Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

So salary wise what would a Network Engie make with 2-3 years of Networking Experience, a BS in CompSci as stated, adding CCNA R&S, CCNA Data Center, S+ A+ ITIL?

Im only pulling about $62k and starting to apply and have been headhunted a few times in the last 2 weeks. No interviews yet, but seems like everyone wants to start with contract work and $45k to start.

gently caress THAT.

Im wanting as much as possible of course, but seems like national average should be around $75k or better....

I have bills to pay and health insurance that I need for my family. I have put in my time in the front line dirt doing helpdesk since 1996.

75k+ sounds reasonable to me, especially if you have additional IT experience (help desk) PLUS the 2-3 network and the CCNA stuff.

Obviously location dependant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I live in OKC. Id really like to be making a looot more than this. The job Im at now has great on hand experience, but Im just not given enough responsibilities to get deep into it and I am ready to take on the added workload. Studying CCNP Switch right now.

Yeah I did Helpdesk at the current company from 2003, to 2014, so Ive definitely put my time in hell for that. Prior to that, worked tech support for an ISP (dialup LOL), some field computer repair for residences and some commercial stuff and even worked at the dreaded AOL back in the 90s.

Basically, in between the hands on stuff, Ive put in over 20 years on the phone. I have done my time!

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 16, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You should be making more than 60k with 20 years experience.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
20 years on the phone, only about 3 in actual direct network work.

It's why I went back to finish my degree in 2011, and completed in 2014. Yeah I got a 22% raise from where I was, but it just isn't enough.

I kinda hosed up on 2000/2001 as I volunteered to work nigh shift to "show initiative" Problem was I was so good at what I did then, there werent any problems or hiccups, so I fell off radar. Found out one day they were offering on site CCNA training AFTER it had started and I never got a heads up on it. One of the guys I worked with went on to recently quit his job after years of getting over 6 figures and regular big bonus money. rear end in a top hat would show up at my door every few weeks with a different car he bought because he was bored with the last one.

Now Im not saying Im worth $100k, but I would like to get there eventually which is why Im continuing my cert study. Pay me enough and Ill move too!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

OKC has a pretty low CoL. For a mid-level network engineer with a CCNA in that kind of area, 60-70k sounds about right.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Level Slide posted:

In the IT realm, I have practically nothing. I've installed Windows a few times and built a computer. At the very least I have an idea of where the wires go, but no direct professional experience.
I'm not sure if I'm going to get flak for this, but it sounds to me like you're at the level of knowledge and experience where you actually should do A+ or something equivalent. At least study a book/course for it even if you don't bother actually writing a test. If your computer knowledge doesn't really go beyond what I quoted, there is going to be a ton of stuff in A+ that you don't know and plenty of it will actually be useful. Mixed in with the useless crap you'll also learn if you do something like A+. Maybe it'd be good to start by looking at the review at the end of a book for A+ and see how much of it is stuff you know? Then for stuff you don't know, look in those chapters and/or google that subject a bit to compare with job postings and figure out how useful/relevant that knowledge is for getting jobs that you are interested in.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 17, 2016

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

"hey, this CICD test ain't bad, pretty sure I'll..."

FAILED

Got in the 780s, passing is 860. God damnit. Not looking forward to another week of staring at CUCM and RTMT.

mythicknight fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 17, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

For you young ones out there...keep your credentials up to date. I fell into a trap and had them lapse. A yearly test isn't a big deal. Don't feel they are worthless. Back in the old days they basically were but they righted the ship.

As for getting fleeced, the PMP is beating my wallet hard. Between test fee, affiliation fee, chapter fee, and an extra "decent book" and perhaps some decent exam questions this baby is $1K all in for a self-study type. Then there is this threat of getting your work and education looked at in an audit. Not a big deal, just some snail mail verifying everything.

Regardless, going to try to plow through this one in a month.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
I'm studying for the PMP as well so hit me up if you have any questions. I'm looking at about a grand for self study too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Mouse Cadet posted:

I'm studying for the PMP as well so hit me up if you have any questions. I'm looking at about a grand for self study too.

I'm grabbing Rita's book. Should have it late tomorrow.

Reading the PMBOK is basically like rubbing your balls against a cheese grater.

I really haven't delved into self testing type stuff yet. Let me know if you have any pointers. Got some freebee sites. But they seem outdated.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I passed mine in May let me know if you have any questions

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

vyst posted:

I passed mine in May let me know if you have any questions

Off the top of my head...from what I read most of the questions are scenario based. What to do next type thing. Is that correct?

200 questions, 4 hours, did you feel rushed through it?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Off the top of my head...from what I read most of the questions are scenario based. What to do next type thing. Is that correct?

200 questions, 4 hours, did you feel rushed through it?

