Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

They gave you one "new" thing (you're really counting a barely up spec'd mbp with a slapped on gimmick literally no one wanted a. Ew thing? Ok.) when they would usually have a line of new things.

Oh I don't really care about the update, I don't expect apple to "reinvent the wheel" over and over which seems to be what people expect since the retina and unibody updates were so great. I'm am saying your claims of apple phasing out non tablet computing doesn't make sense in the context of them releasing a non tablet computer. I mean the 2016 MacBook Pro really isn't as bad as you make it out to be,and I will recommend it to friends despite the cranky port loyalists and so on just because my 2015 mbp owns so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Probably not too surprising but there is an ARM processor handling touch id / secure enclave with apple pay.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/28/apples-new-intel-driven-macbooks-have-a-secondary-arm-processor-that-runs-touch-id-and-security/

Also interesting is there's a stripped down version of the watchOS.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Haggins posted:

I think it comes down to real work. People who need to do real professional/technical work will need computers for a long time into the future. However, I think people who just need computers for daily living aren't going to need much more than an iPad. This is pretty obvious when it comes to pro level apps, but its true for even office suite work. Like for example I'm fine with doing my personal budget on excel or google sheets on my iPad, but at work there are time I need to have 3 or 4 sheets open to compare data and copy and paste between them or start building charts for powerpoint. This is something that could be on an iPad/tablet but it is also going to very difficult. I don't think apple or anyone else is going to find a good way of doing something basic like that on a tablet.
"4 spreadsheets at the same time" is a different understanding of "real work" than the typical Pro customer I would say.

Seems to me there's a difference between people who need screen estate, and people who need actual processing power.

bone app the teeth posted:

Do you browse the internet with one browser window and no tabs or something? A hand full of tabs and you are paging to disk.

This is generally how my usage looks while not working. Not running Xcode right now either.
It's not storing a full 12GB of data in that used RAM.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

ethanol posted:

Oh I don't really care about the update, I don't expect apple to "reinvent the wheel" over and over which seems to be what people expect since the retina and unibody updates were so great. I'm am saying your claims of apple phasing out non tablet computing doesn't make sense in the context of them releasing a non tablet computer. I mean the 2016 MacBook Pro really isn't as bad as you make it out to be,and I will recommend it to friends despite the cranky port loyalists and so on just because my 2015 mbp owns so much

Your 2015 mbp owns so much more. Recommend that to your friends.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
does anyone have any kind of explanation for how removing the SD slot makes any kind of sense as a business decision, given that apple aren't manufacturing an adaptor and given how much they actively promote their products to creatives, such as photographers and video editors? i honestly don't understand.

eames
May 9, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

does anyone have any kind of explanation for how removing the SD slot makes any kind of sense as a business decision, given that apple aren't manufacturing an adaptor and given how much they actively promote their products to creatives, such as photographers and video editors? i honestly don't understand.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

but... that's a lightning cable?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that's for phones, they don't make a laptop one (yet)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Instead of just giving us a touch screen in the Macbook Pro, Apple gave us a digital touch bar literally designed for easy access to emoji's. I am still trying to fully grasp this being an unironic feature that Apple came up with.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Calling it, the next Mini is going to be rebranded as an Apple TV trim line. It's going to be Apple's first MacOS computer running on an A11 chip.

And it will be even thinner
One HDMI port

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
It's all going touch, baby. This is just the pinky.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
So can the 13" Pro drive the 5K display? I only see the built-in Iris graphics so I'm thinking no.

If it can work that'd be rad. I was going to get a 15" MBP to replace my 13" MBA since 1440x900 blows, but since the 13 is now 2560x1600 I'm thinking I might be able to keep a 13" screen for the couch and plug-in to a large one and have the best of both worlds.

eames
May 9, 2009

Here's a nice picture I found on twitter.
Apple_2016.jpg

source: https://twitter.com/chrstnerode/

Strong Sauce posted:

but... that's a lightning cable?

Yes, that's the point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
so the point is they did it because of a totally unrelated product?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Instead of just giving us a touch screen in the Macbook Pro, Apple gave us a digital touch bar literally designed for easy access to emoji's. I am still trying to fully grasp this being an unironic feature that Apple came up with.
It actually looks more and more attractive to me the more I think about it.

Have you tried that?

Escobarbarian posted:

Apple just hates multiple port types I guess.

eames
May 9, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

so the point is they did it because of a totally unrelated product?

They are forcing iOS/iPads down everybody's throat. Macs for "Pros"*, iOS for the rest, including creatives.

*nobody knows who that is

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I think "Pro" now means "Prosumer" and not professional.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

WTF is that person doing with that dongle? I've been carrying one of those with my first-gen MacBook almost daily since release and it looks almost new

Hoecakes
Jan 5, 2012
Hi so recently, my mid-2012 15-inch Macbook Pro randomly shut off while it was plugged in. When I restarted it, it worked and continues to work perfectly fine other than it does not detect my charger at all.
I have tried resetting the SMC, and so far it still does not even detect my Macbook's battery. The LED light on the charger does not flash when plugged in either.

