Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Do they also refuse help from outsiders out of matters of convenience or do they accept it because it would be rude otherwise.

Like they wouldn't ask for a ride but they would accept one if freely offered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nearly no Amish affiliations use motorized tractors. Almost all Amish affiliations use washing machines. Even saying they're anti-convenience is a misinterpretation.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kurieg posted:

Do they also refuse help from outsiders out of matters of convenience or do they accept it because it would be rude otherwise.

Certain communities definitely hitch a ride into town because a friend or neighbor from outside will drive a van to Walmart. And for Amish using prosthetics (not that uncommon, given: farm work) they'll not-infrequently get driven to and from the clinic too, and wear said limbs (just things that are body-powered like grasping hooks instead of myoelectric fancy hands). Source: Living in rural Wisconsin for a number of years.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kurieg posted:

There are many people who drive trucks and vans to give Amish rides around, sort of an Uber for Mennonites if you will. (they get paid.) The Amish have no problem with this, or things like modern milking equipment. I think even refrigeration is wholly acceptable for personal use.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It can vary, obviously. The Amish are not lockstep regarding technology much like they're not all alike regarding many various things. They're also not the same as Mennonites but they're both Anabaptists.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

The Amish aren't actually anti-technology. They're anti-convenience in their personal lives. They don't like things that get in the way of a proper and moral life by their standards, including most technology in the home which they view as distracting. Amish shops use a full range of technology that helps improve their labor, and most Amish homes have a telephone...on a pole out in a field, so that it is inconvenient to reach and annoying to use. Deliberately.

They might use hook-and-eye fasteners and pins because they believe that buttons are too "proud" but, despite being pacifists, even the Amish keep guns for hunting and vermin control.

TBF, the Retro-Savages (I don't know why they couldn't have used Retros or Regressives or something, Savage is a bit unnecessary) remind me more of the Holnists from David Brin's "The Postman", where their philosophy regarding technology is that it ends with the gun and anything beyond that is corrupting to human existence and must be destroyed. Nevermind, that the top Holnists themselves are all cyborg supersoldiers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I admit I like the idea of "zombies eat people because it makes all the zombies stronger"; it's an interesting take, so I'm assuming that's something that Kevin didn't come up with during the rewrite.

It's not in the original version, so presumably it's his invention. Siembieda does have interesting ideas from time to time, they just tend to not be fully formed or explored in the end. In any case, his concepts of zombie care and feeding, unlike the original pitch, actually function. In Hilden and Sanford's version, any zombie not near a ley line nexus would have starved in weeks or days, since they required a daily infusion of 5 P.P.E., which means they have to eat a person every day or every other day to keep starvation at bay.

Doresh posted:

(On a more serious note, having them try to force the zombie apocalypse into the Palladium rules corset hurts to look at.)

Food for thought: the Palladium rules don't have any guidelines for dealing large numbers of enemies. Having to double the number of zombies regularly in an encounter quickly results in having to handwave things, because there's no way the rules can readily track a scene that starts getting into a score of combatants, much less the thousands like it describes.

Bieeardo posted:

It vaguely occurred to me that they could be related to the Horsemen, but it felt tenuous even for Siembieda, given how early the Africa book came out. Still, they've brought us such ridiculous invitations to throw things at GMs, like the Murder-Wraith(probably TM), and a bit of page padding here and there.

Yeah, I think it's largely Carella that actually drew the Horseman / death cult connection with the Murder-Wraiths to begin with (to be detailed in a future F&F, for those not familiar), but I could be wrong. It's always hard to tell if Siembieda dropped one of his notions in a book, after all.

Mors Rattus posted:

The Amish aren't actually anti-technology. They're anti-convenience in their personal lives.

Yeah, I used a generalization because it's what the book does, and it's my mistake; it was just a convenient shorthand and wasn't meant to make any sort of direct comparison. For those curious, the "Retro-Savages" (I agree it's an awful name) are allowed to use non-electric mechanical devices, like most guns. For some reason they're averse to optic devices (like binoculars or cameras) but some groups might use gun scopes or cars that don't use electronics. They also specifically ban "medicine" but I'm not sure what he means by that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Food for thought: the Palladium rules don't have any guidelines for dealing large numbers of enemies. Having to double the number of zombies regularly in an encounter quickly results in having to handwave things, because there's no way the rules can readily track a scene that starts getting into a score of combatants, much less the thousands like it describes.

I've done it before, just to see if it could be done. Of course, I cheated by making largely making most of the opponents wearing MDC plate carriers, which had an AR value that would be bypassed on a good enough roll (since it's never clear if AR is based off total skill roll or natural die roll). They were also non-environmental, so an exploding technical lit up by laser fire or landing in a fire pit would cook them quick. So, Juicers and Crazies or highly-skilled combatants like Headhunter could mow through them like grass. And, of course, Juicers and Crazies got autododge, so they could pull those sweet The Matrix dodges when a militiaman managed to fire his laser rifle in the right direction according to the rules (I never knew that Rifts had different numbers for melee combat and ranged combat). So it lead to everyone burning their actions in one go, Juicers and Crazies unafraid, getting one-shot/one-hit kills against bandits while bandits stupid enough to dodge lost most of their actions next turn (which adequately modeled suppressive fire, so I kept it) and getting carved up by the team Juicer.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I used a generalization because it's what the book does, and it's my mistake; it was just a convenient shorthand and wasn't meant to make any sort of direct comparison. For those curious, the "Retro-Savages" (I agree it's an awful name) are allowed to use non-electric mechanical devices, like most guns. For some reason they're averse to optic devices (like binoculars or cameras) but some groups might use gun scopes or cars that don't use electronics. They also specifically ban "medicine" but I'm not sure what he means by that.

Probably akin to more Christian Scientists, with major illnesses and injuries are left up to God's will.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This is what's really driving me nuts about the whole thing. Even ignoring the vagaries of the Palladium combat system, fighting these zombies is absolutely absurd. They're artificially difficult to effectively damage, and they take reduced amounts of damage from many sources. That's already slowing combat and reducing it to a series of nopes and annoyed grunts. Then you've got the monsters calling for reinforcements...

And right now, I can hear KS shouting, "You don't have to fight them, stupid! Run!" And that's a perfectly fair thing to say, especially in light of the terrible, fiddly combat rules attached to the shambling fuckers, but...

