Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Detective Buttfuck posted:

Disguising as a soldier, then pointing at another soldier and claiming he's the protagonist in disguise so that he is shot to ribbons by other paranoid solders, will never get old.

Neither will running around as a grandma with a grenade launcher.

It's a good screwing around game, shame about the boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

Neither will running around as a grandma with a grenade launcher.

It's a good screwing around game, shame about the boss fights.

Powerbombing someone as a grandma off a skyscraper was also good for a laugh.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Disguising as a soldier, then pointing at another soldier and claiming he's the protagonist in disguise so that he is shot to ribbons by other paranoid solders, will never get old.

What I loved about this was how it's an ability unlocked by story progression. i.e. You've made the enemy paranoid enough that pointing and shouting is enough to make it work.

"Marines! We...did it again. :smith:"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Prototype was the best The Thing game

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Also, I loved clearing bases in the first by stealth consuming everyone but the last dude. Him I'd go psychovirus on.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Wasn't Prototype the one where the entire game you think you're playing this guy who was infected by the virus, but at the end it's revealed that the virus totally consumed him and the character you've been playing is just the lingering remnants of his memory/personality that the virus has imprinted itself with?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Wasn't Prototype the one where the entire game you think you're playing this guy who was infected by the virus, but at the end it's revealed that the virus totally consumed him and the character you've been playing is just the lingering remnants of his memory/personality that the virus has imprinted itself with?

That is correct.

"No John, you are the virus!"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, and iirc the virus decides that the man it was initiating was a massive loving rear end in a top hat.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

WarLocke posted:

This is ripped off from Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing in the 80s, by the way. IIRC Swampy is attacking some kind of lab that has information on his accident and finds conclusive proof that the man he thought he was is actually dead and gone and he's literally a big psychic potato man, and kills the villain since, while that wouldn't be what he would have done as a human, he was never human to begin with.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And the comic book lead up to the sequel (uggggghhhhhh) justifies him becoming the villain of 2 because he traveled the world and realized humanity sucks and must be destroyed (uuuggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh)

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I hadn't read the comic so the role Mercer played in 2 was a bit "well then". But as we've noted, it's not the plot we love, but the ability to wreak havoc and go from knifearms morphman to gun grandma in like two seconds flat.

Another of the abilities in the first was calling airstrikes. It was amusing to call one in on a military base itself. Yeah, either you don't check the target, or poo poo's snafu enough that bombing your own bases is an acceptable idea.

Also, I liked jumping straight up into and through catwalks.

graybook has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Oct 27, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The best ability, of course is injecting the virus into a dude to make him explode into Venom tentacles that then grab everything they can and slam them back into the guy that exploded; resulting in more explosions.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Mercer was a total poo poo yeah at some a cutscene reveals that he stole the virus and then deliberately broke the container it was in because he was about to be caught so like while the evil military scientists are bad mercer is worse but gently caress it blade arms and tentacle sweep.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Goofballs posted:

Mercer was a total poo poo yeah at some a cutscene reveals that he stole the virus and then deliberately broke the container it was in because he was about to be caught so like while the evil military scientists are bad mercer is worse but gently caress it blade arms and tentacle sweep.

Isn't the entire point of the first game that you're not actually playing as Mercer but the virus?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This is why I loved the Prototype 2 protagonist, James Heller. He was so loving angry all the time.

quote:

Heller: I'm at the computer, what do I press?
Guerra: First you need to —
Heller: I'm pressing the red button. poo poo. Now the screen's all hosed up.
Guerra: Okay, press the alternate key. "A.L.T." Alternate —
Heller: Alt? There's no loving alt. I got a loving squiggly line key, I got a loving key with a triangle on it — what the gently caress kind of keyboard is this anyway?

Guerra: Don't forget to log off!
Heller: Yeah, yeah.
(Heller walks away)
Intercom: Terminal 4 is currently logged on with no personnel present. Please return to your station and commence proper log off procedure.
Heller: gently caress off. I hate computers.

Then of course there's his response to Mercer's end game monologue.

quote:

Mercer: "Can't you understand what I'm doing? Humanity is stagnant! Dying! I would give it one body! One mind! Think about it! No more conflict! No more disease! No more suffering! Don't you see? I'm giving it a second chance!"
Heller: "ENOUGH of your loving weird, loving rambling poo poo!"

:allears:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't the entire point of the first game that you're not actually playing as Mercer but the virus?

