Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Revelations games thing seems to be borrowing and drawing from various literary works. Dante's Divine Comedy for Revelations 1 and Kafka's Metamorphosis for Revelations 2. They're still dumb games but I think their inspirations are a tad more high brow than Dan Brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'll give up on the chronological playthrough.

I remembered someone doing an awesome LP of RE6 but couldn't find them because they changed their av, turns out it was Lunethex. A bit of digging helped me find the rest of what I was looking for. So if anyone else is looking for the same kind of info, just dig up Lunethex's posts in this thread, real goldmine. :)

edit: link to the LP in question : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

This LP almost feels like false advertising, since he makes the game look like so much fun. Every time I try picking it up, it just feels awkward and bad. It really seems like it can only shine if you know exactly how the quirks work.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

It's a good game, but I know what you mean. Thankfully it becomes nowhere near as hectic as RE6 or even RE5 so the stiffness doesn't become too much of an issue, although one boss in particular had me literally chewing my loving controller up on Infernal. I still haven't passed that fight on that difficulty; I can't use that loving evade manouevre for poo poo :negative:

I'm not sure if you were intentionally trying to avoid spoiling any bosses, so I'll ask in a tag - Was it that loving monster that chases you up the elevator and you have to fight in the observation area? That thing was a FUCKER on Infernal.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Geight posted:

I'm not sure if you were intentionally trying to avoid spoiling any bosses, so I'll ask in a tag - Was it that loving monster that chases you up the elevator and you have to fight in the observation area? That thing was a FUCKER on Infernal.
That's the one, yes. It's doing my loving head in now; everything I throw at it just gets shrugged off like nothing. Absolutely loving horrible.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I fought that guy yesterday on Normal. I died twice but then was able to take him down. I'd imagine you'd have to really get the Dodging mechanic down to do well on the harder difficulty.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Revelations games thing seems to be borrowing and drawing from various literary works. Dante's Divine Comedy for Revelations 1 and Kafka's Metamorphosis for Revelations 2. They're still dumb games but I think their inspirations are a tad more high brow than Dan Brown.
That's why it stood out as unusual to me, but it's hard to argue with the release dates that Wanderer pointed out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rev1 bosses are enormous bullet sponges, and i don't really like any of them

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

That's the one, yes. It's doing my loving head in now; everything I throw at it just gets shrugged off like nothing. Absolutely loving horrible.

As I recall you basically have to run away from it, wait until it starts charging, and then run sideways instead of trying the dodge. As long as you've got a fair distance between you and it you'll run faster then it can angle toward you and as soon as it passes it'll stop for a bit and you can shoot the weak points.

But yeah, that boss is poo poo.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Since one of the October games of the month for PS+ subscribers was the PS4 remaster, I've been on kind of a Resident Evil kick lately. Despite not having played any of them past Nemesis and Code Veronica, I consider myself a fan of the series. I want to rectify my lack of experience with later titles.

The PS4 remaster and the Steam remaster of Resident Evil 4 are both on sale right now, for $12 and $7 respectively. Is there a significant difference between them that would make one worth picking up more than the other?

Other than the price. If there's no difference I'll probably go with the PC version to save the 5 bucks, but I would kind of like to play it on my TV instead and if the PS4 version is better then I can justify doing that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If I remember correctly, my biggest issue with the console version was that I couldn't aim with the right stick, it had to be the left one and there was no way to change it.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Backup Oboe posted:

Since one of the October games of the month for PS+ subscribers was the PS4 remaster, I've been on kind of a Resident Evil kick lately. Despite not having played any of them past Nemesis and Code Veronica, I consider myself a fan of the series. I want to rectify my lack of experience with later titles.

The PS4 remaster and the Steam remaster of Resident Evil 4 are both on sale right now, for $12 and $7 respectively. Is there a significant difference between them that would make one worth picking up more than the other?

Other than the price. If there's no difference I'll probably go with the PC version to save the 5 bucks, but I would kind of like to play it on my TV instead and if the PS4 version is better then I can justify doing that.
a lot of graphics haven't aged well and this crazy guy is doing some pretty amazing poo poo to redo the graphics from whole cloth, including tracking down principal photography sources from textures in the game to recreate them in high resolution. especially considering the pc version is currently cheaper i don't see why you would grab the ps4 version but ymmv

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If I remember correctly, my biggest issue with the console version was that I couldn't aim with the right stick, it had to be the left one and there was no way to change it.