Dear god. I get genre emulation, but this is the biggest mismatch since AD&D Does Victorian Horror.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, that's not really surprising at all. Palladium was first made in the era before "mook rules" existed, and so every single enemy had a full stat block. And since the system's has never been updated...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Young Freud posted:

I've done it before, just to see if it could be done. Of course, I cheated by making largely making most of the opponents wearing MDC plate carriers, which had an AR value that would be bypassed on a good enough roll (since it's never clear if AR is based off total skill roll or natural die roll). They were also non-environmental, so an exploding technical lit up by laser fire or landing in a fire pit would cook them quick. So, Juicers and Crazies or highly-skilled combatants like Headhunter could mow through them like grass. And, of course, Juicers and Crazies got autododge, so they could pull those sweet The Matrix dodges when a militiaman managed to fire his laser rifle in the right direction according to the rules (I never knew that Rifts had different numbers for melee combat and ranged combat). So it lead to everyone burning their actions in one go, Juicers and Crazies unafraid, getting one-shot/one-hit kills against bandits while bandits stupid enough to dodge lost most of their actions next turn (which adequately modeled suppressive fire, so I kept it) and getting carved up by the team Juicer.

I've done Palladium combat with more "mook" style enemies, and though it speeds stuff up keeping track of the attacks enemies have in a round, even when it's 2 or 3, is a huge PitA in my experience. There are ways you can ease tracking it but Palladium's order of combat and the number of rolls and amount of number tracking involved really, really bogs things down. I can't imagine how bad it would be tracking hit location damage for each zombie, even without getting into the fact that RAW you have to generate each one by hand each time, rolling their attributes and possibly on an optional table to see if they're pre-damaged, and it's even worse if human adversaries are involved.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bieeardo posted:

What the Hell is it with Siembieda and death cults? I swear that they pop up in RIFTS books at random, always with some vague implication that they're connected somehow and the authorial assumption that they're remotely interesting.

Same reason their games are full of animal human hybrids: unimaginative, but easy. I'm surprised that this game doesn't have 10 pages of filler in the form of stats for various species of animal as zombies.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Godbound

So the PCs are coked to the gills with epic-level awesomeness. So, what are they gonna fight? Hopefully something as rad as this:

Foes of Heaven

This one's just begging for a guitar photoshop.

As typical for an OSR game, creature statblocks are quite small and only contain the most vital combat stats (AC, Move, HD, Save, Attack, Damage, Morale, and in Godbound's case Effort).
Several creatures also have a Tactics table which lists special abilities or behavior. As these tables always contain six entries, the GM can just roll them up for creatures that act a bit erratic.

A special type of enemy are powerful supernatural foes. These are your Outsiders, Magical Beasts, Aberrations, or just really anything noteworthy that might be a danger to a Godbound, or several of them.
Most of these supernatural foes are immune against non-magical attacks, and their own attacks count as magic themselves. Furthermore, they can do the whole "spend Effort to no-sell a Save-or-Whatever effect", and their normal attacks generally deal straigth damage to avoid rolling too many dice all the time.
In order to be a greater threat to a group of Godbound, these foes typically have not only multiple attacks, but also multiple actions, each of which can be used to move and use all of their attacks.

Supernatural foes, powerful spellcasters and bad enough heroes in general can often mimic effects from Gifts, sometimes even having access to Words and miracles. This doesn't actually mean they have divine powers like Godbound, just that they can pull of similar effects. This means that these mockups can generally be dispelled by lesser magic.

Angels

She has seen better days.

As mentioned several times, angels in Godbound have become batshit crazy, or are at least suffering from severe anger management issues. Aside from a small band of loyalists gathered around the former Warden of Hell Sammael, angels are extremely dangerous beings hell-bent on getting rid of mankind for good. Some angels just go around smashing Celestial Engines, while others are more subtle and try to corrupt humans to effectively troll them into Hell.

All angels have the special abilities Unmade (their normal attacks always deal straight damage), Unfettered (silly Jedi Mind Tricks don't work on them) and Unborn (each angel was created with one aspect of nature, which effectively gives them access to a Word with which to use Miracles and maybe even Gifts).

The types of angels presented here are the run-of-the-mill Angelic Guardian (HD 10), the Angelic Ravager (HD 15) who used to be a celestial engineer before deciding to smash Celestial Engines, the Angelic Regent (HD 20) who schemes and can take the appearance of just about every mortal, and the Angelic Tyrant (HD 50) who used to guard over a major concept of reality.

The Ravager is the most limited in terms of mobility as he can't fly. Guardians can do that, and the Regent and Tyrant don't need to because they can just teleport (with the Tyrant being able to teleport to anything within sight range, as if he wasn't already scary enough). Typical tactics include blasting everything with an AoE attack, moving to a better position, buffing themselves with Miracles and attacking or trying to save-or-die a target chosen according to a theme (Ravagers try to kill the enemies with the finest equipment, while Tyrants go for the most insulting one). Regents can speed up their minions, while the Tyrant has a neat ability that makes him bark an order at an enemy dealing double damage to him if he disobeys.
Angels also show that the tactic aren't always too useful. The Tyrant sometimes just makes himself invincible for a round to sit back and watch his minions fight for him.

The Eldtich

These guys are high- or even epic-level spellcasters, like wizards, priests or lichs. They all have at least the Sorcery Word and know Theurgy, with access to a strange and varied assortment of minions.
Eldritch can be pretty dangerous in that they are not only the closest to a Godbound mortals (or former mortals) can get, but they have sometimes gained their powers through a pact with the Uncreated, and they love nothing more than causing a mortal wizard to open a new Night Road for them.

Eldritch presented here come in Lesser (HD 16), Greater (HD 22) and Master (HD 36) variety. Tactics include general buffing and debuffing, getting as much distance to enemies while preferrable raising additional obstacles, and charging for a round to then hit automatically with max damage.

Made Gods

"Witness my spiky cheesecake armor!"

The artifically-created gods from shortly before the Shattering. Built to embody the ideals of their people, not all of them were raging combat beasts, but most of the nicer ones were the first ones to die.
Nowadays, the few remaining Made Gods reside either in their own Paradise, an isolated Shard of Heaven, or their own little realm in which they hide from the wrath of the angels.

