Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Lycus posted:

William might not be rich though, seems like this is a gift in lieu of a bachelor party.

I think he's there on business grounds with his to-be brother-in-law. At least the guy was going for that at some point, "everything is business".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

nerdman42 posted:

Wait, going through that Westworld site and saw the $40k price tag: are most of the guests just rich assholes? I don't mind a "humans are the true evil" story but I adore a "rich people can be real dicks" stories. And it kind of adds some more depth to the world for me.

The 40k was mentioned on the show at some point, I think.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The 40k was mentioned on the show at some point, I think.

Yeah, when Logan was bitching about the bounty quest.

I wonder what Logan's best ride in the park is.

And what the hell was Logan waiting in Sweetwater for? Hector's attack?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 30, 2016

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So, how is this show? I've seen mixed reviews, saying it's better than Game of Thrones or terrible poo poo.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So, how is this show? I've seen mixed reviews, saying it's better than Game of Thrones or terrible poo poo.

Yes.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I think the production quality is at or slightly below GoT. The story is way out there though, lots of sci-fi and "who knows what" with no clear answers. I think it will appeal to less people but to those it appeals to might end up even being more appealing than GoT. It also could end up like Lost.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
It's tough to say if this show will get mass appeal--I don't think there's any way it does GOT numbers but then I don't know that anything ever has. It's superb in every way but the premise is so loving weird

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bubblegum Cop posted:

It's tough to say if this show will get mass appeal--I don't think there's any way it does GOT numbers but then I don't know that anything ever has. It's superb in every way but the premise is so loving weird
TWD is the highest ratest scripted show on TV.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Why not just spend and hour and watch and see?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I find it hard to be objective, because I was never not going to watch this. But here goes:

It's an interesting show. The cast and production are top notch, as is the storytelling so far in my opinion.

It's not really going to cover any ground Humans/Real Humans hasn't already I don't think, but those weren't exactly covering new ground either so gently caress it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Subscribe to a HBO Now and find out for yourself.

It has a free one month trial period.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Josh Lyman posted:

TWD is the highest ratest scripted show on TV.

It's fanbase is terrible. The kind of people who proudly dress their children in "Little rear end-Kicker" onesies.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Right now, the plot is scattering interesting hooks all over the place, and following up on some of them with "oh poo poo" moments you'd expect from a season finale. A year from now, we may all be fed up with an unsolvable tangle of disconnected leads (Lost, I'm looking at you), but so far it feels tightly written and deliberately executed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

tooterfish posted:

I find it hard to be objective, because I was never not going to watch this. But here goes:

It's an interesting show. The cast and production are top notch, as is the storytelling so far.

It's not really going to cover any ground Humans/Real Humans hasn't already I don't think, but those weren't exactly covering new ground either so gently caress it.

Humans/Real Humans didn't cover any new ground either. Every aspect of AI/androids has been thoroughly done. It's all about digging the story/characters.

Pixelante posted:

Right now, the plot is scattering interesting hooks all over the place, and following up on some of them with "oh poo poo" moments you'd expect from a season finale. A year from now, we may all be fed up with an unsolvable tangle of disconnected leads (Lost, I'm looking at you), but so far it feels tightly written and deliberately executed.

We all know this thread's gonna be chock full of hatewatchers in two years.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 30, 2016

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Lycus posted:

We all know this thread's gonna be chock full of hatewatchers in two years.

I once wrote an extensive OP for Sons of Anarchy, so I'm not the most reliable compass of successful TV.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pixelante posted:

I once wrote an extensive OP for Sons of Anarchy, so I'm not the most reliable compass of successful TV.

Gross.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
One of the more interesting little unique things this show does is meta commentary really well. The man in black talks about games in the park and all this, but he's also sort of referring to the story we're watching too. It doesn't break the fourth wall at all, but it seems like they're exploring some cool stuff in the meta narrative and the writers seem to have a good understanding of the audience's experience throughout.

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

Lycus posted:

Humans/Real Humans didn't cover any new ground either. Every aspect of AI/androids has been thoroughly done. It's all about digging the story/characters.

Why did you feel the need to restate the post you're quoting?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I laughed at the MMO bit when Logan got excited over finding a better pistol than the starting one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

etalian posted:

I laughed at the MMO bit when Logan got excited over finding a better pistol than the starting one.

TFR goons: was that really an upgrade?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Wax Lion posted:

Why did you feel the need to restate the post you're quoting?
I think he did that thing where you forget to read to the end before you reflexively start posting.

We all do it from time to time, no biggie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

TFR goons: was that really an upgrade?

The LaMet revolver was actually very bad irl
:goonsay:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

etalian posted:

The LaMet revolver was actually very bad irl

The LeMat revolver was an egregious example, but due to bad metallurgy and other factors beyond the control of the gunsmiths at the time, basically everything from back then was a jammy, explode-y, unreliable piece of crap compared to modern guns. The second revolver Logan picked up was just shinier and newer-looking I'd guess.

Oh wait I forgot something.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Oh and there is an enormous difference between the gun powder of the period and the modern version.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The MiB will make it through the maze, only to find out that it actually leads to Medieval World.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

etalian posted:

The MiB will make it through the maze, only to find out that it actually leads to Medieval World.

How do the swords work?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Lycus posted:

How do the swords work?

Magnets

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

But how do magnets work

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Fiddledty fi and fiddledy fee, this fool has a riddle for thee. Hast thou ever did take pause to ponder the very nature of thy reality? Prithee, good sirrah, mayhaps what thine eyes perceive be but a passing - Ow! Mine scalp! I needeth that to live!"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

El Jeffe posted:

But how do magnets work

Goons are the worst at watching physics class.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

That's funny, I would have said based on your post that goons were the worst at getting jokes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Jeffe posted:

But how do magnets work

Is there a JuggaloWorld?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Pixelante posted:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Nanomachines, got it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
simulation swords. They hit people and will hurt but not cut them, and the hosts have millions of articulated micro charges that explode on contact.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Simuswords

They become blunt if nearing a guest

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

El Jeffe posted:

Nanomachines, got it.

We already went over this and it's simunition, the magnets shoot it

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holographic swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
My wife informed me that she was going as Delores for Halloween. Unfortunately the costume isn't just her naked in a chair discussing existentialism with old men.

• Locked thread