I finished in 42 minutes and got 4P and 1MP. So I guess I'm probably not the best person to ask on that. But yes I would say 10% is definition type questions but a majority are scenario based and you take over a project at different stages and it's a lot of what would you do first type of thing.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Did you take any practice exams? If so do you recommend a particular company's?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

vyst posted:

I finished in 42 minutes and got 4P and 1MP. So I guess I'm probably not the best person to ask on that. But yes I would say 10% is definition type questions but a majority are scenario based and you take over a project at different stages and it's a lot of what would you do first type of thing.

Thanks, best news I ever had. I'm probably over thinking it. Eliminate 2 out of the four answers easily?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mouse Cadet posted:

Did you take any practice exams? If so do you recommend a particular company's?

http://edward-designer.com/web/list-of-free-pmp-exam-questions/

And be sure to know stakeholder communication and risk management backwards and forwards

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Anyone got any opinions on the entry-level LPIC exams?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm doing the Linux+ cert right now which is just a rebranded LPIC 103 and 104. Failed 103 the first time, passed the second attempt, and I'm now studying for 104.

It's very command heavy, maybe 75% of questions ask about a specific command and options. A lot of the questions will have three correct commands with one letter off options and you need to know off the top of your head which letter option is correct. So it can kind of be rough

The last 25% is design practices, like which directories should be on separate partitions, how bootloaders work, where configuration, library, and package databases are stored.

In all I've learned a great deal about how Linux works and I think LPIC deserves more credibility.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Alright, figured I'd put this here instead of the Cisco thread since I haven't actually taken my CCNA exam yet.

So I ran across a question while studying that has a "Cisco answer" and what could also be considered a right answer.

Which two features can dynamically assign IPv6 addresses? (Choose two.)
A. IPv6 stateless autoconfiguration
B. DHCP
C. NHRP
D. IPv6 stateful autoconfiguration
E. ISATAP tunneling

Now according to my CCNAx study guide there are three ways to assign IPv6 address
-Manual
-Stateless
-Stateful

Now manual is obvious (as is A for the first correct answer) but it's been B and D. The CCNAx study guide says the following

quote:

Autoconfiguration: Autoconfiguration enables “plug and play,” which connects devices to the network without any configuration and without any stateful servers (such as DHCP servers). Autoconfiguration is an important feature for enabling deployment of new devices on the Internet, such as cell phones, wireless devices, home appliances, networks, and so on. Autoconfiguration can be accomplished in two ways:
-Stateless autoconfiguration: Stateless autoconfiguration uses neighbor discovery mechanisms to find routers and dynamically create IPv6 addresses. To use this method for an IPv6 node, it is important to connect the IPv6 node to a network that uses at least one IPv6 router. The router transmits router advertisements to the link. These announcements can allow the on­link connected IPv6 nodes to configure themselves with an IPv6 address and routing parameters, as specified in RFC 2462, without further human intervention. A node on the link can automatically configure its global IPv6 address by appending its interface identifier (64 bits) to the prefix (64 bits) that is included in the router advertisement messages. Stateless autoconfiguration enables “plug and play,” which connects devices to the network without any configuration and without any stateful servers (such as DHCP servers). It is an important feature for enabling the deployment of new devices on the Internet, such as cell phones, wireless devices, home appliances, and networks.
-Stateful autoconfiguration: Stateful autoconfiguration uses a DHCPv6 server to assign IPv6 addresses and additional parameters to hosts. Stateful autoconfiguration keeps a record of which addresses are assigned to which hosts, while the stateless method maintains no such records.

Yet it contradicts itself by saying autoconfiguration doesn't use stateful servers! Granted this isn't the first time the CCNAx Student Guide has been wrong.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 20, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm doing the Linux+ cert right now which is just a rebranded LPIC 103 and 104. Failed 103 the first time, passed the second attempt, and I'm now studying for 104.

It's very command heavy, maybe 75% of questions ask about a specific command and options. A lot of the questions will have three correct commands with one letter off options and you need to know off the top of your head which letter option is correct. So it can kind of be rough

The last 25% is design practices, like which directories should be on separate partitions, how bootloaders work, where configuration, library, and package databases are stored.

In all I've learned a great deal about how Linux works and I think LPIC deserves more credibility.

Is this a multiple choice test?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

pr0digal posted:

Alright, figured I'd put this here instead of the Cisco thread since I haven't actually taken my CCNA exam yet.

So I ran across a question while studying that has a "Cisco answer" and what could also be considered a right answer.

B. DHCP
C. NHRP
E. ISATAP tunneling

Now according to my CCNAx study guide there are three ways to assign IPv6 address
-Manual
-Stateless
-Stateful

Now manual is obvious (as is A for the first correct answer) but it's been B and D. The CCNAx study guide says the following

Yet it contradicts itself by saying autoconfiguration doesn't use stateful servers! Granted this isn't the first time the CCNAx Student Guide has been wrong.

