Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Magmarashi posted:

This game looks incredible and has been sitting my in wishlist forever but my sea-related anxiety keeps me from jumping in.

I have intense thassalophobia and gently caress this game looks great but i can barely log 5 minutes before the terror grips me and I turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have you considered telling yourself that it's just a game?

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

Magmarashi posted:

This game looks incredible and has been sitting my in wishlist forever but my sea-related anxiety keeps me from jumping in.

I suffer from a similar problem, usually just cheating off aggressive animals solves my issues.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Cojawfee posted:

Have you considered telling yourself that it's just a game?

That's not how phobias work at all and I'm sure that they'd have already done this if it was that only just that simple. Please be considerate to people affected by them or other issues that might cause discomfort while playing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

HiKaizer posted:

That's not how phobias work at all and I'm sure that they'd have already done this if it was that only just that simple. Please be considerate to people affected by them or other issues that might cause discomfort while playing.

Ok, I'll try to be considerate of people on the internet. Thanks for your input.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, I'll try to be considerate of people on the internet. Thanks for your input.

Do you need to talk to someone?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Arknautica

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Gonna be trying a new start again to see if the hordes of enemies bug has been fixed. I couldn't find any: are there patch notes somewhere wich list bug fixes and other such balance changes?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Have you considered telling yourself it's just a forum?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Exposure therapy helps with phobias so just jump in and go try to pet a crabsquid!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dyz posted:

Have you considered telling yourself it's just a forum?

Please be considerate of things that cause me discomfort while posting.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

Exposure therapy helps with phobias so just jump in and go try to pet a crabsquid!

Sadly exposure therapy is not the universal fix-it that armchair therapists think it is.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well now I don't know what to do. I avoided predator spam in previous save, what if I get it now?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Thankfully the game is more "gradual exposure therapy", like it literally starts you in the shallow end and trains you to slowly explore further and further. In fact it's pretty much an ideal metaphor for that process

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I'm not saying this is some magical "It's just a game :downs:" fix, and I hardly have a phobia myself?

What discomforts I did have at the impenetrable darkness was erased by the fact, indeed, it is a video game. Not because it isn't real, but because because of videogame shortcomings.

You are not surrounded by darkness. You are surrounded by draw distance. Having the most powerful spotlight in the univesre doesn't matter, when there is nothing rendered yet for it to shine on :downs: And the nth time something you could not see with a spotlight shining in it's direction, suddenly pops into view visible even if you didn't have a flashlight on at all, furthers that realization.

I came to this mindset when I was in the large caves complex full of giant house sized glowing mushrooms. And saw that even a 100% permanently well lit biome would still just blank out into an impenetrable void past the rendering threshold, and then flip back on like a light switch once you got close enough again. In that case, it was quite far away when it happened rather than "Oh, THERE's the Ground/mushroom tree now that I'm about to crash into it". But considering, you know, entire caves full of the most illumination? That still stands out in my mind more than having to suddenly swerve out of the way of scenery in your mini sub.

I would have suggested trying to spend as much time as possible with the ground in view, when your depth limits and air supply can handle it... But I expect "If I'm near the ground, that removes all sense of existential dread!" is why the Devs invented sand sharks.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 28, 2016

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
If you have thassalophobia this game may cure you, but it also might kill you. I don't know if I have it and just never knew, or if this game gave it to me. But if you really have a honest-to-god diagnosed case of ocean phobia, not just goony goon gently caress THE OCEAN phobia but a legit issue, the first time you swim out into the dark ocean where you can't see the ground and A loving REAPER EATS YOU HOLY GODDAMN poo poo it might actually not in the game but for real kill you like some major league Pandemonium Warden poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want a Mega-Prawn suit that allows me to beat up a reaper and possibly tame it to ride it around like a giant sinewy water horsey.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
If anyone is worried about this game exacerbating their phobias, they should definitely talk to their psychologist or therapist first. A bunch of goons on the internet are never going to give you the best advice or feedback.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I have issues with being in water where I can't see the bottom due to almost drowning in the ocean when I was ~10, and at first this game could make me feel really uncomfortable in certain spots, but eventually that faded to the point where it was no longer much of an problem in-game.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah I still get pretty anxious when I'm paddling along the surface or in deep water in the game but my heart doesn't nearly stop (as often) when I'm in the open water and I spook myself. What's weird is the game has taught me that I'm actually fine with giant fuckoff monsters swimming at me, it's not being able to see below me that freaks me out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wish this game could scare me like when I first played. Once you see the code of the matrix of any game, it loses the magic.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Plek posted:

Yeah I still get pretty anxious when I'm paddling along the surface or in deep water in the game but my heart doesn't nearly stop (as often) when I'm in the open water and I spook myself. What's weird is the game has taught me that I'm actually fine with giant fuckoff monsters swimming at me, it's not being able to see below me that freaks me out.

