Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BANME.sh posted:

He also did some long rear end spoken word album and the digital download files were aiffs or some poo poo, and nobody could play them unless you used QuickTime on a mac

I'm genuinely interested in knowing more about this since MOST of the time, AIF/AIFF files should play on anything, just like WAV files.

Unfortunately, they can also be a 'container' file format, which means that there could be restrictions.

EDIT: Ugh, new page, and I poo poo it up with dumb audio format talk. Sorry :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

He also did some long rear end spoken word album and the digital download files were aiffs or some poo poo, and nobody could play them unless you used QuickTime on a mac

The dead emcee scrolls? It's awesome. I liked the book a lot but the audio version is superb. A lot of the lyrics on Niggy Tardust came from the book iirc.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Bump, T-Rez and Atticus are scoring the movie Patriot's Day about the Boston Marathon bombing.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Anonymous John posted:

Bump, T-Rez and Atticus are scoring the movie Patriot's Day about the Boston Marathon bombing.

*yawns so mightily the walls shake, picture frames fall down, and things are left generally disheveled*

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I give zero fucks about that movie, but I'll listen to the score.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Wasn't there supposed to be an actual album this year aaah. So don't care about more ambient background stuffs.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

he just posted a lil instagram note '2016 isn't over yet'

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

We are getting a new years Eve release

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It just seems weird since he's on a label again, and we know how glacial things move. Usually you hear about an album many months in advance. I have faith though.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It's gonna be Strobe Light guys.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

extradite THIS! posted:

It's gonna be Strobe Light guys.

Please let it be this. :pray:

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Gonna blast laid paid & played all night long. :dance:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
pussy control bay baaaaaaaaaay!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

magiccarpet posted:

he just posted a lil instagram note '2016 isn't over yet'

I'm guessing this is the Lost Highway soundtrack vinyl release?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
It's a meathead tribute double album.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

spamman posted:

It's a meathead tribute double album.

any excuse to post this is the best excuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ZMKfFHU3U

e: this is eight years old jesus christ

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hello

https://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/784429707605389312

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Molestationary Store posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be an actual album this year aaah. So don't care about more ambient background stuffs.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The new song has lyrics though.

It's definitely not NIN though. Gimme some sick beats.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Getting a Right Where It Belongs vibe from that one.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I like Trent's ambient soundtrack work over the last several years better than most NIN songs he's put out during the same period tbh

and yeah I like what I'm hearing from this new soundtrack but the movie itself looks p bad

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The rest of the album is out now.

Also this article was posted today:

Trent Reznor posted:

He said, “We’ve been working on Nine Inch Nails stuff.” He later added with regard to all of his work, “Things are going good, and when we have something that we think is excellent we will unleash it upon the world.” Earlier this month, he left open the possibility that the band will release new music in 2016. Reznor also discussed his and Ross’ score for Mark Wahlberg’s forthcoming 2013 Boston Marathon bombing movie, Patriot Day.
http://pitchfork.com/news/69152-trent-reznor-working-on-nine-inch-nails-stuff-shares-new-track-with-atticus-ross-listen/

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Anyone give the soundtrack a listen yet?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

magiccarpet posted:

I have. It's pretty mellow, but that's not exactly unexpected considering the other band on it is Mogwai. The Reznor/Ross tracks are reminiscent of the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo soundtrack, good but not as catchy as the Social Network stuff. The one posted above is the only one with lyrics.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

magiccarpet posted:

Yeah it's good I really enjoyed it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The only thing I'm looking forward to is more Nine Inch Nails. How To Destroy Angels was meh, I'm over his instrumental stuff, I'm fine with leaving the memories alone on the live stuff and, even as a person, I don't like him anymore. But Hesitation Marks was mostly good, even if the name was retarded.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Call Me Charlie posted:

even as a person, I don't like him anymore.

Care to explain? Genuinely curious, not judging or anything.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Care to explain? Genuinely curious, not judging or anything.