You can aim with the right stick in the PS4 version.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Momomo posted:

This LP almost feels like false advertising, since he makes the game look like so much fun. Every time I try picking it up, it just feels awkward and bad. It really seems like it can only shine if you know exactly how the quirks work.

that's more or less accurate. once it clicks it's amazing but before that point i don't think it's uncommon to be left feeling like everything is too loose alongside believing none of the system mechanics make any sense.

stuff like this is done by having that knowledge so you can react properly to do cool stuff- without it you just end up getting hit or flailing about tryin' to dodge

http://i.imgur.com/9gQJVQT.mp4
http://i.imgur.com/9BbFAKS.mp4

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 28, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fereydun posted:

that's more or less accurate. once it clicks it's amazing but before that point i don't think it's uncommon to be left feeling like everything is too loose alongside believing none of the system mechanics make any sense.

http://i.imgur.com/9gQJVQT.mp4

Speaking for myself RE6 only clicked in this manner when I played it on the PC. Could be just because most of the shooter games I've played have been on PC but the controls on PS3 always felt really awkward but then I played it on a keyboard and everything felt like it was where it was supposed to. On a controller it was like I had to force myself to remember how the hell you do anything other than aim and shoot, whether that was sliding or just using the inventory.

Also after the slide that's just using quick shot a bunch and that will make anyone look good in a 5 second clip :colbert:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sakurazuka posted:

You can aim with the right stick in the PS4 version.

Come to think of it I was playing the PS3 version. Or perhaps misremembering entirely.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

VERY COOL MAN posted:

a lot of graphics haven't aged well and this crazy guy is doing some pretty amazing poo poo to redo the graphics from whole cloth, including tracking down principal photography sources from textures in the game to recreate them in high resolution. especially considering the pc version is currently cheaper i don't see why you would grab the ps4 version but ymmv

Wow, that's loving insane. Sold. Thanks!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Speaking for myself RE6 only clicked in this manner when I played it on the PC. Could be just because most of the shooter games I've played have been on PC but the controls on PS3 always felt really awkward but then I played it on a keyboard and everything felt like it was where it was supposed to. On a controller it was like I had to force myself to remember how the hell you do anything other than aim and shoot, whether that was sliding or just using the inventory.

Also after the slide that's just using quick shot a bunch and that will make anyone look good in a 5 second clip :colbert:

oh yeah this is also true of me even though i've never even thought of it before, haha. just mapping sprint/slide to shift did wonders for me

and hey, the quick shot killing a buncha spider guys in one hit because i knew they were chasing me/about to pounce is very cool okay!!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

VERY COOL MAN posted:

I've always assumed game texturing was more involved than just "find something in real life that looks right, take picture, clean up in photoshop," but I guess I was wrong.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
4-6 with their respective DLC are 30 bucks roughly on steam atm and I stumbled across an Unspent Gamestop card I could probably trade in for some steam bucks. Happy Halloween! :getin:

edit: anyone use the steam Controller with these games? does it work nicely with it?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Does Sherry have a loadout that gives her the wing shooters or is this some shenanigans?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RE6 owns.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I may need to give 6 another try.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
He modded those weapons in.

...In much the same way I gave everyone in the LP Jake's melee and Ada's crossbow in the campaign for a bit :getin:

Chris doing flips :swoon:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 29, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Geight posted:

Does Sherry have a loadout that gives her the wing shooters or is this some shenanigans?
i just use the re6 trainer to give characters other character's loadouts. they retain their melee moves so it's a really nice way to mix stuff up.
the only one that i think doesn't work is jake's melee- the OTG giant swing doesn't work when used with other characters but that's it

Crappy Jack posted:

I may need to give 6 another try.
if re6 clicks then it's great but i can't push the issue because i wildly dislike the campaign and think the game does very little to teach or direct players on how to play the game.
it's definitely polarizing for good reason

here's some more random stuff recorded from however long back. it's been a bit since i've played re6.

the bird javo actually died from the slide here even though it's not shown. which is p-r-e-t-t-y cool
http://i.imgur.com/Tk84BRO.mp4
http://i.imgur.com/sprm6Rz.mp4

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 29, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Spent a good few hours on RE6 Mercs No Mercy earlier (with six players thanks to some host-side tomfoolery), and a few things happened which I've never seen before despite well over several dozen runs through each stage.

