he was confronted on it he just went "but Black Lives Matter is a thing in the UK too!!!!" ignoring the fact the episode is coming up to four years old.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Also Patrick from Coupling is still super handsome.

Who knows what might've worked against them if people had had more time to figure it out, but it did seem they had a good amount of memory and collaboration as they followed the third victim to the safehouse and then swarmed the house together. They were definitely able to keep track of where their target was.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah if it's a swarm like that then you'd just die of suffocation or a million cuts.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

this is one of the dumbest things i've ever read, and i've seen my entire post history

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wanna specify that, despite the gimmick, I think he's one of the best film and TV writers on the net. But I can't loving believe how much he missed the mark there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I wanna specify that, despite the gimmick, I think he's one of the best film and TV writers on the net. But I can't loving believe how much he missed the mark there.

ok well if he wants normal loving people to parse through that all-caps bullshit he can do it anytime, for now he can get hosed.

I think episodes 1-4 of S3 were great but I didn't really feel 5. Felt like the overall twist was pretty weak. 6 was just a slog but I somewhat enjoyed the payoff. honestly I enjoyed them all except 5 which I felt was lame as poo poo.

3>4>1>2>6>5

Echoing what people have said about 4 not being as much a BM episode as the others so 3 had to take the cake for me, if only because it felt more believable than anything else yet.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Total Meatlove posted:

Yer, there are some good points - the 15 million merits 'purity myth' one is something that is played upon in the episode and depending on your viewpoint and experiences I could see how that could detract from (what I see as) the actual message about pop culture and conformity but it's all hidden under stuff like this for White Bear;

and it becomes a bit weird. To the point where I don't know if there was a step missed in the analysis or that he just didn't understand the ending.

IT'S LIKE THERE'S A SOCIOLOGICAL ASSUMPTION BEING MADE HERE...that Britain three years ago and the US right now are identical and the same things occupy their respective zeitgeists.

I also took issue with this part of Hulk's analysis of The Entire History of You:

quote:

BUT IN THE END, THERE IS SIMPLY THIS ARGUMENT BEING PUT FORTH BY THE EPISODE...

IT'S THE TECH'S FAULT.

IT REALLY SEEMS TO BE ARGUING THAT THE MOTIVES AND UGLINESS OF HUMAN BEINGS DON'T MATTER SO MUCH, AS IF THEY WOULD JUST BE LITTLE PANGS OF JEALOUSY THAT WOULD FLOAT AWAY. THAT WE WOULD BE ABLE TO LET GO AND LIVE IN THE MOMENT AND CONCENTRATE ON WHAT MATTERS. YOU KNOW, JUST LIKE THE FREE-SPIRITED PERSON WHO GOT HER IMPLANT JACKED AND NEVER WENT BACK (IT'S ALL A CLEAR METAPHOR OF "LIFE IS BETTER WITHOUT MY SMARTPHONE"!). BUT WITH THE TECH, WE ARE SUDDENLY EMPOWERED TO BE DARK RAVENOUS JEALOUS MONSTERS OR, LATER, ONES TRAPPED IN MEMORIES OF LOST LOVE. SO OUR TITLE CHARACTER DOES THE ONLY THING THAT SEEMS RIGHT AND TAKES THE IMPLANT OUT OF HIS HEAD BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IS AT FAULT... BUT IF WE WERE TO TALK ABOUT THE HUMAN NATURE HERE, IS THE THING BEING EMPOWERED HERE REALLY ALL THAT PSYCHOLOGICALLY DIFFERENT FROM SOMEONE HIRING JAKE GITTES IN CHINATOWN?

The way Hulk emphasizes "the only thing that seems right" leads me to believe they viewed Liam as an author insert, that Charlie Brooker is saying "people should not have perfect recall of their memories." When of course Liam removing his implant in the end is the only thing that seems right to him, because he's a jealous, abusive person, and it's easier to say "the grain made Ffion cheat on me, and the grain made me drive drunk, break into an acquaintance's house, attack them, and then attack my wife" than to accept that he's a deeply flawed person who married another one. Hulk's big assertion, that Black Mirror is a Crichton-esque neo-luddite work, is directly contrary to everything Charlie Brooker's actually said about the series.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Entire History of You is the only one Brooker didn't write but it definitely feels in line with his general ethos.

I do remember a lot of reviews at the time being like "I don't care for this episode as much, because people will always be jealous, this technology hasn't changed that," and it's like, uh... yeah, reviewer, that's kind of the point. The problem isn't the tech anymore than Facebook is the problem for the guy who won't stop stalking his ex with it. He may have to cut himself off from the service, but it's still him that has issues, not social media. There are actually people watching this show who believe its strength is that it's a thinly veiled slam on those Twitter Teens who won't get off their phones and do their chores, which is super baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol did he really think white bear was related to black lives matter what.