Yeah he dies pretty much instantly and the virus just thinks it is mercer for most of the game but when he was alive what a loving dick move, lol I'm hosed why not release a plague that might kill everyone else in the city

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

quote:

I'm pressing the red button. poo poo. Now the screen's all hosed up.
This just about made me double over when I played it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

poptart_fairy posted:

This is why I loved the Prototype 2 protagonist, James Heller. He was so loving angry all the time.

Then of course there's his response to Mercer's end game monologue.

:allears:

I honestly didn't know there WAS a Prototype 2 but I'm reading all these lines in the voice of Washington from House of the Dead: Overkill and it sounds amazing

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Danaru posted:

I honestly didn't know there WAS a Prototype 2 but I'm reading all these lines in the voice of Washington from House of the Dead: Overkill and it sounds amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuS6ZJrfZXQ not far off!

The guy was having the time of his life in that role. It should be really cheap on PC now, and runs really well. Game doesn't take itself anywhere near as seriously as the first one and benefits hugely.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
In 100ft Robot Golf, there's a Voltron-like robot piloted by 5 corgi.

It's loving adorable. :kimchi:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Got around to playing Scooby Doo and the Night of 100 Frights, and I loved how meta the ending was.

Velma realised that Holly, Alexander Graham's granddaughter and her friend, was not what he seemed when she saw her hand clipping through the railing during the run up to the final boss. Also, when she is revealed as the mastermind and that the 'Holly' they had been seeing was a hologram, Shaggy spells it out:

"Even her name. Holly Graham. Get it?! Hologram! Hehe!"

Also, loved the Don Knotts rant when Shaggy tried to finger him as the culprit: "Suuuuurre, blame the creepy groundkeeper. I couldn't have kept people away with a "Don't walk on the grass" sign, nooooo, I'll just rent a bog ol' rubber monster suit!"

The writing in that game is so :3:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inzombiac posted:

The best ability, of course is injecting the virus into a dude to make him explode into Venom tentacles that then grab everything they can and slam them back into the guy that exploded; resulting in more explosions.

This is what replaces the accuse ability in 2, so it's a bit of a hard sell. (Also the stealth is just as broken as it ever was, so often enemies don't actually have a reaction to their buddies getting maimed.) I'm more a fan of the active tendrils power since it wrecks brawlers and juggernauts. Either way though you end up leaving horrible tendril messes of loosely hanging body parts everywhere.

poptart_fairy posted:

It should be really cheap on PC now, and runs really well.

It has two big problems: One is a logic error really early on (like mission 2 early on) where an objective fails to update correctly and leaves you stuck in a limbo state. You can dodge that by dropping the game's CPU core affinity to 1 core for the couple of seconds it takes to trigger that objective, but apparently that doesn't always work. Two, it rather infamously hates AMD cards. Assuming you can avoid those two issues, it looks great and plays great.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

That was the best part of Prototype by far. It's just a shame once you did a handful of story missions so many virus sensors and super duper sensor mens showed up that stealth just became miserable and the best approach to everything was to rush in and brute force eat and kill everyone rather than stealth it. Which was the reason I disliked the game so much coming out of it. They had a really awesome thing for the first like quarter of the game. Then they hosed it up, then hosed it up doubly when it became infected enemy fun time because fighting those things sucked.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There are a number of game mechanics that would work better in an open-ended Hitman-style game rather than your bog-standard Sandbox. Like either shape-shifting or possessing people since they have been before, just in no game people really like to play, like in Geist and the Metal Gear ripoff Spy Fiction.

Sandboxes are too often just lazy filler these days when you can wring out so much more unique and less time-consuming stuff from a mission-select or a metroidvania.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The story in Prototype is so incredibly dumb on top of the way that characters disappear at the drop of a hat and the final boss appears out of nowhere, I might buy that it was intentionally cheesy and bad if they didn't spend all the time and money making hours of tie-in FMV material for all the different targets you could devour.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

The story in Prototype is so incredibly dumb on top of the way that characters disappear at the drop of a hat and the final boss appears out of nowhere, I might buy that it was intentionally cheesy and bad if they didn't spend all the time and money making hours of tie-in FMV material for all the different targets you could devour.

That boss comes so out of nowhere I thought I was only halfway through the game and the real antagonist would show up again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You could tell they ran out of time/money towards the end of the game.

