Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Cancelling my Battlefield 1 preorder and buying this instead is probably one of the smartest gaming decisions I've made in a long time.

bump this thread every day you dont buy a game by ea, activision, or ubisoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm gearing up to go back through the first 3 chapters to get the speed achievements. After that I'll work on the other challenges.

I have to say, Chapter 4 is really excellent, and I would have loved another one on that level or even a bit harder. Maybe if the world was rejiggered to rebuild Garinham and the trashed desert city in the original game.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
well i got really drunk and bought this lol

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Seems like you make good choices when drunk, friend.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Bildrick my son

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chapter 3 review:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
is this game really good ? i love dragon quest but im really not interested in minecraft,

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished the game and all the challenges, all that's left is to finish my giant nerd mansion that nobody will ever see in terra

really good game overall, only real complaint is that i want more of it. there's a couple sequel hints there though

only disappointment is the Hero fight just being a Robbin Hood with hero weapons, though I guess seeing the Hero of Legend reduced to a crazy naked man in an evil prison was pretty neat

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

is this game really good ? i love dragon quest but im really not interested in minecraft,

minecraft is a game where you punch blocks to get better blocks

dragon quest builders is a game where you build a totally sweet mad max battle bike and smash it into a lava golem

It's worth a shot, I don't like minecraft either but I had a great time. It's a lot more focused and has clear goals that each chapter takes you through step-by-step via villager requests.

also each chapter uses pretty different materials/crafting methods which helps keep things fresh

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Yinlock posted:

minecraft is a game where you punch blocks to get better blocks

dragon quest builders is a game where you build a totally sweet mad max battle bike and smash it into a lava golem

It's worth a shot, I don't like minecraft either but I had a great time. It's a lot more focused and has clear goals that each chapter takes you through step-by-step via villager requests.

also each chapter uses pretty different materials/crafting methods which helps keep things fresh

this makes it sound sort of like rocket slime lol

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

this makes it sound sort of like rocket slime lol

well when i hit the chapter 3 boss and a giant mario-kart battle track appeared around my town with angry elemental golems appearing on it and throwing poo poo at me I just had the biggest smile the entire time

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

this game loving owns and as with all the other DQ games the translation is really good

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

and that's everything done, Nerdfort is also complete :toot:

(the giant windows are for a greenhouse)

of course shortly after finishing i turn around and am instantly deflated by some rear end in a top hat having built a rad castle

gently caress you too buddy

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 18, 2016

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

wow this game looks good. between this and the dq7 remake dragon quest has been killing it lately

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Lord, please bring us Dragon Quest XI, and Dragon Quest Heroes 2, and Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3, and Rocket Slime 3DS, and Dragon Quest Builders 2. Amen.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also my dumb townforts at the end of each chapter, except the last one since everything about it is a giant spoiler

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

just played for about 4 hours. this game is fun and i didnt like minecraft at all realy

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

This is a real good game, the writing is superb and there's always a million things to do. I just got my second teleportal.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

This is a real good game, the writing is superb and there's always a million things to do. I just got my second teleportal.

I'm around the same point. I was worried the fact it has chapters would hurt the exploration aspect but the world of each chapter seems to be pretty drat big,

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm around the same point. I was worried the fact it has chapters would hurt the exploration aspect but the world of each chapter seems to be pretty drat big,

each chapter has sidequests/caves everywhere, so exploring is always a good plan

there's enough time for a good deal of loving around even if you're going for the X amount of days challenges too, the only kinda hard one is chapter 2 and that's because a lot of it's mechanics involve waiting a day. Just never sleep and you'll be fine as long as you can get a basic dirt wall up to stall those drat ghosts.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

i'm on chapter 2 and hooooly poo poo things got a lot more intense/stressful, this owns

Mokinokaro posted:

each chapter feels like a self-contained game which is pretty cool

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

that makes me happy/excited. i'm absolutely loving this game

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think i might pick this up in a month or so. i'm still playing a lot of mario maker, and i like to have one major game going at a time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

saw this and was kinda tempted to pick it up, good to see other ppl have good reviews of it!!!!!!!!!!

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

saw this and was kinda tempted to pick it up, good to see other ppl have good reviews of it!!!!!!!!!!

get it

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Just ordered this. Dragon Quest games on the quad look so good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Just ordered this. Dragon Quest games on the quad look so good.

DQXI is gonna be incredible

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

got it

given how much building there is in this game I wonder if I should learn architecture with a Minecraft bent or something. all I make is boxes :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

also is there a point to making rooms taller than 2 blocks or should I not bother making my forge a basement of sorts?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
This poo poo better come out on the Nintendo Switch

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

also is there a point to making rooms taller than 2 blocks or should I not bother making my forge a basement of sorts?
you really only need two-block high rooms but in the later chapters you end up with so many different rooms to make that inevitably you need a second story on your base

also dont bother with roofs they just make moving around really loving awkward because of the bad indoor camera

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cat Machine posted:

you really only need two-block high rooms but in the later chapters you end up with so many different rooms to make that inevitably you need a second story on your base

also dont bother with roofs they just make moving around really loving awkward because of the bad indoor camera

yeahhh I'm realizing a bit too late that I shouldn't have tried to have a fancy 3d city as my first fort place. the fact that you have so little working space for your base means that everything is cramped as gently caress and if you need a two-story thing eventually that's gonna be annoying as gently caress given the way the camera works. top-view Minecraft is cute and all, but the camera kinda sucks.

the base building could be better, honestly. I gotta knock down one of my walls to build this stupid stockade now and it's pretty annoying. also my base is surrounded by stone on all sides with some torches and doors and a larger, organically grown common area in between the rooms yet I don't get points for putting stuff in it, what the gently caress?

I might actually take the Kowloon Walled City approach in the future cuz jesus

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Lord, please bring us Dragon Quest XI, and Dragon Quest Heroes 2, and Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3, and Rocket Slime 3DS, and Dragon Quest Builders 2. Amen.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/24/square-enix-committed-to-bringing-more-dragon-quest-titles-to-the-west

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2BXeZCDTgA

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

wait a minute I need to grind up golems to get enough golemite to get a set of 5~6 Cantlin shields? the enemies where only one spawns once per day in the desert? and I need three of their drops to build one shield? christ no

e: solution is to wrap your city in a 3block high wall of obsidian. yay

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 26, 2016

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
You only need one shield and a positive attitude

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

note to self: don't attempt large scale remodeling of base :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it's ultimately better to not try and maximize space and instead just surround the area with wall and treat rooms as individual houses of sorts. trying to remodel always goes badly cause it's hard and is always worse than before

also brick is a piss poor defensive choice and you should use stone instead. I still have not learned this :( I wish this game had a more convenient base building mechanic...some larger-scale design tools would own

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Good game this, might even be my GOATSE of the year. It's pretty much the Minecraft I actually always wanted since it gives you missions and goals.
Here's my first town:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDfodY8L2MM

Just started the second level and everything looks like crap. This is gonna suck, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, is Dragon Quest Warriors any good? I hate typical JRPGs with a passion but liked Hyrule Warriors good enough.

E: Pollyanna: Look forward to the first boss. :q:

• Locked thread