Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Cage and Texano are having a Best of Five series to determine who gets to become a vessel for a ancient Aztec god.

Lucha Underground owns so hard.

Mortal Kombat did the same storyline once, only Cage and Texano are way more interesting than Li Mei.

Which reminds me, Chikara needs to book Glacier vs. Pentagon one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Gavok posted:

Mortal Kombat did the same storyline once, only Cage and Texano are way more interesting than Li Mei.

Which reminds me, Chikara needs to book Glacier vs. Pentagon one of these days.

Or just book Pentagon in general. Then again, Pentagon can probably get pretty salty with his language, even in Spanish.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

frankenfreak posted:

My money is on Texano. Cage being Cage is good while Texano being Texano is very, very meh.

On the other hand, Dark God Machine Man Cage moves him from midcard to main event pretty swiftly. :getin:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It seems like the Houston live show went well today. At the very least, they had a packed house and were smart enough to do it indoors this time.

Also:
https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/792652122559025152
Interesting turn of a phrase there, Cody

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
So I found out that Verizon FiOS now carries El Rey!

...on the Preferred (basic) tier and on the Ultimate (premium) tier. NOT on the Extreme (middle) tier, which is what I have.

:negative:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

delfin posted:

So I found out that Verizon FiOS now carries El Rey!

...on the Preferred (basic) tier and on the Ultimate (premium) tier. NOT on the Extreme (middle) tier, which is what I have.

:negative:

That's messed up! You'd think the middle tier would have everything the basic tier does

If you ever thought the nunchucks they use were like soft foam:

https://twitter.com/TheTayaValkyrie/status/792872129024831492

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
so uh, what's goin' on with Fenix?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Capsaicin posted:

so uh, what's goin' on with Fenix?

Complicated. You can read a recap of his recent interview here: http://www.luchaworld.com/?p=70419

There's a lot of details but it boils down to AAA loving him over. AAA apparently got pissed at him for moving out of Mexico and not telling them, even though other AAA people like Taya have moved out of Mexico too. So they screwed him. There's a lot of little details, like they apparently promoted him being at Triplemania and then when he called to ask about what he was doing and where his plane ticket was, they didn't actually have him come, and everyone thought it was his choice to no-show it. They've also reportedly been trying to get him blackballed in Mexico from working other promotions, so he's done with them and he's been working US indies as Rey Fenix. He also was super unhappy with AAA and wanting to quit there anyway, especially since he's now realizing from working US indies that AAA kind of treated him like poo poo, and he can make very good money here, comparatively. They're also claiming they own the Fenix name and are trying to stop him from using it. This is all coming from him, and AAA won't comment on it so we don't know their side of the story, but I don't really doubt Fenix.

What this means for him and LU is unclear. He's apparently not mad at LU, at all. He said in the interview that Lucha Underground is the best thing that ever happened to his career and one of the projects he loves the most and he would be very sad if he had to leave, but on the flip side he can't continue there if it means he has to go back into "enslavement" by AAA. He said he has had talks with them and is hoping to be meeting with the LU people soon.

Other people have split from AAA and still work LU -- Sexy Star for one, and Jack Evans got fired by AAA but still worked the recent LU live show. Fenix was promoted as being on this live show tour but he's also injured right now, he messed up his shoulder, so it doesn't mean much that he hasn't been at those live events because he wouldn't have been able to work them either way.

No one knows how much sway the AAA people actually have with LU on this kind of thing. They don't seem to have (or want) any creative control, but they are large investors money-wise and the story was that they previously tried to use LU contracts to force people into staying in AAA, but those may have been idle threats considering Sexy Star. But they may not have cared enough to put their foot down about her. If they are really bitter about Fenix and it comes to a head about him, who knows. If they're really going to pull a "you want to keep our money, he's out" move, I think it would be hard for LU to keep him even if they fought it as hard as they could. The question is if AAA is really going to put their foot down about it, or if LU is just a weird black sheep side-project to them and they only really want to exert control in Mexico.

The other wrinkle here is obviously the relationship with Pentagon. He's still in AAA but if he decides to leave there, either out of solidarity with Fenix or just because things are kind of going to poo poo...well, Fenix is important and well-liked, but Pentagon is pretty critical in terms of popularity. I'm sure the show would go on, but it would be a huge blow if he bailed too, and that might be where LU would really have to push back all the way.

Interesting times. It seems like Season 4 is set to start taping in January. That was always the rumor, dating back even to what I heard during the Ultima Lucha 3 tapings. The Cricket Wireless competition that is sending people to a LU taping mentions it would be around January 31, so that seems like further confirmation even if there hasn't been a real greenlight announcement yet. So I assume it's going to get resolved with him one way or another pretty drat soon.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also Jack Evans just got fired from AAA, so who knows what role (if any) he'll have in Season 4 (if they get that far).

AAA is a total shitshow right now.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Lineup for the San Diego show:
https://twitter.com/LuchaElRey/status/793529244143919104

Cuerno!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is Angelico back this season or was he out for all of the tapings?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sticklefifer posted:

Is Angelico back this season or was he out for all of the tapings?