Made Gods come in various shapes and sizes, but they are all HD 50 monstrosities who sport the most damaging basic attack in the game, a blast attack dealing 2d10 straigth damage (where everyone else caps out at 1d12 straight). That's one ordinary level 11 murder hobo per shot, and they can blast up to six times per round (3 actions with 2 attacks each).
If that wasn't bad enough, they also always hit, always make their saves, and have effectively unlimited Effort with which to use their Gifts and Miracles. PCs better be prepared.

If no other Made God or a Godbound is around, they also automatically brainwash any HD 1-2 creature in sigh to be their loyal minions. And if you manage to unmake a Made God, they die in a big explosion (though instead of an actual explosion, they might just curse everything in the area or cause some other lasting effect).

Tactics are pretty funny for Made Gods. They might just waste an entire round showing off, alpha strike the poor fool who insulted them, or just try to hit as many people with as many different attacks as possible (aka showing off in a more useful way).

Misbegotten

"Hooooonk!"

Misbegotten are essentially mutants. If they weren't created on purpose (like say a chimera), they were twisted and changed through the various after-effects of the Shattering. Some Misbegotten are simple humans and animals with weird but harmless mutations, while others have been turned into dangerous beasts.

Misbegotten can act as cannon fodder (albeit one with access to at least one Gift-like ability) or boss encounter. The Misbegotten presented here include the Minor Misbegotten (HD 1-5), the Titanic Beast (HD 15), and the Twisted Ogre (HD 20).
The most dickish tactic goes to the Ogre, who can sacrifice a minion to distract an opponent for max damage.

Mobs

Since Godbound can plow through normal mortals like in Dynasty Warriors, the GM can combine this cannon fodder into Mobs for easier management.

Mobs don't come with an exact quantity of members, but instead have their size eyeballed depending on how much space they take: a Small Mob can fill a large room, a Large Mob can block a street, and a Vast Mob is as big as a military unit.

Mobs use the same statblock as the creature their composed of, with additional attacks (x1 / x2 / x3) and HD (10 + 2x base HD / 2x Small / 3x Small) depending on the size. When determining whether or not the Mob is a lesser foe, they always use their base HD.
Mobs don't really need to move, as they simply fill up space, which in most cases encompasses the entire are the battle is fought. Every enemy within reach can be hit with their full array of attacks. Any special abilities and attacks can also be used on everyone and they don't reduce their number of available attacks, but a Mob can't use more than one ability per round.
The big weakness of Mobs is that area effects deal straigth damage, which can add up quickly with the Corona of Fury or other Fireball-equivalents.

To spice things up, there are two abilities specific to Mobs: Overwhelm grants them access to a special attack (pack tactics, focus fire, a combined magic attacks...) that hits a single foe automatically unless they make a Save, the exact type of Save depending on the Mob.
Blood Like Water is for Mobs that just swarm over their opponents with no regards towards defense, like a zombie horde or vermin. They hit their enemies automatically, but so do they.

Example Mobs include Furious Peasants (HD 12 / 24 / 36), Trained Soldiers (HD 12 / 24 / 36), Elite Warriors (HD 16 / 32 / 48), Brazen Legion aka warbots (HD 20 / 40 / 60), Undead Horde (HD 12 / 24 / 36, through that's probably supposed to be 14 / 28 / 32 as they're describe as HD 2 critters) and Verminous Swarm (HD 12 / 24 / 36).

Mortal Foes

"Oh poo poo! A druid!"

A selection of normal humans and animals to encounter, typically as minions or Mobs. Since this isn't a d20 game were you have skill ranks that are tied to your level, Godbound is helpful in reminding us that important political figures can live just fine with 1 or 2 HD, instead of requiring them to be high-level badasses by default.

Common Humans include your typical cannon fodder: Civilian (HD 1), Warrior (HD 1) and Veteran (HD 2).

Exceptional Humans are your typical murder hobos: Minor Hero (HD 4), Major Hero (HD 8) and Skilled Mage (HD 6). These guys are usually bad enough dudes to get Gift-like effects and using their Effort to no-sell. The Mage is not skilled enough to know Theurgy, though.

Pack Animals are all those critters that are typically found in Mobs: Petty Vermin aka rats and insects (HD 1), Pack Hunters like wolves (HD 1), and Big Hunters like lions or warhorses (HD 3).

Lone Beasts are not necessarily loners, but they do pose a threat all on their own: Lone Hunters like tigers and sharks (HD 4), Big Grazers like elephants (HD 7), and Predator Kings like the biggest and meanest grizzly around (HD 12).

Parasite Gods

These guys are the Godbounds' junkie brothers. Created when a damaged Celestial Engine leaks out energy than then latches onto a mortal, they present a (at least initially) more subtle effect of the slow but steady decay caused by the Shattering. They have access to a Word, complete with Gifts and Miracles.

Parasite are frequently "blessed" with physical mutations and insanity, but their most dangerous trait is their insatiable hunger for the celestial energy that was never meant to be theirs in the first place. As such, they like to create their own cults to be worshipped, but even the nices and least messed-up Parasite God will eventually be turned into a cruel, self-destructive tyrant due to his hunger.

The "parasite" in their name stems from them siphoning off celestial energy meant to keep natural laws running. As such, the area they hang out in will sooner or later deteriorate, with magical disasters and Night Roads popping up.
Luckily, most Parasite Gods are generally tied to that very area (which can be as small as a building or as big as a continent), and they will die in a matter few days if they leave it. This generally puts a cap on how fast they can gobble up energy (much to the detriment of their sanity), though some Parasite Gods can figure out that a big and powerful enough group of followers can prepare other areas for his unending hunger.

The book presents three tiers of Parasite God: The Weak God (HD 15), Established God (HD 25) and Dread God (HD 40). Tactics include attacking people who defy their authority and indulging in divine ecstasy, which basically boils down to them getting drunk on celestial power and wasting their round spamming powers with no regards on whether or not that would be useful to do.

