Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Xenomrph posted:

Tomorrow evening a couple friends and I will be doing a simultaneous Twitch stream of the three of us playing the Outlast 2 demo for the first time. My friends don't play many horror games so I'm looking forward to them freaking the gently caress out, because I'm an rear end in a top hat. :v:
My stream will be at https://www.twitch.tv/xenomrph and the fun begins tomorrow at 8PM Mountain (10PM Eastern).
it's only 20 minutes long, and that's if you're slow. i hope you made other plans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

It's probably been mentioned before but supergreatfriend's ongoing quest to 100% NightCry is truly amazing https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB2baJGGsUWsvX5LNHkVZxLR

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I'm extremely behind on Steam and game pricing, don't quite know where else to ask: is $14.99 ($17.99 with the soundtrack) a good deal for Darkest Dungeon? I've watched the game streamed, love the art and sound design, and am fond of roguelikes even when permadeath is possible.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I'm extremely behind on Steam and game pricing, don't quite know where else to ask: is $14.99 ($17.99 with the soundtrack) a good deal for Darkest Dungeon? I've watched the game streamed, love the art and sound design, and am fond of roguelikes even when permadeath is possible.

That's the price I bought it at originally, and I can certainly say I thought it was pretty worth it. So long as you go in with the expectation that this isn't a roguelike you can pour several hours into at a time. It's honestly very stressful to play, though that's sort of the point in a way. My fiance who hates roguelikes even enjoyed playing it for a session, which to me says a lot about its mechanics' approachability. I've yet to beat it to this day, but it drips with so much good art and atmosphere and is easy enough to pick up for small sessions that I have to come back to it every once in a while to make some more slow progress on my Hamlet. It's good, just pace yourself with it.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Rely on Horror is doing a charity stream marathon of all the Silent Hill Games this weekend. I was invited to guest but I'm just too drat socially worn-out to do any marathony streams right now.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

So I beat 90% of Until Dawn in one night. Here's some more videos of my playthrough, the last chunk will be coming over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5oPGEGGfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1q2VEG-wUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDfeCTinSA8

My thoughts at this point:

#TeamEmily - she's the best (and also the worst (but mostly the best))

The dialogue gets so corny but I don't lose my love of it for a second. It's so much like a 80s/90s horror movie.

This game basically seems to be appealing perfectly to my taste. I love "walking simulators" and was even a fan of David Cage games up until the point where they each predictably turned to garbage. If there's a true sequel coming for this game I can't wait for it.

I loved Until Dawn so much. It's one of the few games that has the "Your choices matter" gimmick where that's kinda true. I watched Harshly Criticals play through after I finished mine and the story played out much differently in a bunch of ways to how mine did. I appreciate that freedom the game gives in how much you can actually shape the interactions with the characters.

When I started, I played it with an Italian Giallo in mind so little moments, like hitting the bird with the snowball was a neat little moment that felt perfectly in line with the idea I had. It's pretty cool to see the Jock character is capable of not being a gigantic dickbag, because that's how I played him and I hated him with a passion.

I really want an Until Dawn 2. Doesn't need to follow the previous story at all, and if they wanted to keep with the "everything happens at night" from the original I think a UD vampire story could be pretty cool.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I agree that a new until dawn game definitely needs to be a totally new story. I would love to see more (ending spoilers) folklore-based monsters, and a new set of kids.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

It's an excellent 20 hour game stretched out into a 30-40 hour game. I think it's worth it and then some, but I'll lay out my problems too.

The main problem comes when you hit the endgame dungeons, where every upgrade is vital and insanely expensive, and every dungeon run becomes brutally unforgiving. It takes too drat long to grind up enough characters to beat the game, and losing a hero at that point (and you will probably will lose a few) makes it worse.

That said, the actual dungeoneering is a fun risk/reward game (your supplies and treasure both take up the same limited inventory space), the difficulty of the fights makes it tense when combined with the permadeath, and the narrator makes what would otherwise be a pretty basic combat system immersive. Nothing beats barely eking out a win against some giant monstrosity, and as you lay the desperate final blow getting the line "ghoulish horrors, brought low and driven into the mud!" Narrator dude really helps you feel the triumphs and failures.

tl;dr It's overlong and can get a bit tedious, but worth it imo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone tried Hard West http://store.steampowered.com/app/307670/ I like me some weird west and turn based strategies but I've never heard of it until just now.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Len posted:

Has anyone tried Hard West http://store.steampowered.com/app/307670/ I like me some weird west and turn based strategies but I've never heard of it until just now.

I reviewed it awhile back. Great setting, great concepts, but for me the gameplay just doesn't work out.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Apologies for the delay, thread... we can finally get back to talking about dicks.