Call Me Charlie from 2014 posted:

Man, remember when the Grammys were "old media propping up their puppets trying to convince the outside world (and each other) they're relevant" and record labels were antiquated dinosaurs and Jimmy Iovine was the idiot who wanted him to make an "urban" album and everything seemed so fresh and the world seemed so big?

Me neither...

You can expand that to working for Apple Music as the Chief Creative Officer, using his position to get Zane Lowe a gig, taking the company's position in the press against YouTube, singing a ditty for Leonardo DiCaprio's vanity project, being one of many hollywood dopes to say 'i'm from a place that's been raped to death by free trade...but we gotta support hillary clinton', etc, etc, etc.

Basically, he's a giant contradiction. And not even in a fun way like Prince was.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 30, 2016

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know whether any of that is enough to actively dislike a person over, but I guess it is disappointing how fast he backpedaled on the whole going it alone thing. We got a lot of neat stuff in that short time period and almost nothing since.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
He's an adult that realized making connections and friendships with industry people is more sustainable long term than being an angsty pariah. What would be more contradictory and sad is if he kept up the same tired schtick from from 1996 all the way into his 50s - take a look at marilyn manson if you want an example of where that gets you.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BANME.sh posted:

He's an adult that realized making connections and friendships with industry people is more sustainable long term than being an angsty pariah. What would be more contradictory and sad is if he kept up the same tired schtick from from 1996 all the way into his 50s - take a look at marilyn manson if you want an example of where that gets you.

He was already in his 40s when he took those positions. It isn't like I'm saying he should put back on the short shorts and roll around in some corn flour.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 30, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

marilyn manson is a boring tv actor now I think he probably made the same realization.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can expand that to working for Apple Music as the Chief Creative Officer, using his position to get Zane Lowe a gig, taking the company's position in the press against YouTube, singing a ditty for Leonardo DiCaprio's vanity project, being one of many hollywood dopes to say 'i'm from a place that's been raped to death by free trade...but we gotta support hillary clinton', etc, etc, etc.

Basically, he's a giant contradiction. And not even in a fun way like Prince was.

Kinda sounds like you're a conservative that's salty that he's liberal. Why is doing a song for a documentary such a sore spot?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
TFW you realize maybe putting your music out for free wasn't going to work out so you find different ways to help the music industry

JUST Kidding i mean gently caress what a sellout am i rgiht

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I think he's realized that as a middle aged family man he's more less run out of relevant things to sing about, so he's content doing soundtracks where he can still make bleepy bloop music and get paid up front for it. I don't necessarily blame him for that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Leon Einstein posted:

Kinda sounds like you're a conservative that's salty that he's liberal. Why is doing a song for a documentary such a sore spot?

It's actually the opposite. I'm a progressive that's salty that he's willing to toe the company line and participate in the Hollywood 'lets jack off in each others mouths and pretend we're changing the world' club.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

TFW you realize maybe putting your music out for free wasn't going to work out so you find different ways to help the music industry

JUST Kidding i mean gently caress what a sellout am i rgiht

Help the music industry by launching a spotify clone with a radio stream :jerkbag: Do artists get more control? No. Do artists get paid better? No. The only thing that's changed is he's on the payroll and willing to turn a blind eye now. Maybe Google or Spotify should try cutting him a check so he stops motherfucking them in the press. (Or maybe he could try remembering that he's the person who put all of interscope's ip NIN's videos on YouTube and he's the guy who was promoting Spotify as an OiNK/what alternative before it even launched in the us)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 30, 2016

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lol

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

BANME.sh posted:

Or Billy Corgan, who has gone full illuminati.

Funny enough MM and SP did a joint tour last year.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

Or Billy Corgan, who has gone full illuminati.

Funny enough MM and SP did a joint tour last year.

Corgan is trying to buy a near dead wrestling organization, someone should take away his checkbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

The only thing I'm looking forward to is more Nine Inch Nails.

Hey man you need to cheer up, this isn't a healthy state of mind to be in