This section also comes with a specific example Parasite God: the Weak God known as the Buried Mother.
The Buried Mother might just be one of the first Parasite Gods. Born shortly before - or during - when the fight against the Ren invaders damaged a Celestial Engine and "blessed" her with the Word of Earth. She has since been shackled to the ruins of her community the destroyed when they refused to worship her.
Her still only being a Weak God after the 1,000 or so years has to do with the isolated area she's bound to and her severe lack of followers (which she has to make herself out of stone, though they don't quite do it for her). Any unfortunate mortal who stumbles upon her will be quickly forced to worship himself to death.
She appears as a giantess wearing jeweled cloth. She's probably up to 14 feet tall, but that's hard to tell for sure because her lower body always stays buried in the earth (hence her name).
In combat, she makes use of her customized Earth Gifts: Rocky Snare (imprison people with improptu walls), Stony Grasp (grab a guy), Swim the Earth (exactly what it sounds like) and Topple the Stones (hurl stones or topple pillars for an earth-based line attack).

Relicts

Mordor, or Boatmurdered?

Relicts are the remnants of a civilization or entire realm that has long since gone. Some are actual living beings, while others are artifical in nature.

Timeworn are the inhabitants of realms that have collapsed. They should be dead for all intents and purposes, but they've managed to survive due to spontaneous mutations. If their realm no longer has gravity or air, they might be able to fly and use the sun for sustenance.
Still, their prett much dead realm typically has only a few resources left to live off, and they will attack any visitor with said resources like a horde of zombies. Negotiating with them is not an easy task, but whoever manages to restore their realm will gain a bunch of devout followers.

The example creature for this type of Relict is the Timeworn Survivor (HD 1-3), who often go after the enemy who appears to have the most loot.

Automatons are naturally various types of constructs, found in ancient ruins and otherwise dead realms. Some still follow their original programming, while others might've developed a kind of free will.

The example Automaton presented is the Guardian Automaton (HD 12), who can repair himself and may still try to call reinforcements or alert its masters, even if neither exist anymore.

The Lusae are Timeworn on steroids. After centuries of twisting laws of nature and heavy mutations, they have turned into bizarre and utterly chaotic monstrosities that more often than not no longer resemble what they used to be.

The example critter for these lovely fellows is the Ancient Lusus (HD 20). It's tactics mainly consist of lashing out and creating general chaos.

Shapeshifters

Aside from our typical druids and lycanthropes, shapeshifters in Godbound can also originate from strange experiments from before the Shattering, having natural shapeshifting abilities from their genes. These type of shapeshifters were created either as part of a transhumanist experiment, or to act as more efficient assassins.

One such type of assassin are the Many-Skinned. They are sleeper agents, living a perfectly normal life until their genetic "programming" activates on their 18 birthdays, granting them the ability to take on the form of any humanoid between 3 and 8 feet, a resistance against mental effects, immortality insofar that they no longer age, and the irresistible urge to "kill the enemy" - which more often than not means the civilization they grew up in.
Most Many-Skinned are horrified by this urge and try to find ways to cheat their programming. Others just give in and become very efficient killers. Basically a high-fantasy version of the Faceless Men from Game of Thrones.

The example Many-Skinned presented here is a Veteran Assassin (HD 15), who has many centureis of experience and a couple Gifts to back it up.

If PCs try to shapeshift, they can do so to take on the movement mode of the creature they transform into, as well as any ability they need to survive (like breathing underwater for a fish). Using a more extraordinary ability (like a dragon's breath attack) requires them to commit Effort.
Aside from gaining a natural attack whose damage depends on the creature's size, the shapeshifter's comat stats are unaffected. You could turn your soldiers into an army of rhinos, but that won't actually make them tougher. For that, you gotta use Dominion to modify them.

Spirits

Spirits are insubstantial creatures that can only interact with the physical world through special abilities or special bodies or shells for them to use.

Elementals are raw elemental power without much sentience, acting more as a walking hazard than an actual creature. They can fashion a shell out of their own element.

Eidolons are ghosts, the souls of the dead who for some reason or another have been bound to a specific place. They will generally try to protect this place and affect the world of the living by possessing intruders.

Anima are pretty much constructs; Artifical spirits still following their original programming, only being able to shells that someone built for them.

Aside from these differences in origin, they all come in Minor (HD 5) , Major (HD 15) and Mighty (HD 30) varieties, with a few Gifts to use.

Summoned Entities

There are two ways to summon creatures: Either with the Low Magic traditions of the Cinnabar Order or the Theotechnicians, or through a Miracle. The latter is much more flexible in terms of what can be summoned, and most of the examples listed here focus on the Low Magic varieties:

The Cinnabar Order can make use of Sparks (HD 2 or 4) and Conflagrations (HD 8), fire beings with strong pyromanic tendencies.
Theotechnicians on the other hand can build Drones (HD 2 or 4) and the much more humanoid Iconodules (HD 8).

Dickish Eldritch might decide to summon some Uncreated beings, namely the Shade (HD 3 or 6) and the Unbidden (HD 10). They come in all sorts of shapes and act very erratic, but they don't come with all the nasty abilities of a purer Uncreated.

The Uncreated

The primordial horrors that threaten all of reality. They typicall have the basic outline of a humanoid or beast, but are utterly twisted and bizarre to look at, like Lovecraft meets The Thing or something.

The scariest part of these Uncreated is that they have abilities that can counter divine powers: The Black Consumption lets them Commit Effort to no-sell any Gift or Miracle, while The Cold Breath is some kind of anti-divine aura that forces Godbound to commit up to 5 Effort to overcome it and actually use their abilities.
Uncreated also make use of Words and Gifts, though their powers manifest in a twisted or perverted form, like cold fire or water that's actually a bunch of gore.

Uncreated presented here include the Stalking Horror (HD 7), who is very sneaky and backstabby and can make the next Gift used by anyone explode in their face, and the Hulking Abomination (HD 30) who just smashes things, causes AoE damage or just makes his foes attack each other.

Undead

Undead in this game come in two varieties: Lesser Undead are mindless automatons that are weak, but easy to create and utterly loyal. Greater Undead still have a soul and can remember their past life more or less clearly. They are also harder to create and might turn on its master if he's not careful, but they are a lot more resistant to getting roflstomped by a Godbound with the Death Word than a Lesser Undead.

Ancalian Husks (HD 1) are the zombies created from all the crap going on in Ancalia after the appearance of the Night Roads. They are mainly good for Mob material and just swarm their prey without much tactical finesse.

War-Draugr (HD 5) are the heavily-armored shock troopers of the Ulstang raiders. They sometimes have Gifts of the Sword and Endurance Word, and they fight without any regard for themselves because Hell sounds a lot nicer to them then their current existence.