1) Requiem For War and I'm camping in one of the bombed-out buildings around the edge of the map, waiting for RPG guys to spawn so I can ruin their fun before they ruin ours (seems like a reasonable plan with so many players, right?), and Ogroman just waltzes on by. A little concerning since with six players someone else usually deals with Ogroman before he can even turn the first corner, but this time everyone else is fooling about underground, so I'm on my own up top (which is a very bad thing), and Ogroman just spins around and throws a loving truck at me while I'm looking down my rifle scope. He missed, but holy poo poo that was too loving close. Apparently this is a common event if you let him get all that way around the central building, and it's instant death if it hits you?

2) Creature Workshop (usually a breeze with only two players never mind this 6P nonsense). Never seen Ubistvo spawn here before; seen Napads, Bloodshots and various other hoo-hah rabble show up many times and never really took any notice, but this was the first time I've had Ubistvo join in the fun. So of course it's just as I jump down to a lower platform to get away from a bunch of ready-to-burst Telo-Eksplozija (an enemy which seems to hit me with those explosions more often that I would like to admit), and there's Ubistvo at the landing, swinging his bio-mechanical OHK poo poo around and screaming toward me at speed. Genuine loving scare, and yet another reason I'll only ever use Quickshot Damage Increase skill in Mercs.

3) Rail Yard, and Ubistvo just rolling on in unannounced again. Out of loving nowhere, he just starts rampaging down a stairway carving up a crowd of Strelats. Less of a scare this time though since I put him down with one quickshot before he could really get close enough to be dangerous. :unsmith:

Ogroman's truck-throwing moment I can understand never seeing before; I'm rarely up on the surface during that map so I probably wouldn't see it even if it did happen. But the other two, I have no idea what's going on. Side-effects of six player sorcery?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

High level RE6 play is so satisfying to watch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the highs are very high, the lows are very low and there is very little in between

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
All the best stuff is in Mercenaries. They did really good job on the control scheme

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finished Rev 1 today. Last boss was quite a bit harder than the most of the rest of the game...I had to use a rocket to take his last form out.

I liked the game overall. The episodic structure was weird for this kind of Resident Evil, since it was like alternating between something sort of resembling the classic games (The Zenobia stuff), and then everything else which felt more actiony a la RE4/5/6. Part of me thinks the game might have been stronger if it was just an expanded version of the stuff with Jill, but I didn't hate anything you did with the other characters either (The Parker sections with the last days of Terragrigia were kind of cool).

I think that for me Rev 1 kind of falls this weird gray zone where it plays better than I would expect a port of a 3DS Resident Evil to play (Even the swimming sections seemed decent), but not quite as good as its console brethren either- I'd make a comparison to something like the HD port of MGS Peace Walker. While the game was flawed I liked it enough to the point where I'll probably play it again in the future. In the meantime I'll soon be moving on to Rev 2.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

To be honest, I really liked the cast of Revelations 1 to the point that I wouldn't mind seeing Parker in another game in the future. Maybe in Revelations 3. They need to give Chris and Leon a break already, though RE7 having an all new protagonist is cool too.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be fine with the mainline RE continuing to try to re-invent the wheel with every game while Revelations provides a more traditional experience.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Resident Evil always trying to re-invent itself is something I really like about this franchise. You get your winners (RE4), your losers (Survivor), and your in-betweens (Outbreak) but drat it RE always manages to stay interesting. I'm definitely down to try RE7 when it drops, can't wait to get scared and nauseous on PSVR!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
just cashed in my gift card and got 4-6. I've played 4 so much i plan on doing that one later so that leaves playing 5 or 6... all this 6 talk is making me want to play it again to see personally how it aged but I had better memories of 5 despite it's... obvious problems... Dunno what to do.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2s2fYR9q7o

loving piers

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Now you've done it. Now I have to rewatch them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTFEbZwwMMo

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Renoistic posted:

Now you've done it. Now I have to rewatch them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTFEbZwwMMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rNXQKbDyI0

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I try not to double post but this is also really good.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Steam controller works in 6 but i just don't feel that accurate aiming with it. still it wasn't as terrible as i remember it though so thats a plus :shrug:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

To be honest, I really liked the cast of Revelations 1 to the point that I wouldn't mind seeing Parker in another game in the future. Maybe in Revelations 3. They need to give Chris and Leon a break already, though RE7 having an all new protagonist is cool too.
i feel the same way. i really just want a bsaa-centric game because i think they're the most interesting part of the re universe by far
also, parker is in the current re manga

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wait what is this manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Fereydun posted:

i feel the same way. i really just want a bsaa-centric game because i think they're the most interesting part of the re universe by far
also, parker is in the current re manga

I can only assume the next panel is Parker promising to buy God dinner sometime.