When I first got this game the first thing that popped into my head was "this concept would be great for survival horror".

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I was attempting to be somewhat humorous please don't try to pet the crabsquid.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Looks like they're removing the terraformer in the next update on the 17th of Nov. hopefully that also means a fix to the pop in problem

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I once went free diving off of a boat in Turkey in the open ocean. (Mediterranean) I have always been a very comfortable swimmer. The water was incredibly clear and I could see another boat at least 100m away. Below me was absolute blue with no darkening or sense of distance. The only reference point was the anchor chain, so i decided to swim down and see if I could see the bottom. I swam down and as I did I had the weirdest sense. The only sign I was moving was the anchor chain passing and since I had fins on I knew I was good distance down. Cue one of the most intense moments of existential terror I have ever had in my life.

I looked up the chain at the boat which seemed like 60 feet away (I can't vouch for that as water distorts distances and I had very little frame of reference) All around me was BLUE and I could not tell if I was looking 6 feet or 600 feet. I kept feeling like something was going to appear out of the BLUE and swim at me. Looking at the boat made it worse. There was this very long anchor chain going up to what appeared to be a tiny boat and I could see the swimmers in the other boat and they looked like ants. The boat itself looking like a toy. Below them the ocean seemed to be miles and miles deep. Anything could be under them. I felt at once both claustrophobic and agoraphobic. On the way back up I was convinced that I was going to be grabbed by something. That same feeling you get as a kid climbing the stairs at night. Something will reach out and grab your ankle. Except in my case I was imagining everything from Jaws to a giant squid. I am still totally fine in the ocean but that creeped me out. My Dad who is also a lifetime swimmer felt a similar feeling and ironically my brother who had a lifelong fear of the ocean and sharks and only recently started swimming again had no worries.

So when someone tells me they suffer from a fear of the ocean, even without ever going in it. I would never give them any poo poo. There is a ton of legitimate reasons to be freaked out under there . Reaper Leviathans or not.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Lonos Oboe posted:

I once went free diving off of a boat in Turkey in the open ocean. (Mediterranean) I have always been a very comfortable swimmer. The water was incredibly clear and I could see another boat at least 100m away. Below me was absolute blue with no darkening or sense of distance. The only reference point was the anchor chain, so i decided to swim down and see if I could see the bottom. I swam down and as I did I had the weirdest sense. The only sign I was moving was the anchor chain passing and since I had fins on I knew I was good distance down. Cue one of the most intense moments of existential terror I have ever had in my life.

I looked up the chain at the boat which seemed like 60 feet away (I can't vouch for that as water distorts distances and I had very little frame of reference) All around me was BLUE and I could not tell if I was looking 6 feet or 600 feet. I kept feeling like something was going to appear out of the BLUE and swim at me. Looking at the boat made it worse. There was this very long anchor chain going up to what appeared to be a tiny boat and I could see the swimmers in the other boat and they looked like ants. The boat itself looking like a toy. Below them the ocean seemed to be miles and miles deep. Anything could be under them. I felt at once both claustrophobic and agoraphobic. On the way back up I was convinced that I was going to be grabbed by something. That same feeling you get as a kid climbing the stairs at night. Something will reach out and grab your ankle. Except in my case I was imagining everything from Jaws to a giant squid. I am still totally fine in the ocean but that creeped me out. My Dad who is also a lifetime swimmer felt a similar feeling and ironically my brother who had a lifelong fear of the ocean and sharks and only recently started swimming again had no worries.

So when someone tells me they suffer from a fear of the ocean, even without ever going in it. I would never give them any poo poo. There is a ton of legitimate reasons to be freaked out under there . Reaper Leviathans or not.

Just reading this made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and my spine to scream at me.

Game *is* fun but I still get feelings of intense dread and stabs of anxiety if I see or hear something I wasn't expecting to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

I have intense thassalophobia and gently caress this game looks great but i can barely log 5 minutes before the terror grips me and I turn it off.