Dried Lords (HD 25) are basically mummies, being imbued with the soul of an ancient warlord or priests. Some of them can have vast magical powers, but those are better represented as Eldritch.

Creating New Foes

One of the most important stats when creating or adapting a creature is its Hit Dice. Most other stats roughly correlate to that number, with a soft cap in place after which additional HD mostly serve to be more effective at fighting an entire group of Godbound.
As for these caps, AC should never be lower than 0, Saves should rarely be better than 5+ except for truly titanic opponents, and if you really want a better Attack Bonus than +10, you might as well just make it auto-hit. When using a Gift that depends on a Godbound's level, a creature is considered to have a level equal to half its Hit Dice, with an upper limit of 10.

For balance purposes, a creature supposed to handle a group of Godbound should have a number of HD equal to 10 plus twice the total levels of the Godbound. Otherwise, it could just end up getting alpha-striked in round one.

As typical for Crawford games, you get a table of generic foes to reflavor or use as a benchmark, ranging from a Common Human (HD 1) to a Divine Monstrous Beast (HD 20).
If you want some quick inspiration, you can roll up movement options, attack patterns, defensive and impairing abilities for the creature to use.

Very handy for both the GM and players alike is a section on Styling Powers and Abilities, which lists each Word and gives example on how powers and attacks using that Word might look like. My favorites definitely include Command (force enemies to commit suicide), Endurance (have attacks bounce off your pecks and hit the attacker) and Wealth (bury people in gold, pierce them with diamonds, or bribe them to kill each other). Fun stuff.

After some useful tips on managing combat (keep notes handy and don't forget to dispell stuff), we also get a sidebar about converting creatures from other games, to make something like this:

The Tarrasque
AC: 0 Move: 20'
Hite Dice: 48 Save: 3+
Attack: Three automatic hits Damage: 1d8 straight
Morale: 11 Effort: 16

The Tarrasque has two actions per round and is imbued with the Endurance Word, making it impossible to be truly killed by non-divine means.

(This one's based on its 3.X incarnation, and you can port over most of its abilities from that game. Frightful Presence for example would probably end up forcing a Morale check on anyone in sight. I'd also give it some crazy AoE jump attack, or an energy breath.)

Next Time: Treasures Beyond Price - items worthy of a god.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 29, 2016

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I haven't read the segment for running the game yet, but is AC 0 really possible? I thought it was roll under AC to hit and you can't hit something at or under zero on 1d20.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Tasoth posted:

I haven't read the segment for running the game yet, but is AC 0 really possible? I thought it was roll under AC to hit and you can't hit something at or under zero on 1d20.

Nah. You just roll a d20, add your attack bonus and the target's AC, and check whether or not the total is a 20 or higher.

That's pretty much the gist of that famous ThAC0 table that Crawford gets around with the above method: A positive AC is actually a bonus to your attack.

The highest Attack Bonus a Godbound can have is +14 (Level 10 plus the Might Word for that +4 STR bonus), so an AC of 0 is still pretty good considering you're fighting against the closest thing to a deity.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 29, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Here's a trick to getting your head around THAC0: It's short for "To hit armor class zero". In other words, it's the target number ("DC" if you grew up with third edition) for your attack roll, assuming you're swinging at something with an AC of 0. A knight in shining armour, say.

It's honestly growing onto me, since I like having my target numbers on the sheet in front of me.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Siivola posted:

Here's a trick to getting your head around THAC0: It's short for "To hit armor class zero". In other words, it's the target number ("DC" if you grew up with third edition) for your attack roll, assuming you're swinging at something with an AC of 0. A knight in shining armour, say.

It's honestly growing onto me, since I like having my target numbers on the sheet in front of me.

I'd say THAC0 originally suffered from an obsession for tables by the original writers, as well as their inability to explain things in a clear and easy way.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, and also comparatively few enemies actually have AC 0, making it pretty bad as a baseline.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm working on babies first F&F write up and it's turning out to be a lot more words than I expected. What is the max character count for a post?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
That's actually a really good sign that you should either trim it down or break it into two posts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Real answer, 50k characters. You'll start getting a running character count at the bottom of the post window at around 35k.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the answers. I'm coming in around 20K characters on the first draft so I should be okay.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kevin Siembieda posted:

I have no intention of going into all the details of the situation or my decision, because that would be unfair, unkind, and inappropriate, especially in a public forum. Josh Hilden and Joshua Sanford put their hearts into their manuscript. They did their best. Unfortunately for them, "I" deemed it was not acceptable. They are already aware of my thoughts on the matter. Sadly, I fear the final published book may be a further disappointment to them.

I had no intention of writing Dead Reign, but felt I had no recourse but to do so. I sure didn't want to delay it several months, so I dived into writing it myself.

Dead Reign Part 4: "Doesn't matter what the character was before the Zombie Apocalypse, he's a Shepherd of the Damned now."

Put the italics down, Siembieda. Put them down for your own good!

Characters

Time for character classes before we know any of the rules. Palladium editing: it may involve a dart board. Usually, when I do these sections for Rifts, I like to detail the odds of playing each class, but as we'll see later, Dead Reign is slightly softer on players in terms of meeting attribute requirements, and there's an alternate character generation method I'm not going to be accounting for here that makes qualifying much easier if it's used.

"It turns out your forehead keeps growing after death! It's true!

The Half-Living
An optional post-Zombie Apocalypse O.C.C.

Chance of Playing: 100%, if your GM permits it.

Yes, we start with an optional class that might not be allowed by GMs. That's so very Palladium. As mentioned before, sometimes somebody nearly gets killed a zombie and survives.

Dead Reign posted:

In game terms, we are talking about the thin line where a character sees his Hit Points reduced to zero, or between zero and his P.E. attribute number below zero. A character lapses into a coma when Hit Points reach zero. Zombies sense this and see the character as dead. However, a character can linger on death's door as long as his Hit Points were not reduced below his P.E. attribute number. If the character has a P.E. of 9 he can survive -9 below Hit Points. If he has a P.E. of 24, he can survive -24 points below zero. Hmm, probably shouldn't use the word "survive" because this character is dead unless he gets immediate medical treatment and rolls a successful save vs coma and death, two out of three times. This is one of those paramedic resuscitation moments. ("Hand me the paddles, stat!")

:psyduck:

Clear and concise rules language.