Well the description for stateless has the keyword "dynamically" si I'd go with that and DHCP but I do zero real world work with ipv6 so I could be wrong.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

pr0digal posted:

B. DHCP
C. NHRP
E. ISATAP tunneling

-Manual
-Stateless
-Stateful

From how I'm reading it, that first line is describing "Plug and Play" - not autoconfiguration.

Autoconfiguration can be done:
-Stateless with just a router
-Stateless with both a router and a stateless DHCPv6 server
-Stateful with both a router and stateful DHCPv6 server.

DHCPv6 servers can be stateless, where they provide extra network information like DNS servers, or stateful, where they handle the IPv6 addressing much like IPv4 DHCP servers. The DHCPv6 servers are a part of the autoconfiguration, not separate.

Also - keep in mind that DHCP is for IPv4, and DHCPv6 is for IPv6.

I crossed out the plug and play stuff, should make it more clear.

quote:

Autoconfiguration: Autoconfiguration enables “plug and play,” which connects devices to the network without any configuration and without any stateful servers (such as DHCP servers). Autoconfiguration is an important feature for enabling deployment of new devices on the Internet, such as cell phones, wireless devices, home appliances, networks, and so on. Autoconfiguration can be accomplished in two ways:

-Stateless autoconfiguration: Stateless autoconfiguration uses neighbor discovery mechanisms to find routers and dynamically create IPv6 addresses. To use this method for an IPv6 node, it is important to connect the IPv6 node to a network that uses at least one IPv6 router. The router transmits router advertisements to the link. These announcements can allow the on­link connected IPv6 nodes to configure themselves with an IPv6 address and routing parameters, as specified in RFC 2462, without further human intervention. A node on the link can automatically configure its global IPv6 address by appending its interface identifier (64 bits) to the prefix (64 bits) that is included in the router advertisement messages. Stateless autoconfiguration enables “plug and play,” which connects devices to the network without any configuration and without any stateful servers (such as DHCP servers). It is an important feature for enabling the deployment of new devices on the Internet, such as cell phones, wireless devices, home appliances, and networks.

-Stateful autoconfiguration: Stateful autoconfiguration uses a DHCPv6 server to assign IPv6 addresses and additional parameters to hosts. Stateful autoconfiguration keeps a record of which addresses are assigned to which hosts, while the stateless method maintains no such records.

e. Cleared up my rambling a bit

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 21, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

Is this a multiple choice test?

Two 60 question multiple choice tests with about 4 fill in the blank questions per test that ask for config file locations or environment variable names or common commands with no options.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Actuarial Fables posted:

From how I'm reading it, that first line is describing "Plug and Play" - not autoconfiguration.

Autoconfiguration can be done:
-Stateless with just a router
-Stateless with both a router and a stateless DHCPv6 server
-Stateful with both a router and stateful DHCPv6 server.

DHCPv6 servers can be stateless, where they provide extra network information like DNS servers, or stateful, where they handle the IPv6 addressing much like IPv4 DHCP servers. The DHCPv6 servers are a part of the autoconfiguration, not separate.

Also - keep in mind that DHCP is for IPv4, and DHCPv6 is for IPv6.

I crossed out the plug and play stuff, should make it more clear.

e. Cleared up my rambling a bit

That's what I was thinking (A and D) because every time Cisco mentions DHCP for IPv6 they denote it with the v6 at the end.

Appreciate the input. I'm pretty solid on IPv6 in general, it's just this one that's getting me

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

pr0digal posted:

B. DHCP
C. NHRP
E. ISATAP tunneling

-Manual
-Stateless
-Stateful

This is mostly a vocabulary question. Everything in that list except for "IPv6 stateful autoconfiguration" is a very very specific concept. It seems like the question-writer wanted to test vocabulary without realizing that "IPv6 stateful autoconfiguration" would cause a collision with answer B due to "stateful autoconfiguration" being a general concept related to DHCPv6.

It's a poorly written question, but you kind of have to be on the lookout for that kind of stuff on these Cisco exams. Oftentimes things that look like general descriptive statements are actually best-understood as atomic compound words that refer to specific concepts.

It's kind of like there's a Cisco-approved vocabulary list, and that's what makes Odom's books seem very dry and hard to parse sometimes. It's also what makes the information in more readable study guides more difficult to apply to the actual test.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 21, 2016

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

ErIog posted:

This is mostly a vocabulary question. Everything in that list except for "IPv6 stateful autoconfiguration" is a very very specific concept. It seems like the question-writer wanted to test vocabulary without realizing that "IPv6 stateful autoconfiguration" would cause a collision with answer B due to "stateful autoconfiguration" being a general concept(not a specific concept) related to DHCPv6.

