Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nessus posted:

You and I both know that the Ferengi would convert to Objectivism or perhaps Scientology.

Prosperity Gospel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgD-UK_zn3k&t=72s

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Zurui posted:

Holy poo poo, how did I never notice this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdNbVxMNFvk

Man, imagine how much better First Contact could have been if it were a TNG/DS9 crossover. I feel like that was a thing that they planned until they realized it would be impractical due to budget/time constraints or whatever, right?

Picard and Sisko are stranded on the Enterprise instead of Picard and Data, working out the weird stress between them (and Sisko's contempt for Picard flaring again alongside his grief for Jennifer as he is being confronted with the Borg again), O'Brien/Geordi/Barclay all geeking out over engineering poo poo down on the planet, Kira leading a group of stranded officers somewhere belowdecks in a resistance against the Borg.

It wouldn't even need the full DS9 cast, just Sisko/Worf/a few others. And then it's a perfect setup for a DS9 movie.

This exists in my headcanon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's been mentioned before, and each time I find myself wanting that movie more and more. You could give Sisko parts of Worf and Lily's confrontations with Picard and it basically works as is. That whole sequence where you'd have Picard chew out Sisko and Worf for wanting to abandon ship, followed by Sisko delivering the "BLOW UP THEDAMN SHIP PI-CARD!" speech is such a tantalizing "What if?".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Every time it's brought up, it makes me sad that that's not what we got. DS9 got shafted in terms of movie stuff. Even Janeway got in on Nemesis.

Honestly, I feel like the Defiant was small enough it could have fitted in an Enterprise shuttlebay.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Every time it's brought up, it makes me sad that that's not what we got. DS9 got shafted in terms of movie stuff. Even Janeway got in on Nemesis.

Honestly, I feel like the Defiant was small enough it could have fitted in an Enterprise shuttlebay.

It nearly was, ship size proportions in Trek are notoriously flexible but that was pretty absurd.

E: everyone's favorite German turbonerd elucidates-- http://bit.ly/2fdvvYf

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 28, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The_Doctor posted:

Oh yeah, and my headcanon TNG/DS9 Crossover version of First Contact involves the Ent-D instead of the Ent-E. Its destruction was delayed by one movie.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drone posted:

Oh yeah, and my headcanon TNG/DS9 Crossover version of First Contact involves the Ent-D instead of the Ent-E. Its destruction was delayed by one movie.

I found this on TrekBBS:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

McSpanky posted:

I found this on TrekBBS:

Even in an amateur mockup that looks pretty sweet. Given what we saw in Generations and considering that First Contact had a substantially higher budget, I bet the Ent-D model would have looked reeeeeally good with ILM's effects.

It would also have made the Borg takeover much scarier, since we'd remember all those sets from TNG moments like "aww, that's where Sonia Gomez spilled coffee on the captain" or "hey there's that hallway section again, you know the one, so sad to see it all Borged up now."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Apollodorus posted:

Even in an amateur mockup that looks pretty sweet. Given what we saw in Generations and considering that First Contact had a substantially higher budget, I bet the Ent-D model would have looked reeeeeally good with ILM's effects.

It would also have made the Borg takeover much scarier, since we'd remember all those sets from TNG moments like "aww, that's where Sonia Gomez spilled coffee on the captain" or "hey there's that hallway section again, you know the one, so sad to see it all Borged up now."

And the Starfleet officer who is slowly being assimilated and begs Picard for a mercy kill is actually the skant guy from Encounter at Farpoint.

Hell of a movie this could have been.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah but then we wouldn't have had Troi flying the ship into the dirt.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah but then we wouldn't have had Troi flying the ship into the dirt.

You still could, technobabble it so they had to blow up the stardrive section to get Back to the Future. :science:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

You still could, technobabble it so they had to blow up the stardrive section to get Back to the Future. :science:

Or just blow up the drat ship to kill the Borg.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Have the Defiant blow up the drat ship to kill the Borg.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Have the Defiant blow up the drat ship to kill the Borg.

Ooh, that'd actually be quite clever. You've parked the Defiant in the Enterprise, and set it to self-destruct. So the Borg are unaware that's in effect because they're only connected to the Enterprise computer... Evacuate as many as you can into the saucer , detach and boom.