So, you come back looking like one of those original zombies, with an overuse of eyeshadow, pale complexion (even if you're melanin-intensive?), and a 69.8 temperature that makes you literally cooler than everybody else. You get bonuses against heat, cold, poison, and disease, and only need to feed half as often. In addition, you can eat raw meat if you're into that. It gives you 50% more strength, and get ignored by all but the smart-ish zombies, but humans might mistake you for a zombie. You can sense zombie moans like a zombie but with a slight delay, and regenerate slightly when somebody near you dies. On the downside, you lose Speed and Physical Beauty, think fire bad, get penalties all over when you're not around humans to ground you, and become a zombie when you die. Oh, and you lose 30%-80% of your elective and secondary skills. Round up? Round down? Choose randomly or select skills? Work it out for your drat selves, customers, this is Palladium. At least it says directly that if you don't want to become one in the course of play, the GM should just let you survive normally. Player choice? In a Palladium game? Heavens to Betsy.

Of course, if you create a Half-Living from scratch, you use a completely different set of rules, because this is Palladium, and I'm not going to cover them because gently caress it, who cares? Short version: you're trading out most of your skills to become a zombie-themed superhero, take it or leave it. That is, if your GM allows it! They can tell you no.

Give the dog a (still animate) bone.

Hound Master
A post-Zombie Apocalypse O.C.C.

Chance of Playing: 13%, or 31% if your GM is nice.

So dogs are awesome because they're man's best friend and can "sense the supernatural."

Dead Reign posted:

They can detect zombies (and people with magic or psionic powers)...

The latter of which would be useful if those people existed in the game! In any case, these are people that try and rescue and train canine survivors (since zombies feed on them all the same if they can). Their main goal is to rescue wild and or feral dogs, with the twofold notion of using them to assist fellow survivors and to get dangerous dogs off the the streets. This can be via rescue, or if they can't be tamed, just putting wild dogs down. This goes with a lot of talk about how dogs are awesome that should seem familiar if you're read any of the dog boy material in Rifts.

Hound Masters get the special ability to try and ward away feral dogs, "dog first aid", and train dogs in a variety of areas from guard animals to zombie-sensing dogs, but only one area because you can't teach an old dog new tricks! They also get a free dog sidekick with an extra dog every 3 levels except for 15th, because why reward years of Hound Master play in a really lethal game?

We also get dog rules. Did you now "well trained and behaved dogs" have good alignment, misbehaving dogs have selfish alignments, and wild dogs have evil alignments? Well, there is no way in which this will ever matter. They actually have poo poo for durability and a single zombie punch can send them into needing a doggie doctor, but they do have access to special pounce and grab attacks that work irregardless of the defender's strength, but at least that works in PC's favor this time... unless they're wild dogs attacking, which use the same rules.

Ultimately, it's a pretty neat class for a zombie game... but hobbled by predictably dodgy Palladium rules.

Playing little league, apparently.

Reaper

Chance of Playing: 38%, or 63% if your GM is nice.

Dead Reign posted:

"Memento Mori"
"Remember that you are mortal," the Reapers' motto.

These are the bikers from Dawn of the Dead if they were good guys and not just total shitheels. (I suspect the Joshes' original version were just total shitheels.) The name came from a biker gang from Chicago who survived the "Battle of Chicago", whatever the the gently caress that was (they helped a bunch of people escape Chicago from zombies, apparently). But they had Brad Ashley, who writes and widely distributes the self-aggrandizing but kinda helpful Reaper's Survival Guide and so other bikers have taken up the name. Kev has always been a bit stuck on the idea of people that do good and "roam the land like knights of old", even though that's not something knights fuckin' did, so these are your Cyber-Knight equivalent, only with less cyber and more motorcycle. They're focused on zombie murder and just trying to clear out zombies wherever they reasonably can.

They get to negate any penalty for attacking from a bike with a one-handed weapon, can fix motorcycles, have special lore skills for death cults and reapers. We get a long-winded description of their tactics, which boil down to hit 'n run or doing tactical stealth missions against zombies. They're more focused on killing zombies and death cults than rescuing people. So maybe they're a little shitheel.

"Wait, did we forget to commission art for this class? Well, we can just stuff something vaguely related in, good enough."

Scroungers

Chance of Playing: 39%, or 52% if your GM is nice.

There isn't a lot more to this class than the title implies - they're traders and do repairs, as well. As such, they're just the thief archetype, good at sneaky stuff, social stuff, and fixing things. There isn't much else to day. They get a free bike! Oh, no, not the motor type. The pedal type. They're literal BMX bandits.

To be fair, I think Michael Mumah is probably the best artist in this.

Shepherd of the Damned

Chance of Playing: 100%

These are survivors that go into cities and try and find and rescue anybody still trapped there - either for free or for a fee. Many specialize in a single city or region and learn it extremely well. Though they're competent fighters, usually they're just looking to bug out. Like Scroungers, they don't get any particular "special" abilities, just getting a bunch of survival skills as the vague rangers of this game, only without the cool double weapons or ranged combat options.

Mumah's art has a comic book style that fits the idea of a Palladium zombie game really well...

Soldier
An post-Zombie Apocalypse O.C.C.

Chance of Playing: Varies based on M.O.S., from 100% to 14% (23% if your GM is nice)

We've got thieves, cavaliers, rangers... what else? Oh, yes. Fighters. These are ex-law enforcement and ex-military professional sorts, and they get special bonuses versus zombies. Their special deal is that they get to pick an M.O.S. (Military Occupational Specialty, but the book doesn't explain that, nor does it use term correctly, G.I. Joe file cards were more accurate than this...) like "Demolitions Expert", "Law Enforcement: Undercover", or "Special Ops: Commando". Each has a different attribute requirement but basically just serves as a skill package. Mind, your M.O.S. doesn't affect your equipment, so you can be a "Communications Expert" with nothing more than a walkie-talkie or a beat cop who has a bunch of grenades.

... except for whatever this mess is, yikes.

Survivor

Chance of Playing: 100%

This is your everyday person catch-all sort of class. So if you want to play a heroic line cook, this is where you start. You can also play a child. Technically, you can play a baby! You still roll 3d6 for attributes, baby, get an occupation ("he's a real doctor!"), and then get et by a death cultist. Survivors get an optional rule where they might have skills at a higher level (1d4), but those skills don't advance until you level up to that level as a Survivor, because a 4th level Factory Worker or a 4th level Landscaper (these are listed occupations you can pick) could somehow break the game or something? "Look out, he's got an extra 15% chance at gardening, the sky is falling!" I guess a Paramedic or a Professional Driver might be better off, but still. It's not the big deal the game makes of it.