You mean you're a sane person.

I don't have a particular fear of the ocean except for my understanding of exactly how big and unexplored it is, and that swimming in open ocean should be a near identical experience to being 10km up in the air, there is that much impenetrable void below you.

It does give me vertigo though, and the game is quite good at giving the image of just how deep the ocean is, even though it's less than a tenth scale.

It's also worth noting that in the actual ocean no amount of light is going to help when the primary obstruction to visibility is obscuring particles in the water, you are essentially swimming in fog, no amount of water clarity will help with that because if you put light into the water it will just diffuse and create more visible fog. So draw distance is actually most realistic underwater.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 5, 2016

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

It's almost like we instinctually have a fear of being in an environment where we can easily die or get get eaten by something... wonder why that could possibly be.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Met posted:

Update time!

Kudos on having a cool as hell stylized protagonist that isn't Generic White Guy #17 in this game.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

OwlFancier posted:

You mean you're a sane person.

I don't have a particular fear of the ocean except for my understanding of exactly how big and unexplored it is, and that swimming in open ocean should be a near identical experience to being 10km up in the air, there is that much impenetrable void below you.

It does give me vertigo though, and the game is quite good at giving the image of just how deep the ocean is, even though it's less than a tenth scale.

It's also worth noting that in the actual ocean no amount of light is going to help when the primary obstruction to visibility is obscuring particles in the water, you are essentially swimming in fog, no amount of water clarity will help with that because if you put light into the water it will just diffuse and create more visible fog. So draw distance is actually most realistic underwater.

What's crazy is if you take a globe and rotate it so the middle of the Pacific Ocean is facing you it's like 80% open water. It's an entire hemisphere of water. :psyduck:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I swim very well, was taken to the pool for swimming lessons when i was 4. And than continued to play water polo until 18. So i feel rather comfortable at sea, even in bad weather and big waves, but you must always remember this big wave you ride on a surfing board for example has the power to crush you. Its a force of nature.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Isn't there supposed to be another big content patch soon? I thought there was something coming in the middle of November.

e: oh yeah, I can check the roadmap. It's the 22nd, but it's not really a content patch. The December patch looks like it'll have some big stuff, though.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Haven't played since September and man I do like the latest update. I'm noticing a lot more polished flavor bits.

Also I got into a staring match with a mesmer just for the hell of it and son of a bitch it made my suit or PDA or whatever say all kinds of creepy poo poo. gently caress.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Honky Dong Country posted:

Haven't played since September and man I do like the latest update. I'm noticing a lot more polished flavor bits.

Also I got into a staring match with a mesmer just for the hell of it and son of a bitch it made my suit or PDA or whatever say all kinds of creepy poo poo. gently caress.

Does it still have the sound effect I will always associate with Rob Zombie?

https://soundcloud.com/kamakazi/mezmer-trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUcavDoSbYQ

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Loving this game so far but can only play it in 30 minute chunks. With thalassophobia, my heart can't take sudden Reaper Leviathan out of nowhere.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Yeah I actually listen to the Mesmer dialog at various points in my custom playlist when playing other games. "It is your primary objective to swim closer to that BEAU TI FUL creature" Hey Butthead, I think I'm freaking out. Uh, okay.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
https://soundcloud.com/kamakazi/mezmer-trip
Enjoy!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You guys heard about that new Discovery Kids TV show that is basically... Subnautica (stylistically speaking)?

Since the show is just a pretty close adaptation of the comic apparently, and the comic predates Subnautica, it's not actually cribbing anything. I'm guessing it's just that both have standard "sci fi" designs combined with standard "actual oceangoing designs" results.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 16, 2016

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
The show is apparently called "The Deep" according to google and here is a clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWM84TSGnjc

That design aesthetic is pretty drat close. Especially the Asian looking girl with the dyed streak. And you can include in that almost everything else. I can see a lot of Subnautica fans pointlessly losing their poo poo over this. (Like Halo fans bitching about the Marine aesthetics in Avatar when Halo is a pretty close rip off of Aliens) Personally, I think it looks pretty good for cheap rear end kids tv and if Subnautica borrowed design ideas from it then great. It's a unique and cool look.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am hoping we can eventually explore off the shelf down into the abyssal plain - going down like thousands of meters.