1. DISTRAINT
2. Shadowgate
3. Miasmata
4. SOMA
5. Haunt the House: Terrortown
6. Oxenfree
7. Vlad the Impaler
8. Condemned: Criminal Origins
9. The Last Door: Season 2
10. Shadowgrounds
11. The Last NightMary
12. Kholat
13. Fran Bow
14. TRAUMA
15. Alan Wake
16. Dark Fall 1: The Journal
17. Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart
18. Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition
19. Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion
20. The Swapper
21. Monstrum
22. Serena
23. Cry of Fear
24. Black Mirror II
25. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
26. Anodyne
27. Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden
28. Noct

29. Outlast

Everyone has their limits with horror. Some draw the line at jump scares, others with excessive gore. Outlast is the kind of game that goes straight out looking for that line, and holds nothing back in pursuit of it. The way it goes about shocking you might not work for everyone, but for those it does it's one of the best.

You take on the role of Miles Upshur, the world's most unfortunate journalist, as he sniffs out a scoop at the remote Mount Massive Asylum. Armed with naught but his camcorder and his razor wit, he finds his way inside only to discover that the inmates are running the show. With escape cut off, survival means healthy portions of skulking through the shadows and hauling rear end down the blood-soaked halls. The adventure and story take all sorts of turns from this auspicious beginning, but rest assured you're going to be crawling over every inch of this wretched place.

If anything, I'm underselling just how awful the asylum is. Red Barrels went above and beyond the call to make Mount Massive a literal house of horrors, everything from flickering lights to fountains of viscera, from ransacked offices to moldering cells. Every room is grim, dingy, and feels like the least safe place on Earth. And indeed, you'll never know quite when you're safe, at least at first. Some of the misbegotten patients are quite benign, but others are out for your blood. More than that, just about anything could be waiting around the next corner to mutilate you. Much of the asylum is pitch black, leaving you to grub around in the dark using the night vision on your camera until something gets in your face.

This is the still-beating heart of Outlast's horror, the jump scares. Don't get outraged just yet, these aren't the screaming Poser models of the indie horror gutters. Like many modern FPSes, Outast models your character's body and takes great pleasure in manhandling it at regular intervals. You'll be thrown through windows, dragged through doors, tied to things, and so much more. The game is rife with these scripted scenes, often coming at the least opportune times to make you jump and curse.

The rest of the horror lies in the atmosphere and the enemies. Like I said, the asylum is a palpably terrible place to be thanks to superb audio and visual details. You're going to feel gross and uncomfortable the whole way through, which adds immeasurably to the shocks and threats when they arise. As for the enemies, well, they provide the necessary threat of death, but are probably the weakest part of the formula. It won't take long for your foes to become predictable, not only in their patterns but in their appearances. Once you get used to racing past them or losing pursuit, they'll be more like padding than actual threats.

This is really the crux of what Outlast is, and what will determine if you love it or hate it. It's very much a haunted house ride, moreso even than other guided horror games like SOMA or Condemned. Your path through the asylum always follows the same track, has the same spooks and shocks in the same places, and threatens you in the same ways. There are notes, of course, files to pick up and memos recorded by having your camera up at key points. But these are all on the main path, or a single room or hallway off from it. While I wouldn't say the experience becomes boring or repetitive, I definitely felt more comfortable with it in the last hour than I did the first.

Don't take that as a dismissal of what Red Barrels has accomplished here, though. Outlast is one of the most aggressively unsettling and brutal horror games out there, and as long as you let yourself be drawn in it's a hell of a ride. Terrible things are going to happen, accompanied by sharp graphics and a phenomenal orchestral soundtrack. The story goes crazier than I expected but ended in a good place that should entertain just about everyone. It's not the smartest or the scariest horror game out there, but it works hard to shock and does a drat fine job of it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

My impulse answer is "hell yes", I love the game and it's been the best Kickstarter thing I've backed by far.

It definitely has a few caveats as already outlined though. They updated fairly recently with an option to make it so that once you upgrade, you have a chance of recruiting higher level characters straight off the stagecoach, which cuts down the grind somewhat. It still really stings to spend a lot of time grooming up a batch of your favorite characters and then having them wiped out, but that comes with the territory in this sort of game.

If I had to start all over again (and I have a few times at this point, just fired up a new save and started from scratch), I'd just make one save slot and stick with it. The game doesn't really ever let you lose, so you can lose as many people as you want to the learning curve, and just keep raking in the upgrades and learning better tactics until you get to the point where you're ready to progress. It's definitely the kind of game you can burn out on, but what game isn't really.

Even though I still haven't come close to getting to the end, I keep coming back to it. It's at a sweet spot for me now where it's the perfect game to jump in and play a mission or two at a go, especially now that I don't have that much time lately.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
With the Halloween sale, is The Evil Within worth 10$? What about the DLC? I remember hearing kind of mediocre things about it when it came out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

TEW is worth at least ten dollars in my opinion. Haven't played DLC

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Outlast was an odd duck for me in that it was too *silly* to really be scary (usually). Like, the one bit with the Twins where you jump out of the window and they deadpan about how you're just too clever for them, darn it was crackup funny, but I wouldn't exactly call it an exercise in terror

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Relax Or DIE posted:

With the Halloween sale, is The Evil Within worth 10$? What about the DLC? I remember hearing kind of mediocre things about it when it came out.

It's like if RE4 had a ton of technical issues and an incomprehensible story and bad game design. It's probably okay at $10 but it's not great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can't suplex monsters so it's automatically worse than RE4

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Thanks for the input.