Then give DS9 another renamed ship. The USS Deviant

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Originally First Contact was going to blow the Defiant up at the start. DS9's writers were slightly annoyed when they found out.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MikeJF posted:

Originally First Contact was going to blow the Defiant up at the start. DS9's writers were slightly annoyed when they found out.

Was there even a throwaway line in DS9 about the Defiant fighting in that battle? It went from "basically a wreck" to "fighting the Dominion and poo poo" in like a week, chronologically.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Drone posted:

Was there even a throwaway line in DS9 about the Defiant fighting in that battle? It went from "basically a wreck" to "fighting the Dominion and poo poo" in like a week, chronologically.

The lost 'everyone shits on O'Brien' episode.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Drone posted:

Nope, Behr disliked the use of the Defiant in the movie so much that he actively avoided any reference to the events.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

Nope. If it happens when the uniform changes, though, I don't think the Defiant actually does anything for four or five episodes.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 28, 2016

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
From Memory Alpha:

quote:

Although some fans find it unusual that there is no acknowledgment of Star Trek: First Contact in this episode, such as a reference to the USS Defiant needing repair work, this was not an oversight on the part of the writers, but was in fact a conscious decision. Ira Steven Behr was not happy with how the Defiant had been used in the film ("I didn't see the point in bringing it on just to kick the crap out of it"), and he didn't see any reason to draw attention to it in this episode. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion) There would eventually be a brief reference to the film in "In Purgatory's Shadow".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Ooh, that'd actually be quite clever. You've parked the Defiant in the Enterprise, and set it to self-destruct. So the Borg are unaware that's in effect because they're only connected to the Enterprise computer... Evacuate as many as you can into the saucer , detach and boom.

Or let the important crew members leave on the Defiant and have them blow the poo poo out of the Enterprise with Worf at the helm, while I'm wishing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Purgatory's Shadow also establishes that it's been a month since Yoshi was born. When he was born, everyone was wearing the new uniforms. Real Bashir in the Dominion camp is wearing the old uniform and has been imprisoned for six weeks. This means the Dominion invasion of the Alpha Quadrant and the Borg attack on Earth happen within a few weeks of each other, assuming everyone in Starfleet got the uniforms at the same time. Must have been a stressful time to be an admiral!!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYV-qYeWPkk

Within the first second of this clip we see a mural and on it, a guy wielding a rifle who looks rather Klingon (red garbed man on the left)

Time travelling Klingons took part in the Russian revolution, now that would be a good story.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

T.C. posted:

More importantly, what are Riker and Picard staring dramatically at moments before it gets turned on? The back of Data's head?

Without the viewscreen on, the enterprise bridge is super awkward. Everything is set up so that nobody can look at anyone's face.

It's like that friend who has their living room set up entirely for TV watching. Then they have a party and you realize that you're all just sitting there pointing at a wall while you're trying to talk.

I've always thought the crew on those couple of ships that get blown the gently caress up as they hang around their assigned position while Picard waits until the most dramatic moment to issue his "fire" order must have been really annoyed while they were consumed by fire and vacuum.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Actually that looks a lot like Riker in that mural?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Picard: tell them to target these coordinates.

On the USS Finnigans Wake:
"Coordinates received from the Enterprise! I've punched them in!"
<awkward 5 second pause>
"Shields failing!"
<ship explodes>
:ughh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would be hilarious if the treatment of the defiant is why we got insurrection. DS9 people are pissed about first contact so when it's time for the next movie, they ask "Should we do a dominion movie? Will the dominion war still be happening?" And someone from DS9 says "no, it should be over by then." So instead of a cool dominion war movie, we got something from the rejected episodes pile.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In Episode 6 of the 7th Season, Data asks Worf to look after Spot and tell him that he is a pretty cat. Later in Episode 19 we are told Spot is pregnant with a litter of kittens. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic cat or something? I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Obviously, Spot is a transman.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Pwnstar posted:

In Episode 6 of the 7th Season, Data asks Worf to look after Spot and tell him that he is a pretty cat. Later in Episode 19 we are told Spot is pregnant with a litter of kittens. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic cat or something? I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Do we ever actually see Data feeding Spot? What if Data keeps ordering new Spots from the food dispenser because he kept killing/starving the old one?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Feline nutritional supplement is actually hydraulic fluid. Data is clueless.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Computer, create a cat able to defeat Data

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Grand Fromage posted:

Computer, create a cat able to defeat WarLocke

poo poo, I feel like this is the truth for every cat I've ever had.

loving plotters, man, the lot of them.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

He tries a bunch of different Catfood supplements.
We see Spot explicitly reject at least 2 IIRC.