He's back at some point and then he righteously hosed up his elbow at some other show and was out for the rest of the season after that. Or maybe he comes back again near the end? I don't remember if he's done for the whole season or not after the second injury but it put him out for a long time. It was a dislocation plus fracture if I remember right.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

He's back at some point and then he righteously hosed up his elbow at some other show and was out for the rest of the season after that. Or maybe he comes back again near the end? I don't remember if he's done for the whole season or not after the second injury but it put him out for a long time. It was a dislocation plus fracture if I remember right.

I was at the taping where he got injured it was pretty gnarly

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Would they even bother airing Angelico's matches if he just immediately gets injured again? That scene with the WWU beatdown felt like a season write-off they filmed after the fact.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Would they even bother airing Angelico's matches if he just immediately gets injured again? That scene with the WWU beatdown felt like a season write-off they filmed after the fact.

That's a good question. I could also see them just changing the airing order so his matches are all toward the end of the season or something, if any long term story implications could be worked around.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

So is Cuerno back with LU? He was out for 3rd season, right?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lord Hypnostache posted:

So is Cuerno back with LU? He was out for 3rd season, right?

He wasn't officially "out" but he went sideways with AAA on some contract stuff (he reportedly wanted to do the WWE Cruiserweight thing and they said no), and probably more importantly he had a couple of surgeries done that put him out of action. Minor spoiler: he does come back near the end of S3

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
LAST WEEK:
Ivelisse lost to Marty the Moth and her boyfriend Jeremiah aka Sami Callahan ran in to save her from a post match beatdown and then she had to save him instead. He wants to compete in the Temple now because he likes the fighting
Dario has a god in an item in a box, and either Cage or Texano are going to win it. Texano won that week's match, so score in the best of five is Cage 2 - Texano 1
Sexy Star lost the Gift of the Gods to Johnny Mundo after an outrageous amount of cheating by Worldwide Underground
Vampiro wants Puma to put Mil Muertes in a casket
The "something about a white rabbit" was revealed to be, at least in part, Paul London
Rey approached Dario and requested Chavo Jr for a Loser Leaves Lucha match

TONIGHT (as promoted on twitter)
Dario spins the ol' Dial of Doom one more time and Matanza gets another title defense
Son of Havoc faces off against Dr Wagner Jr.
Rey v. Chavo, LOSER LEAVES LUCHA

Lucha, shall we?*

*probably no one is going to watch this live because of World Series Game 7 and all

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 3, 2016

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand
Well that was a timewaster

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I uh...would probably have quit way before my cast got broken.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I think that's the first time we've seen Matanza do his psycho crusher

And thus, the thread title

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i've been tuning into el ray in between world series commercials...and uh, i think el rey is having split screen issues

eljackass
May 19, 2004

I like how he tried to use the cast as a weapon though

And also how he used his "broken" arm to bounce off the ropes and also hang onto Matanza while he was being picked up :)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i've been tuning into el ray in between world series commercials...and uh, i think el rey is having split screen issues

yeah twice they've accidentally dropped a commercial in at random

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I wasn't sure if that was El Rey or Fubo but I was sure it was annoying!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Dario Cueto, giggling and wasted in his office has been a highlight of my TV watching week, so far.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Well, Grave Consequences may be Mil's specialty but he also never wins it

Mil's suit is pretty sweet

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Yeah it was on El Rey...too bad, i like those vignettes

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

StarkRavingMad posted:

Mil's suit is pretty sweet

Luchadors in suits is the greatest visual aesthetic ever

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Writer Cath posted:

Dario Cueto, giggling and wasted in his office has been a highlight of my TV watching week, so far.

https://twitter.com/LuchaElRey/status/793969711331479552

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Well, Grave Consequences may be Mil's specialty but he also never wins it
Well, kinda.

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Hahaha next week's gonna be awesome

edit: If I was there for Believer's Backlash II I woulda either brought one of those phony cinderblocks or a pail of stinky, rotten fish

eljackass fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 3, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Believer's Backlash Part II, the best gimmick

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sticklefifer posted:

Well, kinda.

Mil's gimmick is that he loses Grave Consequences matches, comes back powered up and destroys the other guy in a Death Match.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

eljackass posted:

Hahaha next week's gonna be awesome

I like that even this midcard mostly-comedy story with Famous B and Mascarita Sagrada actually gets a big blowoff match

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
drat it El Rey, fix this split screen commercial poo poo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

StarkRavingMad posted:

drat it El Rey, fix this split screen commercial poo poo

My theory is that the guy in the control room is taking commercial breaks to rub one out and not coming back in time to switch over.

eljackass
May 19, 2004

This must be the main event? Only 3 matches tonight?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

eljackass posted:

This must be the main event? Only 3 matches tonight?

Yeah, given the stakes they gave this one plenty of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How many times have Rey and Chavo wrestled each other between their WCW/WWE days? It's easily in the triple digits, right?

• Locked thread