Oddly, there's overlap with the soldier, where you can be a cop or even a SWAT trooper under either; you'll get better skills as a Survivor but better combat bonuses as a Soldier. There's 42 different occupations and I won't list them all, but they range from useful (Extreme Sports, Hit Man) to less so (Housekeeper, Store Clerk). Unlike the soldier, it notes that you might have the tools of your trade, but if your GM's a dick, you don't get them. That's Palladium, forcing the GM to make two judgement calls over what's supposed to be the most basic goddamn class. Well, I'll play my Extreme Sports Baby, nothing in the rules is stopping that (though the GM decides if I get a helmet).

Next: poo poo, a Brick.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 30, 2016

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Inspired to have Dawn of the Dead cross over with Knightriders for the maximum Romero experience.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Extreme Sports Baby is amazing. Thank you.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Christ, Kevin Siembieda is a god drat rear end in a top hat.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

pale complexion (even if you're melanin-intensive?)

Ashy Larry.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Next: poo poo, a Brick.

Let me guess, you're going to go over the new character generation ruleset, which get's remarkably broken real quick. Or is this the pages and pages of random encoounters?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If you make a demonstration character, could we get Major Lilywhite?

Life does poo poo on him enough that I can see him winding up in the middle of a Palladium game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Hitman Baby takes no joy in his work.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Dead Reign Part 4: "Doesn't matter what the character was before the Zombie Apocalypse, he's a Shepherd of the Damned now."

Put the italics down, Siembieda. Put them down for your own good!

Is that really something he does regularly? This is like one of those comic book writers who bold random words in each speech bubble as if they had no idea how actual human beings would emphasize the sentence.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 30, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Doresh posted:

Is that really something he does regularly? This is like one of those comic book writers who bold random words in each speech bubble as if they had no idea how actual human beings would emphasize the sentence.
Yup. That and putting (TM)'s and such in his blog posts.

MightyMatilda
Sep 2, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

An post-Zombie Apocalypse O.C.C.

This happens a couple times. I don't know if it's Palladium's fault, or yours.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

Inspired to have Dawn of the Dead cross over with Knightriders for the maximum Romero experience.

Don't forget to have some ham-fisted metaphor. "It's really about the energy crisis!", one character shouts directly into the camera.

That Old Tree posted:

Extreme Sports Baby is amazing. Thank you.

Thanks.

chiasaur11 posted:

If you make a demonstration character, could we get Major Lilywhite?

I don't generally do demonstration characters myself. If it was a game like Heroes Unlimited or Nightbane that has a lot of random charts to roll on, I might, but Palladium characters aren't generally that fun to roll up otherwise, IMO - about the only big random roll is the Survivor's occupation.

Doresh posted:

Occasionally.

Kevin Siembieda posted:

Remember, only 150 copies were printed as a limited edition advance preview of the complete, submitted manuscript for this book. The Sovietski™ Raw Preview is a hefty, 160 pages of source material, cyborgs, gear and combat vehicles. Be the first to know what’s coming in Rifts® Sovietski™, planned for release early next year. Sold on a first-come, first-served basis while supplies last. Get yours before it is gone.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

MightyMatilda posted:

This happens a couple times. I don't know if it's Palladium's fault, or yours.

It's my fault, I copy-pasted from the Half-Living without thinking.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kevin Siembieda posted:

The end product is NOT Josh Hilden and Josh Sanford's manuscript "changed just enough to be able to take credit for it." That would be crazy, mean, and pointless. I dream of getting manuscripts that need little or no rewriting. That was not the case, here.

I took what I thought were the best ideas from Josh and Joshua's manuscript and built on them. The rest of it was written from the ground up. I did a ton of my own research, spoke to numerous individuals about zombies and spent six weeks writing 12-18 hours a day, seven days a week to get this book finished.
I'm not sure speaking to friends and co-workers about zombies counts as part of "research".

Dead Reign Part 5: "Sexy faring, comfortable riding position, and a chassis that tells you, 'You can do anything stud, just keep on leaning.'"

Remember, you can only hit the head on an unmodified 17-20!

Notable Resources

We're back to the Reaper Survival Guide and more Brad with some tips on getting crap. He points out you can try and use your skills as a trade for resources, for one. Next, he brings up the utility of phone books, forgetting that phone books were seriously getting scarce even by 2008. Atlases and guidebooks are also useful, though you generally have to wander into urban areas to find them.

He emphasizes that normal street cars are of little practical use, but might have resources (tools, fuel, parts) or could be used as a weapon or distraction. However, he warns against "car graveyards" and points out zombies will just punch right though windows if you try and hole up i a vehicle. However, trucks have greater utility, especially when reinforced with things like a winch, armor, and weapon ports. He also suggests a fuel pump to siphon fuel from abandoned vehicles, despite "car graveyards" apparently being breeding grounds for GM gently caress-you surprise hordes.

Gasoline stations, hardware stores, industrial parks, factories, and museums are all covered for their resources. In cities, wide open areas with long lines of sight (wait, wouldn't that make it easier for zombies to see you, since they see humans better than vice versa?), like sports facilities, auditoriums and theaters, and parks are recommended. Pawnshops, pharmacies, shipping facilities, and airports are also cited as some of the few reasons to venture into cities. Skyscrapers are noted as a potential place to hide or escape since most ground-level zombies won't venture beyond the first few floors, but also have a variety of risks from attracting human predators to trying to maintain heating.

Rural communities have at times managed to fend off zombies and become "Safe Haven Communities", but many are hostile to outsiders (or may be outright baddies like retro-savages or cultists). Still, some are genuinely good people, or at least willing to trade, and he encourages you to help them out.

Remember, you can only hit the head or neck on an unmodified 17-20!

Weapons & Equipment

And now we switch to Nick "The Brick" Vicovsky, possibly named for what he shits, it doesn't say. He used to be a jerk biker rear end in a top hat, but became a decent biker rear end in a top hat by joining The Reapers and learning an important lesson about what family means, or something. He offers commentary during the upcoming section most of which I'm probably going to skip because I've still got over a hundred pages left and you can't pretend you care about his opinion on the Dodge RAM 350. I'll leave you in suspense.