RE: DS9 First Contact, this works really well with the Borg, but it's worth bringing up that this also gives you the chance to replace the queen with some kind of Dominion-Borg THING that's made them a rogue faction, similar to how Lore did in that one episode. This explaining why there is only one cube and also replacing the stupid zombie queen. Perhaps even allowing for an explanation of why they are focused on assimilating individuals, while still allowing the crew to pass through by showing no aggression (they want us to be subservient.)

That's my fanfiction, thanks.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I figure antimatter is just for starships since you need a lot of energy density there, planets/stations use solar and fusion.

Ohhh okay you're just talking about how they generate the antimatter, yeah I agree it's probably just huge solar arrays generating the power for that.

Cojawfee posted:

It would be hilarious if the treatment of the defiant is why we got insurrection. DS9 people are pissed about first contact so when it's time for the next movie, they ask "Should we do a dominion movie? Will the dominion war still be happening?" And someone from DS9 says "no, it should be over by then." So instead of a cool dominion war movie, we got something from the rejected episodes pile.

This is what Piller had to say about it:

quote:

As I wrote “Fade In” on Monday, October 13th, I was immediately confronted with my first decision -- where would Picard’s clutter arc begin? Where was he in his life when we find him?

On Deep Space Nine, the series which chronicles the continuing adventures of Starfleet, the Federation was involved in a desperate war for survival against the evil Dominion. It would be nice, I felt, to be consistent with the TV show. Picard and the Enterprise might be involved in combat when we find him. I called Ira who has guided the series for the last several years. “I know this is a hard question to answer,” I said. “But where do you think the Federation will be next Christmas when this movie comes out?”

Ira, who enjoys exploring the darker side of Twenty-Fourth century life, laughed and answered, “This might surprise you, knowing me. But I think things will be looking up for the Federation. The war will linger on but it’ll reach a stalemate probably by then and our stories will be more hopeful.” It made sense. Deep Space Nine would be in the middle of its last season -- the decision had been made long ago that it would run seven seasons -- and certainly they’d want to end the series on an uplifting note.

So, it seemed combat wasn’t the answer for Picard and as I sat there, I told myself it was probably just as well. Rick was not enthusiastic about the Dominion War plotline on Deep Space Nine and I knew he’d be reluctant to bring it to the big screen even as a tangential element.

So, I decided Picard would be awash in mundane details of duties heaped upon him by Starfleet Command as the war was winding down. It would be a far more subtle ‘regeneration’ for our Captain but I thought I could pull it off and I thought I could do it with humor which would be more in keeping with the tone of the film.

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
The First Contact uniform looks so warm. And you see in In The Pale Moonlight that it's got like three layers. Don't they have heating on DS9?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SavoyTruffle posted:

The First Contact uniform looks so warm. And you see in In The Pale Moonlight that it's got like three layers. Don't they have heating on DS9?

I'm sure it's some magic future fabric uniform system that keeps them at an optimal temperature and provides all sorts of basic workplace safety protections. Actually that would have been cool in first contact if someone got shot with a bullet gun and we see that their uniform actually saved them.

Actually you'd think it would be standard gear for a crew , specially anyone operating a potentially exploding console, to be wearing full protective gear. A typical federation helmsman should look something like this:

I always found it odd that other than the very sensible PPE seen in the classic trek movie's engineering crew no one in trek ever really wears anything other than tight fabric regardless of how ridiculously dangerous their work is.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 28, 2016

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

In the grim darkness of the 24th century, there is no WHMIS, no MSDS. There is only wool pyjamas and unmarked yellow barrels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

These dudes aren't even bothered with seatbelts, they aren't gonna wear some scrub environment suit.