Sakurazuka posted:

You can't suplex monsters so it's automatically worse than RE4

This is true of most games, I agree

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Evil Within's story is perfectly comprehensible, just totally unsatisfying.

I'd like to say it's worth $10 but even that's kind of a stretch. I've described it before as one of those games that actively resists all of your attempts to have fun with it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If you're looking for something similar to RE4, RE: Revelations is a good game. It's inferior to 4 but its fun.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Thanks for the Darkest Dungeon recs, I'll be picking it up. Also thanks to the person that pointed out everything on special on Steam because I found out Eldritch is $1.49 this weekend (yet another "you're gonna die a lot and lose all your progress" game but I enjoy them done right).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

If you're looking for something similar to RE4, RE: Revelations is a good game. It's inferior to 4 but its fun.

On top of that, the multiplayer in Revelations is just fan-loving-tastic. Wonderful good fun

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is Dead by Daylight worth the sale price right now? I always thought the idea was great but now that there's the Halloween DLC I really want to run from Michael Myers, or kill with him.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

It's one of those games you'll either like or hate. It's very divisive. I myself wasn't too fond of it, it relied far too much on instant death trap bullshit for my liking that RE4 paced brilliantly but RE5, RE6 and TEW do all the goddamn time but I can see why others did like it. The DLC also has some really tense moments, including a boss fight which is basically a horror themed ripoff of the Mr. Freeze fight in Arkham City.

It's probably worth $10 at least, just be aware that the opening chapters are a bit like the beginning of RE4 while later chapters are all about crazy action and avoiding instant death bullshit.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Thinking of Until Dawn, I blasted Emily so fast and can't say I felt one bit bad afterwards, especially after seeing an LP later obviously going the other way.

It was one of those choices where as soon as I saw the option I knew what had to be done. :unsmigghh:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 30, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yardbomb posted:

Thinking of Until Dawn, I blasted Emily so fast and can't say I felt one bit bad afterwards, especially after seeing an LP later obviously going the other way.

It was one of those choices where as soon as I saw the option I knew what had to be done. :unsmigghh:

You monster.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Len posted:

You monster.

She survived entirely too long in my playthrough. I eventually purposefully failed a QTE to kill her. Then I found out she can have an even worse death if she'd survived.

I really hated Emily. The other two girls (besides Sam :3: )eventually grew on me but due to mishaps they also died horrible deaths.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yardbomb posted:

gently caress you bro, leave bae alone.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Len posted:

You monster.

Jmcrofts posted:

gently caress you bro, leave bae alone.

An abusive cheater gets smoked and not a thing redeemed her elsewhere when I watched other people either. :colbert:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 30, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:yikes:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

An abusive cheater gets smoked and not a thing redeemed her elsewhere when I watched other people either. :colbert:

Agreed. Emily was the bitchy character you want to see die horribly in the horror movie.

Poor Ashley didn't deserve to die due to me investigating something I shouldn't have :gonk:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

joylessdivision posted:

Agreed. Emily was the bitchy character you want to see die horribly in the horror movie.

Poor Ashley didn't deserve to die due to me investigating something I shouldn't have :gonk:

Yeah but nothing I had found indicated that could happen. That was a straight up bullshit horror movie death.

Emily wasn't that bad. Y'all are monsters for popping a woman who obviously has severe insecurities and at least on personality disorder in the face. And he'll just because she cheats doesn't mean she deserves getting blasted in the face. Again lemme say...

You monster.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm not gonna psychoanalyze why Emily is such a bitch, but she's a fictional bitchy character and I enjoy watching fake bitchy people die. I also like slasher films.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5QO1VmXd8w

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Len posted:

Yeah but nothing I had found indicated that could happen. That was a straight up bullshit horror movie death.

Emily wasn't that bad. Y'all are monsters for popping a woman who obviously has severe insecurities and at least on personality disorder in the face. And he'll just because she cheats doesn't mean she deserves getting blasted in the face. Again lemme say...

You monster.

Nah. She got ett. It was pretty cool.

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm not gonna psychoanalyze why Emily is such a bitch, but she's a fictional bitchy character and I enjoy watching fake bitchy people die. I also like slasher films.

Yup.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Relax Or DIE posted:

The Evil Within is a pretty cool Resident Evil 4-esque game. Definitely worth $10. Just make sure you play on easy mode unless you want to be totally brutalized. You get next to no resources on normal mode and up and it's really easy to get stuck in an unwinnable situation no matter how conservatively you try to play.

The game also plays rather fast and loose with cheap instant-kill deaths, so be wary of that!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Anyone know if Until Dawn will ever be coming to PC? would really love to play it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

On top of that, the multiplayer in Revelations is just fan-loving-tastic. Wonderful good fun

It boggles my mind that Rev1 only has co-op in Raid Mode, and Rev2 only has local co-op for the campaign

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't like watching anybody die, namaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Anyone know if Until Dawn will ever be coming to PC? would really love to play it

It was published by Sony so it seems really unlikely.