I doubt the issue is with the charger because I just bought a new one in the past few months and there doesn't appear to be any physical kinks/irregularities with the wiring, but I will try to troubleshoot this on someone's elses charger as soon as I get into contact with someone else who has a Macbook pro.

I was wonder if there was a battery issue. The cycle count limit on my battery is 1000 charge cycles and mine is already in the 3000's. Does this sound like a battery issue? If so, are there any recommended sites for buying Macbook batteries?

Is there anything else I should try? (obviously, my computer is way past warranty/applecare) Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Hoecakes posted:

I was wonder if there was a battery issue. The cycle count limit on my battery is 1000 charge cycles and mine is already in the 3000's. Does this sound like a battery issue?
:stonklol:

I mean, the battery could certainly have finally died of extreme old age, but if the light isn't even turning on the charger that sounds like something on the logic board might have blown up.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 29, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NeuralSpark posted:

WTF is that person doing with that dongle? I've been carrying one of those with my first-gen MacBook almost daily since release and it looks almost new

Some people are disgustingly filthy and don't know how to take care of and keep themselves clean, let alone their stuff.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Serious question - what are the chances that the Mac Minis get silently refreshed in the next two weeks? I seem to remember in the past, certain computers just getting a small spec bump after an event like last Thursdays. In the past when that happened, was it usually the next day? Or did it take a week or two?

Here's my situation - I'm married to Logic Pro. I've been running it on a 2008 iMac C2D since I bought it new in 2008. The past few years, it's been chugging. Now of course it's too legacy for macOS Sierra. On top of that, sometimes when I start it, it goes to a gray screen and never boots up. So far (knock on wood), if I hold down the power button to force it to turn off, then power it on again it boots fine. But I'd say it's been doing this one out of every 5 or 6 times I power it on.

I've already weighed the pros and cons of switching to Windows and ditching Logic Pro, but I'm an old Logic user, from back before Apple bought Logic. Plus, all the other DAW's comparable to Logic Pro seem to be $500+. So new Windows machine + new Digital Audio Workstation seems a bit steep, plus I don't really like Windows.

SO - I'm seriously thinking about buying a mid-range mac mini and maxing out the RAM. But I don't want to order it today and see them refreshed in a week or two. I don't really think that will happen, but thought I should get input before taking the plunge.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The company is stuck between printing money off a proprietary port (lightning) while moving all their laptops to the new universal standard (USB-C).

I foresee the money side winning and everybody just buying their overpriced USB-C to lightning cables. :smith:

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

They probably won't switch the iPhone until the 8.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gas this loving thread already

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

logikv9 posted:

The company is stuck between printing money off a proprietary port (lightning) while moving all their laptops to the new universal standard (USB-C).

I foresee the money side winning and everybody just buying their overpriced USB-C to lightning cables. :smith:

It would probably be better if it were standard but lighting port isn't a big deal. Lighting cords are the same price as USB cords. Paying $6 for an extra cable is nothing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Gas this loving thread already

No poo poo. I was hoping there'd be something else bright and shiny in the news to distract all these guttering intellects to bolt like frightened gazelle to another thread that desperately needs their input.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LabyaMynora posted:

Serious question - what are the chances that the Mac Minis get silently refreshed in the next two weeks?.

Zero

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
In an attempt to change the topic: is there anything cool you can do with one or the sunflower 15" (I think) iMacs? The one with the neat swiveling mechanic and the CPU etc. in the base. I have one of those sitting in a closet. The DVD drive is broken but wifi/Bluetooth works.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

LabyaMynora posted:

Serious question - what are the chances that the Mac Minis get silently refreshed in the next two weeks? I seem to remember in the past, certain computers just getting a small spec bump after an event like last Thursdays. In the past when that happened, was it usually the next day? Or did it take a week or two?

Here's my situation - I'm married to Logic Pro. I've been running it on a 2008 iMac C2D since I bought it new in 2008. The past few years, it's been chugging. Now of course it's too legacy for macOS Sierra. On top of that, sometimes when I start it, it goes to a gray screen and never boots up. So far (knock on wood), if I hold down the power button to force it to turn off, then power it on again it boots fine. But I'd say it's been doing this one out of every 5 or 6 times I power it on.

I've already weighed the pros and cons of switching to Windows and ditching Logic Pro, but I'm an old Logic user, from back before Apple bought Logic. Plus, all the other DAW's comparable to Logic Pro seem to be $500+. So new Windows machine + new Digital Audio Workstation seems a bit steep, plus I don't really like Windows.

SO - I'm seriously thinking about buying a mid-range mac mini and maxing out the RAM. But I don't want to order it today and see them refreshed in a week or two. I don't really think that will happen, but thought I should get input before taking the plunge.