Edit: And now that I've hit that point, the second game just kind of ends too. drat. :/

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Oct 28, 2016

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So the Scooby Doo and FRIENDS games are some stupid noodle-incident-type joke, right?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yes, it's the new version of that FRIENDs FMV game people kept trying to push as totally genuine guys, lol!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
No Friends, Scooby-Doo!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Wasabi the J posted:

So the Scooby Doo and FRIENDS games are some stupid noodle-incident-type joke, right?

Nope.

Fans of the original show loved the game, feeling it was compensation for the N64 game released in 2000. The game also marks the first and only time Don Knotts did voice work for a video game

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooby-Doo!_Night_of_100_Frights

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jojoinnit posted:

Nope.

Fans of the original show loved the game, feeling it was compensation for the N64 game released in 2000. The game also marks the first and only time Don Knotts did voice work for a video game

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooby-Doo!_Night_of_100_Frights

It's almost like a simple Google search woukd have confirmed this was real :eyepop:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well poo poo, I eat my hat then. No clue why I was only getting the cartoon up for google searches.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
F*R*I*E*N*D*S: True Friends is real, in my dreams. :smith:

In terms of little things in games that do exist: Max has dynamic sweat in Max Payne 3, not just on his shirt from flopping around everywhere, but also actually dripping down his forehead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oUCoqHK7Uw&t=2083s
(34:40)

This is probably the closest look you can ever get and even then you have to be watching in high quality and fullscreen to see it. It's such an insanely tiny little detail that you can basically never even see that I am very impressed and a little bit concerned for how Rockstar spends their valuable development time

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

poptart_fairy posted:

Well poo poo, I eat my hat then. No clue why I was only getting the cartoon up for google searches.

Probably something to do with that creepy groundskeeper. It's always the groundskeeper.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

That boss comes so out of nowhere I thought I was only halfway through the game and the real antagonist would show up again.

You mean the boss that starts out literally as a thing feeding off you about a third of the way into the game and is set up as not dead when you get rid of it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nuebot posted:

That was the best part of Prototype by far. It's just a shame once you did a handful of story missions so many virus sensors and super duper sensor mens showed up that stealth just became miserable and the best approach to everything was to rush in and brute force eat and kill everyone rather than stealth it. Which was the reason I disliked the game so much coming out of it. They had a really awesome thing for the first like quarter of the game. Then they hosed it up, then hosed it up doubly when it became infected enemy fun time because fighting those things sucked.

Yeah, the first Prototype game was kind of weird in that they gave you a bunch of moves and combos that only worked on people but fairly early on in the game you get so powerful that you kill humans with one hit.

I've been replaying Infamous: Second Son and it does something that I really wished more games did. If you kill/defeat enough enemies the last couple of ones will surrender. Like it really doesn't make sense in open world crime games why some common gang members are going to just keep fighting to the last man and not give up once you've murdered like 10 of their friends.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

spooky like this! posted:

Yeah, the first Prototype game was kind of weird in that they gave you a bunch of moves and combos that only worked on people but fairly early on in the game you get so powerful that you kill humans with one hit.

You get kung fu moves and then like 20 minutes later you're turning your arms into giant swords and leaping thirty stories. It's still fun to do kung fu though.

Doesn't Crysis 2 have the same 'plot twist' ?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

well why not posted:

You get kung fu moves and then like 20 minutes later you're turning your arms into giant swords and leaping thirty stories. It's still fun to do kung fu though.

Doesn't Crysis 2 have the same 'plot twist' ?

Kinda-sorta. Most of the game is the Nanosuit's AI running on autopilot with a braindead corpse inside. It's not until the endgame you actually become self-aware as Prophet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Crysis 3 continues this craziness by having you actually be playing as the nanosuit, controlled by the consciousness of a character from the previous games, with Crysis 2's protagonist's corpse still assimilated inside it. Like, the only other video game I have ever seen do something like that is SOMA, which is, y'know, a horror game.

edit: And in fact, Crysis 3 is so strangely similar to SOMA in that way that the ending almost pulls SOMA's opening plot U-turn in reverse. The game reveals near the end that the suit has gained the ability to shapeshift, and so it takes on Prophet's original human appearance while still retaining its powers. At the very end, they go so far as to say that the suit has improved itself so much since Crysis 2 that it can change its physical form into literally anything. The plot in those games is just nuts, man.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 12:33 on Oct 28, 2016