Oh, and first thing we get around to is bizarrely referring us to the Heroes Unlimited GM's Guide of all things for more guns, or the slightly more relevant Compendium of Contemporary Weapons (the compendium was written 15 years before this was written, so I promise it was and is anything but contemporary). Everything gets a $$$ value but it's pointed out this is just for barter reference and that money doesn't matter so much anymore.

Unlike other Palladium games, firearms are divided into caliber (which determines the damage, from 2d4 at .22 caliber to 1d6 x 10 at .50 caliber) and their general type (which determines the range / magazine / fire rate) rather than getting a big long list of guns. There's also a variety of special ammo types, most of which add damage in different ways. There's "The Brick's" frankly irritating commentary, like:

Dead Reign posted:

Yeah, I know, big guns look cool in the movies. Well, this isn't The Predator. This is the real world, and you are engaged in urban combat inside buildings, houses, on city streets and tight places. A machine-gun will rip right through the zombies, punch through a plaster wall, wood planks, aluminum and even thin metal (cars) like a sheet of paper and destroy property and kill everyone in the next room or two or three. You do not want that on your conscience.

:jerkbag:

We get rules for explosives (half damage to zombies and knocks them over), which are good for slowing down crowds of zombies but isn't likely to take them out without major booms. Fire weapons get their own section - flamethrowers, molotov cocktails (with a warning that having flaming zombies running around has consequences), incendiary grenades, flares, etc. There's crossbows which somehow do full damage even though spears and bows don't, because this game hates physics or loves crossbows, one of the two.

Remember, you can only hit the neck on an unmodified 17-20!

Then there's melee weapons, which boil down to "use the biggest weapon you're allowed to use for your strength", as some heavy weapons have strength requirements. Some weapons have a % chance to get stuck in a zombie, so you can avoid those, and some weapons require 2 attacks to use, which is almost never worth it since you're not likely to one-shot a zombie. As such, the best weapon is the battle axe - it does as much damage as the chainsaw without the noise, won't get stuck in zombies, and has no strength requirement (despite weapons with a strength requirement that do less being plentiful). The game makes a big deal about katanas being awesome zombie-killing weapons so you can be Michonne from The Walking Dead, but the stats don't back it up - a lead pipe or crowbar does as much damage as a katana. Oh, and a Bo Staff does "2D46" in a bit of a typo, and quarterstaves do more than long staves. Is that right? Staves? Staffs? Well, in any case by the actual rules unless you gang up on a zombie going melee will probably just get you killed unless you're heavily armored, since zombies have that Armor Rating and do as much damage with a punch as tougher survivors do with the biggest melee weapons.

Armor gets its numbers, most of which is trading sneakiness for protection, with leather armor being adverted as the prime means of protection (the game even gets it bonus armor against zombies for no stated reason). There's also stats for skateboard pads and bike helmets, if you want to fight the undead to the max extreme. We go on with the laundry list of optic devices Palladium loves to death, generators, electronic devices, radios, and survival gear.

"How'd I light this cocktail? I have no idea!"

There are stats for vehicles though this game doesn't have detailed rules for using them. We have horses, bikes, and skateboards (don't seem practical but the game still thinks skating is rad). The game waxes more mastibatorily over motorcycles, and I don't feel like I'm picking on the book when I say that:

Dead Reign posted:

Yeah, they are sex on wheels, but sure as your denim jeans they will get you killed faster than any other bike.

Dead Reign posted:

Bobbers are the cat's meow when it comes to converting your heavy iron horse.

Not Dead Reign posted:

I call myself Brick unironically and I like to gently caress bikes.

It poo-poos street bikes as being risky and dangerous, cruisers as being too heavy to pick up after a spill, choppers as being style over substance, and suggests making heavy bikes into bobbers if you can. Enduros and dual sport bikes are held up as the ideal, with dirt bikes being good for offroad but otherwise full of drawbacks. We get information on protective wear and fuel, including suggestions on fuel life and using fuel stabilizers. Comparatively, other vehicles barely get any attention at all. We get four pages on motorcycles and two pages on: cars, trucks, planes, balloons, helicopters, personnel carriers, and tanks. Hell, skateboards get more attention than all cars. Campers aren't covered at all, oddly. I don't know why cars and trucks are picked on for being vulnerable when motorcycles offer no protection at all, but there you have it.

Next: A horde of slavering tables.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Then there's melee weapons, which boil down to "use the biggest weapon you're allowed to use for your strength", as some heavy weapons have strength requirements. Some weapons have a % chance to get stuck in a zombie, so you can avoid those, and some weapons require 2 attacks to use, which is almost never worth it since you're not likely to one-shot a zombie. As such, the best weapon is the battle axe - it does as much damage as the chainsaw without the noise, won't get stuck in zombies, and has no strength requirement (despite weapons with a strength requirement that do less being plentiful). The game makes a big deal about katanas being awesome zombie-killing weapons so you can be Michonne from The Walking Dead, but the stats don't back it up - a lead pipe or crowbar does as much damage as a katana. Oh, and a Bo Staff does "2D46" in a bit of a typo, and quarterstaves do more than long staves. Is that right? Staves? Staffs? Well, in any case by the actual rules unless you gang up on a zombie going melee will probably just get you killed unless you're heavily armored, since zombies have that Armor Rating and do as much damage with a punch as tougher survivors do with the biggest melee weapons.

Must be a Bo Staff from Rifts.

And the weird damage numbers remind me a little bit of Modern d20, where Nunchaku are just slightly lighter and cheaper clubs that you can't throw. And they require a Feat for proficiency.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Ugh, this book is like reading some 12-year-old boy's Original Zombie Apocalypse Plan (DO NOT STEAL).

"When the zombies rise, I'm gonna survive and be a hero cuz I'm gonna grab a sweet motorcycle while your getting eaten because YOU wanted a stupid katana, Kyle." :smug:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

ARB, Kevin Siembieda being a total knob is inspiring me to finally get off my rear end and review something I've been wishy-washy about tackling, so thanks for that.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
One good thing this book did is remind me of this classic:

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/zombie-plans-skewed/1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I wish I had links saved, but there are some great angry paragraphs about how terrible Kevin Siembieda is at pretty much everything.