For audio I think a recent Mac Mini would work well for you, you can get one with a decent i7 (for the size) in it and Logic doesn't rly on graphics which is the main weakness of Apple's lineup these days. It'll be a huge update to any 2008 Mac anyway, and it'll give you USB 3 and Thunderbolt. Another iMac could also be a good option, buying a last gen one shouldn't be much of a hit for what you want to do. Plus they might update them in a couple months, so you might be able to get a better deal on one if you wait a bit.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

IanTheM posted:

For audio I think a recent Mac Mini would work well for you, you can get one with a decent i7 (for the size) in it and Logic doesn't rly on graphics which is the main weakness of Apple's lineup these days. It'll be a huge update to any 2008 Mac anyway, and it'll give you USB 3 and Thunderbolt. Another iMac could also be a good option, buying a last gen one shouldn't be much of a hit for what you want to do. Plus they might update them in a couple months, so you might be able to get a better deal on one if you wait a bit.

Thank you for your input. I've decided against another iMac because I feel like I would've upgraded years ago if I didn't have to worry about buying a monitor, too. (The 2008 iMac can't be used as a "target mode" monitor or whatever.) I bought a monitor today (needed a second monitor for working from home on my work's Dell laptop anyway), so I'm thinking mac mini would be easier to move on from in a few years while using the same monitor. Whether I move on to a new Mac desktop or switch to Windows will depend on what's out there in a few years.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SourKraut posted:

For what it's worth I do PDF markups and drawing redlines on an iPad Pro and it's great with the Apple pencil. It's definitely nice having it out in the field during construction instead of an unweieldly set of drawings or specs.

Are you redlining on PDFs or using other apps to do it? Just got a bunch of iPads for my field planners and would love some app ideas to improve their lives. We still use a ton of paper but that's what happens when you're a 150 year old gas utility....

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Are you redlining on PDFs or using other apps to do it? Just got a bunch of iPads for my field planners and would love some app ideas to improve their lives. We still use a ton of paper but that's what happens when you're a 150 year old gas utility....
Check the iOS Apps Megathread but I use GoodReader for PDF management and markup.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hoecakes posted:

Hi so recently, my mid-2012 15-inch Macbook Pro randomly shut off while it was plugged in. When I restarted it, it worked and continues to work perfectly fine other than it does not detect my charger at all.
I have tried resetting the SMC, and so far it still does not even detect my Macbook's battery. The LED light on the charger does not flash when plugged in either.

I doubt the issue is with the charger because I just bought a new one in the past few months and there doesn't appear to be any physical kinks/irregularities with the wiring, but I will try to troubleshoot this on someone's elses charger as soon as I get into contact with someone else who has a Macbook pro.

I was wonder if there was a battery issue. The cycle count limit on my battery is 1000 charge cycles and mine is already in the 3000's. Does this sound like a battery issue? If so, are there any recommended sites for buying Macbook batteries?

Is there anything else I should try? (obviously, my computer is way past warranty/applecare) Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Make an appointment and bring it to an Apple store. They'll run some tests on it and then you can decide if it's worth paying whatever they want to repair it (bring the charger as well). Diagnosing hardware problems is hard enough that it's not really worth the effort since Apple will do it for free anyway.

3000 cycles on the battery seems crazy, though, that's literally averaging 2 full charge cycles per day, how did you pull that off?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

bone app the teeth posted:

Do you browse the internet with one browser window and no tabs or something? A hand full of tabs and you are paging to disk.

This is generally how my usage looks while not working. Not running Xcode right now either.

You do realize the RAM isn't just for looking at? That it's actually best used when allocated? :troll:

I mean I get it - some apps are fat fucks but I've got a MBA 11" with 8GB of RAM running Parallels with a Win10 VM and 4GB allocated just fine while having like 20 tabs open in Safari, Spotify, and a few other apps. Despite all that, I don't feel like I've got any memory usage issues and system runs fine.

What is it you're doing that is causing such noticeable swapping?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zwille posted:

In an attempt to change the topic: is there anything cool you can do with one or the sunflower 15" (I think) iMacs? The one with the neat swiveling mechanic and the CPU etc. in the base. I have one of those sitting in a closet. The DVD drive is broken but wifi/Bluetooth works.

Mac OS 9 classic games machine.
Not much else, really.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Not much because finding software for them is really difficult. I guess you might find old physical copies, but good luck finding good download links for programs made for a wholly different chipset on an already niche platform that haven't been updated in a decade.

They are neat though. I wish Apple hadn't abandoned the articulating arm so quickly.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
In another engineering win for the Macbook Pro they put the headphone port on the right :bravo:

I can't wait to fight the cord whenever I move from trackpad/mouse to keyboard, popping it out at some times, because like 93% of people I'm right handed.

(It was properly on the left in the previous edition, back when they designed good things)

wide stance fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 30, 2016

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
But... that's the side the mouse goes on. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Housh posted:

I think "Pro" now means "Prosumer" and not professional.

It's meant that since about 2006.