It's a poorly written question, but you kind of have to be on the lookout for that kind of stuff on these Cisco exams. Oftentimes things that look like general descriptive statements are actually best-understood as atomic compound words that refer to specific concepts.

It's kind of like there's a Cisco-approved vocabulary list, and that's what makes Odom's books seem very dry and hard to parse sometimes. It's also what makes the information in more readable study guides more difficult to apply to the actual test.

That makes a ton of sense and pretty in line with what I know about Cisco tests.

I have Odom's books and overall they're not bad. I know Lammale is one of the better ones (I have his 200-120 book) but his book wasn't out when I was starting to prep for the exam.

Thanks!

*edit* Just took my exam and passed. Even though I felt like I had done a ton of studying it was still tough. Thankfully no badly written questions (that I could tell) but very heavy focus on IPv6 and security practices. Also two VLAN questions that were exactly the same which was interesting...

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 22, 2016

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Hi thread, I'm a 3rd year CS student who has major doubts about his employability prospects and was wondering if studying for some IT certs alongside my normal classes would be worth it as a backup\to round out my skillset? It may be a little too late to shift my degree track but I want some options.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Hi thread, I'm a 3rd year CS student who has major doubts about his employability prospects and was wondering if studying for some IT certs alongside my normal classes would be worth it as a backup\to round out my skillset? It may be a little too late to shift my degree track but I want some options.

What do you want to do? CS is typically a programming track, is that what you want to do?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
A CS degree is the best cert you can get.

Linux administration certs might be a leg up for a dev ops role.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

What do you want to do? CS is typically a programming track, is that what you want to do?

I'm not dead set on anything just yet. My interests are in the .net stack, SQL and visual studio. Honestly I'd be happy with just a boring 9-5 working on CRUD applications that most people seem to loathe.

Fake edit: Ah yes, programming is definitely what I want to do, I'm just interested in some safeguards in case that doesn't pan out. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't do exactly what I want, my top priority is to be employable and not starve in a gutter.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I'm not dead set on anything just yet. My interests are in the .net stack, SQL and visual studio. Honestly I'd be happy with just a boring 9-5 working on CRUD applications that most people seem to loathe.

Fake edit: Ah yes, programming is definitely what I want to do, I'm just interested in some safeguards in case that doesn't pan out. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't do exactly what I want, my top priority is to be employable and not starve in a gutter.

Good programmers are always in demand, I'm unsure about the entry level, but I woudl guess if you graduate with CS, you can find an entry level job no problem, where are you located?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

Good programmers are always in demand, I'm unsure about the entry level, but I woudl guess if you graduate with CS, you can find an entry level job no problem, where are you located?

Oklahoma City, not exactly the shining beacon of tech jobs.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Well then move somewhere that needs programmers. Companies are desperate for them across most industries. You'll get paid relatively well straight out of college. Put a repo together with some work and it's a slam dunk.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

milk milk lemonade posted:

Well then move somewhere that needs programmers. Companies are desperate for them across most industries. You'll get paid relatively well straight out of college. Put a repo together with some work and it's a slam dunk.

I probably will. It's still nice to have options in case I can't cut it as a developer.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Oklahoma City, not exactly the shining beacon of tech jobs.

https://jobs.dell.com/location/united-states-oklahoma-oklahoma-city-jobs/375/6252001-4544379-4544356-4544349/4

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Where does one what has absolutely NO knowledge of programming even start? SDNs are gonna be a thing, so I am thinking I should learn something related to that, where to go? Python?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

Where does one what has absolutely NO knowledge of programming even start? SDNs are gonna be a thing, so I am thinking I should learn something related to that, where to go? Python?

The whole industry is headed that direction. You don't need to be a developer but you better have a clue with code.

Python is good. PowerShell and .Net are good.

There's a ton of resources around. Just dive in. You'll feel lost until one day you still feel lost but know how to approach a specific problem at least

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MrBigglesworth posted:

I started recently with automatetheboringstuff.com on adive of this thread. It's pretty good, I'm now looking into the University of Michigan course on coursera.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Walked posted:

The whole industry is headed that direction. You don't need to be a developer but you better have a clue with code.

Python is good. PowerShell and .Net are good.

There's a ton of resources around. Just dive in. You'll feel lost until one day you still feel lost but know how to approach a specific problem at least

gently caress PowerShell in the rear end. Goddamn I hated that, that or it was the lovely rear end materials that was printed by Microsoft. Here, type this paragraph worth of stuff, dont worry about the typos in this set of commands that we printed, or know where to put a space or line break or something. Go Nuts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Powershell is pretty good, you should give it another shot.